Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Min_sora posted:

I liked Pocahontas II in a really low-expectations way, probably because I didn't like the original at all. For whatever reason, they decided to throw in some actual history and threw out John Smith so she could end up with John Rolfe. Smith even shows up at the end (he was presumed dead for most of the film) and Pocahontas is just like "nah, I love John Rolfe now". Also, Ratcliffe is smarter in the sequel.

I would contend either the Beauty and the Beast sequels are the truly awful ones, just due to sheer step down in quality, or the Hunchback of Notre Dame 2 because someone was mad Quasimodo didn't get a girlfriend (who also must be attractive, of course).
I remember the Christmas sequel being pretty good. It's got Tim Curry as an evil pipe organ, and Bernadette Peter's as a Christmas ornament. I remember they were still making a big deal about their direct to video sequels at that stage. The last time I saw them really promote one of them was Bambi II, and that was one of the last ones they did. They got Patrick Stewart for it, which isn't necessarily a mark of quality since he voiced a literal piece of poo poo in a movie last year, and laughed all the way to the bank.

Edit: Speaking of DTV, they're still making Scooby Doo movies, and this one has fake Vincent Price in it.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

That Scooby-Doo is a sequel to the old series The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo, which ended before they caught the 13th ghost and had the real Vincent Price. Now the circle will be complete.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

What if it's Robyn Hood, and he makes synthpop

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Tars Tarkas posted:

That Scooby-Doo is a sequel to the old series The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo, which ended before they caught the 13th ghost and had the real Vincent Price. Now the circle will be complete.

I'm kind of amazed they're even touching that poo poo after so long. Isn't Flim-Flam like the one character people hate more than Scrappy?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

I Before E posted:

What if it's Robyn Hood, and he makes synthpop

lady robin hood https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExW-ieHSEHU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Realtalk, and maybe I come off as biased: the DTV stuff is all pretty entertaining and even a few of the recent TV series are solid. I'm excited to see the new writers try and close out one of the black eyes of the franchise.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I'm kind of amazed they're even touching that poo poo after so long. Isn't Flim-Flam like the one character people hate more than Scrappy?

I don't remember hating him when I was a kid but after seeing them as an adult, his name is pretty accurate

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I remember someone posted a clip from one of the recent Scooby Doo shows that implied Flim Flam is in prison for life.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

I wonder why there wasnt a film of this yet
https://youtu.be/2N1TJP1cxmo

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Is there a thread for the new Robin Hood movie? Because that sure was something like a movie.

chesnok
Nov 14, 2014

got any sevens posted:

I wonder why there wasnt a film of this yet
https://youtu.be/2N1TJP1cxmo

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0414852/

Min_sora
Oct 21, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

I remember the Christmas sequel being pretty good. It's got Tim Curry as an evil pipe organ, and Bernadette Peter's as a Christmas ornament. I remember they were still making a big deal about their direct to video sequels at that stage. The last time I saw them really promote one of them was Bambi II, and that was one of the last ones they did. They got Patrick Stewart for it, which isn't necessarily a mark of quality since he voiced a literal piece of poo poo in a movie last year, and laughed all the way to the bank.

Edit: Speaking of DTV, they're still making Scooby Doo movies, and this one has fake Vincent Price in it.

The only thing I remember about Bambi 2 is that there's some lovely kid deer in it who apparently grows up to be the deer Bambi fights near the end of the first film.

Edit: Urgh, and it got a theatrical release in my country.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

END ME SCOOB posted:

Realtalk, and maybe I come off as biased: the DTV stuff is all pretty entertaining and even a few of the recent TV series are solid. I'm excited to see the new writers try and close out one of the black eyes of the franchise.

Mystery Inc. is the best Scooby-Doo thing since season 1 of the original show.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Feldegast42 posted:

Spin off the series into a medieval heist movie called Robbin Wood

Robbing Hoods, I believe you mean.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Rirse posted:

I remember someone posted a clip from one of the recent Scooby Doo shows that implied Flim Flam is in prison for life.

Better than Scrappy Doo, who was found dead in Miami.

feedmyleg posted:

Mystery Inc. is the best Scooby-Doo thing since season 1 of the original show.

It's good and probably the only part of the Scooby Doo series I have enjoyed since A Pup Named Scooby Doo and Scooby Doo on Zombie Island.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

quote:

‘Cowboy Bebop’ Live-Action Remake Of Cult Anime TV Series Picked Up By Netflix

https://deadline.com/2018/11/cowboy-bebop-live-action-series-netflix-remake-cult-anime-tv-series-1202510110/

good luck with that

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That's got a 75% chance of being awful, a 15% chance of being Firefly (also awful), a 9% chance of being forgettable, and a 1% chance of being as good as Altered Carbon (uneven with occasional flashes of brilliance and great atmosphere).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Even if it's good everyone will hate it, including me

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/BlackRockShadow/status/1067653904245161984?s=19

...though the more I think about Samberg playing Spike the more it actually works?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Only if they do the fridge monster, and the requisite implied tie-in to Space Dandy.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

asecondduck posted:

https://twitter.com/BlackRockShadow/status/1067653904245161984?s=19

...though the more I think about Samberg playing Spike the more it actually works?

Lakeith Stanfield

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 28, 2018

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Keep Rosa as Ed, offer no explanation

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Screencaps of the new film have been released that show a teenager/young adult Flim Flam.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/RealGDT/status/1067075034290769922

I want to live in a world where all those movies became real.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

PJOmega posted:

Is there a thread for the new Robin Hood movie? Because that sure was something like a movie.

:justpost:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Getting excited for GDT screenplays is like believing in santa claus, but I'm extremely intrigued by a possible team-up with Mark Frost.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Vegetable posted:

Reviews for Robin Hood have been terrible, but what really grates me is the director. From directing a few TV episodes, admittedly winning awards in that area, he suddenly gets a $100 million blockbuster dropped on him. This sort of poo poo happens only to white male directors.

I think race is not the factor as much as "person who won't mind/can be duped into acting as the studio's puppet". For a while there was a trend for those people to be foreign directors (the director of the RoboCop remake comes to mind).

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 28, 2018

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Getting excited for GDT screenplays is like believing in santa claus, but I'm extremely intrigued by a possible team-up with Mark Frost.

GDT is like one of those Amazonian flowers that bloom once every eight years. It’s a sight to behold, but man do you do a lot of waiting out in the jungle.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I want to see THE HULK pilot, but not if it's atv show pilot, only if it's a movie about THE HULK learning to fly a plane

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I want SECRET PROJECT: UNTITLED as a real film title

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I want to see THE HULK pilot, but not if it's atv show pilot, only if it's a movie about THE HULK learning to fly a plane

See episode...3 I want to say of the original 70s TV show. You're welcome.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

"Hulk had it with these gamma-irradiated dogs on this gamma-irradiated plane! Everyone strap in! About to smash some gamma-irradiated windows!"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

got any sevens posted:

I want SECRET PROJECT: UNTITLED as a real film title

For the longest time I was really hoping they were going to end up with Untitled Deadpool Sequel as the real name for that flick.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If GDT were allowed to make his At the Mountains of Madness with the budget he needs to pull it off, I'd be fine with him just riding off into the sunset on that note. Can't have him retiring(or the other thing) before that movie becomes a reality!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Lakeith Stanfield

Goddamn, I was thinking the same thing. It'll never happen, because of the racist fanboy outrage, but, then again, he was in Netflix's Death Note as L, so it would be possible.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

I think race is not the factor as much as "person who won't mind/can be duped into acting as the studio's puppet". For a while there was a trend for those people to be foreign directors (the director of the RoboCop remake comes to mind).

That's an older trend than that. Remember Andrzej Bartkowiak? Accomplished Polish cinematographer who ended up directing a bunch of Rap/Kung Fu vehicles, mostly for DMX? Or Pitof? interesting up and coming French director who ended up making loving Catwoman?

There's always that tendency to grab a relative unknown, someone who can be strongarmed. You tell Steven Spielberg you're going to cut his movie to shreds at the last minute, and he tells you to gently caress off.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

AceOfFlames posted:

With RoboCop, it was that Sony kept on changing the script from what Padilha had originally signed on to direct, and then they constantly had meddlers on-set telling him what to do. During production, he told a friend of his that he was never going to work in the American studio system ever again because he was so miserable.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Timby posted:

With RoboCop, it was that Sony kept on changing the script from what Padilha had originally signed on to direct, and then they constantly had meddlers on-set telling him what to do. During production, he told a friend of his that he was never going to work in the American studio system ever again because he was so miserable.

It's impressive that the movie still turned out pretty good.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Young Freud posted:

Goddamn, I was thinking the same thing. It'll never happen, because of the racist fanboy outrage, but, then again, he was in Netflix's Death Note as L, so it would be possible.

Even as someone that enjoyed that movie, it really just made me want to see a series about Stanfield's L solving supernatural crime with his impressive detective skills, rad future gun, and synthwave footchase scenes. Dude killed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/1067917838185189376