Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

FAUXTON posted:

Borrowing For Canines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Nocheez posted:

I think it's cathartic to talk about the BWM things we've done ourselves. It's just that no one wants to hear humblebrags or about how GWM they are itt.

Agreed. Telling people all the poo poo you've done right doesn't actually help anyone. Otherwise we'd all have bespoked 401k plans started at age 21. No one is ever going to take your good advice.

Telling people all the terrible financial mistakes we've made like we're sitting around a campfire telling ghost stories...that sticks with you.

"and dangling from the door handle was a hook new timeshare!"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
we should deffo make it asymmetrical

eat a probe for humblebragging, nothing for telling selfowns and bwm stories

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

bob dobbs is dead posted:

eat a probe for humblebragging, nothing for telling selfowns, and bwm stories

That would be a pretty weird BFC forum name.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Bitcoins furries and cammers

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Bitcoins furries and cammers

I though A/T already had a name.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I'm gonna be a stick in the mud and say change it back to the normal name. Naming it some jokey thing means no one knows what the forum is. I've seen multiple people from other forums have no idea this place existed because it had a weird name for a year. That and it's under Ask/Tell, a forum with half of the viewers this one has.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Also cammers make good money and furries inexplicably have tons of cash for fursuits and commissioning deeply disturbing artwork. They don't really apply here unless they're pulling out truck equity or using student loans to pay for that stuff.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

using student loans to pay for that stuff.

Someone braver than me should should hunt up fur suits paid for with student loans on reddit.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Sometimes new ones just feel classic.
Drowning in debt
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a153ii/drowning_in_debt/

quote:

Hey guys,

Through poor financial planning and bad decision making my fiancee and I have found ourselves in a pretty big mess and are becoming overwhelmed. I'm looking for advice on how to proceed in order to reduce our monthly payments to a manageable amount and be debt free (minus mortgage) within 10 years. Our current monthly payments are as follows:

Debt

Truck: $850 (5 years remaining)
Mortgage: $1022
Loan: $1252 ( $51,848 @ %10.99 4.5 years remaining)
Fiancee credit card: $180 (about $12,000)
Line of credit: $250 ($5000 balance, maxed out)
My credit card: $100 ($4000 balance, maxed out)
Tax related debt: $250 (about $4000 remaining)
Snowmobile: $380
Loan from fiancees mother: $300 (initial loan of $7000)

Bills

Home ins: $190
Cell: $300
Truck ins: $126
Car insurance: $40
Electricity: $250
Internet: $75

Total: $5565

I take home about $5600 a month with regular pay but have been working alot of overtime when it's available putting my average take home at about $6600. My fiancee takes home about $1200 a month but is trying to find a better paying job.

Ideally I'd like to be able to reduce our monthly payments to the point I can stop working overtime and still be able to put money away while paying down our debt. I am willing to give back the snowmobile and/or truck if need be but would prefer not to. So far the only other option I can think of is to try and consolidate the bulk of our debt into a 10 year loan but at this point that would be close to $85,000 and to me it seems unlikely that any bank would give us this loan. I don't think refinancing our home is an option as we only purchased it about a year and a half ago. At this point I am willing to consider any and all options.

Thanks in advanced!

I like that he thinks a $85k loan would solve this, except he already has 60k in Loans that didn't solve it.

Edit: Oh wait, comments are pretty good too

quote:

I had the house and the loan before buying the truck, everything else is relatively new debt. And a new high paying job got to my head haha I'm paying for that now for sure.

quote:

OK, good luck to you.

I hope you get through this, but at this point I have to say that you don't yet sound like somebody who wants to make the hard choices to get where you need to be.

What's the story on the $50,000, 11% loan? Prior consolidation?

quote:

It was used consolidate high interest debt and pay for renovations and appliances for the house.

So he bought a house, had a bunch of debt so he bought appliances and did a renovation with a new loan, then he bought a $70k truck.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 28, 2018

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Jesus. Imagine financing a snowmobile after having all that debt.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

AndrewP posted:

Imagine financing a snowblower

I caught you before your edit, lol.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Oh my god 850 a month for a truck and it's at least a 72-month loan since it's got 5 years remaining so I assume it was originally 6+.

That's gotta be some oil/gas worker type of dude

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

therobit posted:

Someone braver than me should should hunt up fur suits paid for with student loans on reddit.
I tried and found this on livejournal instead

purchasing a fursuit with a credit card?

i know that probably sounds like an idiot question and forgive my ignorance (hey i went to american public schools) but wouldn't a $1000+ fursuit be a good candidate for building a good credit score?

my mom is 43 and has never owned a credit card, so she has no credit score, which made is extremely difficult for us to find a place to live when my dad gave us the boot. naturally i don't want to end up in the same boat. i just turned 20, and i assume that's around the age that most people get bank accounts and credit cards? and i think i heard somewhere that you can't really build credit unless you buy expensive things. and i already own a car, so i can't use that to build credit.

just a thought i guess. i really know absolutely nothing about this kinda stuff.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

his mortgage is $1022, but there's no line item for property taxes and home insurance?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

brugroffil posted:

his mortgage is $1022, but there's no line item for property taxes and home insurance?

Many people (myself included) pay one price for all of those things.

PITI = Payment, Interest, Taxes, Insurance

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

brugroffil posted:

those are probably included with the mortgage and just sliced off into the escrow account

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Nocheez posted:

I caught you before your edit, lol.

Haha. I was truly dumbstruck at first.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

brugroffil posted:

He has a line for $190 Home Ins, I'd assume tax is rolled in there.

I guess he works/lives way up in Northern Canada so that explains/slight excuses some of the costs like a ridiculous cell phone bill.

He is arguing that he just can't get rid of the truck though.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Lockback posted:

He has a line for $190 Home Ins, I'd assume tax is rolled in there.

I guess he works/lives way up in Northern Canada so that explains/slight excuses some of the costs like a ridiculous cell phone bill.

He is arguing that he just can't get rid of the truck though.
Look, he physically can't okay.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I can't quit you, Ford.

I still love how Canada outdoes the US in almost every BWM category. He may not have a medical bills line item, but he managed to find a large truck and a snowmachine.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

Oh my god 850 a month for a truck and it's at least a 72-month loan since it's got 5 years remaining so I assume it was originally 6+.

Maybe not! Drive a truck for the job you want, not the job you have!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

FAUXTON posted:

But think of how much Truck Equity he's building!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

I can't quit you, Ford.

I still love how Canada outdoes the US in almost every BWM category. He may not have a medical bills line item, but he managed to find a large truck and a snowmachine.

It going to get better, the same guy also posts in growing sub-reddits (I was hoping to find a picture of his truck)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
What if that $850 is after he maxed out a home equity line to make a down payment and just got shellacked on the rate because he just fuckin' loves debt?

Or mayne trading home equity for truck equity because (and I'm going out on a limb here given the size of the mortgage payment) you can't drive your home out of the path of a wildfire (assuming he lives in the oil-producing Alberta prairie) is somehow a GWM move?

E: a chewy GWM center inside a BWM jawbreaker by carrying shitloads of debt on stuff that isn't covered by insurance, and maybe also underinsured to save $25 a month.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 28, 2018

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

FAUXTON posted:

What if that $850 is after he maxed out a home equity line to make a down payment and just got shellacked on the rate because he just fuckin' loves debt?

Or mayne trading home equity for truck equity because (and I'm going out on a limb here given the size of the mortgage payment) you can't drive your home out of the path of a wildfire (assuming he lives in the oil-producing Alberta prairie) is somehow a GWM move?

E: a chewy GWM center inside a BWM jawbreaker by carrying shitloads of debt on stuff that isn't covered by insurance, and maybe also underinsured to save $25 a month.

God, I love this thread.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Murderball posted:

I've notice an uptick in self-post reports lately. I know some people can't stand them, and others think that we shouldn't shut down discussion automatically just because they start with an I, my, or we, but just keep the general forums rule in mind:

If it's relevant and contributes to a discussion, go for it, but self-indulgent posts or humble bragging about your interest rate or the deal you got does not seem to be popular here.

e: It's time for BFC to be BFC again. I'll have it changed back to Business, Finance, and Careers, or something else if anyone wants to suggest something

What about derailing about the national debt and military spending? I kinda wanna keep that one going.
America should stop being World Police and be the biggest baddest Blackwater they can be. Stop paying for forward deployment, make your hosts pay. Replace everyone at OF-10 with Fortune 500 CEOs. America is a business, war is a business.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TVsVeryOwn posted:

What about derailing about the national debt and military spending? I kinda wanna keep that one going.
America should stop being World Police and be the biggest baddest Blackwater they can be. Stop paying for forward deployment, make your hosts pay. Replace everyone at OF-10 with Fortune 500 CEOs. America is a business, war is a business.

There's a whole subfoum made just to explore those topics.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Splicer posted:

I tried and found this on livejournal instead

purchasing a fursuit with a credit card?

i know that probably sounds like an idiot question and forgive my ignorance (hey i went to american public schools) but wouldn't a $1000+ fursuit be a good candidate for building a good credit score?

my mom is 43 and has never owned a credit card, so she has no credit score, which made is extremely difficult for us to find a place to live when my dad gave us the boot. naturally i don't want to end up in the same boat. i just turned 20, and i assume that's around the age that most people get bank accounts and credit cards? and i think i heard somewhere that you can't really build credit unless you buy expensive things. and i already own a car, so i can't use that to build credit.

just a thought i guess. i really know absolutely nothing about this kinda stuff.

LOL close enough. This poor kid hasn't got a chance.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
“The age most people get bank accounts” hahah he’s in trouble.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

wilderthanmild posted:

Also I'm kinda surprised they managed to get all the way through the process without anyone telling them how bad of an idea this was. That has to have been right on the edge of the max they could legally borrow.

If this were Vancouver, someone would be telling them they could afford much more house than that!

(A family on $72K/year gross can totes afford a $600K one-bedroom condo. Yep.)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Is 3% mortgage reasonable in CA?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Lead out in cuffs posted:

If this were Vancouver, someone would be telling them they could afford much more house than that!

(A family on $72K/year gross can totes afford a $600K one-bedroom condo. Yep.)

quote:

One could afford to pay the interest on a $847000 place.

I mean, technically he's not wrong.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Is 3% mortgage reasonable in CA?

Edit: I thought CA was California.

therobit fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 29, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Wait, that's an interest only loan? At some point they have to start paying principal though? Or is Canada different?

Does anyone remember the Rooms 2 Go promotions where you'd get 5 years no interest/no payments? You just walk out with that whole suite of furniture and half a decade later you start making payments on the principal and 5 loving years of accumulated interest. They finally made those illegal. They can still give you 5 years no interest, but you have to at least make the payments.

I still see deals where you can buy a car now and make no payments for six months.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I still see deals where you can buy a car now and make no payments for six months.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Motors#0%E2%80%930%E2%80%930 Mitsubishi ate enormous losses when they gave away cars with 0 down payment and no payments during the first year.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Inept posted:

I'm gonna be a stick in the mud and say change it back to the normal name. Naming it some jokey thing means no one knows what the forum is. I've seen multiple people from other forums have no idea this place existed because it had a weird name for a year. That and it's under Ask/Tell, a forum with half of the viewers this one has.

I was thinking the same thing. It made BFC a bit hard to find unless someone pointed it out.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

we should deffo make it asymmetrical

eat a probe for humblebragging, nothing for telling selfowns and bwm stories

I like this idea.

TVsVeryOwn posted:

There will be an inevitable crossroads between government/politics and bad financial decisions, but stick to the funny BWM content and leave the left/right bickering to D&D

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
hang out in cspam instead d&d sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

hang out in cspam instead d&d sucks

Poor Freckles Leon Trotsky, thought of ants dumbass poltics and died got probated.