Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Rated PG-34 posted:

I recall my old Brazilian boss doctor dude telling me one day about how all his old doctor schoolmates were now millionaires whereas he wasn’t and his parents were shaming him
knowing how egotistical the average doctor is, i imagine most brazilian doctors think the same way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

ZearothK posted:

You could say that, Brazil at one point peaked as the world's 5th biggest GDP, but then we had a recession and things have gone pretty poorly since.

remember when people used to talk about Brazil’s economic growth in the same breath as India and China

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

remember when people used to talk about Brazil’s economic growth in the same breath as India and China

BRICS

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The new foreign minister is a legit follower of Olavo de Carvalho...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/nov/15/brazil-foreign-minister-ernesto-araujo-climate-change-marxist-plot

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Soon they'll be talking about it in the same breath as the United States.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Soon they'll be talking about it in the same breath as the United States.

:discourse:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/TonyBelletier/status/1063666140654780416

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Twerking is destroying the Western Civilization! It's cultural marxism's greatest weapon!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/stephenkinzer/status/1064198925148655623?s=21

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

brazil's fiercely independent judiciary strikes again. also, say it with me, media: Marielle Franco was assassinated. not merely killed, not merely murdered, rear end-rear end-i-na-ted

more cabinet news: bolso's pick for agriculture minister is facing corruption charges, while petrobras will be led by a privatization advocate

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

many people are saying that a coalition of the willing should take out this mad tyrant

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/_michaelbrooks/status/1065670183807787010

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:rms:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Is it wrong that I disagree with this despite disliking Bolsanaro like everyone else in this thread?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is it wrong that I disagree with this despite disliking Bolsanaro like everyone else in this thread?

Why do you disagree with suing a company that hired conspiracy theorists to push a Soros conspiracy against facebook and has a track record of messing up elections?

Mundrial Mantis
Aug 15, 2017

Does anyone have any recommendations on groups that do good work in Brazil, particularly for indigenous peoples and the rainforest? What should I look for and be aware of? Charity Navigator has a few but I want to get insight from any Brazilgoons. I figure throwing some cash their way and doing what else I can is better than buying booze.

Please do not say that I might as well buy booze.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

If DSA or WWP or PSL or whatever left club y'all have does a defense fund for the Landless Workers Movement (MST, Movimento dos Trabalhadores Rurais sem Terra), it would be a good candidate.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kunster posted:

If DSA or WWP or PSL or whatever left club y'all have does a defense fund for the Landless Workers Movement (MST, Movimento dos Trabalhadores Rurais sem Terra), it would be a good candidate.

Thanks, I'm sure it'll be on the official terrorist list by next year.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Thanks, I'm sure it'll be on the official terrorist list by next year.

That's probably happening. They have been calling the MST terrorist for years and the new terror law on congress will definitely be used against them.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

nerdz posted:

Why do you disagree with suing a company that hired conspiracy theorists to push a Soros conspiracy against facebook and has a track record of messing up elections?

Facebook got treated with velvet gloves by the US why would Brazil do different? It won't have repercussions. I do wish that the class action against the Havan president for trying to force his workers to vote for Bolso goes through though.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Plutonis posted:

Facebook got treated with velvet gloves by the US why would Brazil do different? It won't have repercussions. I do wish that the class action against the Havan president for trying to force his workers to vote for Bolso goes through though.

I mean I know it won't do poo poo but why be against filling a lawsuit?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

nerdz posted:

Facebook directly hired the conspiracy theorists or they simply allowed them to post?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Facebook directly hired the conspiracy theorists or they simply allowed them to post?

directly hired

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/21/facebook-george-soros-zuckerberg-1012545

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Okay that's completely different then. My apologies.

nerdz posted:

I mean I know it won't do poo poo but why be against filling a lawsuit?

I was under the impression that it was another "sue Facebook over not censoring what their users are posting!" affair.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

I was under the impression that it was another "sue Facebook over not censoring what their users are posting!" affair.

you are right we should just allow the corporation that enables fascism all over the world to do whatever it pleases

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

babypolis posted:

you are right we should just allow the corporation that enables fascism all over the world to do whatever it pleases

If the censor radical right posts they will also censor "radical" left ones.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

they do that already tho sooo

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

A Typical Goon posted:

Not from what I've seen

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

doesnt have to be censorship. but if they cant come up with a solution they should be shut down

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A Typical Goon posted:

They do it far more blatantly and vague. They actually tested the waters for this and this is the result.

Mundrial Mantis
Aug 15, 2017

Kunster posted:

Thanks, MST sounds fascinating and in it for the long haul. And that is why they are going to be on a terrorist list soon. I'll see if I can find a local left group that does anything with them.

Amazon Watch is a more typical group I found through some casual searching and they seem alright at first glance.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/samhaselby/status/1067608438535061505

lol

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

Metal Cat has issued a correction as of 04:36 on Oct 8, 2021

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

that guy is the editor for the entire latin america department at ft and yeah its impressive how every single thing in that editorial is wrong

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
listen, if the fascists go too far our democratic institutions will stop them

:downs:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
someone post the historical political cartoon of tiny hitler being held back by a ball and chain labeled "democratic institutions" or whatever

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Metal Cat posted:

This loving op-ed lmao

The implication that AMLO wouldn't want to revert gutting of the public sector

The implication that referendums are bad when leftists do it

The idea that PSL is a minority despite it being the party that grew the most this year and now has the second largest representation in congress (and that every cronyist party won't object to approving his proposals)

The fact that the most aborrhent thing he can think of is AMLO not being as austere and pro-business as he wants

It's like every paragraph is fundamentally wrong, holy poo poo

I also like how he completely glossed over the fact bozo is gonna heavily escalate violence through overlooking of militias and police killings. Or even the fact that we actually went through a right-wing dictatorship and none of these institutions are strong and we don't have this "democratic culture" he seems to imagine

from the comments section:

quote:

JP Rathbone, FT FT5 hours ago
Thank you all for your comments, and welcome back to these pages @John Authers . I admit to having a waited for the inevitable storm to blow over. But the essence of the piece is simple, and seems worth repeating given some of the comments. 

Both Amlo and Bolsonaro were elected with a mandate to change the status quo. They come from opposite ends of the political spectrum. They also both recall an age of strong man who claim to embody the will of the people, a type it had once seemed that the region left behind. Given all this, it makes sense to ask -- even before assessing their personalities or policies, let alone their political positions -- which president faces more checks and balances on their exercise of executive power? 

The answer to that question seems pretty clear: Brazil has more checks on executive power than Mexico, in part because Amlo's coaltion has majorities in Congress, in part because power is more diffuse in Brazil, and in part because some key Brazilian insitutions are stronger than Mexico's (think: justice system, and the prosecution of the Lava Jato corruption probe, versus Mexico's near inaction over Odebrecht).  This is not a judgement on either president or country, simply an empiricial observation.

How each president operates within his country's checks and balances remains to be seen. If only out of need and political exigency (who knows? we may soon), Bolsonaro has so far proven more flexible and pragmatic. As to Mexico, it may well be that to make the country more just, Amlo does need to centralise power to improve coordination. But centralised power with few checks and balances is always and everywhere a risky place to be.

Doubtless both presidents will make mistakes. Whatever the case, one wishes them well for the sake of these two marvellous countries and their peoples. Both deserve to be in a better place than they are now. 

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

Metal Cat has issued a correction as of 04:34 on Oct 8, 2021

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Getting all the generals and Colonels high up in my party to own the libs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

This having being painted over pretty much immediately plus all the loving american lettuce memes is cracking me up, hope we don't go to DOPS for facebook posts a few years from now