Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Is outright accusing them of trying to suborn perjury a new line? Probably, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

This almost feels like a cliche comic book thing, like Muller is some sort of Batman-esque character who is explaining to his protege how criminals are a stupid and cowardly lot, and we can get them to lead us right to the head. Yet, it’s working.

All we need is Trump yelling “Drat! How did he find us here?” when they walk in the door with indictments in hand.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
We haven't scored enough extra indictments and bonus perjuries to get the good ending yet. We must keep going :devil:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/1067776626795126784

My brain hurts.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Wilhelm posted:

Some pretty brazen retweets by Donnie today including a:

'RT if you agree: If you weren't born in the United States, you should receive $0 assistance.'

So we're against the legal immigrants now too?

There is a wild undercurrent of American Conservatism that basically sees immigrants as a resource to be exploited for the benefit of America. A sort of reverse-colonialism, if you will.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
When he talks about the McCarthy era, it's notable that Roy Cohn was Trump's mentor.

Wilhelm posted:

'RT if you agree: If you weren't born in the United States, you should receive $0 assistance.'

It's his Stormy/Melania policy.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Ripoff posted:

This almost feels like a cliche comic book thing, like Muller is some sort of Batman-esque character who is explaining to his protege how criminals are a stupid and cowardly lot, and we can get them to lead us right to the head. Yet, it’s working.

All we need is Trump yelling “Drat! How did he find us here?” when they walk in the door with indictments in hand.

It’s almost as if Mueller is competent. But he’s not rich, therefore he can’t be competent or smart.

Quite a conundrum.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Wilhelm posted:

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1067775734234656768

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ripoff posted:

Yeah, it's just as likely the guy handling the Manafort plea forgot to include the gag order in the paperwork and this entire investigation has just been completely hosed by a paperwork error.

That's a lot more believable.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Ripoff posted:

Republican institution known for projection turns it's focus onto other republicans and finds themselves capable of actually getting into the criminal's mindset for once!

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

The guy investigating me and my deputy Attorney General should be tried for treason.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ringo Star Get posted:

That Boris Epshtyn Guy is 36 years old?! Christ he looks like he’s about to hit 55. It’s great to see that being a soul-sucking ghoul of a person ages you a full decade or so.

Jesus Christ, how is he the same age as me?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

there's a sealed lawsuit making its way up on appeal from some still-unknown person trying to avoid testifying to the grand jury, so matt miller might have a point here

https://twitter.com/matthewamiller/status/1067776493999271937
https://twitter.com/matthewamiller/status/1067778143036063745

also roger stone has no idea what the SCO is asking people to do

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Chilichimp posted:

Yeah, it's just as likely the guy handling the Manafort plea forgot to include the gag order in the paperwork and this entire investigation has just been completely hosed by a paperwork error.

That's a lot more believable.

no offense but it's really not loving likely at all that someone just 'forgot' to add a gag order they used in other pleas, 'the guy handling the Manafort plea' is a team of the most experienced prosecutors the DOJ has

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ripoff posted:

"CITY LAUGHS AT TRUMP'S BONER"

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Easy Diff posted:

"CITY LAUGHS AT TRUMP'S BONER"

"I'LL SHOW THEM HOW MANY BONERS THE DONALD CAN MAKE!"

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

American President disseminates Russian propaganda bot who posts Russian propaganda about prosecuting Americans who may have pursued investigating the creation and dissemination of Russian propaganda.

Coen brothers music plays in background.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

eke out posted:

no offense but it's really not loving likely at all that someone just 'forgot' to add a gag order they used in other pleas, 'the guy handling the Manafort plea' is a team of the most experienced prosecutors the DOJ has

And a few years ago Elvis Dumervil left Denver and played for the Ravens because his extremely high priced sports agent couldn't get his fax machine to work and his deal window expired.

I'm not saying it's the likeliest thing, but "Mueller is batman lawyer and x-men prosecutors who have acme box/stick/string trapped the president in lies" feels like a stretch right now. Yes, even with Giuliani giving him legal advice.

I want it to be true, but it seeeeeeeeems like hope in a world where I learned to stop hoping for poo poo a while ago.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

quote:

“It’s all fear-based, and frankly it’s based upon selfishness — ‘I’m going to lose something by them coming in,’” Bundy said of the anti-migrant rhetoric. “I think that’s incorrect. But also to base your arguments or your motives or your actions upon fear is a very dangerous thing to do.”

Even Ammon Bundy sounds sane compared to Trump :psyduck:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Chilichimp posted:

And a few years ago Elvis Dumervil left Denver and played for the Ravens because his extremely high priced sports agent couldn't get his fax machine to work and his deal window expired.

I'm not saying it's the likeliest thing, but "Mueller is batman lawyer and x-men prosecutors who have acme box/stick/string trapped the president in lies" feels like a stretch right now. Yes, even with Giuliani giving him legal advice.

I want it to be true, and I hope that it is, but it seeeeeeeeems like hope in a world where I learned to stop hoping for poo poo a while ago.

There's a reasonable middle ground where they knew this was a possibility and acted accordingly—being careful to avoid telling Manafort anything they wouldn't be comfortable with Trump knowing, then seeing what happened—but were not executing some devious master plan to catch trump in a lie.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Bubbacub posted:

How frequently do cattle ranchers employ undocumented workers and benefit from the lack of payroll taxes?

skylined! fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 28, 2018

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

skylined! posted:

How frequently to cattle ranchers employ undocumented workers and benefit from the lack of payroll taxes?

Great point; only when a situation explicitly effects a Republican does it acknowledge the nature of the problem it refused to even see before.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

skylined! posted:

How frequently to cattle ranchers employ undocumented workers and benefit from the lack of payroll taxes?

This is it. He became friends with some of the undocumented workers he employed.

Conservative empathy is just personal experience.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

skylined! posted:

How frequently do cattle ranchers employ undocumented workers and benefit from the lack of payroll taxes?

Farmers use underpaid undocumented work approximately 100% of the time

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

one of my favorite things to come of this are tweets like

https://twitter.com/Mimirocah1/status/1067625264497205249

suggesting we've potentially moved into "criminal liability for the lawyers involved" territory

also saw one former AUSA that was like "I used to work for Rudy Giuliani, and if we saw this conduct when he was the US Attorney he would undoubtedly order us to investigate the attorneys involved for conspiracy to obstruct justice"

to me, this absolutely bullshit leaked story implies his lawyers are aware they need cover stories

https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/1067652069895614464

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Bubbacub posted:

What the gently caress are you eve...

:staredog:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

eke out posted:

There's a reasonable middle ground where they knew this was a possibility and acted accordingly—being careful to avoid telling Manafort anything they wouldn't be comfortable with Trump knowing, then seeing what happened—but were not executing some devious master plan to catch trump in a lie.

That seems possible.

I tend to agree that if the gag was not included, there was a reason, if only because when you draft these things you use the one you did right before it as a template, so it takes effort to *exclude*, not *include* -- anything not in one document that was in other prior similar documents, drafted by the same people, has been excluded for *some* reason. That reason might be "whoops, misclicked" but the default is to include.

Plus, it's important to remember that once you're a guilty criminal being prosecuted, there are *lots* of different ways for you to gently caress up. Like, it's not *hard* for the prosecutor to get you to gently caress up. You're already in a hole, with a shovel, with lots of folks watching. There are a lot of different directions you can dig in at that point but none of them are "up."

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Chilichimp posted:

What the gently caress are you eve...

:staredog:
Dude probably knows a shitload of migrant workers.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ripoff posted:

Bugs Meany could fool Trump. Ol' Donnie would have bought the General Custer Saber inscribed with "First Battle of Bull Run" on it.

(I hope someone gets that joke)

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

I mean, I wouldn’t mind if all those people were locked up for life

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Terror Sweat posted:

Why? At least half of them havnt done anything

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

That is actually a phenomenon that has been remarked on before about conservatives prematurely aging. See also Stephen Miller.

Ooh maybe this is where the thing from Alice Isn't Dead where hateful men slowly morph into spite golems comes from

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Terror Sweat posted:

What did Huma do?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

Why? At least half of them havnt done anything

Who in that picture hasn’t enabled war crimes or jailed the poor?

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ague Proof posted:

What did Huma do?

Vagina, worked with Hillary

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Munkeymon posted:

Thing is that, according to the least old data I could find (page 322) abolishing ICE still isn't real popular unless you're young, latino and/or pretty lefty. As I said in an earlier post, it might be far enough from the next election to make an unpopular principled stand, but I'm not sure the average not-RepublicanTrumpist would ignore/overlook that kind of red-meat-to-the-base kind of move. Considering that my catching back up on the thread was what clarified what open vs unenforced borders means to (at least) some of you guys to me, I think the pump needs to be primed on this issue before dems go whole hog on open borders.

Good thing our side is good at unified outreach, education and messaging :negative: :sigh:

Considering that "abolish ICE" is only a few months old, and that it arose organically as a mass movement while both the media and the majority of Dem politicians still treat it as a crazy proposal from radical loonies, 26% support (plus 17% with no opinion and 16% saying they don't know) is a lot higher than I expected. To put it another way, only 40% of respondents said they'd be less likely to vote for someone who wanted to abolish ICE. That's actually pretty impressive considering how little mainstream support the issue has gotten!

Notice also that it plays especially well among the Dem base and among groups the Dems really need to mobilize. The under-30 demographic supports it 35-24, liberals support it 46-20, Hispanics support it 45-22, African-Americans support it 30-20, and people who dislike Trump support it 37-21. Yes, I know that none of those add up to anywhere near 100% - "Don't know" and "Don't care" made up a very large portion of responses, which suggests that there's plenty of room for support to grow and that opposition has been heavily overstated.

Imagine how much higher it would poll if top liberals tried to make a case for it, instead of handwaving it away as a fringe position.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

1glitch0 posted:

Yeah, it's been awhile since I followed internet ad revenue closely, but even if they were paying for click-throughs to an actual purchase of an NRA yearly membership or whatever they aren't paying 13 bucks for it. Maybe that's info the NRA is releasing to donors to help explain why they're losing money? You're right that at best they're paying less than a buck per click, and probably significantly less unless the NRA and Google has some weird money laundering scheme set up. Or the whole story is ripe bullshit, but 13 bucks is on the level of "How much can a banana cost, Michael? 10 dollars?" level of ludicrous.

If the story is legit and those transactions are real they deserve a hard looking at.

It really really really depends on the search term.

The reason I think that $13 per click is probably true is anyone searching for information about NRA membership levels is extremely likely to be right wing and susceptible to donating in response to made up fears. In other words they are the most prime target possible for right-wing grifting charities. They don't have to even give; just their contact information is worth a good chunk of money because the grifters make money renting out their list of suckers to other grifters.

That would bid up the ad space significantly. I bet the per conversion rate would be three figures and that would be a loving deal compared to how much money these people can wring out of someone.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Bugs Meany could fool Trump. Ol' Donnie would have bought the General Custer Saber inscribed with "First Battle of Bull Run" on it.

(I hope someone gets that joke)

The Case of the Oft-Swindled President

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Howie Carr Is Deplorable—and He Couldn’t Be Happier
From fearless journalist to Trump’s loudest fan. Did he sell out, or buy in?

quote:

The VIP experience turns out to be a minor scam. The meet-and-greet consists of you shaking Howie’s hand, getting one of his books—plus a pair of plastic “lock her up” handcuffs—then being shuffled off the receiving line. In fact, most of these VIPs are not VIPs by choice. When Howie announces a Deplorables Show, his website offers only VIP tickets, one of which I bought for $75. Later, he releases “Cheap Bastard” tickets—for this performance, $35—which entitle fans to the exact same show, minus the receiving line.

First up: Trump’s down-the-escalator campaign announcement. “The Mexican rapist speech. Oh. My. God,” Coulter coos. “I mean, I loved the Mexican rapist speech.” The hits keep coming. Howie enjoys footage of Trump berating a Hispanic television reporter. Coulter mocks a “fat illegal” who had asked to hug her during a town hall event. When Robinson for some reason cues up the Access Hollywood tape, Howie reminds the crowd, “Now remember, he’s just goofing around with Billy Bush.”

For the grand finale, we are forced to watch a gratuitously long clip of Hillary Clinton having a coughing fit. Here the audience locates its decency and goes a little quiet. Howie doesn’t seem to notice. “Lock her up! Lock her up! In a sanitarium—for tuberculosis,” he brays. Next, a clip of Clinton falling down in lower Manhattan. His analysis: “Timber!”

You may think Howie Carr has been a bigot forever and are therefore not surprised by his lateral move into Trump bum-kissery. But it wasn’t always this way. Unlike other Trump sycophants, including Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity, Howie had tremendous journalistic talent. He made his reputation not as a drive-time shock jock but as a populist muckraker, gleefully exposing the corruption, nepotism, and depravity that pervaded Beacon Hill.

And that’s what really gets people about Howie’s new incarnation. It isn’t his hard-right line or his penny-ante side hustles. It’s that he seems to have sold out his old self in the service of all that. “Donald Trump is everything that Howie says everybody else in politics is,” says a former longtime Herald colleague. “A liar, a grifter, a womanizer. You know, take your pick.” For those old enough to remember his heyday, Howie’s love affair with the president is demoralizing to them. After all, says Peter Gelzinis, a former Herald columnist who for years sat across from Howie in the newsroom, “There’s a kind of exquisite irony that the guy who was seen as the great white hack-hunter has suddenly become just an unabashed shill for Trump.”

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/2018/11/27/howie-carr/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Ague Proof posted:

What did Huma do?

Followed orders