Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

lol if your golem isn't cwdt

I found a spare slot for my portal gem, and it became CWDT. Which was actually quite nice for accidental deaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Have you considered cast on death support instead? :v: What a handy gem!

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Awesome! posted:

the pen card is lara's. her paying for a pen card with her dabbing on it doesnt necessarily mean they are nerfing the rarity

the second joke is that she is refusing a chicken dinner

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Vasudus posted:

I rarely even bother with a golem anymore. Doubt I'm going to use a brand or a banner either.

im gonna run a banner purely for the Aesthetic

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Captainicus posted:

Have you considered cast on death support instead? :v: What a handy gem!

Not sure I want a portal right next to where I died, as that’s usually a dangerous spot.

I’m usually running away trying to click Portal, and invariably clicking Scroll of Wisdom, then by that point I’m dead and have to run from the entrance.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Golems Get You Killed

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

TheRat posted:

Golems Get You Killed

But I feel so lonely without a golem :(

I actually usually don't run one either because there are other things I'd rather put in my cwdt and I always forget to cast it manually.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Papercut posted:

But I feel so lonely without a golem :(

I actually usually don't run one either because there are other things I'd rather put in my cwdt and I always forget to cast it manually.

cwdt-ball lightning-gmp-curse on hit-enfeeble-blind :q:

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

TheRat posted:

Golems Get You Killed

Incursions where my golem drew aggro against those chaos projectile spamming mobs convinced me that golems are a lie

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

TheRat posted:

Golems Get You Killed

:(

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Golems are good when you're not a very experienced player, especially stone golem carries you quite hard for a long time. End game though, they can gently caress you up if you're otherwise good at relying on positioning and reaction time.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
Do I actually need my golem in my skill bar for it to spawn? I have it linked with CWDT, but I feel like I haven't seen it in a long time.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

TheRat posted:

Golems are good when you're not a very experienced player, especially stone golem carries you quite hard for a long time. End game though, they can gently caress you up if you're otherwise good at relying on positioning and reaction time.

That makes sense. I’ve been using Phase Run and it makes minion crowds so fun.

I’m sad that when you raise a minion as a spectre who also summons minions, their minions don’t appear to benefit from your passive tree. :/

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Maha posted:

Do I actually need my golem in my skill bar for it to spawn? I have it linked with CWDT, but I feel like I haven't seen it in a long time.

Did you level your golem gem too much?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Maha posted:

Nope, but you need to make sure it doesnt outlevel your cwdt. What you can do is unsocket cwdt, manually cast it and then put cwdt back in and let it recast it as you play.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Is it Friday yet..

J
Jun 10, 2001

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I'm about to take on this Brutus fella.

Turns out Cleave is way more poo poo than Ground Slam. I feel a bit conflicted since I don't think Ground Slamming my way through the content will actually teach me a single loving thing about the game.

Is this how it works? You select a skill and marry yourself to it?

Nah, skills are easy enough to switch and play around with. Many builds will use one skill that is good for leveling, and then switch to a different skill at endgame. Feel free to mess around and try stuff out. Every act will have a vendor that sells skill gems - the selection will expand after you complete certain quests, usually ones that also reward skill gems. Just try to make sure to have support gems that increase damage linked to the main skill you're using to kill stuff at the time. You're still at the very start of the game so you don't have access to many support gems yet.

Most builds will have skill setups that fall into some combo of these categories:

Main skill to kill stuff - make sure you support this skill with as many damage gems as you can.
Mobility skill - leap slam, whirling blades, shield charge, etc.
Mana reservation skills - these will eat a percentage of your mana in exchange for a buff. Auras, heralds, curses linked with blasphemy.
Golem - a buddy that hangs around and gives you a passive buff and as mentioned upthread, can get you killed sometimes.
Utility totems - Decoy totem, ancestral protector/warchief, etc. Ancestral protector and warchief are both really good for melee builds, they attack enemies with you and provide you a buff while active.
Cast when damage taken + immortal call + X - a defensive setup that activates automatically when you take damage.
War cries - enduring cry, rallying cry, etc. Shout and taunt all the mobs and get a buff based on how many enemies are around.

What you'll end up finding out is that there are a poo poo load of skills, and not enough gem slots to support them all. And the support gems are really important. If you find your damage is lacking and your main skill is supported well, then look to add damage through skills in one of the categories above. For example, in a melee build, right now you're using ground slam. When you fight a boss maybe you feel like your single target damage is bad, so you think oh hey maybe I should use heavy strike, it has a higher damage modifier. Which is true, you could switch gems around before bosses, and some builds will do that. But instead you could add ancestral protector, which will buff you and also do damage, and later on add in an aura/herald which will buff your damage more. Then your ground slam will do significantly more boss damage as well.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Tai posted:

Is it Friday yet..

what happens on Friday?

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude

Jusupov posted:

Did you level your golem gem too much?

Oh, I did. I kept CWDT at lvl 1 and just kept pumping the golem.

TheRat posted:

Nope, but you need to make sure it doesnt outlevel your cwdt. What you can do is unsocket cwdt, manually cast it and then put cwdt back in and let it recast it as you play.

Will that let me go around with an overleveled golem?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Maha posted:

Nope

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Maha posted:

Oh, I did. I kept CWDT at lvl 1 and just kept pumping the golem.

until it dies, but CWDT will not trigger a gem if it is leveled past what it can support (at lvl 1 CWDT it's gems that require lvl 38 or lower)

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
it's a super easy problem to fix though, just buy a new golem gem and if you need to level it at all (like if you can afford to level it to level 3 or whatever) it should happen in no time

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I'm a bad but how does golem get you killed outside of the odd chaining shenanigans? Mine tend to be a screen or so behind and do nothing of value aside from provide their relevant buff.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I leave stone golem on self cast :shrug:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I'm a bad but how does golem get you killed outside of the odd chaining shenanigans? Mine tend to be a screen or so behind and do nothing of value aside from provide their relevant buff.

If you're solo you know enemies will be either attacking you directly or doing some form of pattern based attack. With a golem added in to the mix you have a wandering target that can cause your attempts to dodge spells end up with you getting hit by a spell targeting your golem.
The worst aspect of golems though is that they aggro before your spawn protection is over, without being strong enough to deal with the enemies they've aggro'd-- which gives rise to the aforementioned Incursion scenario where you have a dozen of Incursion's most deadly enemy spamming their projectiles at your starting location and if you move there's a good chance you near-instantly die to that spam.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Count Uvula posted:

If you're solo you know enemies will be either attacking you directly or doing some form of pattern based attack. With a golem added in to the mix you have a wandering target that can cause your attempts to dodge spells end up with you getting hit by a spell targeting your golem.
The worst aspect of golems though is that they aggro before your spawn protection is over, without being strong enough to deal with the enemies they've aggro'd-- which gives rise to the aforementioned Incursion scenario where you have a dozen of Incursion's most deadly enemy spamming their projectiles at your starting location and if you move there's a good chance you near-instantly die to that spam.

Oh yeah I ran into that a few times. I learned to either unummon the idiot before going into those or just let it die before I moved, which usually takes a very very short time.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
That was a great league for CI :getin:

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Is there anything you could slot in rather than the golem for the buff it provides? I use mine primarily for the lightning buff. I don't care if he just sits there.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
They should add a minion support gem that makes supported minions 100% passive and gives them a big defense boost.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Vulpes posted:

They should add a minion support gem that makes supported minions 100% passive and gives them a big defense boost.

I'd be happier with one that makes them do 0 damage and makes them flat out invincible/ignored by the AI. The new focus mechanic thing looks like it may be an okay substitute for cwdt since you can make focus fire socketed gems in a piece of gear. Could do something like put blood rage, molten shell, golem all in one thing and have it trigger all 3 (on a 12sec CD tho)

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 28, 2018

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

BadMedic posted:

There is a newbie guide called the twilight strand, it has a lot of good advice, some easy starter builds for each class and a zone by zone walkthrough. Check it out if you feel lost or are stuck on something, you don't have to read the whole thing.

Wow, this has a lot of really good tips! Like:

https://sites.google.com/view/thetwilightstrand/main-story-act-3/trading?authuser=0#h.p_6e9z711fFC1p posted:

If you get a lot of whispers immediately on posting an item, it is almost certainly underpriced - consider relisting it at a higher price.

:unsmigghh:

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
There's a big difference between underpricing an item because you're a noob and don't understand why the item is worth so much, and throwing everything you find in a 5c buyout dump quad tab with the premeditated intent of baiting out mass whispers so that you don't have to bother looking at/sorting stuff because clearly your time is more valuable than every other players'.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

If there's any guild spots left, please can I have an invite for MyOtherExileIsAHonda?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I would be ok with them adding like conditional buttons for stuff like golems. Put the option in the same general area as the 'cast without moving' option, and give you like four spots to put skills of your choosing. If you don't have that skill active, the skill pops up on the little temporary bar. Put the bar right where dynamite/flares are currently. Would let you move things like blood rage or golems off your main bar but not fully automate them.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Well, this just unearthed the concept of a COCSLAM groundslam build. Looks hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz9wkdf885o

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/a1ar9q/youre_right_that_this_was_a_bad_place_to_have_the/

note the name of the party member lol.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Oooh can't wait for patch notes

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I can only hope that stat sticks die a terrible death.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Vasudus posted:

I can only hope that stat sticks die a terrible death.

This except bring back self cast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

what are stat sticks

edit: nevermind i googled