Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Kevin Faulk is not a guy you want to get in a fight with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Niwrad posted:

Kevin Faulk is not a guy you want to get in a fight with.

That's why he punched the dude with Parkinson's first

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1067084019580526592

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Oh, thank God. The evil is gone to a place that no one cares about.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy shiiiiiiit

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Guaranteed his contract was up and ESPN figured out a drinking bird could do his job

Also lol at going to nowheresville

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
No more ESPN reporters getting news tips, and having Darren bully the editors for a spot on the byline because "it's a business story, and that's his beat".

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Part 1 of the Bois MMA thing is up. I have not watched it yet, as I am leaving for work, but thought some may appreciate the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oNB6tlSZ2A

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Part 1 of the Bois MMA thing is up. I have not watched it yet, as I am leaving for work, but thought some may appreciate the link

This is weird and good. And that's from someone who really isn't into MMA. Only minor gripe is I don't like whoever is doing the voice work.

Edit: I guess it's Felix Biederman from Chapo Trap House who does the narration.

Niwrad fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 26, 2018

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I read just enough of this to where I am...sort of sure it isn't a joke. For all their failings god bless deadspin for their chess coverage.

quote:

The World Champion had decided that he wanted to take his ball and go home, not even bothering to pretend that he was playing for a win in the final game of the World Championship, bailing his opponent out in a winning position with a huge advantage on the clock, in the belief that he would win the title in short-format tiebreaks.

Can you believe it? Can you honestly believe it? Deadspin readers, as you sit there shouting out loud, “I frankly cannot believe this!” while waving your arms about in disbelief like a maniac, just know that you’re not alone—the entire chess world can’t believe it either!

Maurice Ashley nearly fell down in shock. Former World Champion Vladimir Kramnik said that a draw offer like this is “simply not allowed” by a world champ, and that if he had ever done something similar he wouldn’t sleep for a month. Former Carlsen second Jon Ludvig Hammer reportedly called the draw offer “extremely cowardly.” Garry Kasparov called the offer “shocking” and thinks that Carlsen has lost his nerve. Dozens of other prominent chess people shared the sentiment with varying levels of diplomacy; many, many chess fans voiced their thoughts with no diplomacy at all.

e: added quote.

I wish I appreciated chess more than I do so I could feel this way.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 27, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I was hoping they would maybe shy away from showing gruesome leg breaks but obviously that was foolish of me.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1067439538765615104

lol

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Grittybeard posted:

I read just enough of this to where I am...sort of sure it isn't a joke. For all their failings god bless deadspin for their chess coverage.

e: added quote.

I wish I appreciated chess more than I do so I could feel this way.

The by line at the end is great

quote:

The shorter-format games will be far more entertaining and accessible to the average fan, so follow along this historic day anywhere you can. After the absolutely insane drama of the first 12 games we are definitely due a big finish. I can’t wait.

Ben is a Deadspin reader who likes chess.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Oh thank god. I was amazed at the actual talent forced out at ESPN while this hack was still there

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

DJExile posted:

Top marks to Advocate photographer Hillary Scheinuk for this photo of an A&M staffer who decided to throw a punch at Steve Kragthorpe and got his rear end handed to him by LSU staffer and former NFL RB Kevin Faulk.

https://twitter.com/hscheinukphoto/status/1066572002264268800?s=19

Not just some random A&M staffer, Jimbo's nephew.
https://www.wafb.com/2018/11/25/lsu-player-development-director-kevin-faulk-involved-fight-after-texas-am-game/

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah that was an amazing revelation later on.

there's mroe pictures from her here. CHeck out the size of Faulk's fist, holy hell

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Part 2 of 'Fighting In The Age of Lonliness' is up and man, that's a hell of a twist ending for this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkd6xumhVms

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

that is literally everyone telling that kid not to swing at Faulk, goddamn, lmao

E: Spencer Hall's breakdown of everyone involved in that picture is very good

DJExile fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 28, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I am aware that pretty much everybody on that field is wearing khakis, but a white kind in a polo shirt and khakis trying to fight a black dude whose hands are the size of his head is...it seems representational.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

I'm new to Jon Bois but am a big MMA fan. Enjoyed the production sensibilities of the first two episodes. However, when they go through the history of Jiu-Jitsu and such is there any reason why they seem to have just read wikipedia and not done any actual research? This is my first time seeing one of his works and I had heard good things about previous stuff.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

To be fair to Jon, the credits indicate he is "creative director" and did the video work while Felix did the writing and of course narration. So the research may not be anything Jon was directly involved in.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

To be fair to Jon, the credits indicate he is "creative director" and did the video work while Felix did the writing and of course narration. So the research may not be anything Jon was directly involved in.

Ah, I did overlook that. Thanks for the correction.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Coco13 posted:

Part 2 of 'Fighting In The Age of Lonliness' is up and man, that's a hell of a twist ending for this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkd6xumhVms

This bit from episode 3 is so good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxC39OVZ9fM&t=866s

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

DJExile posted:

that is literally everyone telling that kid not to swing at Faulk, goddamn, lmao

E: Spencer Hall's breakdown of everyone involved in that picture is very good

quote:

Faulk played every season of his NFL career for the New England Patriots, by the way. That is a rarity I now attribute to Faulk simply refusing to be cut. Starting in 2009, Bill Belichick probably informed Faulk annually that they were letting him go. Faulk replied with “nah” and the exact expression seen in that photo, and that was that. Faulk left the room still a Patriot, and Belichick just had to deal with that.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/1068235787068682245?s=19

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

that man could not look more dad if he fuckin tried holy poo poo

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SBNation is an utter dogshit company and as much as we rag on the Barstool people here, they're equally deserving. I don't understand why Bois gets so much love; he's a collaborator.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Timby posted:

SBNation is an utter dogshit company and as much as we rag on the Barstool people here, they're equally deserving. I don't understand why Bois gets so much love; he's a collaborator.

A company having poor labor practices is generally considered a problem with the people in charge, not its employees. I’m pretty sure Jon Bois isn’t someone with any sort of executive or even managerial role. On top of that, Barstool seems to exist solely for the purpose of normalizing racism and misogyny. SB Nation absolutely doesn’t.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Timby posted:

Henchman of Santa posted:

A company having poor labor practices is generally considered a problem with the people in charge, not its employees. I’m pretty sure Jon Bois isn’t someone with any sort of executive or even managerial role. On top of that, Barstool seems to exist solely for the purpose of normalizing racism and misogyny. SB Nation absolutely doesn’t.

Yeah, I think the argument against SBNation is that they should treat more of their content producers like they treat Bois. Being mad at Bois for that seems weird.

Also, while I don't support it, I at least can understand the stance of SBNation saying "If you don't think we compensate you enough, go somewhere else". Barstool's stance of attacking women online or apologizing for domestic abusers (and calling for their accusers to be jailed) is pretty far reasonable that I think it's pretty easy to separate them.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Bois is basically left to do his own thing, he's not a part of management there or anything.

Plus you can appreciate someone's work while not liking where the person works. That's not that much of a stretch.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Your bosses are lovely! You don't deserve to earn a living!!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

sb/vox seem to be the regular kind of banal corporate evil as opposed to barstool which, like, actively promotes a toxic corporate culture and racism and violent misogyny and blah blah blah blah blah

i won’t begrudge anyone for suckling at the corporate teat in order to be allowed to be creative for a living

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i DO find it funny that the entire fighting in the age of loneliness series features unskippable ads before felix biederman goes into a nihilistic anticapitalist spiel about the hopelessness and powerlessness that’s part and parcel of the modern age

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

i DO find it funny that the entire fighting in the age of loneliness series features unskippable ads before felix biederman goes into a nihilistic anticapitalist spiel about the hopelessness and powerlessness that’s part and parcel of the modern age

Yeah if anything the weird thing here is that a host of the most popular leftist podcast would work with Vox on something.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Timby posted:

Sports and sports media are inherently counter-revolutionary, guillotine them all, but especially me.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/931541633300131840?s=21

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
If Jon said he was going to quit unless they paid everyone fairly in 2 seconds they'd say "well, bye"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Powerful media personality Jon Bois

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine