Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Rex-Goliath posted:

dude they’ve literally sat on their hands as their tool inflamed genocide

i think it’s ok to consider that maybe they’ve crossed a line

no but you see, it's an american company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

oh so the genocide is already implied :doh:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

now that interest rates are rising, the stupid money will dry up. investors will put more money into bond markets, and less into poo poo like VC and PE funds.

this entire bubble, nine years long, was driven by the hunt for yield in a zero interest environment. that era is coming to an end, and may never recur

even Uber can see the end coming, which is why IPO is being talked about

hard times ahead for the tech bublé lol thread but we’ll tighten our belts and get through this

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

qirex posted:

they've probably all taken discrete math so they know about the prisoners' dilemma

and I'd like to introduce them to the 'sheltered nerdlinger stuck in county lockup with those people... you know those people dilemma' and see which one is more powerful

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Uber and Lyft are not here to usher in the autonomous car revolution. They are here to completely curbstomp old means of employment in hopes of making all employees for every company ever an "independent contractor", which means more money for the management and investors.

If you believe that this isn't the case, I have a bridge to sell you.

z-gauge for what it's worth.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

eschaton posted:

crimes against humanity have universal jurisdiction

at this point, any state could legitimately prosecute Facebook in absentia for complicity in the Rohynga genocide

furthermore, any state could legitimately rendition Mark Zuckerberg, Sheryl Sandberg, et al in order to prosecute them as responsible for Facebook’s complicity

the US doesn't give a frig about the international criminal court or w/e but if other countries dared to basically make it so that the high level people in the US can't risk international travel anywhere...

:getin:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Stringent posted:

this use of the pejorative "political" to refer to politics i don't agree with has to be tiredest rhetorical device

I get you're being super disingenuous on purpose but theres a huge difference between a law against threats of violence vs a law against speech you don't like on a whim.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
genocide is protected by the 1st amendment

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Shaggar posted:

I get you're being super disingenuous on purpose but theres a huge difference between a law against threats of violence vs a law against speech you don't like on a whim.

thank you for your brave defence of speech intended to incite lynch mobs

hey have you heard of Gab? it's the hot new place to post that sort of thing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that's the kind of brain disease im talking about. you cant understand what people are saying so you make it up in your head.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

that's the kind of brain disease im talking about. you cant understand what people are saying so you make it up in your head.

:ironicat:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

it's all these idiots misunderstanding me not what I'm saying which is perfectly and obviously true and clear I insist as everyone calls me dumb and wrong

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
your fascist brain doesn't get it. instead of using existing law to punish actual threats, you want to drum up new laws to give the executive wider power to clamp down on speech they don't like. all because you're stupid enough to believe a lovely politician lost a race because of people being mean online.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Shaggar posted:

your fascist brain doesn't get it. instead of using existing law to punish actual threats, you want to drum up new laws to give the executive wider power to clamp down on speech they don't like. all because you're stupid enough to believe a lovely politician lost a race because of people being mean online.

nice meltdown

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
hate speech laws exist pretty much everywhere but america. i get that it's an inalienable right for you to yell slurs and incite violence against minorities, but elsewhere it's not.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

existing laws are better than future laws because they already exist and we currently live in a perfect utopia upon which we cannot improve

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

lmfao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
facebook has a black people problem

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Wheany posted:

no but you see, it's an american company

fb absolutely does not seem themselves as an american company

at least mark doesn't, certainly others in charge there too

e: although i guess that's undermined somewhat by not having pulled what apple et al did by "headquartering" in ireland

my point is that he's demonstrated many times no allegiance whatsoever to murka, even to the chagrin of congressmen during his testimony

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 28, 2018

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

iospace posted:

Uber and Lyft are not here to usher in the autonomous car revolution. They are here to completely curbstomp old means of employment in hopes of making all employees for every company ever an "independent contractor", which means more money for the management and investors.

you got it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I always love that anecdote about one tech company or another that lost 30 percent of their black workforce in one month, and when an auditor asked about it they said "oh yeah mark quit"

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Shaggar posted:

no I just think you have to (ugh) deplatform the nazis or they radicalize each other and kill people. there's a real clear pattern of this at this point.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

infernal machines posted:

hate speech laws exist pretty much everywhere but america. i get that it's an inalienable right for you to yell slurs and incite violence against minorities, but elsewhere it's not.

yeah but look what happened in all those countries like Germany that banned nazi stuff!

i mean i'm not actually going to look but i assume germany fell into chaos and everyone's terrified to say even slightly bad things about anyone else lest the anti-nazi nazis have them arrested, right?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
looking at the modern state of the world and internet I'd say the experiment in utterly untrammeled free speech has failed

like many other aspects of society and government america did it first and someone else later did it in a better and more refined way

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

shaggar you're gonna lose the crypto prefix if you keep saying the quiet parts out loud

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1067812426140143616?s=19

mystes
May 31, 2006

this is the weirdest thing about uber's obsession with autonomous vehicles. paying for a fleet (and maintenance, fueling, etc. thereof) of high tech autonomous cabs will never in our lifetimes be cheaper than hiring broke rear end under-employed millennials and externalizing 100% of the costs to them.

it's dumb as poo poo.
If they can convince rubes to drive for them now, what's to stop them from working out some weird investment structure where rubes bear all of the costs once there are self-driving cars?

It's true that there's no real reason for Uber itself to be so interested in developing autonomous vehicles though, but that's true about most stuff that most tech companies do purely to appeal to investors.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lmao oh ok

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mystes posted:

If they can convince rubes to drive for them now, what's to stop them from working out some weird investment structure where rubes bear all of the costs once there are self-driving cars?

It's true that there's no real reason for Uber itself to be so interested in developing autonomous vehicles though, but that's true about most stuff that most tech companies do purely to appeal to investors.

like i've said before uber's clever for figuring out a way to make the workers own the means of production while still reaping all the rewards with none of the maintenance or upkeep costs, i'm positive they'll figure out a way to do this with self-driving cars too

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mystes posted:

uber isn't a tech company

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

finally, a useful digital assistant

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

amway, Herbalife, cutco, and all those assorted pyramid schemes have been scamming people for decades and yet are still going strong. Uber might be able to manage it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Munkeymon posted:

no I just think you have to (ugh) deplatform the nazis or they radicalize each other and kill people. there's a real clear pattern of this at this point.

its not the job of the state to decide who is and isn't a radical and thus no longer deserving of speech.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

its not the job of the state to decide who is and isn't a radical and thus no longer deserving of speech.

ah, i see you've taken the far-right's tactic of deliberately conflating genocidal racists with mild leftism

mystes
May 31, 2006

uber isn't a tech company
If uber isn't a tech company then lots of "tech companies" aren't really tech companies, but that's sort of the point of doing things like developing self-driving cars in order to create a tech company veneer.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Captain Foo posted:

ah, i see you've taken the far-right's tactic of deliberately conflating genocidal racists with mild leftism

it is a highly effective trolling strategy you have to admit.

only the best for the techbubble thread.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shifty Pony posted:

it is a highly effective trolling strategy you have to admit.

only the best for the techbubble thread.

this is no longer funny shaggaring and it's now straight-up fox news talking points

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shifty Pony posted:

amway, Herbalife, cutco, and all those assorted pyramid schemes have been scamming people for decades and yet are still going strong

thing is that amway defended itself in court successfully :\

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mystes posted:

If uber isn't a tech company then lots of "tech companies" aren't really tech companies

now you're getting it. uber claims to be a tech company because no one would value jitney dispatch higher than the entire world-wide livery market, also tech company means "we don't have to follow any laws, ever and any attempt to make us do so is stifling innovation"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Shaggar posted:

I'm quite happy with European countries and Canada using their existing laws to put the hurt on facebook