Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think I tried to give Disenchantment a watch, but I think where it was failing for me was that despite it being a mythical setting, it didn't really feel like it had the spirit of such a thing, almost too modern, amongst other things.

I similarly tried to give Paradise PD a watch and found it after the first 3 minutes to be one of the most frustratingly bad animated comedies I've seen in a while.

I know people tend to focus on Rick and Morty and Venture Bros. when it comes to Adult Swim, but I don't know how they managed to succeed so relatively well in almost all their original animated fare over the years, even the most absurd and disturbing ones.

Disenchanment was really bad, like susan boyle futurama bad. I think I liked paradise pd more and that show is loving cancer. sad thing is there is so little content on netlflix that i will prob watch second season of both shows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Disenchantment ranges from bad to thoroughly ok. I'd compare it to the forgettable episodes of reboot Futurama, rather than the awful or good ones. If you want to watch some Netflix animated shows and have already gotten through the good ones like Bojack Horseman or Neo Yokio you might as well give it a shot.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
i liked disenchantment - I thought the animation was really cool and I was a big fan of both futurama and broad city. the "will they or won't they" romantic subplot did irritate me, and it's mostly not laugh-out-loud funny, but i definitely like it better than modern simpsons.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

QwertySanchez posted:

I really wouldn't recommend Disenchantment, and I watched the simpsons up to season 24 before deciding that was unwatchable.

edit: for those wondering. This is the episode that finally made me quit.

Colin Meloy as himself.

I can't tell if I'm angry or tired.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

i definitely like it better than modern simpsons.

extremely low bar there

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Miss posted:

extremely low bar there

Yeah, I take shits taht are more entertaining than a new episode

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Disenchantment was OK at best, middling most of the time, and absolute garbage too often.

It falls into so many of the bad comedy series traps, like not being confident enough to let a subtle joke be. For instance, in one of the first episodes Elfo and the princess escape into a magical forest, and there's a "Beware the racist unicorn" sign briefly shown at the forest entrance. That would've been a funny background joke, and I got a good chuckle out of imagining what a racist unicorn would be like. Then I spent the next 5 or so minutes going "please don't show the racist unicorn and ruin the joke, PLEASE". But of course they do: a unicorn turns up to see Elfo and the princess sleeping next to each other and goes 'an ELF and a HUMAN? That's just WRONG".

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, I take shits taht are more entertaining than a new episode

this sunday everyone gather around the toilet bowl for a new simpsons, homer becomes a successful twitch streamer but gets swatted by lisa for going on a racist tirade live

e: special guest george zimmerman

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tiberius Christ posted:

this sunday everyone gather around the toilet bowl for a new simpsons, homer becomes a successful twitch streamer but gets swatted by lisa for going on a racist tirade live

e: special guest george zimmerman

Probably still better than the episode with Elon Musk

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I liked the amphibian stepmom character in Disenchanted

I literally can't remember anything else about the show

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think I tried to give Disenchantment a watch, but I think where it was failing for me was that despite it being a mythical setting, it didn't really feel like it had the spirit of such a thing, almost too modern, amongst other things.

I similarly tried to give Paradise PD a watch and found it after the first 3 minutes to be one of the most frustratingly bad animated comedies I've seen in a while.

I know people tend to focus on Rick and Morty and Venture Bros. when it comes to Adult Swim, but I don't know how they managed to succeed so relatively well in almost all their original animated fare over the years, even the most absurd and disturbing ones.

[Adult Swim] originals are for marijuana addicts who will laugh at anything

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

I liked the amphibian stepmom character in Disenchanted

I literally can't remember anything else about the show

I think they have some good character ideas, but they haven't figured them all out. Like, the main character being drunk and high all the time to avoid her royal life is an OK joke, but not really enough to hang a character on. The elf guy has a decent premise of being from like, Candyland, so he's hilariously naive, but they never stick to that and he's often just as drunk and high and mean as everyone else.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm willing to give Disenchantment a chance because BoJack season 1 was just alright before it went on to become the award winning show it is today.

Though chances are Disenchantment will just continue to be as it is.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Disenchantment had plenty of problems, both with writing in general and in how it handled dumping out an entire season in one go. At worst it was never outright repellent like some of the other animated Netflix shows are.

There were some decent gags, and overall I think the characters are likable enough that it has potential to get pretty good in the best case scenario. Futurama had to be refined a lot after the early episodes, but it had sharp enough humor to carry me through its flaws, and it felt like the traditional television model allowed it to improve faster than what we get now with prepackaged Netflix seasons.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I have a shameful confession to make: I actually kinda liked the Futurama movies! Not as much as the original run but more than the latter part of the final run.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The first movie had its moments.
e: wait poo poo confused a scene with a regular episode

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

brugroffil posted:

I have a shameful confession to make: I actually kinda liked the Futurama movies! Not as much as the original run but more than the latter part of the final run.

I thought the first was pretty decent, the second was horrible, and the third and fourth were ok

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Just from the first few episodes of Disenchantment, it doesn't feel like the characters have any depth to them. Bean's story just doesn't do anything for me because from moment one that we're introduced to her, she's already confident, liberated, capable and adventurous.

That's not a problem, but the teasers for the show made it seem like the journey of the character was supposed to be that to move them away from a sheltered life.

I don't know if this would be an improvement: If you need to start the series with a wedding, anyway, just have it be to her father and new step-mother. The moment the 'I Do' is said, she finds her once comfortable royal life thrown into disarray by the new step-mom who does things to her that (un)intentionally leads her to become a different person and face different challenges.

It feels like a more traditional fairy tale gimmick of the 'evil stepmother' and if that was a bit more of the focus, you could play it in different ways. Even an eventual reveal that while to Bean it all looks cruel, to the step-Mom it's more a, "No, I'm not being 'evil', I'm trying to be a responsible parent!"

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The Celine Dion tickets gag from Amy's dad actually made me laugh pretty hard.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
The only thing that made me laugh in disenchantment was the billy west-voiced jester's 'oh nooo' whenever he was tossed out of frame. idk why, but it's the truth. the luci thing got a couple hehs out of me but I think that's more because I like eric andre.

also the simpsons/fg crossover was infinitely better than the futurama one. brian being banished to the kitchen to eat with santa's little helper was funny. :colbert:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Oof yeah the car washing scene was pretty brutal, but it had some decent jokes.

Are you a cool mayor?

I, er, uh, like to think so!

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Der Shovel posted:

Disenchantment was OK at best, middling most of the time, and absolute garbage too often.

It falls into so many of the bad comedy series traps, like not being confident enough to let a subtle joke be. For instance, in one of the first episodes Elfo and the princess escape into a magical forest, and there's a "Beware the racist unicorn" sign briefly shown at the forest entrance. That would've been a funny background joke, and I got a good chuckle out of imagining what a racist unicorn would be like. Then I spent the next 5 or so minutes going "please don't show the racist unicorn and ruin the joke, PLEASE". But of course they do: a unicorn turns up to see Elfo and the princess sleeping next to each other and goes 'an ELF and a HUMAN? That's just WRONG".

yeah disenchantment has potential but it just falls short of it so often

i'm hoping that the first season is just the show catching it's stride and it'll be funnier the second season

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Der Shovel posted:

The problem I had with that joke was the opposite- the sign is subtle so I actually missed it the first time I watched the show, so when it beats you over the head with the (unnecessary) "punchline", it's just confusing.

It's a really uneven show, but I thought it was pretty good when I played it in the background while cleaning or something.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
In the last episode of the Simpsons Marge signs up for one of those HelloFresh/Blue Apron services thinking it will give her some much needed downtime. When it turns out that Homer starts saying it's the best tasting food he's ever had it causes a minor mental breakdown for her and she starts slowly adulterating the food, however Homer keeps on enjoying it even when her additions have grown to toxic proportions.

Meanwhile Maggie has grown addicted to her Mapple pad and Lisa is trying (with hilarious results) to encourage her to play with more enriching toys like building blocks and Lisa's own old model trainset.

Both plotlines come together when Homer is unconscious on the floor from food poisoning and Maggie throwing away an old stuffed toy in anger lands on his stomach and makes him vomit.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

ulex minor posted:

In the last episode of the Simpsons Marge signs up for one of those HelloFresh/Blue Apron services thinking it will give her some much needed downtime. When it turns out that Homer starts saying it's the best tasting food he's ever had it causes a minor mental breakdown for her and she starts slowly adulterating the food, however Homer keeps on enjoying it even when her additions have grown to toxic proportions.

Meanwhile Maggie has grown addicted to her Mapple pad and Lisa is trying (with hilarious results) to encourage her to play with more enriching toys like building blocks and Lisa's own old model trainset.

Both plotlines come together when Homer is unconscious on the floor from food poisoning and Maggie throwing away an old stuffed toy in anger lands on his stomach and makes him vomit.

certainly seems like an episode written by Harvard alumni

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Der Shovel posted:

It falls into so many of the bad comedy series traps, like not being confident enough to let a subtle joke be.

That’s what The Simpsons did so well early. A quick joke from even a minor character like Kent Brockman like “Authorities say the phony pope can be recognized by his high top sneakers, and incredibly foul mouth.”

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

That’s what The Simpsons did so well early. A quick joke from even a minor character like Kent Brockman like “Authorities say the phony pope can be recognized by his high top sneakers, and incredibly foul mouth.”

lol

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ulex minor posted:

Guess Marge finally snapped after all those years

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Der Shovel posted:

That's also just such a lazy dumb line, like OH THAT'S NOT RIGHT, the one line that grates on me in Galaxy Quest. Like, that's just such a stock, grab-bag line, like it's just a thing you say because that's the thing you say in that situation. No imagination or invention to it. You couldn't have come up with something with a character-based twist or something surprising like the Pope thing above?

"Hey we have a sportscaster making commentary, better have him say OHHH THAT'S GOTTA HURT"

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Data Graham posted:

That's also just such a lazy dumb line, like OH THAT'S NOT RIGHT, the one line that grates on me in Galaxy Quest. Like, that's just such a stock, grab-bag line, like it's just a thing you say because that's the thing you say in that situation. No imagination or invention to it. You couldn't have come up with something with a character-based twist or something surprising like the Pope thing above?

"Hey we have a sportscaster making commentary, better have him say OHHH THAT'S GOTTA HURT"

And that's a bad miss.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Watching that Futurama crossover episode.
Putting Seymour in it outside the pizza shop was just loving cruel, I haven't watched that episode in a decade because I can't handle the devastation again.

The rest of the episode is whatever, though seeing Springfieldians juxtaposed with people with more realistic skin tones is weird.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Too bad about Disenchantment, I guess I will just watch the new season of Simpsons instead

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
I can't watch Futurama anymore because the professor reminds me of genesplicer and that sucka

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Iron Crowned posted:

I thought the first was pretty decent, the second was horrible, and the third and fourth were ok

This thread is the first time I've ever heard there were Futurama movies. There are FOUR? :psyduck:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

TheMostFrench posted:

This thread is the first time I've ever heard there were Futurama movies. There are FOUR? :psyduck:

Yeah in the years between being cancelled on Fox and their revival on comedy central

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Actually each movie was designed to be split into four episodes, so they collectively form the fifth season. I agree that the second movie was really really bad. It had exactly one good joke, the joke with Bender's son.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
I remember liking benders big score maybe because it was the first new Futurama in years

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A full length episode of Everybody Loves Hypnotoad was a bonus on the first movie's dvd. I was working at a GameCrazy at the time and had full control over a TV with a PS3 hooked up to it so I'd play it on a loop. Kids would just come by and stare at it unironically.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

sweet geek swag posted:

Actually each movie was designed to be split into four episodes, so they collectively form the fifth season. I agree that the second movie was really really bad. It had exactly one good joke, the joke with Bender's son.

Yeah they'd frequently be shown that way on TV in later years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Looking back I can't believe that there were only 140 episodes of Futurama

At 138, Simpsons still had many good episodes to come