Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Oh, seems like a hassle to wait that long to deal with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I just couldn't find him in the wild and eventually a timer popped and the mission changed.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I just don't know how you even get to the hosed up zero G arboretum with him still active. Like don't you have to deal with the military operator situation before Alex comes out of hiding and triggers that event?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
His only threat was cutting off the oxygen to Cargo B, and I just L4 hacked the operator to squash that quest.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Basically if you deal with KASPAR first, then Dahl heads straight to Alex in the Arboretum.

You can kill or stun him there, but after triggering that story bit in 0G, there's occasionally awkward glitches with dragging him over to the medbay. Basically not much to do other than quicksaving as soon as 0G happens and then trying to save everyone. There's a comms message for each of the people you save, so you know whether you got it or not. The medbay is just really finicky for some reason.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
So I quit for a few hours, loaded back in and ran around for like 5 minutes before moving on. Weirdest thing was that the "Save Dahl" quest markers vanished this time around, so I chalked it up the quest being so loving broken that flipping the quest tracker as active/inactive was just gone. Stepped into the elevator and... quest worked.

Steam and Gamefaqs forums weren't kidding. Just keep reloading until it works (or just hunt him down first).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah I suffered through that poo poo too, it was frustrating but eventually it just works. Super buggy

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Necroing the thread. Just finished the game for the first time today (combat-reflexes run, only typhoon mod mimic 1) and it was amazing. Started Reading about the jumpscare, and started a new game plus. I finally found the jumpscare. It is glorious, was drunk in an empty house. Touch screens really are a bitch to calibrate.

Also I loved the ending. Talk about a misused trope this game show how exactly you weave it into a storyline.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I should get the dlc and play it. I miss not having more time at home. *Blows dust off desktop*.

It's worth a replay too. Many of them.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I’m contemplating making some sort of Oblique Strategems deck for self-imposed restrictions on Mooncrash, because it needs em.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mooncrash is fantastic from start to finish and I may have actually enjoyed it more than the original game (which I also enjoyed a lot) but it would have been cool to have a challenge mode where all good and bad things are unlocked and the goal is to complete as many random objectives and escape with as many characters as possible before the simulation crashes with a score given at the end.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I'd agree that the only thing really holding Mooncrash back from something like perfection is the rigidity of the win states. It could really use more of the randomization / scavenger hunt elements like finding the shuttle piloting neuromod or the Director's favorite corpse. The former is kind of dumb in that it's something that persists in having been completed even when you reset the sim.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Anyway, I've developed a system.

quote:

Chunnel's Marvelous Mooncrash Method

The object of this Method is to generate self-imposed tactical restrictions in Prey's roguelite expansion, Mooncrash.

The way it works: You take a deck of cards, shuffle it and draw until you break 21. Once you've broken 21, look at your assembled hand. Impose the restrictions of the numbers you drew PLUS the suits you drew. If you have multiples, use the next restriction down. Or don't, nobody's keeping score. Whether you use the restrictions for each character or draw a new hand with each death is on you.

Suits:
Clubs- Cannot use the mule operator.
Spades- Cannot build delay objects
Diamonds- Cannot build neuromods
Hearts- Must use delay objects immediately upon acquiring them.

Cards:
Ace- Subsistence Mode (basic equipment only at start)
2- Can only jump-mount gloo (if you can land straight on a surface, that's fine)
3- Must use trauma healing objects immediately upon acquiring them (in other words, if you get hurt, build the thing or start looking)
4- Cannot use chips.
5- Can only use stungun / EMP to pass barriers
6- Can only use control modules to restore primary power (does not apply to Director's mission)
7- Moon Sharks are sacred to you and you cannot harm them.
8- Can only use ordinary (white) weapons.
9- Can only use guns against flying typhon out of melee range (applies to cystoid and tentacle nests).
10- Must use medkits and hypos immediately on acquring them.
Jack- Cannot drop anything (can only use, consume or recycle to free inventory space)
Queen- Can only carry one stack of ammo (or 300x of battery / cell) and 2 of any grenade
King- Cannot use direct harm mind powers or bullet time (*jack / summoning / defensive powers ok)

If you draw an ace and a face card, reset the simulation.

On my first use of the Method I got:
No building neuromods
No mule operator
Must use delay objects immediately
Can only jump-mount gloo
Cannot restore trams
Cannot hurt moon sharks
Can only use standard weapons

So I’m going to die

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 25, 2018

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Also here's an online card deck in case you don't have one on account of having no friends: https://www.random.org/playing-cards/

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

That's a pretty cool idea, although I'd probably replace 2 (no mantling) with no ARTX or similar; mantling is so core to the movement in this game that removing it sounds more frustrating than challenging (and hard to enforce reliably).

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Yeah that’s what I’ve been finding. No ARTX would work except it’s not something you can drop and it’s as ingrained into movement as mounting.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

Yeah that’s what I’ve been finding. No ARTX would work except it’s not something you can drop and it’s as ingrained into movement as mounting.

You can decline to pick it up, though, and while it's been a while since I played, IIRC only one of the characters starts with it. No ARTX if you don't start with it?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I’m usually such a junk vacuum that I tend to pick them up from containers even when I already have one.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Maybe invert it. Make 2 "no goo except in combat", i.e. you can use it to immobilize enemies but not to create barriers or platforms.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I suppose it could work as a “no environmental hazard mitigation” restriction, but the list of things in Mooncrash you can’t get to without glooing is pretty short and as a combat tool it’s inferior to the stun gun.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Prophunt when

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Finally started this game a bit ago and I'm loving it. I brazenly chose Hard Mode and have been putting way too many neuromods into hacking and sneaking vs. health and damage, but because of that combat with any nonstandard enemy is very tense and it really feels like I have to plan out encounters before engaging. The really big enemies are still giving me heaps of trouble but the game is generous with ammo and resource healing so it's all good.

I love mimics but their older brothers are rude.

Also, today I wandered into a room and got lifted into the air and murdered by chairs. 10/10

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I'm playing the base game for the first time, poo poo is good. Although I feel like there shouldn't have been any people still alive, that you interact with for that true System Shock feeling. I'm currently in the cargo bay.

I like that you can explore some areas ahead of the story, though I'm becoming more and more reluctant to do so as I'm nearing the end.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

Mooncrash is fantastic from start to finish and I may have actually enjoyed it more than the original game (which I also enjoyed a lot) but it would have been cool to have a challenge mode where all good and bad things are unlocked and the goal is to complete as many random objectives and escape with as many characters as possible before the simulation crashes with a score given at the end.

I liked Mooncrash a lot but it's story was kinda all over the place. Especially the way they turned your main game brother from a guy trying to handle a big mess left by his parents and yourself, into an overt villain. I think his VA was different, too? Or at least he sounded a lot different.

But a lot of gameplay stuff was really interesting.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I'm playing the base game for the first time, poo poo is good. Although I feel like there shouldn't have been any people still alive, that you interact with for that true System Shock feeling. I'm currently in the cargo bay.

I like that you can explore some areas ahead of the story, though I'm becoming more and more reluctant to do so as I'm nearing the end.

Thats a valid point. I think some of the characters are way too good to be left out like Alex and the Cook.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
I personally liked that there were still people alive- at first the game teased you whether there are or not and they do provide a massive change in tone once you meet the survivors.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
How was Alex a villain? He wasn’t the one who cooked The Director.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
yeah if anything Morgan was the real villain. Alex was just going along with your wishes from the start

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The whole yu family are villains

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I liked that there were survivors, and the only reason System Shock never had survivors was that kind of poo poo was still cutting edge back then. If they were commonplace in the FPS genre by that point then I guarantee you System Shock 2 would have had NPCs who become enemies as the game progresses

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

To be fair I haven't finished it yet but I felt very uneasy at the start of the game. Meeting survivors meant I could feel safe, which felt off somehow. I do appreciate that Arkane wanted to put their own spin on things and it does make for a change in tone.

I have a side quest to find a guy who's ID thing I reactivated. He's somewhere outside the station but I can't seem to activate his ID from a security terminal. Is there something I'm missing?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
My memory's hazy, but wasn't Diego slowly getting Manyfied throughout SS2 and trying to fight it? If that was in NuPrey, it'd be a choice between learning something about the Typhon's weaknesses and killing him, or not learning that and saving him from Typhonication.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Diego was hard as gently caress.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

In Prey by the time that you find survivors you should already feel safe basically 100% of the time because you have become a living god

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Bogart posted:

My memory's hazy, but wasn't Diego slowly getting Manyfied throughout SS2 and trying to fight it? If that was in NuPrey, it'd be a choice between learning something about the Typhon's weaknesses and killing him, or not learning that and saving him from Typhonication.

Yeah. Then at the end he'd had a surgical robot rip the Many out of him, the only case of anyone breaking free of the Many at all that I can remember. He was tough, and I appreciated how that strength was shown with him being brazen and foolish at other times. Voiced by Stephen Russell of Thief fame.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I could use alternative suggestions for the GLOO / ARTX and “one stack of ammo” restrictions for Ricky Jay’s Mooncrash Method

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

QuarkJets posted:

In Prey by the time that you find survivors you should already feel safe basically 100% of the time because you have become a living god

a few of my friends managed to play through the entire game without taking any offensive mimic powers OR bullet time OR maxed out weapon upgrades and they thought the combat was way too hard and its just like ?????

i like that you can decide exactly how much of a living god you want to be, provided you dont sidestep every single avenue that makes you good at killing poo poo.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

I could use alternative suggestions for the GLOO / ARTX and “one stack of ammo” restrictions for Ricky Jay’s Mooncrash Method

must kill, disable or otherwise render harmless any typhon that spot you. (trapping them in a locked room is fine)
may not kill typhon
must immediately drink any alcohol you find
no consuming food or drink

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Nice! Disable / render harmless would be good, "don't kill typhon" seems obvious but I try as much as possible to keep them from contradicting one another, as I fear that one might.

Anyway I've playtested the Method for a few days and it's quite good if I say so myself! Late game power curve is always tough to counter but challenge can still be squeezed out of it.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
For any one that bought the Mooncrash DLC Arkane Studios is releasing a new PvP mode called Typhon Hunter on Dec 11th. Its a One person vs 5 mimcs mode that looks pretty fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLucCtAxTXE