Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

RDM is my main because it's my favourite FF Job, but the added bonus of it being easy to play has been really nice for the way I've generally played this game in bursts. Before I was BLM and coming back after a long hiatus to a bunch of new dungeons was a thing.

Heck, even coming back to the two new exdr and Alphascape was kinda tough as RDM because I didn't really get any explanations when I said I was new to the fights. Doing them as BLM would have been hell. I still don't even know what the heck was happening in O11N.

I honestly really like that on top of being relatively simple, RDM is a bit more reactive then other jobs. I've been levelling up BRD and while I kind of like it, maintaining my dots is driving me crazy. Monk positionals are tough to keep up with / remember, SAM felt manageable until 60-70 when my bars just exploded with all the kenki stuff. I got NIN to 50 and the Murdra stuff was actually more fun/engaging then I expected, but I'm sure I'll feel differently about the class after another 20 levels of skills though.

Also, I feel bad I can take a full load of role abilities now but I'm barely touching the things. It feels like I just have too many, and not enough keybinds or presence of mind to use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
If I ever see a RDM unironically cast Vercure in a regular duty, they lose any chance they had at getting a comm from me.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Choyi posted:

If I ever see a RDM unironically cast Vercure in a regular duty, they lose any chance they had at getting a comm from me.

Good thing every heal I cast is ironic, especially when I'm playing healer.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i’ve been gradually leveling a healer on the side but have never had to heal beyond say copperbell just due to the nature of leveling queues and playing with friends

last night after a lousy day i once again queued with my healer and got aurum vale with a new tank

after that i tried to wash it down with a chill trial roulette and we almost wiped to ifrit hard...............

i don’t think i’m cut out to be a healer :negative:

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Choyi posted:

Eh, sometime you gotta prep dualcast and there's no enemies in sight

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mango Polo posted:

O commends

Had an o11n run last week where I had to double rez both healers twice, mana shifted on CD, and was still top dps.

0 commends.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Thundarr posted:

Had an o11n run last week where I had to double rez both healers twice, mana shifted on CD, and was still top dps.

0 commends.

that means your glamour sucks

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Ibblebibble posted:

:same:

The other day I was tanking, and the healer let me die because he wasn't paying attention and was just spamming stone. He apologized so I said, if you had ANY idea how many times I've done the same thing you wouldn't feel bad at all.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Those are the only heals you should ever cast as a healer. After all its GCD that could have been better spent on stone/broil/malefic.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Last week I healed a DRK wearing unaugmented Shire gear in loving Castrum Abania. Playing healers is suffering

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Renegret posted:

that means your glamour sucks

How dare they not appreciate my full crimson LotA set!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
You can qualify for Castrum Abania in Shire gear?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I don't think any of the story dungeons have an ilevel requirement.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Xyven posted:

Last week I healed a DRK wearing unaugmented Shire gear in loving Castrum Abania. Playing healers is suffering

dealing with inferno's tankbuster must have been a nightmare

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

hey here's a dumb question about minor optimizations:

what's the best ability to use for opening pull on a boss as DRK? unmend? plunge? DA plunge?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kaubocks posted:

what's the best ability to use for opening pull on a boss as DRK? unmend? plunge? DA plunge?

Dark Arts Plunge, gives you an enmity lead.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Kaubocks posted:

I prefer Unmend as it lets me position the boss easier. I don't usually DA Plunge.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

iirc you pull with unmend so you can fit DA-plunge into a later ogcd window

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Leal posted:

RDM is the perfect "My FC capped 1 hour into reset and I have to play with pubs" class. Bad party members who can't stay alive? They get a rez thrown on them within half a second cause I saw it coming. Vulnerability stacks cause they can't not get hit by stuff? Apocatastasis. Healer bad and died? Rezed and a mana shift to get them back in the game. Everyone bad and getting vuln stacks? Addle. Healer bad with throwing heals? Vercure. Tank got like 5 stacks of poison? Erase.

And looking god drat fly while I carry the party.

Same:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Saint Freak posted:

I don't think any of the story dungeons have an ilevel requirement.

They do not.

And they should.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I finally played Summoner some more while doing the 65 job quest (since I've been leveling as Scholar because it's way faster and I collected a bunch of healing gear while going through the MSQ on my Ninja), and I really like the visuals when I'm blasting stuff with the upgraded Ruins. Makes me feel like a badass. I find managing Dreadwyrm Trance to be fairly straight-forward too, though obviously I don't have access to the Bahamut mechanic yet. Speaking of the job quest, the 65 one was surprisingly tough. Took a long time to kill that guy (I actually failed the first time because I was using Titan; apparently I needed Ifrit/Garuda for the DPS).

I feel like I might just enjoy casting DPS more than melee DPS. The rotations aren't necessarily less complex, but they involve fewer buttons that you don't generally need to hit quite as fast.

edit: Unrelated, but it was funny finding out that "weaving" is apparently just "using oGCD skills between GCD ones" which is this really simple thing I thought everyone did. Why have some special term for it?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 28, 2018

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Because "weaving" is one word.

It's only fitting for a game that uses "enmity" instead of "threat."

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Ytlaya posted:

which is this really simple thing I thought everyone did

Oh boy you should run a parser of some kind and and then weep forever.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
It means different things in different MMOs and can be really complicated in some. Weaving in Aion for example involved animation canceling your auto attacks in between buttons such that you would still get the damage but there'd be no delay between your skills.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Ytlaya posted:

So I finally played Summoner some more while doing the 65 job quest (since I've been leveling as Scholar because it's way faster and I collected a bunch of healing gear while going through the MSQ on my Ninja), and I really like the visuals when I'm blasting stuff with the upgraded Ruins. Makes me feel like a badass. I find managing Dreadwyrm Trance to be fairly straight-forward too, though obviously I don't have access to the Bahamut mechanic yet. Speaking of the job quest, the 65 one was surprisingly tough. Took a long time to kill that guy (I actually failed the first time because I was using Titan; apparently I needed Ifrit/Garuda for the DPS).

I feel like I might just enjoy casting DPS more than melee DPS. The rotations aren't necessarily less complex, but they involve fewer buttons that you don't generally need to hit quite as fast.

edit: Unrelated, but it was funny finding out that "weaving" is apparently just "using oGCD skills between GCD ones" which is this really simple thing I thought everyone did. Why have some special term for it?

70 SMN is fun because you get Demi-Bahamut but with the downside of everything getting really complicated if you want to play absolutely optimally. It's just weird going from 50 where it's basically just watch your DOT timers and it's entirely brainless to 60 where you're slightly more carefully timing burn phases and stuff but it's still pretty simple to 70 where you're pacing out cooldowns across a 3 minute rotation, timing out dots and cooldowns to line up for optimal DPS and using Addle as an oGCD damage spell which is still my favorite dumb consequence of the way Bahamut works.

Glagha fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 28, 2018

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

:emptyquote:

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Saint Freak posted:

Do this but instead feel really great about yourself, because you're undoubtedly better than 80% of people already.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Glagha posted:

70 SMN is fun because you get Demi-Bahamut but with the downside of everything getting really complicated if you want to play absolutely optimally. It's just weird going from 50 where it's basically just watch your DOT timers and it's entirely brainless to 60 where you're slightly more carefully timing burn phases and stuff but it's still pretty simple to 70 where you're pacing out cooldowns across a 3 minute rotation, timing out dots and cooldowns to line up for optimal DPS and using Addle as an oGCD damage spell which is still my favorite dumb consequence of the way Bahamut works.

I don't think you actually use Addle to proc Wyrmwave anymore, if the guides I've been reading are anything to go on (because there's no way I'm not 100% maining SMN now that I have a glam for it that makes me happy).

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Ytlaya posted:

Wait, I thought it was a crafter class.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Cabbit posted:

I don't think you actually use Addle to proc Wyrmwave anymore, if the guides I've been reading are anything to go on (because there's no way I'm not 100% maining SMN now that I have a glam for it that makes me happy).

I don't think it's a matter of you can't so much as you shouldn't, because Addle is really good for reducing an enemy's magic damage and wasting it on a 150 potency attack is incredibly dumb, especially in a coordinated setting.

That's my theory on why it's not in guides anymore, at any rate.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I finally got around to getting some screenshots of my BRD and MNK glams, which I was missing from my convenient screens to pull out.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Kaubocks posted:

i’ve been gradually leveling a healer on the side but have never had to heal beyond say copperbell just due to the nature of leveling queues and playing with friends

last night after a lousy day i once again queued with my healer and got aurum vale with a new tank

after that i tried to wash it down with a chill trial roulette and we almost wiped to ifrit hard...............

i don’t think i’m cut out to be a healer :negative:

If you want to have a(n even more) bleak opinion of humanity, level healer from start to 70 purely on Duty Finder Roulettes.

I've... seen some things...

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
It's not my job to use defensive cooldowns, its the healer's job to keep my health up

defensive cooldowns are to be ONLY used for looking cool during phase transitions

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

defensive cooldowns are to be ONLY used for looking cool during phase transitions

don't dox me

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

MechaX posted:

If you want to have a(n even more) bleak opinion of humanity, level healer from start to 70 purely on Duty Finder Roulettes.

I've... seen some things...

:shepface::respek::shepface:

Xyven posted:

Having run it while grinding out SCH 69 (nice), Castrum Abania adds no small amount of suffering. I'd had to pay a bit of attention while running Doma Castle, but I managed it fairly. Then Abania comes up and I'm wiping to single trash pulls and ending other encounters with 0 aetherflow, 0 mana, and a dead DPS.

I did 1.5 (I crashed after the first wipe to the three-elements guy) Abania runs before deciding that I'd just finish up by coasting through a Doma Castle run and save myself some sorrow.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I don't think it's a matter of you can't so much as you shouldn't, because Addle is really good for reducing an enemy's magic damage and wasting it on a 150 potency attack is incredibly dumb, especially in a coordinated setting.

That's my theory on why it's not in guides anymore, at any rate.

In O8S with a little bit of effort you could line up all your Addles to both happen during Bahamut phases and apply during LoJ casts. It's little things like this that reassure me that SE actually cares about fight design.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

jalapeno_dude posted:

In O8S with a little bit of effort you could line up all your Addles to both happen during Bahamut phases and apply during LoJ casts. It's little things like this that reassure me that SE actually cares about fight design.

Then you remember Suzaku EX exists which just goes gently caress YOU to all possible openers for everyone by having the boss jump away at the loving 15 second mark.

Masey
Aug 22, 2006
Pancakes.
I haven't played since early HW and I'm super lazy when is the next 8 man raid patch?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Masey posted:

I haven't played since early HW and I'm super lazy when is the next 8 man raid patch?
About 8 months from now I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Masey posted:

Couple weeks after the next expansion comes out, probably