Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Throw the Kays into a quarry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
When he was hanging out with O'Leary, Scheer mentioned that he idolizes Margaret Thatcher. That's one way to appeal to union workers and labourers right now, I guess. His other faves are Ronald Reagan and Brad Wall.

https://twitter.com/mariekewalsh/status/1067181127947956224

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PT6A posted:

This woman is terrible and bad and, like all National Post op-ed writers, would benefit from being shot into the sun.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/barbara-kay-will-anyone-stand-up-to-airbnbs-anti-semitic-boycott
Barbara's vile son Jonathan, who is a former Post contributor, and the disgraced editor-in-chief of The Walrus magazine, attended one of those fancy pants all-boys private schools back east. He also, incidentally, spends a LOT of time trying to undermine #MeToo on Twitter and in print... :thunk:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress Zionists

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yellow Ant posted:

When he was hanging out with O'Leary, Scheer mentioned that he idolizes Margaret Thatcher. That's one way to appeal to union workers and labourers right now, I guess. His other faves are Ronald Reagan and Brad Wall.

https://twitter.com/mariekewalsh/status/1067181127947956224

:lol:

What a dumb loving poo poo.

Goddamn I love Scheer as he's gonna loving sink that party.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Vintersorg posted:

Don’t most people in Canada agree with him? Isn’t union density so low now that they don’t really have the political clout they used to?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Vintersorg posted:

Uh actually you'll find he's going to destroy the libs

https://twitter.com/MariekeWalsh/status/1067185164579676162

He's not going to sink the party. He'll definitely get #1 best conservative Justin Trudeau elected next time though which is really the only good thing you can say about Scheer.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

well... that fat lady did eventually destroy isis. can lightning strike twice?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Uh actually you'll find he's going to destroy the libs

https://twitter.com/MariekeWalsh/status/1067185164579676162

He's not going to sink the party. He'll definitely get #1 best conservative Justin Trudeau elected next time though which is really the only good thing you can say about Scheer.

Destroying the world for your descendants to trigger the libs

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Thanks for the book recommendation.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Kevin O'Leary is a scumbag who made his money through completely shady and probably illegal means and now gets to play celebrity businessman on TV and dumb people lap it up.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Vintersorg posted:

I look forward to seeing this thread when the Conservatives win a majority next election, because this kind of rhetoric does actually work and convinces voters.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

Kevin O'Leary is a scumbag who made his money through completely shady and probably illegal means and now gets to play celebrity businessman on TV and dumb people lap it up.

Lamo that he thought he could pull off a trump

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The could literally fill a suit with manure and run it as UCP and it'll take Alberta next election. Which isn't too far off from Scheer

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Panderfringe posted:

I look forward to seeing this thread when the Conservatives win a majority next election, because this kind of rhetoric does actually work and convinces voters.

Until that happens gently caress em, gently caress em all.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Panderfringe posted:

Convinces which voters?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Terror Sweat posted:

Destroying the world for your descendants to trigger the libs

Look they love their children, and even their children's children. But they don't love them that much. And they don't love their children's children's children.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Convinces which voters?

Convinces your base to come out, and convinces undecideds to stay home. Discouraging people from voting is just as much a part of political strategy as encouraging people.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DariusLikewise posted:

Pretty sure he got rich by sheer lucky circumstance, he developed a (medical?) software company in the 80s/90s that was bought out for millions. And then once you have a ton of money, you just invest.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

zapplez posted:

Pretty sure he got rich by sheer lucky circumstance, he developed a (medical?) software company in the 80s/90s that was bought out for millions. And then once you have a ton of money, you just invest.

He owned a lovely software company that sold educational games. He made the company look good by dumping product and cooking the books which resulted in a buyout by Mattel, where he got to serve in an executive role for a number of years before Mattel realized that everything was fake and closed his division down.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
On the plus side there's going to be a huge job market for post-environmental catastrophe cleanup crews. Gotta love that 50cent extra hazard pay.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Way to make the Globe and Mail, weed mentat.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wait what? Weed Mentat?

Nat Post has a cover story about how air bnb is anti israel. That improves them in my eyes.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe we should finally ban Airbnb in Canada to mitigate our ludicrously expensive housing "defend Israel"

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
https://globalnews.ca/news/4658158/fentanyl-kingpins-canada-big-circle-boys/

Kinda annoyed that the most genuinely interesting thing, that the gangsters knew the exact date of the coming bust, confirming they have at least one higher up in gov't/police on their payroll, isn't talked about further.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

twistedmentat posted:

Wait what? Weed Mentat?

Nat Post has a cover story about how air bnb is anti israel. That improves them in my eyes.

It's even about de-listings within the occupied West Bank specifically. There are not many days when I think favorably about AirBnB, but this is definitely one of them.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The comments on Barbara Kay's article are nearly all favouring Airbnb's decision which owns. Usually Natpo comment sections are overwhelmingly far-right and zionist

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I have to imagine that any PR firm worth their salt factors in the negative articles that a controversial decision like this generates so I wonder if AirBnB were actually banking on a backlash from the usual Israel apologists to give them free publicity at a time when a lot of progressive leaning people are souring on the whole sharing / gig economy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well it didn't take long for Dougie to blame Trudeau's carbon tax for GM shuttering the Oshawa plant.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

THC posted:

The comments on Barbara Kay's article are nearly all favouring Airbnb's decision which owns. Usually Natpo comment sections are overwhelmingly far-right and zionist

To be fair, you can be pro-Israeli and pro-Zionist without thinking the occupation of the West Bank and Gaza are in any way acceptable.

The fact that Bibi has successfully conflated occupation and expansionism with the State of Israel and even Judaism itself in both the minds of his supporters and detractors is nothing less than a PR masterclass.

I don't object to the notion of Israel or even a Jewish state in general, in concept. Its creation was horrifically bungled, and its current actions with regards to the occupied territories of Palestine represent a crime against humanity, but it is not beyond comprehension to imagine a solution to these problems. Progress has been made before, and it was the Israeli right-wing that put an end to it by means of assassinating Rabin, so I think it's important to apportion blame where it belongs and has always belonged: lunatic right-wingers, whose apparent takeaway from the horrors of WW2 was "the main problem with fascism is that we weren't on top that time."

Retro Futurist posted:

The could literally fill a suit with manure and run it as UCP and it'll take Alberta next election.

They did, and it will. Except if we're going to be strictly literal, the manure would be slightly less disgusting (both morally and physically speaking) and assuredly more useful than the metaphorical bag of poo poo they actually chose.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well it didn't take long for Dougie to blame Trudeau's carbon tax for GM shuttering the Oshawa plant.

When will these dullards realize that these plants were shuttered because they were building garbage that no one wanted? It's not about tariffs nor is it about the carbon tax, it's about the fact that GM cars loving suck and no one wants to buy them. These factories aren't moving somewhere cheaper, they're being shut down.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Even if Netanyahu was a particularly smart person it's inaccurate to suggest he did it all this on his own. It took decades and billions of dollars of lobbying, arm-twisting, intimidation, and most importantly, propaganda. It's the money, stupid!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

THC posted:

Even if Netanyahu was a particularly smart person it's inaccurate to suggest he did it all this on his own. It took decades and billions of dollars of lobbying, arm-twisting, intimidation, and most importantly, propaganda. It's the money, stupid!

That's true. He's the figurehead of a larger movement.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

PT6A posted:

I don't object to the notion of Israel or even a Jewish state in general, in concept.

You don't object to a literal ethnostate? In what possible circumstances would the creation of a state that favours a single ethnicity in a very diverse and pluralistic part of the world not result in ethnic cleansing or at least systematic discrimination?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Helsing posted:

You don't object to a literal ethnostate? In what possible circumstances would the creation of a state that favours a single ethnicity in a very diverse and pluralistic part of the world not result in ethnic cleansing or at least systematic discrimination?

In a perfect world, I see your point. In a world filled with pluralistic states which strictly forbid discrimination towards any kind of identifiable group, such a state would be an unnecessary anachronism. We don't exist in that world, and many groups do face discrimination or worse, which is why I find the existence of Israel or a theoretically Kurdish state to be acceptable, provided there are adequate protections for minorities in these states, which is something that has not occurred in practice.

The question then lies in how we can accomplish this while moving toward a perfect world, which is a very difficult question. I believe a single-state solution with guaranteed minority rights, but with Israel retaining, in whole or in part, a "Jewish character," is the best solution. Things like the Right of Return serve a valid purpose, however that is currently being used to drive unacceptable occupation and expansionism.

Consider that even in this country we have sovereign nations that, in a legal sense if in absolutely no other, privilege people of one ethnicity -- to an extent -- over others. Now, I'm not suggesting for a moment that the relationship Canada has with the First Nations is one that exists without extremely significant problems, obviously, but the idea that First Nations land privileges First Nations people first and foremost, and should not be subject to undue federal interference, is not one I find antithetical to the idea of democracy. On that basis, I can see a single-state solution to the issue of Israel and Palestine where minorities in either area are protected, but sub-federal authorities have significant latitude in determining policy in order to serve their majority communities.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

PT6A posted:

When will these dullards realize that these plants were shuttered because they were building garbage that no one wanted? It's not about tariffs nor is it about the carbon tax, it's about the fact that GM cars loving suck and no one wants to buy them. These factories aren't moving somewhere cheaper, they're being shut down.

Replace GM vehicles with oil from the tarsands. Or Bombardier products.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

Replace GM vehicles with oil from the tarsands. Or Bombardier products.

Yes, very true. We need to either figure out how to make people want those things, or come up with a plan to lessen the economic impact of people not wanting those things.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Get those driving enforcement luchadores to pick up every SUV they see and put them down sideways in a narrow alley

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

James Baud posted:

Way to make the Globe and Mail, weed mentat.

You're going to have to narrow this down for me, I've been doing a lot of media lately. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/ColinDMello/status/1068119581422747648

I’m legit proud of her, she’s gone through a really rough couple weeks and handled it with a lot of grace.