Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Why is the Xbox version of Coast 2 Coast so monstrously expensive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Heath posted:

There's some differences between the various Outrun 2 versions so that might have something more or less exclusive to it. (Or thinking about it a bit more, maybe cause it's basically running on the original arcade hardware: Chihiro = Xbox, like Naomi = DC, Triforce = GC, etc)

...but I saw somewhere a little while back that people figured out how to hack everything into the PC version and run at whatever screen settings and whatnot so that's the definitive version at this point.

edit: found where I read that stuff, a few posts down covers the differences between versions:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/psa-pc-owners-can-still-buy-outrun-2006-coast-to-coast.72617/

japtor fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 28, 2018

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Basketball sure is a thing you can pay ten bucks for.

https://www.destructoid.com/i-saw-this-new-basketball-switch-game-and-then-my-eyes-started-bleeding-and-now-i-m-dead-532843.phtml

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It's nice to see the N64 still getting homebrew releases after all these years.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Once this game hits NES online, it'll be the only basketball / grape harvesting sim you'll ever need. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_U2GIuV9xs

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

owns

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nintendo had a good Black Friday

"It became the best-selling Nintendo console in U.S. history for that five-day period, surpassing even Wii system sales. Nintendo Switch also had its best-selling week ever in the United States."

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181128005283/en/Nintendo-Hits-Big-Milestones-Thanksgiving-Cyber-Monday

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

"It became the best-selling Nintendo console in U.S. history for that five-day period, surpassing even Wii system sales. Nintendo Switch also had its best-selling week ever in the United States."

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181128005283/en/Nintendo-Hits-Big-Milestones-Thanksgiving-Cyber-Monday

Maybe they will celebrate by giving us one extra NES game next release.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

This is making me unreasonably angry

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

For context I think Nintendo's record for the same period was 800,000 with the Wii in 2008

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Heath posted:

It wasn't expensive a few years ago. I got a copy for less than $4 at the time. Then something happened and the prices on the 2006 re-releases of Outrun 2 for any platform shot through the roof. The only guess I have is that some nerd on YouTube sitting in front of a wall of video games told a million people how awesome the game was.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was presumably when they lost the Ferrari license and every digital version disappeared into the ether

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Hamster is going to miss out on a lot of R-Type monies thanks to Tozai porting Dimensions. They've had the IREM catalog for like a year and have just been dripping out poo poo like Kid Niki: Radical Ninja.

Their slow burn strategy makes sense sometimes; nobody is going to buy Fatal Fury if you can already get Fatal Fury Special, but it's got to be biting them in the rear end in this case.

Anyway, Dimensions is good. R-Type owns. Someone port Delta and Final.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Quick question: When playing an NES game online, can any number of your friends join in, or is it strictly one-on-one? Can other friends just watch?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Kinda confirms my feeling that the $300 console-only SKU needs to either come down or include a game.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

TheScott2K posted:

Kinda confirms my feeling that the $300 console-only SKU needs to either come down or include a game.
It broke record U.S. sales for the history of Nintendo systems. Doesn't that show the exact opposite? :confused:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Merkinman posted:

It broke record U.S. sales for the history of Nintendo systems. Doesn't that show the exact opposite? :confused:

Not if people are buying it more, specifically because it's on sale, cheaper than the regular $300 price.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

The Merkinman posted:

...when it was on sale, or included a game for the same price

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

The Merkinman posted:

No.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Hamster is going to miss out on a lot of R-Type monies thanks to Tozai porting Dimensions. They've had the IREM catalog for like a year and have just been dripping out poo poo like Kid Niki: Radical Ninja.

Their slow burn strategy makes sense sometimes; nobody is going to buy Fatal Fury if you can already get Fatal Fury Special, but it's got to be biting them in the rear end in this case.

Anyway, Dimensions is good. R-Type owns. Someone port Delta and Final.

Pretty tempted to pick it up. I've never been into SHUMPs except Raptor on PC (lol) but had R-Type on SNES and got pretty good at it. Is it using the sprites from the arcade version?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
What were the sales? All I saw was $300 with $50 gift card which isn't all too compelling of a sale.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Merkinman posted:

Well it included Mario Kart 8 that weekend

^^^^^^^ It included the $50 gift card at GameStop, but Mario Kart 8 was nationwide

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Meanwhile Xbox One X was 40% off and included GOTY RDR2.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I hope R-Type does well enough to justify bringing Final back from the dead and port it to everything because it is a loving incredible experience and has one of the greatest endings in any game ever, no joke. I also really want some kind of new Outrun game with the same amount of features Coast 2 Coast had but does Sega really revive any of their older games anymore? Streets of Rage 4 is a thing but only because external forces asked about it I think?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

American McGay posted:

What were the sales? All I saw was $300 with $50 gift card which isn't all too compelling of a sale.

Facebook was selling it for like $198 for the console. Legit too.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Obvious compromises were made, but Spintires is surprisingly intact on the Switch, and like so many other games, it's just awesome to have a portable version of it. 🎶 I'm lovin' it. 🎶

https://twitter.com/jd_cohen/status/1067790795460071424

Lodin posted:

Pretty tempted to pick it up. I've never been into SHUMPs except Raptor on PC (lol) but had R-Type on SNES and got pretty good at it. Is it using the sprites from the arcade version?

Yeah, when you play in 2D mode, it's just a really cleanly presented version of the arcade games.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

GreenNight posted:

Facebook was selling it for like $198 for the console. Legit too.
I remember that but that was more of some deal site taking a loss to get their name out there. They sold out in minutes and I doubt they actually went through more than a few hundred units.

Anyway, bundled games is a good idea, but I don't really think there'd be a massive uptick in Switch sales if it were $250 instead of $300.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Augus posted:

This is making me unreasonably angry

Spanish is a beautiful language how dare you

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I haven't played it on Switch, but on PS4 I freaking love Spintires. It's fun to go mudding in the woods. While it can be stressful, I also find it super relaxing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, elevator pitch, what's the main point of the game? Full disclosure: I'm totally good with and interested if the answer is nothing more than "you drive through mud with a bunch of trucks, dude."

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Obvious compromises were made, but Spintires is surprisingly intact on the Switch, and like so many other games, it's just awesome to have a portable version of it. 🎶 I'm lovin' it. 🎶

https://twitter.com/jd_cohen/status/1067790795460071424

Spintires is apparently really intact, down to all of the content and everything

https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/2018/11/27/spintires-mudrunner-american-wilds-review-for-nintendo-switch/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, elevator pitch, what's the main point of the game? Full disclosure: I'm totally good with and interested if the answer is nothing more than "you drive through mud with a bunch of trucks, dude."

It is that, and its similar to games like american/euro truck simulator and train sims. You do things like take a logging truck through the woods to a destination. The twist is the terrain will get you. You need to manage your drivetrain, fuel, and other things. You will get stuck and need to use your winch, you will need to find the best way to get from A to B.

Its honestly a bit of a puzzle game, mixed with a driving sim

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

It's also extremely dry and obtuse. It's one of those sims where you have to make your own fun.

Speaking of, I'm currently playing Car Mechanic Simulator 2018 on PC. It's tedious and boring as all hell and perfect for zoning out to with a podcast. They should really port it to Switch since it's already out on the other two platforms.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z6rIUfL2NQ

Peak DRPG action

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

You drive a variety of big trucks through muddy, wooded and mountainous terrain, with the ultimate goal of hauling a specified amount of timber from the forest to the lumberyard. You'll be sunk in mudholes with a Ford Bronco, crossing rivers in gigantic 8x8 Russian trucks while winching in tandem and frantically trying to use a skid loader to help right your overturned and fully loaded semi truck a mile from the goal.

There's your pitch. The game isn't for everyone, but it's an amazing hardcore off-road sim and I love the hell out of it.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Re: Switch Record Sales
Nothing in the article explicitly said anything about sales or bundle. I figured it was just because during Cyber Monday there is an increased demand for buying things.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

psylent posted:

I've played through Diablo 3 now as Barbarian, Monk and I'm on my third play through as Necromancer, am now a bit bored. Necro is cool but takes a lot longer to kill beasties, especially when the base attack is so weak.

Is there a super good build I should be using for the Necro?

Might have to move on to Dark Souls for a while.

Level 70 is when the game really starts to get nuts. Try looking around youtube for builds that look fun, check out what gear is required to make them, go get that gear.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Outruns music is still so legit. Game is out, real good and fully in English, don't know why NA has to wait until next year.

Gyro implementation is a novelty kids will enjoy, but not really suitable for serious runs. It's got a bunch of options and semi custom control binding. Font is really gross though

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 28, 2018

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Lodin posted:

Pressing X allows you to smoothly and instantly transition from 3D to the original sprites. Everything is 1:1 so you can be like oh, I wonder how this would have originally looked and swap graphics without even pausing. The music is remastered as well and shifts seamlessly. It's a really cool effect. Wonder Boy and the Dragon's Trap remake does this too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Their bad Basketball Switch game, Basketball, sullies the name of my good Basketball Switch game, Basketball 2:

Not that the game is anywhere near ready. But all these posts about horrible Switch basketball games have motivated me to develop it further than a jam game.

Maybe we should register a trademark or something. I'd hate to have to change the name.