Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

TheBigAristotle posted:

I really don't like knights and what they've done to the meta. Fortunately I don't see a ton in my local meta, so it's not like I have a legitimate beef, I just think they're big and dumb.

There are way too many where I am, the only people who don't take them are xenos players. I don't need them to be curbstomped in CA but it would be nice to not have deal with them every game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Harvey Mantaco posted:

It's like yackity sax trying to catch them, haulers got pretty lovely range besides the missiles.

10" movement with a 24" Melta isn't that bad though? On top of that, they don't suffer a penalty for moving and shooting a heavy weapon, and having 3 in a unit gives them 3+ BS.

I haven't had an issue with hunting down Knights with them yet.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

R0ckfish posted:

There are way too many where I am, the only people who don't take them are xenos players. I don't need them to be curbstomped in CA but it would be nice to not have deal with them every game.

If people had only played apocalypse they wouldn’t have forced them into standard.

So it’s really our fault.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I killed a Helverin in one turn with my three haulers the one time I faced it.

LingcodKilla posted:

If people had only played apocalypse they wouldn’t have forced them into standard.

So it’s really our fault.

No one cares what you have to say.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm curious to see what happens with CA. Maybe it'll give me the motivation to finish my Ultramarines and play them more. I think I want to go back and redo the gold trim for yellow trim on my 2nd company, sine i'm rocking the old school red bolters.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
GSC warlord trait table and paraphrased Stratagems popped up on /tg last night. I read 4chan so you don't have to:

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I killed a Helverin in one turn with my three haulers the one time I faced it.

I was probably just rolling poo poo.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Crap if GSC end up being not-poo poo then I'll have to paint my army...

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Have a snotty fella

(it was this weeks miniature from Conquest and I fancied painting a bit (a lot) of green)

Less close-upified

richyp fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 28, 2018

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Yes hello I’ll take a Patriarch and max Genestealer unit arriving immediately and assaulting guaranteed, thanks.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Sabatoge! is wonderful and precious.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Two more of those kids books have been anounced.

Genestealers seem wildly inappropriate for a kids book.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Whats cult ambush? Deep strike?

BrownieMinusEye
Apr 22, 2008

Oven Wrangler
For these sorts of official news and the leaks we are seeing for GSC, how long was it before the codex came out for other armies?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

For_Great_Justice posted:

Sabatoge! is wonderful and precious.

For a second I was very confused why you would want to do that, but then I realized it's because my only exposure to exploding upon death is my Deathguard, where it's a bonus.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Whats cult ambush? Deep strike?

It suffered a huge nerf after the removal of T1 reserves, to the point where GSC are basically unplayable right now.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Claws of Mumm-Ra

quote:

Lair of the Secret of NIMH

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

MonsterEnvy posted:

Two more of those kids books have been anounced.

Genestealers seem wildly inappropriate for a kids book.

They're arguably the most non-evil/sadistic faction, they just consume to survive at least. I don't think there's any faction/race they could put in a kids book without massively toning down the grimdark anyway.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

richyp posted:

Have a snotty fella

(it was this weeks miniature from Conquest and I fancied painting a bit (a lot) of green)

Less close-upified

Is that base made with Stirland Mud? Looks great!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

richyp posted:

They're arguably the most non-evil/sadistic faction, they just consume to survive at least.

That is the Tyranids themselves. The Genestealer Cults are pretty dang sadistic and evil.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
I’d have liked to see GSC getting the vect stratagem to go along with the deny auras one. Instead of armor or high toughness, they’d rely on subverting enemy strengths as a survival mechanic. Like xenomorph Vietcong.

I could see some ‘stealer cults being relatively benign and not that horrible. Like an Agri-world cult where there’s no real oversight or defense force, relatively few people and everyone’s in on it. Farm the crops, run the sausage machines, then go home to your horrible monster wife and slimy larvae children to watch some tv and relax.

Badablack fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 28, 2018

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Fake James posted:

Is that base made with Stirland Mud? Looks great!

Thanks, no it's not Stirland Mud (I do need to get some though), it's Astrogranite, painted Mournfang, drybrushed with Pallid Wych Flesh, Ushabti Bone and Ulthuan Grey. Then given the agrax treatment.

MonsterEnvy posted:

That is the Tyranids themselves. The Genestealer Cults are pretty dang sadistic and evil.

Just says Genestealer, I assumed they were going for a lone alien stalker (e.g. Alien knock off) vibe in which case it would be standard 'nid stealer.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

richyp posted:

Thanks, no it's not Stirland Mud (I do need to get some though), it's Astrogranite, painted Mournfang, drybrushed with Pallid Wych Flesh, Ushabti Bone and Ulthuan Grey. Then given the agrax treatment.

Just says Genestealer, I assumed they were going for a lone alien stalker (e.g. Alien knock off) vibe in which case it would be standard 'nid stealer.

True. Well the gameover for the kids is that they get Genestealer kissed and become hybrid parents.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

A book about a monster that seeks to rape and impregnate kids? Guess we all know who'll be slamming that buy button

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I mean, that Jokaero probably has things covered. He's got like five shots.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
It's a re-imagining of the Alien mechanic, but if anything the Genestealer lore is slightly less violent while being way creepier. I get that it's semi-acceptable in a Cronenberg-esque body horror way for an adult game with a massive scope of horrible monstrous stuff but in a kids book :yikes:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Sabotaged! is going to come in clutch so, so often. What a menace.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Deified Data posted:

Sabotaged! is going to come in clutch so, so often. What a menace.

It's going to make killing Knights so satisfying, here's hoping there's enough of a bump in weapons to make it possible at a range.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

PierreTheMime posted:

It's going to make killing Knights so satisfying, here's hoping there's enough of a bump in weapons to make it possible at a range.

I wonder how it'll work with thing that have variable explosion results.

Edit: Also completely neuters the revive a knight strategem. Nasty.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Does anyone else have a strat that cancels an aura?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Badablack posted:

I

I could see some ‘stealer cults being relatively benign and not that horrible. Like an Agri-world cult where there’s no real oversight or defense force, relatively few people and everyone’s in on it. Farm the crops, run the sausage machines, then go home to your horrible monster wife and slimy larvae children to watch some tv and relax.
LMAO love it.

I love GSC because I like to imagine Im a neophyte and my 4 armed god is the anticipation of rolling dice and playing with toys.

E- the insurgency aspect is when I dive back into the hobby after 20 years to the complete shock of my wife.

always be closing fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 29, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Please stop.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The dutiful cults that march lockstep into the digestive pools are well and good, but my favorite are the ones that hightail it the gently caress off-world once they complete their task because while worshiping the star gods is great, gently caress getting eaten by them. Time to find a new mining company looking to hire a few hundred weirdos and start this poo poo over again. It would be a fascinating existence.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Oh, that's exactly what makes GSC fascinating; Hell, even Chaos Cultists could be - It's that initially, it's beneficial to you, and it's perfectly reasonable. How many book clubs end up worshipping Tzeentch, or fight clubs turn into Khornate blood pits? GSC infiltration works canonically because it makes perfect sense the cult WOULD find it easy to settle in the average Imperial environment.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I really, really, really want to kickstart a Cult but with no easily available Battleforce and no Start Collecting I didn't really have anything to ask for for xmas that would make such a thing be not a pain in the rear end for the person buying them lol.

Hoping they announce a SC with the codex before the holidays.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Deified Data posted:

I really, really, really want to kickstart a Cult but with no easily available Battleforce and no Start Collecting I didn't really have anything to ask for for xmas that would make such a thing be not a pain in the rear end for the person buying them lol.

Hoping they announce a SC with the codex before the holidays.

Ask for Tooth and Claw and sell the Space Wolves to turn a decent profit toward more cultists?

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
I’d love if Genestealer Cults had offshoots that broke away from the Hive Mind to do their own thing, similar to the Farsight Enclaves. Unable to ally with and lacking the Tyranid keyword, but with a neat ability to make up for it. Like a Ymgarl cult faction.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Some Genestealers are driven to escape an oncoming Tyranid invasion purely for the purposes of restarting the cycle, but considering their semi-independence I’d bet there’s a bit of “selfish” desire to continue existing as well. I’m sure there are cultists that feel the same way, at least if they’re aware enough about their origin and that of the “Star Children” or whatever their cult calls them.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Genestealer cults have this narrative problem for me where they feel like a shaggy dog story - the end game is that Star Gods show up, eat the insurgents, and that's it pretty much every time. It's really just grimdark for the sake of grimdark.

If they lean into that aspect of the lore more or have a cult stalemating the nids after defeating the Imperium or something that would make them way more playable for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Am I a Bad Dad if I let my kids play Tau and Eldar when we do Dadhammer? Not sure why both boys went for the two most maligned ‘power’ armies, but oh well. I started them out with a box of Guardians plus Psykers and Fire Warriors plus Fireblade. Recently scored a nice deal on some second hand Eldar for one, and now I need to get more Tau for the younger brother. He would love some Kroot, Crisis, and Stealth Suits. Going to be scouring eBay and my FLGS, but if anyone is looking to get rid of their filthy Xenos let me know, and please give me a heads up if you plan to report me to CPS for allowing my son to like Tau.