Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Granted I'm going second-hand, but a lot of what I've heard about Bebop makes it sound to me like it could at the very least make the transition to western live action a hell of a lot more gracefully than something like Ghost In The Shell.

Mind, that's a low bar, so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
lmfao at announcing Cowboy Bebop with no music

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they did announce eva with some generic action music so it seems par for the course

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i remember the netflix trailer for dragon pilot being kind of laughably bad too

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I love being pandered to with things that came out 20 years ago. Thanks based netflix.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

and it stands to gain a lot with Christ Yost on writing staff

Irony level: undefined

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

The Colonel posted:

the parts of cowboy bebop that stuck with me the most are the visuals and the animation was a pretty large part of that that i don't really trust a live-action netflix thing to recapture

to me it feels the same as if you announced like, a live-action samurai champloo. you could do cool stuff with it but the aesthetic and visual direction of the original anime is too ingrained with what i like about it for the idea to have the same appeal to me

dudes in modern clothes shooting guns and doing martial arts and being sad is all very doable in live action

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

They're not talking about the premise?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I can't think of any live action film that has the right mix of of real word grit and scifi stuff the way that Bebop does

Maybe District 9? But then Chappie and that Matt Damon movie were all weird and hosed up, so even that guy couldn't replicate it.

Not to mention I have to assume all the weird episodic hijinks (the primary shared DNA with Champloo and Dandy) will be stripped out in favor of MATURE PRESTIGE FORMAT CRIME DRAMA. And the fact that I can count the number of American produced TV shows with what I would describe as "good action" on one hand.

I dunno being cynical is lazy and easy but fuckin, sometimes it's justified

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Is Keanu still lined up to play Spike? This is important.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I mean Firefly is basically cowboy bepop

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

chris yost is a lovely comic book writer

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I thought my sound wasn't working when i clicked that trailer, lmao.

Yoko Kanno is probably the most important part of bebop, and there's no mention of her anywhere

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
The real MVP of Cowboy Beebop is Yoko Kanno and the fact that even the best they could do couldn't come close to the lighting- in- a bottle magic she performed with the anime ost leave me preemptively underwhelmed.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Motto posted:

They're not talking about the premise?

It's semi unique to me among anime for looking a lot like western film but I'm missing what about its visuals would be lost in adapting to... western film.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

DisDisDis posted:

It's semi unique to me among anime for looking a lot like western film but I'm missing what about its visuals would be lost in adapting to... western film.

its usage of the medium of animation

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

theres no way you could get a human actor to be as noodly and weird as ed is in the show for starters

also the entire drug trip episode

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the drug trip episode is my favorite thing in the entirety of bebop and is mostly why i'm not really interested yeah

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Well, obviously, it's no longer gonna be an animation. It's not visually tied to being in animation the way something like Mind Game or squishy girl girl shows or w/e are though.

e; well ed is squishy but besides that

i don't remember the mushroom episode well but i remember hating it so hopefully they cut it

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
i did shrooms a couple times and im pretty sure their adobe after effects intern can pull it off decently

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also to me animation going for a filmic style is cooler than a b-list sci-fi tv show looking like a b-list sci-fi tv show

not even saying that live action bebop will be good or bad just im not really interested in it

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
leaked footage. I think they chose a great actor for Spike :)

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
very excited for the return of men smoking sexily to western live action

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/splendidland/status/1066713823426564098

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I was going to say the money spent on Cowboy Bebop would be much better used to give Watanabe a new show, but apparently he is already making a show for Netflix.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

No Yoko Kanno? Lol then literally who cares

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I just dont see them adapting episodes like Jupiter Jazz or maybe Speak Like A Child which are the bebop episodes that really matter to me, so yeah I'm just not really interested in that.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
isn't it too late for keanu reeves spike spiegel. why now. WHY NOW??

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/emiya_gohan/status/1067750374310785025

dreaming of a white christmas

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Anyone ever watch that folding ideas YouTube talking man on Evangellion? The show kinda frustrated me that when I first watched it because as some kind of teen more than several years ago I was totally unprepared to actually engage with the metaphors and meaning behind the series and how it built up to the climax. I guess it just goes to show how important critical tools are to understanding media, and makes a statement about audience (like me) who often have trouble engaging with any of the subtext and get wrapped up in the text.

Anyways I thought the Folding Ideas video was great and gave a very clear summary of the show and why the ending made sense considering the subtext, and offered an explanation for how the movie made sense on several levels despite diverging slightly from the show. (I was one of those people who was put off by the original ending of the show when I first watched it. )

That's my Eva comment! Thanks for reading!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

np

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

lol that rules

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Toalpaz posted:

Anyone ever watch that folding ideas YouTube talking man on Evangellion? The show kinda frustrated me that when I first watched it because as some kind of teen more than several years ago I was totally unprepared to actually engage with the metaphors and meaning behind the series and how it built up to the climax. I guess it just goes to show how important critical tools are to understanding media, and makes a statement about audience (like me) who often have trouble engaging with any of the subtext and get wrapped up in the text.

Anyways I thought the Folding Ideas video was great and gave a very clear summary of the show and why the ending made sense considering the subtext, and offered an explanation for how the movie made sense on several levels despite diverging slightly from the show. (I was one of those people who was put off by the original ending of the show when I first watched it. )

That's my Eva comment! Thanks for reading!

He did a follow-up video too, check that out if you haven't.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Folding Ideas' take is, like a lot of western anime critics in general, ridiculously audience-focused so try not to take it as just like, the text, form your own thoughts on what eva was trying to say, 'cause thats what art be

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

a kitten posted:

He did a follow-up video too, check that out if you haven't.

Yeah! Thanks!

Endorph posted:

Folding Ideas' take is, like a lot of western anime critics in general, ridiculously audience-focused so try not to take it as just like, the text, form your own thoughts on what eva was trying to say, 'cause thats what art be

I guess so! I think that he had a lot of points about the authorial intent of the work which was neat. It's also nice to hear other people's opinions about stuff you enjoy, and I think his opinion elevated my own.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The better opinions/reviews often do that, even if you disagree with them. I think it's part of the reason that to this day I often still visit music and film review sites. Well, that and to discover if there are cool things out there I've missed.

It's also the reason that I keep going to forums like CineD, NMD and TBB and just lurking, because there's a ton of things I want to watch, read and listen and such. :3:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

hadn't watched anything for a while but just caught up with ssss.gridman and run with the wind, and my very in depth analysis of those shows is that they're p cool and I like them

e: also karakuri circus is better than I expected going in

Personal_Nirvana posted:

The real MVP of Cowboy Beebop is Yoko Kanno and the fact that even the best they could do couldn't come close to the lighting- in- a bottle magic she performed with the anime ost leave me preemptively underwhelmed.

yea what I really remember about cowboy bebop is the ost, not as much the show itself anymore. the music was (and still is) so good

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 29, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/adultswim/status/1068189668221566976

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Watanabe directed a short for 2049's prerelease that was pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they mention it right there in the article