Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

jit bull transpile posted:

automatic time zone detection has literally never worked on any windows machine I've owned. it's amazing how many settings don't work at all in windows

not even the settings app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

on the topic of the failing microsoft btw they briefly became highest valued us company today, beating out aapl

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

on the topic of the failing microsoft btw they briefly became highest valued us company today, beating out aapl

i read this and i still don't understand how. if you had said samsung or google i'd be like, yeah, i could see that happening. but microsoft?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

if you're predicting the death of the personal computer that is at least a modern-day take yeah

which goes back to why win10 exists and is so hated

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

i read this and i still don't understand how. if you had said samsung or google i'd be like, yeah, i could see that happening. but microsoft?

to some extent a matter of 'markets', but microsoft also has a pretty good mix of business areas doing well. they are one of the few non-amazon actors in cloud actually posting great growth, productivity keeps doing well, and while windows is now mixed up with a bunch of other things (xbox, search, other online services) it is still making money hand-over-fist

apple makes way way more money for its valuation, but it is forever relying on the iphone to make the money, where msft could realistically have windows just crash and burn in the next decade and still have most of their earnings potential intact

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

orange sky posted:

I mean Excel is pretty much all-purpose but many times what you're doing in Excel can be done more cheaply and faster in any other of the billions of applications that now exist, it's just a matter of looking for it

here, i've helpfully bolded the part that invalidates the entire rest of your premise. people will not "look for it". people won't do anything that changes their workflow even a little bit without being forced kicking and screaming into it, and that's not even counting all the product specific quirks that mean excel is the only thing that does exactly what they want.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

infernal machines posted:

here, i've helpfully bolded the part that invalidates the entire rest of your premise.

at least on windows 10 you can't tell that you bolded anything lol

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

so Microsoft is leaving the gaming hardware business, so far staying true to what I predicted in early summer at least, if not early (mostly just taking the rumours and leaks to their logical conclusion). still, I do not see this narrative being told anywhere else and Microsoft stock temporarily overtook Apple's in market cap, although that has always defied all reason. maybe had more to do with the annual cycle of peak iPhone histrionics.

anyway, I got a Switch as I'll be doing some travelling. although I was keen about this console a year ago, it largely hinged on the potential. a year later, it has not done much to meet that potential.

I got the device, signed in seemingly a dozen times, and when I was finally able to buy a game, it downloaded automatically and gave me no chance to pause. the wait is going to be over 2 hours and if I want to just play Virtual Console in the meantime, I have to first cancel the download and download the other smaller game.

not sure whether it's Nintendo's CDN or the device's antenna, but drat that seems too slow. after that, my device will be too full to download another AAA-sized game. $500 for a device that has less storage than an iPod nano.

moreover, there's no progress made in the way of making this at all a more general purpose entertainment device, not even just for the kids. no Netflix or anything seems to be widely available (US has Hulu I think?) in a world of set-top boxes and phones that are home to iTunes and Play Stores, this stands apart as s stubbornly single-purpose device.

update: LOL, the Switch version of Doom is said online to be 14GB, but apparently they went and added multiplayer and expansions in, and it's now 27GB and leaves only enough room for some NES ROMS lol :/

orange sky
May 7, 2007

That's the problem with Nintendo - the possibilities are always amazing but nobody ever fulfills them because it's a limited audience. I know the switch has amazing sales numbers, but when you can go through a beaten path and develop a regular game for PS4 or PC why would you "waste your time" making something seriously innovative with a technology nobody really knows much about.

While the platform might be good and novel, it's what happens on top of it that'll determine the success.

As for Microsoft and xbox, in my opinion they should just drop hardware, all of it. Bad margins, lots of promotion efforts, huge supply chain... It's not like Microsoft's hardware/software combination has special advantages against OEMs, if anything it's worse. But then again I'm not a Microsoft manager, so I don't know their priorities.

E: Also, where did you see they're leaving the gaming hardware business?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

orange sky posted:

E: Also, where did you see they're leaving the gaming hardware business?

simply from my own intelligence.

well, first of all they made the guy managing Minecraft one of the top Xbox execs. when that happened they did a number of interviews where they dropped a number of hints about publishing on other platforms.

at that point there were also rumours of a game streaming service, which have now been announced. I just put two and two together and imagined they'll probably replace xbox with a streaming service and even try publish streaming games on PS4/Switch, if not native games.

just think how MS has been begging Sony to allow cross-platform multiplayer, they'll be begging to launch a streaming app next.

the streaming service was unveiled in October

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

while pleasurekevins judgement is likely to sway many, one can consider also the xbox head phil schiller claiming that they are "deep into architecting the next Xbox consoles, where we will once again deliver on our commitment to deliver the benchmark of console gaming."

orange sky
May 7, 2007

while pleasurekevins judgement is likely to sway many, one can consider also the xbox head phil schiller claiming that they are "deep into architecting the next Xbox consoles, where we will once again deliver on our commitment to deliver the benchmark of console gaming."

dude's a double agent

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

while pleasurekevins judgement is likely to sway many

lol

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

orange sky posted:

That's the problem with Nintendo - the possibilities are always amazing but nobody ever fulfills them because it's a limited audience. I know the switch has amazing sales numbers, but when you can go through a beaten path and develop a regular game for PS4 or PC why would you "waste your time" making something seriously innovative with a technology nobody really knows much about.

does "seriously innovative" mean "waggle controls?"

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

PleasureKevin posted:

not sure whether it's Nintendo's CDN or the device's antenna, but drat that seems too slow. after that, my device will be too full to download another AAA-sized game. $500 for a device that has less storage than an iPod nano.

so you bought the device advertised with 32 gb of storage and an sd card slot and didn’t think you’d need an sd card?

quote:

moreover, there's no progress made in the way of making this at all a more general purpose entertainment device, not even just for the kids. no Netflix or anything seems to be widely available (US has Hulu I think?) in a world of set-top boxes and phones that are home to iTunes and Play Stores, this stands apart as s stubbornly single-purpose device.

i think the thinking here is why support these kinds of apps when the average user likely already has a device that can do this better, aka a smartphone or tablet

they had those apps on the ds, Wii and Wii U and I bet almost nobody used them

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

nintendo won because they got Bayonetta

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

always bet on witchcraft carrying the day really

also i really enjoy the switch, but then i don't have a tv so it is not like i had other couch options

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

phil schiller claiming that they are "deep into architecting the next Xbox consoles, where we will once again deliver on our commitment to deliver the benchmark of console gaming."

that's pretty big news, at what point did Apple buy xbox? or did Apple's senior Vice President, Phil schiller, join Microsoft while I was asleep?

of course you're probably thinking of Phil Spencer. Microsoft is known to, in a word, lie. but they like to do it through weird statements that, if you strain to think about it, are technically little open ended.

recall that they called the Xbox One the most powerful console specifically because of it's alleged cloud capabilities. they promised things like cloud rendering to boost the graphics of traditional games, something that I don't think has materialized. Crackdown is instead supposed to leverage Azure in some way, and that's about it.

Spencer's statement technically doesn't use language that specifies whether this console will have a local GPU or a cloud one. and when they say it'll be powerful, remember that to Microsoft this has meant simply cloud-supported in the past. taking all Spencer's statements over the past year as a whole, there is a more ambiguous picture as well.

My Linux Rig posted:

so you bought the device advertised with 32 gb of storage and an sd card slot and didn’t think you’d need an sd card?

excuse me but I can complain about whatever the gently caress I want. I'm getting a SD card today, if that makes you feel better.

My Linux Rig posted:

i think the thinking here is why support these kinds of apps when the average user likely already has a device that can do this better, aka a smartphone or tablet

they had those apps on the ds, Wii and Wii U and I bet almost nobody used them

it could also be considered that the Switch is a very tablet/smartphone-inspired device. Nintendo designed and released the Switch under great pressure to release mobile games. I always saw the Switch as Nintendo saying, "fine, but rather than release it on a current mobile ecosystem, we're making our own". the design of the Switch also seems to say it's a more mature device, but their available software doesn't match.

also the Switch being a mobile and home console hybrid offers some unique possibilities. you could start a movie at home on the TV and then take it on the go without missing a beat. that seems like a compelling use case they could market to families. Apple can technically do the same thing with Airplay and other hardware, but this is as dead simple as docking and undocking the device.

perhaps they are simply tapering the release of features. this is something I see many gaming companies doing. having your whole game, console or OS ready on day 1 is hard. plus, adding big features to your product later seems to re-invigorate interest and awareness and sales of the product hight over time. this can be seen in various degrees of success in Destiny from Bungie/Activision, Battlefield V from EA and even No Man's Sky, which recently made it onto player count and sales charts years after release.

Nintendo only recently released the promised Nintendo Online and I expect they will also do hardware revisions like they did on the 3DS. perhaps media apps will follow, but I just mean to say it seems bare at the moment.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

microsoft wants a future where people will be able to play ~all those great xbox exclusives~ as a streamed service

all those games people will come running to pay for, such as:

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

i enjoy talking about the xbox one because everyone involed is so completely incompetent in every possible way

the original xbox was p good considering what it was competing against. xbox live was far and away the best for console gaming

the 360 comes out and its good! it beats the ps3 to market by almost a year and the ps3 has some serious launch shortcomings (cell processor is significantly more difficult to develop for, the online experience is absolutely terrible, you have to install games, etc)

then the xbox one comes out (they named the third xbox the xbox one) and its clear that nobody had any idea what they were doing.
as a cost cutting measure they skimp on ram, but its okay because they put a whopping 32mb of super fast esram in there
the xbox comes with a kinect, you cant not buy a kinect, the xbox literally will not function without the kinect attached. this fucks the price point up and the xbox one is like $100 more than the ps4 at launch
in the year 2012 the xbox team thought that the future of watching television was........the cable box. they add an hdmi input and overlay channel data so you can watch tv from your cable box right from your xbox one. this feature straight up does not work in non ntsc countries and even where it does work it's garbage. adds a ton to the BOM (thus precipitating the aforementioned RAM situation)
games must be installed but unlike the 10 year old ps3 that did this you cant replace the internal hard drive
it struggles to run anyhting at 1080p30 (again because of ram but also general lack of focus on the purpose of the console)
games are serialed and locked to the console without a ridiculous byzantine process so that you can lend a game to someone else. because of this if your console is offline for more than 24 hours you cant play games (this is removed pre-launch because of the widespread reaction to it. including sony posting a demo on offical process for sharing ps4 games)

i think like half of the xbox one reveal was dedicated to the tv overlay feature and how espn had an app that you could dock to take up part of the screen and watch stats in real time or something (the app docking feature is eventually removed)

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 28, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

when i first saw the xbox one at reveal i thought it was a cable box too so you just get a cable card from your provider and the xbox is the only thing you need to connect to your tv

nope! that would make too much sense. i assume they wanted to do that at some point but ended up with the stupid pass through thing that didn't work

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

PleasureKevin posted:

it could also be considered that the Switch is a very tablet/smartphone-inspired device. Nintendo designed and released the Switch under great pressure to release mobile games. I always saw the Switch as Nintendo saying, "fine, but rather than release it on a current mobile ecosystem, we're making our own". the design of the Switch also seems to say it's a more mature device, but their available software doesn't match.

also the Switch being a mobile and home console hybrid offers some unique possibilities. you could start a movie at home on the TV and then take it on the go without missing a beat. that seems like a compelling use case they could market to families. Apple can technically do the same thing with Airplay and other hardware, but this is as dead simple as docking and undocking the device.

perhaps they are simply tapering the release of features. this is something I see many gaming companies doing. having your whole game, console or OS ready on day 1 is hard. plus, adding big features to your product later seems to re-invigorate interest and awareness and sales of the product hight over time. this can be seen in various degrees of success in Destiny from Bungie/Activision, Battlefield V from EA and even No Man's Sky, which recently made it onto player count and sales charts years after release.

Nintendo only recently released the promised Nintendo Online and I expect they will also do hardware revisions like they did on the 3DS. perhaps media apps will follow, but I just mean to say it seems bare at the moment.

they did release a youtube app for the switch recently so maybe they will add more media apps to it eventually

but really the whole niche of smart devices to watch media on has already been filled to brim for years. yeah the switch could be used to watch a movie on the go and then at home but so can an apple tv, some google tv device, smart tvs/dvrs if the service keeps track of where they left off, etc. it kind of makes sense that Nintendo just focuses on the video game aspect of their systems and shelves the media stuff

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
does the switch still require you to use a cellphone for online voice chat?

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

yeah and it works great when it works but so far I've only got it to work on Mario kart

and then I never used it again cause it literally added nothing to the experience

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

PleasureKevin posted:

that's pretty big news, at what point did Apple buy xbox? or did Apple's senior Vice President, Phil schiller, join Microsoft while I was asleep?

of course you're probably thinking of Phil Spencer. Microsoft is known to, in a word, lie. but they like to do it through weird statements that, if you strain to think about it, are technically little open ended.

recall that they called the Xbox One the most powerful console specifically because of it's alleged cloud capabilities. they promised things like cloud rendering to boost the graphics of traditional games, something that I don't think has materialized. Crackdown is instead supposed to leverage Azure in some way, and that's about it.

Spencer's statement technically doesn't use language that specifies whether this console will have a local GPU or a cloud one. and when they say it'll be powerful, remember that to Microsoft this has meant simply cloud-supported in the past. taking all Spencer's statements over the past year as a whole, there is a more ambiguous picture as well.

oops, got the name wrong yeah

we'll see i guess, i am sure there'll be some all-cloud tier at minimum, so you're not entirely off-base there, but i would give very good odds on there being a very traditional box too. it is not like the cost developing a console is nearly as high in the new era of pretty standard pc parts, the difference between a "new console" and a performance bump like the x/pro is likely to be more marketing than reality at this point

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

what

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

nintendo, in their infinite wisdom, made their online enabled portable console require the use of a companion app and a weird cable to use voice chat

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
bizarre

mystes
May 31, 2006

nintendo, in their infinite wisdom, made their online enabled portable console require the use of a companion app and a weird cable to use voice chat

I would have thought "use a cellphone for online voice chat" just meant you have to literally call people to simulate voice chat, but this is possibly even dumber?

Edit: I can understand why the Wii and Wii U didn't have voice chat, but doesn't the Switch finally have an actual multitasking operating system that could presumably support it?

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 28, 2018

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

lmao no fucken way

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

what

you don’t have to use a cable, you can literally just have the phone on speaker

but you do need the app

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

drain two batteries at once!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Nintendo has some weird aversion to online multiplayer. do they still have that dumb friend code poo poo?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wait is the cable plugging into the switch or just the phone? I assumed the voice chat was completely independent of the console and handled entirely through the phone, but I realized I'm not actually sure from the picture.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mystes posted:

Wait is the cable plugging into the switch or just the phone? I assumed the voice chat was completely independent of the console and handled entirely through the phone, but I realized I'm not actually sure from the picture.

it plugs into both, to get audio from the switch and phone, and send audio to the phone. but it's only needed if you want to use the headset

mystes
May 31, 2006

it plugs into both, to get audio from the switch and phone, and send audio to the phone. but it's only needed if you want to use the headset
Oh I see so it's just so you can hear the output from the switch over the headset rather than from your TV. That explains why they needed to make a special cable rather than just using a normal phone headset, I guess, but it presumably does mean that the phone is handling all of the actual voice chat which is bizarre in the first place.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
maybe they put the wrong 3.5mm jack in the device and didn't realize it until it shipped.

mystes
May 31, 2006

They must have made the decision really late in the console's development, but do they seriously not have anything else they could plug a headset into?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I think it was honestly "people want to play these games over the internet? with other people? well ok maybe we can do something about that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
nintendo's online strategy is perfect because enabling online multiplayer games should be a chore and voice chat even moreso to discourage its use