Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

robotsinmyhead posted:

I'm stuck in that rut where I've run out of Components and don't have the research to make them yet (but soon). These poor saps are stuck watching a black and white TV, huddled around one of the few AC units during a heatwave.

My childhood in New Orleans in the 80s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

i've had this game for ages and could never get into it, but picked it up again last week and now i have 71 hours into it.

i also have 133 mods installed. help. i have an addiction.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

My childhood in New Orleans in the 80s

these scrublords don't even have an Atari 2600.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Rimworld: 2 days old and dying of chronic alcoholism

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

McGiggins posted:

I forget which mod it is but you can absolutely do that. I wish it had some incredible permanent -1000 mood modifiers when done to prisoners because that would make catch and release the most fun game of all time.

Waiting for the next raid and the inevitable human timebombs would be hilarious.

Look for "Surgical Body Shaping" and "The Birds And The Bees" in steam workshop for this magical combo :distonk:

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
drat I love the WH40k mod but it throws the balance all out of whack. If the regular best weapons in game are t3, WH40k is t5-6. Why sure it's fine to have bolters doing 30dmg aoe with 6 burst on a 3 second warmup

That said it rules I just wish I could make everything tougher to compensate.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

robotsinmyhead posted:

I'm stuck in that rut where I've run out of Components and don't have the research to make them yet (but soon). These poor saps are stuck watching a black and white TV, huddled around one of the few AC units during a heatwave.

Go hit faction outpost quests; they'll usually have solar panels and turrets that you can deconstruct for a handful of components.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
How's the prisoner labor mod?

Incidentally, does anyone know if having prisoners adds to the wealth calculations for raids like it does for colonists?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I use that mod and it works well, although I'm not a power user or anything, mainly I use it for correcting how the bees behaves with doors and the lock mod from the same author

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

drat I love the WH40k mod but it throws the balance all out of whack. If the regular best weapons in game are t3, WH40k is t5-6. Why sure it's fine to have bolters doing 30dmg aoe with 6 burst on a 3 second warmup

That said it rules I just wish I could make everything tougher to compensate.

Isn't the answer to most balance complaints a shrug and 'well, the enemies can spawn with them too'?

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
Is there a way to restrict what animals Vampires feed on? My idiot Vampire will feed on any Thrumbo that enters the map and get his rear end kicked leaving the rest of my colonist to deal with the pissed off Thrumbo.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

isndl posted:

Isn't the answer to most balance complaints a shrug and 'well, the enemies can spawn with them too'?

Definitely, the enemies specific to the mod are pretty crazy, Space Marines have huge health pools. Now that I'm thinking about it, I think the mentality of the mod is that you are role-playing as an imperial subject and your pawns are supposed to be imperial guard stand ins, aka disposable.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I bought this game yesterday and it has taken over my life--

easy question: If I have assigned my colonists to eat lavish meals, will they eat lesser meals if the lavish meals aren't available? I have a ton of simple meals stockpiled but my meat supply is unreliable so the lavish meals may stop soon. I started making lavish meals because I grew way too much food, and my colonists were depressed as gently caress

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

sharkbomb posted:

I bought this game yesterday and it has taken over my life--

easy question: If I have assigned my colonists to eat lavish meals, will they eat lesser meals if the lavish meals aren't available? I have a ton of simple meals stockpiled but my meat supply is unreliable so the lavish meals may stop soon. I started making lavish meals because I grew way too much food, and my colonists were depressed as gently caress

Yes, the meal setting is a top down restriction, useful to make sure you aren't feeding prisoners anything above paste

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
These days I just feed everyone paste because it's as (if not more?) efficient than pemmican, but keep a handful of lavish meals around as emergency anti-break risk

It frees up so much labor, too.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Herstory Begins Now posted:

These days I just feed everyone paste because it's as (if not more?) efficient than pemmican, but keep a handful of lavish meals around as emergency anti-break risk

It frees up so much labor, too.

Paste is easily the most efficient foodstuff, since it triples the nutritional values of it's inputs. Nothing else even comes close.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I usually feed prisoners pemmican, having a stockpile in there at 50% fill amount or so. If I’ve got prisoners, I want them happy, so I don’t want to deal with paste negative moodlet. Otherwise, fine meals for days.... occasionally some lavish if 4 thrumbos wander in as the massive corn field comes in.

My landing pair had a kid soon after landing (whoopsie!) but luckily, baby was okay hanging in the glowstone cave while the colony grew. Eventually, he was a 3 yo toddler cruising about, playing in the rec room, chatting with guests but was an abrasive kid so sometimes he’d say something... unfortunate. He’d also go eat a snack in the main prison room nearly everyday after playing some hoopstone or horseshoes.

And then he went in to get a snack as a prison break happened. :(

Mom was off on a medical caravan to a local tribal camp, Dad was working the nearby fields. When the break occurred, he and two other colonists were working the crops and they ran to the prison.

Two of the six prisoners had stopped to beat the tar out of the toddler, and he went down with a shattered jaw and only a sliver of HP left (red in head and torso). But he was still alive!

The four prisoners that left the kid alone ran outside and went towards the 3 colonists - Dad and one other opened fire with a charge rifle and a bullpup rifle, the other waited with a plasteel sword. Other colonists were now coming from the base.

The two that beat the kid made a break for the front gate. They started to run across the river.

Doc ran in and carried kid to the hospital, while Dad and bullpup rifle went after the escapees.

While the prisoners were crossing the deep water, the colonists lined the shore and fired. Both prisoners went down - but were left to drown.

Kid recovered, and we built him a bionic jaw.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

robotsinmyhead posted:

Sounds like you're doing allright. Remember that nearly all caravans and space traders carry components, so trade them your junk poo poo or organisms and acquire some more.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

HelloSailorSign posted:

I usually feed prisoners pemmican, having a stockpile in there at 50% fill amount or so. If I’ve got prisoners, I want them happy, so I don’t want to deal with paste negative moodlet. Otherwise, fine meals for days.... occasionally some lavish if 4 thrumbos wander in as the massive corn field comes in.

My landing pair had a kid soon after landing (whoopsie!) but luckily, baby was okay hanging in the glowstone cave while the colony grew. Eventually, he was a 3 yo toddler cruising about, playing in the rec room, chatting with guests but was an abrasive kid so sometimes he’d say something... unfortunate. He’d also go eat a snack in the main prison room nearly everyday after playing some hoopstone or horseshoes.

And then he went in to get a snack as a prison break happened. :(

Mom was off on a medical caravan to a local tribal camp, Dad was working the nearby fields. When the break occurred, he and two other colonists were working the crops and they ran to the prison.

Two of the six prisoners had stopped to beat the tar out of the toddler, and he went down with a shattered jaw and only a sliver of HP left (red in head and torso). But he was still alive!

The four prisoners that left the kid alone ran outside and went towards the 3 colonists - Dad and one other opened fire with a charge rifle and a bullpup rifle, the other waited with a plasteel sword. Other colonists were now coming from the base.

The two that beat the kid made a break for the front gate. They started to run across the river.

Doc ran in and carried kid to the hospital, while Dad and bullpup rifle went after the escapees.

While the prisoners were crossing the deep water, the colonists lined the shore and fired. Both prisoners went down - but were left to drown.

And this is why, if you are a storyteller, this is the greatest game of all time.

I've held audiences of 30+ people in breathless suspense telling the story of my first colony's first infestation.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."
I tried the children mod once. I had two original colonists that had a baby. STILL a baby, he managed to somehow piss off another colonist, who straight up One Punch Man'd the poor drat baby and killed it. I get invested in my colonists, but not so invested that it genuinely affects me, but this was just brutal and so disconcerting I just shut the whole game down. You'd think as part of a children mod you'd maybe shut down the whole social fight thing? Who realistically gets pissed off at a baby gurgling and decides to defenestrate the drat thing.

So yeah, my baby story isn't as fun. Has the children mod and the other one that goes well with it been updated yet?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Baby rage murder is pretty common, if you go by the news

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
My vampire baby has a dragon penis

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Phoenix Taichou posted:

Who realistically gets pissed off at a baby gurgling and decides to defenestrate the drat thing.

I really envy you for your ignorance.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The Bramble posted:

Same. Though to be fair, I'd definitely reload that game.

One time he was cruising the dining hall he got food poisoning. I can't remember if it was normal pemmican or if there was still the thing where he'd steal whatever was held in another colonist's inventory to eat and was eating raw food or kibble on the regular. I think there was a mod that allowed colonists to pull food from others stockpiles as a way to fix the caravan stupidity, but for kids it usually meant some... funny, yet oddly accurate, circumstances.

Anyway he turned and vomited onto a guest, which as there's not functionality in the game to recognize being vomited on nothing happened other than the room getting dirtier, but man was I laughing at the idea of the kid vomiting on a guest as I've been on the unfortunate end of a sick kid.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Morbidly curious...were either party psychotic and/or bloodthirsty? (yes, including the baby :downs:)

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

The Bramble posted:

I mean, I'm aware of the awful lovely world reality of that kind of thing, I probably should have said "what well adjusted person defenestrates a baby"

mauman posted:

Morbidly curious...were either party psychotic and/or bloodthirsty? (yes, including the baby :downs:)

I can't remember now, the baby might've been abrasive, so he probably stuck a stubby finger up at the guy or something

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

is there a mod that makes the "Plant:" menu for growing zones less poo poo? i've got RimCuisine and i'd like to be able to see what i can grow without my eyes crossing looking at the long-rear end list.

EDIT: answered my own question! Dubs Mint Menus!

surfacelevelspeck fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 30, 2018

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Rimworld: 2 days old and dying of chronic alcoholism

One time my Yorkshire Terrier had puppies and one of them got into the alcohol stores and drank a bunch of beer and developed alcoholism. I later sold the literal booze hound for like 90 silver but it was very sad to see the little lush go.

Wish there was a way to get rid of addictions. I can replace a spine but I can't fix an addiction.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

HelloSailorSign posted:

Get that toddler a power klaw, he's a future Warboss in training.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

HelloSailorSign posted:

So kids grow...

Is he going to be Boy-Jaw forever? Head of a thirty year old, jawline of ten?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

jokes posted:

One time my Yorkshire Terrier had puppies and one of them got into the alcohol stores and drank a bunch of beer and developed alcoholism. I later sold the literal booze hound for like 90 silver but it was very sad to see the little lush go.

Wish there was a way to get rid of addictions. I can replace a spine but I can't fix an addiction.

Addictions are resolved by denying the addicted entity their vice until the withdrawal runs it's course.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

Addictions are resolved by denying the addicted entity their vice until the withdrawal runs it's course.

Why would you want to deny a booze hound its booze? Because a drunk Yorkie running around sounds hilarious.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I wasn't offering any judgement as to whether or not it should be done, just explaining the mechanic.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Keeshhound posted:

I thought the % next to the addiction was "they will die at 100%" poo poo.

Rimworld: Literal Booze Hounds ITT

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
This game is incredible. My settlement is overrun by 30+ Pet Rats, so this Art Piece was appropriate.

The rat's newborn, also a rat.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

jokes posted:

You just need a priest with level 3 purify. :whatup:

So a quick update on my necromancer's fortress:

A woman named Olive for some reason voluntarily joined the colony that consists of a necromancer and 5 zombies. She was mundane but I had an arcane tome and a druid script and made her a druid. She spent the first few weeks among us constantly moving between minor and major break risks, which changed basically every time she moved where she could/couldn't see a zombie. Now I guess she's used to it.

A wild woman named Goboagabal wandered on to the map. The necromancer tamed her and she immediately went catatonic. He put her in a medical bed and cared for and fed her for the loving MONTH she was catatonic. When she woke up, a week later they became lovers and a month or two later got married. He crafted a tome for her and made her into a summoner. They are ecstatically happy together.

The zombie army has swelled to 9 zombies up at all times. I have five that are perma-assigned to small areas (cocoa/hay planter, brewer, etc) and the other 4 roam and do random poo poo while all the summoned minions haul things about. Everyone's wearing excellent/masterwork plate and carrying excellent/masterwork plasteel clubs. They beat a T-Rex to death and all it cost was two zombies getting their legs bitten off. One of these legless bastards got corpse consumed during a mana drain. The other one now slowly drags itself around the brewery making wort. The T-Rex corpse sits in the main base freezer waiting for the right moment to be raised and sent out to war.

The citadel itself has become a nigh-impregnable nightmare. Anyone landing anywhere to the north of the base faces the exhaustion maze, a standard "climb over these sandbags and rotting corpses in the dark" spiral. There are spike traps scattered throughout. The maze is not long enough to cause most raids to flee, just long enough that they reach the end exhausted, terrified, hungry, and demoralized. The last few dozen yards of the maze require a crawl over a dozen or so rotting corpses and, wouldn't you know it, when you get there the necromancer steps into line of sight and raises 5 of them as cannon fodder zombies. The desperate "raiders" now have to fight tooth and claw against those zombies in the dark. Usually 1-2 of the raiders make it and break out of the maze only to find nine plate-armored plasteel club-wielding zombies awaiting them just outside the entrance. Maximum horror, maximum despair.

Anyone landing anywhere to the south of the base must deal with two self-supporting autocannon fortresses centered around two extremely convenient steam vents that allow a minimum of 8-10 autocannons to fire on them at a time and, if they come from straight south, allows all 25 to open up on them at once. In between the fortresses is the Dead Zone, a huge freezer filled with corpses. While raiders struggle over alternating fields of rocks and sandbags, the necromancer simply stands in the Dead Zone and sends wave after wave of fodder zombies at them while the cannons mow them down. At the end the corpses of the raiders replenish the Dead Zone and the zombies rearm the guns while the necromancer rubs his hands and feels evil.

Anyone landing inside the base has to deal with the full magical array a high-level summoner can throw out (elementals, turrets, mines) as well as a numberless horde of fodder zombies from Dead Zone 2 aka the brewery. I've had a massive mechanoid ship slam into the middle of the base and ate it alive. When you don't give a poo poo about the dozens of pawns you're throwing at them mechanoids aren't all that worrisome, honestly. Oh poo poo, 10 centipedes! Hand that necromancer a mana potion and forget about it.

Oh, is someone trying a siege? Well... that's a shame... FOR THEM. Zombies can keep up a 24/7 bombardment from my 6 mortar pit. They don't get tired and they don't succumb to pressure or threats! When it finally drives the siegers at us they either get the maze or the Dead Zone. There are no good choices here.

What I'm saying is, a red box on the right side of my screen is a cause for joy. Oh yes. It's horror time.

One tip for anyone who's just going to start A Rimworld of Magic is to prioritize those things up top like Clarity and Spirit over most of the spell-specific upgrades. There are a few exceptions to this (summoners need to get minion 3/3 ASAP for example to get 2 greater minions) but having 25% faster mana generation or an extra 30 or 40 mana is a poo poo-ton better early on than something like -20% mana to one spell.

Also, you can put one enchantment on each piece of gear. Look at the gear and enchant it with something it doesn't already have or else the enchant will be lost. If you're wearing a robe with +energy max, +energy regen, and +damage, none of those gems will do anything. Enchant it with -cooldown or -mana cost or something like that and you just made that piece better. Mundane gear like shirts, pants, etc can take one enchantment of any kind. A high-level mage wearing a properly enchanted Robe of the Archmage, Arcane Hood, Staff of Blazing Power, and other mundane gear enchanted is a one-man army. I'd be willing to bet a properly set-up summoner with top gear and a decent defensive base setup could take down a 40-man raid by themselves. By the time they reached your base you could have 20+ elementals backing up 10+ turrets on the other side of a mana minefield. Some people call this OP. I call this loving awesome.

Oh and one necro-specific tip: always, always, always keep your mana at like 1/4 or higher and have some potions to drink and corpses to consume because the random event "mana drain" seems to happen a lot and can melt your undead army in seconds if you are at single-digit mana and razor's-edging it with your zombie regen/drain calculation. I know this because I got down to like 15 mana in a situation where I had enough zombies that my regen/drain were perfectly balanced, walked to the kitchen to make a sandwich, and came back to zero zombies after a mana drain occurred. In a related note, gently caress mana drain.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

jokes posted:

I thought the % next to the addiction was "they will die at 100%" poo poo.

Rimworld: Literal Booze Hounds ITT

Nah, it's a "They are this far through the harrowing ordeal of quitting cold turkey."

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I love your recreation of the Tomb Of Horrors AD&D module.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Can longbows fit on automatic turrets? Because if so you could go full theming on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

robotsinmyhead posted:

This game is incredible. My settlement is overrun by 30+ Pet Rats, so this Art Piece was appropriate.

The rat's newborn, also a rat.

Literally how my first colony died, 'how bad can fifteen manhunter rats be???'