Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Dewgy posted:

As a definite video game gorehound, I have to give some serious props for RDR2's assorted systems of violence. The game can get really brutal at times, but it doesn't do it constantly, meaning those rare moments where someone gets completely ripped to shreds have so much more impact.

Two that stood out. One: Shotguns loving melt people. :stonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgDvAp5LHy8

Two: Lethal shots, as in "you get a red X hit marker" aren't always instantly lethal. :stonkhat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zio1iFDK_Zg

I really, really, really hope there's a Manhunt 3 in the works after this. :commissar:

Wait til you see someone get mauled by a grizzly bear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

GelatinSkeleton posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NlfPSj0m1w

I made myself a poo poo when this happened.

Push El Burrito has a new favorite as of 22:40 on Nov 28, 2018

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I was just watching the latest two episodes of South Park and opening this thread to see a post about South Park being unfunny followed by a post about Red Dead Redemption 2 is great.

Everyone's playing RDR2 while global warming/manbearpig is killing people in town.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Push El Burrito posted:

Haven't we all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7X-7l-CnRg

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Push El Burrito posted:

Ah, you found the secret alternate ending to The Revenant

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

GelatinSkeleton posted:

Oh I've seen it. Also fed a dude to his own pigs, which was pretty rad. :buddy:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Since apparently it's impossible to post in the other thread because that means you hate everything about a game.

I like in Breath of the Wild how it just drops you in the world. You get all your tools at the beginning and can choose to follow the dots to kakariko or just gently caress off in a different direction.

Also while it so far hasn't been used in any meaningful way I can go anywhere. It doesn't do what Horizon or God of War did and let you only climb specific spots you can pick a cliff and go.

Unless it's raining because gently caress you

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Internet Wizard posted:

The entire story of Andromeda’s development is mostly the dev team trying their best to desperately put together a game while the leadership dicked around and refused to make decisions on stuff. The script wasn’t even written until like 18 months before release which is why they ended up outsourcing so many of the cutscenes to have the animations just procedurally generated. They didn’t have time to animate most of the game.

There's also the whole way they were stuck using the Frostbite engine, which wasn't designed to do anything that they actually needed a game engine to be able to do.

TontoCorazon posted:

The fact that people can bleed out from certain wounds is pretty insane. I remember shooting somebody in the neck and he didn't die immediately but bled out on the floor.

It also figures into the hunting as well. You can wound animals in such a way that they'll just eventually die or sometimes they don't die and just lie there in pain while you have to put them out of their misery.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Yeah, it's important to learn to give your hunting target a moment or two if you shoot'em in the head and nothing seems to happen. Just gotta let'em stumble a bit and fall on their own terms :ohdear:.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
The hunting recommended weapon chart in RDR2 is pretty impressive

Then you learn that that's all stupid batshit insane crazy talk and it's just Small Game Arrow for Small things, Varmint Rifle for Varmint, Improved Arrow for Big Stuff :effort:
Seriously you can kill a grizzly bear by shooting it in the butt with one or two Improved Arrows

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

muscles like this! posted:

It also figures into the hunting as well. You can wound animals in such a way that they'll just eventually die or sometimes they don't die and just lie there in pain while you have to put them out of their misery.

Watching a bison scream in agony while twisting about on the ground from a maiming shot is very :gonk:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Len posted:

Also while it so far hasn't been used in any meaningful way I can go anywhere. It doesn't do what Horizon or God of War did and let you only climb specific spots you can pick a cliff and go.

Unless it's raining because gently caress you

If you light a campfire you can skip time to end the rain. As the kind of weirdo who enjoys when games naturally push players to pay attention to their environment and react realistically I actually liked it, looking for a tree or overhang to set up a campfire under was kind of fun and I don't remember ever being unable to find a spot when I wanted one.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Snake Maze posted:

If you light a campfire you can skip time to end the rain. As the kind of weirdo who enjoys when games naturally push players to pay attention to their environment and react realistically I actually liked it, looking for a tree or overhang to set up a campfire under was kind of fun and I don't remember ever being unable to find a spot when I wanted one.

The first time I forgot to remove my metal shield in a storm was fun. "Goblins have orbital cannons now? Interesting."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

10 Beers posted:

The first time I forgot to remove my metal shield in a storm was fun. "Goblins have orbital cannons now? Interesting."

What makes it so good, is the rules apply to everyone, so if something with a metal sword comes at you in a thunderstorm, all you gotta do is wait.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Even better. Equip big metal two hander in lightning storm. Run towards group of enemies. Throw big metal two hander (or anything metal, really) at enemies.

Watch them go boom

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Can't you also trigger lightning strikes with the lightning arrows during a thunderstorm, or am I misremebering how many things trigger lightning during a storm?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I shot a blue wizzrobe with a fire arrow because he'd murdered me three times and instead of just catching fire it went away for ever.

gently caress you.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

In the Spyro remakes, I’m really glad they made Sparx’s treasure locator ability baseline in all games. I think that was something you had to unlock in some of the games (and I don’t think it was in Spyro 1 at all), but I might be misremembering. Either way, it’s great for me because I feel the need to collect EVERY LAST GEM, and this way I don’t have to scour the entire level three times trying to find a single red gem hidden in some tall grass.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I wanted to say that while I can understand someone not liking a weapon breaking mechanic on principle, I really like it in BOTW.

The game is much more about "playing around" than for example Skyrim. I like Skyrim a lot. But it's just spreadsheets. You have little reason to use anything but the currently best weapon. There's durability but you can ignore it most of the time. That leads to people complaining hitting the sweet spot and game stopping being a challenge. BOTW went the other way, and introduced this constantly chaning situation where sometimes you finish goblins off with a ladle, or a mop. It's a gameplay mechanic that was clearly intended to make things like combat something kinda fresh every time.

That's why I'm telling people not cool with it to not bother with BOTW, because the whole game's designed like that. I really appreciate that it gamified a lot of otherwise mundane stuff that's in every RPG. You don't have to go to blacksmith every X minutes because ur bar is low, you're out there and you gotta go deeper to find something to defend yourself with.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've just started playing through Lufia: The Fortress of Doom cause I felt like an old RPG that I hadn't played yet. I quite like the characters, like that Lufia introduces herself offering a game of tag with the main character and remains headstrong throughout. Also the gag that the character who organises the knights in the hometown most effectively is not the King, and not the Sargent, both of whom are useless idiots, but the Princess. She gets poo poo done. :3: Just arrived at Treck.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Once you've played Lufia, definitely give Lufia II a shot. It's a good mix of standard RPG battles and Zelda-adjacent dungeon puzzles, plus it has a cool roguelike minigame built into it that you can easily spend more time on than the core game itself if that's your kind of thing. (If not, it's completely optional so you can just ignore it)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've heard one of them is considered "The bad one". which is that, and is it actually that bad?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The DS one, probably, which is a bad action-RPG remake of 2 so it's completely ignorable.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I think there's a GBC one that's generally just kind of forgettable except for the bits with Dekar.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

BioEnchanted posted:

I've heard one of them is considered "The bad one". which is that, and is it actually that bad?

I usually see the original Lufia called the bad one in most conversations because of how poorly it compares to the sequel. I don't see anyone ever talk about games besides those two because they are apparently unworthy of notice.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Len posted:

I shot a blue wizzrobe with a fire arrow because he'd murdered me three times and instead of just catching fire it went away for ever.

gently caress you.

If you hit elemental enemies with their weakness, they just suffer critical existence failure.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you hit elemental enemies with their weakness, they just suffer critical existence failure.

Yep that was a genuinely neat thing to come across. I figured he was gonna catch fire and just get weak or something. But nah just straight up murdered

:black101:

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Zinkraptor posted:

In the Spyro remakes, I’m really glad they made Sparx’s treasure locator ability baseline in all games. I think that was something you had to unlock in some of the games (and I don’t think it was in Spyro 1 at all), but I might be misremembering. Either way, it’s great for me because I feel the need to collect EVERY LAST GEM, and this way I don’t have to scour the entire level three times trying to find a single red gem hidden in some tall grass.

Yes, this is so good! It’s also really helpful cause Sparx seems to miss picking up gems on stairs or if you’re moving too fast so there were plenty of times I would have 399 gems and the last one would be in a place I knew I had covered already and he just saved me 15 minutes of aimless running around.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I genuinely like the first Lufia better than the second, and the GBC one is pretty neat. The GBA is a hot dumpster fire that has the Lufia name slapped on for some reason.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

BioEnchanted posted:

i just blitzed through Lufia 1 last month and it sucked. just enjoyable enough to stick with it but in general a slog.

Lufia 2 is better in basically every way.

You should drop Fortress of Doom now and hop straight to Rise of the Sinistrals! Nothing of importance will be lost!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
When you get around to Lufia 2, play it with these patches. It's probably my favorite RPG of all time, but it has some obnoxious bugs and text errors that detract from the experience.

There's also this possibly better patch, but I haven't used it and can't personally vouch for it. It sounds like it might be one of those patches that overreaches/adds cool swears.

Blood Sally posted:

You should drop Fortress of Doom now and hop straight to Rise of the Sinistrals! Nothing of importance will be lost!

Don't listen to this guy! If you're enjoying Lufia 1 now, you'll still be enjoying it later, and the ending is really something special.

But yes, Lufia 2 is absolutely a better game in every possible way.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 08:01 on Nov 30, 2018

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Lufia 1 has a rockin boss fight theme, cool giant boss sprites, and really satisfying SFX in battles

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Black August posted:

Lufia 1 has a rockin boss fight theme, cool giant boss sprites, and really satisfying SFX in battles

I, too, have my most satisfying sex during battles.

edit: oh...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In FF13 there is very little to do that isnt combat and as such character models dont really do much when not fighting. Despite this, every one of the six characters has a unique animation for interacting with the one interactable lever in the game despite the fact most players will never ever see it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

In FF13 there is very little to do that isnt combat and as such character models dont really do much when not fighting. Despite this, every one of the six characters has a unique animation for interacting with the one interactable lever in the game despite the fact most players will never ever see it.

I hope some of them are gratuitously overanimated, like one of your characters does a huge run up, jumps in the air, flips, and then karate-chops the lever.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I hope some of them are gratuitously overanimated, like one of your characters does a huge run up, jumps in the air, flips, and then karate-chops the lever.

Mac from Always Sunny would've livened that cast up.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
RDR2 is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdrEkcl4MGE

Not if you're a horse tho

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

:ohdear:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Rollersnake posted:

and the ending is really something special.

i finished it last month and have already forgotten the ending. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I remember Lufia being generic as hell. In fact, the only thing I remember about it was the intolerable plot, which consisted almost entirely of fetch quests. Always
"Oh we can do this, but first we need A."
"Oh, we have A but won't give it to you until we get B."
"B is buried within the mine! To get to it, you'll need C."

I beat it, but absolutely would not recommend it.