Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

The Audi etron GT looks really good.

590 HP, 0-60 in 3.5 Seconds, 149 mph top speed, 248 mile range. Same 800 volt charging system as the Taycan and it's based on the same platform.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-audi-e-tron-gt-concept-is-an-incredibly-handso-1830720825

loving hell thats gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

KillHour posted:

Are those cloth seats? I mean, they look nice, but....

They look like wool to me

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

KillHour posted:

Are those cloth seats? I mean, they look nice, but....

We can only hope.
gently caress leather seats, more car companies need to offer cloth on their high level trims.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Throatwarbler posted:

Oxcart rear suspension.

Are there any other cars that have AWD with a twist beam rear? On the old Japanese AWD cars from the 90s the AWD version got either a live axle or IRS.

I think the CX-3 already does. Plenty of other stuff like that Fit too.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Throatwarbler posted:

Oxcart rear suspension.

The new Focus is coming with twist beam axle in Australia for all models except the station wagon. Which is a shame since Ford really made a noise about the control blade IRS in the original Focus and how it was better than the VW Golf's twist beam rear end.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Goober Peas posted:

They look like wool to me

says

quote:

and the interior is completely vegan

so is wool vegan?

e- id love it if it was hemp

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?

BloodBag posted:

You've discovered why half-ton trucks are so popular in Texas. They eat up miles in comfort that's only available on sedans with $100k+ price tags and from El-Paso to Orange on I-10 is 858 miles. The closest big cities to Houston are Austin, Dallas, San Antonio. Each one is at least 3 hours away. I've done those drives in a Subaru, and I get the same gas mileage in the F150 5.0L.

Unless you're towing or hauling, there are loads of vehicles that will eat highway miles in just as much or more comfort than a full size pickup that will get meaningfully better gas mileage. Most of the full size sedan class, for example, although those are dying. Bet a new Accord would be more pleasant to drive long distances and get close to double the MPG, although I've never driven one myself. There's very little way to rationalize this country's love affair with the pickup. But hey, cars invoke irrationality.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Sits on Pilster posted:

Unless you're towing or hauling, there are loads of vehicles that will eat highway miles in just as much or more comfort than a full size pickup that will get meaningfully better gas mileage. Most of the full size sedan class, for example, although those are dying. Bet a new Accord would be more pleasant to drive long distances and get close to double the MPG, although I've never driven one myself. There's very little way to rationalize this country's love affair with the pickup. But hey, cars invoke irrationality.

When you weigh a quarter ton yourself you need a pickup’s suspension just to drive across town.

This is an “Americans are fat” joke.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1067791101782831104

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1067792610180456448

:yeshaha:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The trucks will still be made in mexico, imported under USMCA

The only people he will be hurting is people in red states who build BMWs, because all that poo poo is moving to china.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Powershift posted:

The trucks will still be made in mexico, imported under USMCA

The only people he will be hurting is people in red states who build BMWs, because all that poo poo is moving to china.

No, those southern ununionized factories are probably safe since anything they produce is obviously exempt. I think Volvo is provably going to regret the decision not to build the XC60 at its new factory.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

drgitlin posted:

No, those southern ununionized factories are probably safe since anything they produce is obviously exempt. I think Volvo is provably going to regret the decision not to build the XC60 at its new factory.

He means the BMW plant that makes X5s which are America's biggest automotive export to China. BMW is the largest US exporter of cars and the X5 alone is like enough to put a meaningful dent in the trade deficit with China.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-bmw-results-q2-exports/bmw-builds-x5-in-thailand-to-counteract-u-s-china-tariffs-ceo-idUSKBN1KN1W3

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/273171-tariff-war-casualty-americas-largest-car-exporter-shifts-some-production-to-china

A blanket tax on imported cars to the US will invite retaliation from the rest of the world and hurt BMW the most.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
General Motors Bankruptcy II when?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Throatwarbler posted:

Oxcart rear suspension.

Are there any other cars that have AWD with a twist beam rear? On the old Japanese AWD cars from the 90s the AWD version got either a live axle or IRS.

This is super disappointing; I've never owned a Mazda but I've always really liked them, and I've occasionally considered going from truck to Mazda3 for daily driving, and now god drat what the gently caress Mazda

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

Wheeee posted:

This is super disappointing; I've never owned a Mazda but I've always really liked them, and I've occasionally considered going from truck to Mazda3 for daily driving, and now god drat what the gently caress Mazda

I mean there will probably be screamin' deals on 2018s when the new generation comes out, and they're still a pretty good little hatch that gets excellent mileage and is presumably pretty reliable at this point.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

the FiST had a twist rear axle and everybody was cool with it. Give Mazda a chance. Besides that witchcraft engine is probably going to have some ruinous fault and then nobody is gonna give a poo poo about the rear suspension layout

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Mr. Apollo posted:

It's pretty good looking, but it looks like they've chopped of an R8 front up to the back of the front fenders, and stuck it on an A7.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

ExplodingSims posted:

We can only hope.
gently caress leather seats, more car companies need to offer cloth on their high level trims.

This man speaks the truth. Leather sucks in the cold. My Volvo has heated cloth seats and they're amazing.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’d be fine with cloth seats. What I want is the option to make the hatch area have 0 carpet. The dogs go back there and nearly every manufacturer puts that cheap cloth/felt stuff on the back of the seats and around the sides. I have a cover but dog hair still finds a way through.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Mr. Apollo posted:

590 HP, 0-60 in 3.5 Seconds, 149 mph top speed, 248 mile range. Same 800 volt charging system as the Taycan and it's based on the same platform.

That rear end is ugly as sin though.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KakerMix posted:

Neat, does look pretty good and a 6 speed manual hellllllss yeah. I'm guessing it's huge too because instead of looking tall it looks wide, like an H1 Hummer. Although I'm wondering about the face of the thing since they aren't showing it in these pictures. Rear bumper looks proportional, what about the front?

It probably looks like this: º|||||||º

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Wheels on that e-tron are pap. Needs some of these fuckers on it to be fully cool.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST

Powershift posted:

2020 Gladiator JT

1600lb payload, 7650lb towing. 3.6 V6 + 6 speed stick is standard. 3.0 ecodiesel optional

I really wasn't expecting to like it as much as i do. It's......good?

please tell me they have plans for a two door model, pleeeeeease

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Cocoa Crispies posted:

It probably looks like this: º|||||||º

Yeah yeah I know it was a dumb comment. Still do think it looks pretty great. It's got to be the bed that sets the proportions correct for me because I still thing the 4 door Wrangler looks wrong but this pickup looks good.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
A diesel Gladiator would be pretty rad. Never cared for Wranglers personally but I'd look at that truck before the competitors for sure

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

incels interlinked posted:

A diesel Gladiator would be pretty rad. Never cared for Wranglers personally but I'd look at that truck before the competitors for sure

You can get the same motor in the Ram 1500.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SlimManFat posted:

please tell me they have plans for a two door model, pleeeeeease

The doors come off, so you can have as many as you need, between 0 and 4.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Mr-Spain posted:

You can get the same motor in the Ram 1500.

You can get an even better one in an F250! But I imagine both a Ram 1500 and an F250 are considerably larger than a Gladiator

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I’d be fine with cloth seats. What I want is the option to make the hatch area have 0 carpet. The dogs go back there and nearly every manufacturer puts that cheap cloth/felt stuff on the back of the seats and around the sides. I have a cover but dog hair still finds a way through.

We might've talked about this in the thread before but is it safe to put dogs in the hatch on a modern car? I always figured the hatch would be built to crumple and absorb impact. We put our dog in the back seat with a harness and her fur gets everywhere.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

prom candy posted:

We might've talked about this in the thread before but is it safe to put dogs in the hatch on a modern car? I always figured the hatch would be built to crumple and absorb impact. We put our dog in the back seat with a harness and her fur gets everywhere.

A harness like this?: https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Hammock-Anti-Scratch-Nonslip-Washable/dp/B07519V2YN/

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yeah we have a cover like that but then also a harness that clips into the seatbelt so that the dog doesn't go through the windshield if we get in an accident. Although she manages to step on the release button half the time anyway.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

In think you should assume that if it isn't the seating area of a vehicle, it hasn't been designed to survive a crash.

That said, as sad/morbid as it sounds, your furry friend probably isn't surviving a crash bad enough to crush the hatch area significantly anyways. Very few seat harnesses are designed well enough to pass crash tests and there's also limits of the size of the dog where they are effective.

If your dog is small enough, it really needs to be in the back seat with a harness that passes crash testing. If it's too big for that, it needs to be in the hatch area of the car with a strong divider or cage that's bolted to the frame of the car. Otherwise, you are running the risk that your dog will end up killing you in an accident.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

bull3964 posted:

In think you should assume that if it isn't the seating area of a vehicle, it hasn't been designed to survive a crash.

That said, as sad/morbid as it sounds, your furry friend probably isn't surviving a crash bad enough to crush the hatch area significantly anyways. Very few seat harnesses are designed well enough to pass crash tests and there's also limits of the size of the dog where they are effective.

If your dog is small enough, it really needs to be in the back seat with a harness that passes crash testing. If it's too big for that, it needs to be in the hatch area of the car with a strong divider or cage that's bolted to the frame of the car. Otherwise, you are running the risk that your dog will end up killing you in an accident.

Yeah. I'm not holding out much hope a nylon harness is going to withstand accident forces, and I'd rather not have a 50 lb missile aimed at the back of my head.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The Sleepypod pet harnesses do very well in an accident but aren't the easiest thing to use and can be uncomfortable for dogs that move around a lot.

There is some testing done by the organization Center for Pet Safety but I don't think they've done much since their 2013 test.

A good alternative is a crash tested crate, although they can take up a lot of room for a large dog, obviously.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

BloodBag posted:

You've discovered why half-ton trucks are so popular in Texas. They eat up miles in comfort that's only available on sedans with $100k+ price tags and from El-Paso to Orange on I-10 is 858 miles. The closest big cities to Houston are Austin, Dallas, San Antonio. Each one is at least 3 hours away. I've done those drives in a Subaru, and I get the same gas mileage in the F150 5.0L.

So much this. When you're doing serious long haul mileage in the US I'd argue the best vehicle around is the Chevy Suburban. That long wheelbase does wonders for ride comfort and GM has tweaked the aero, gear ratios, and fuel maps to the point that you can get mid 20s in the real world for something like a Dallas to El Paso run. There's a reason you see so many used Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon that clearly aren't a livery car, yet have epic moon mileage.

Sits on Pilster posted:

A Suburban is just so much better for racking up the miles than anything short of a long wheelbase S-class. Full-size V6/V8 sedans have all gotten more or less 17 city, 25 highway for 20+ years at this point and even the latest ones aren't appreciably better.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Hatch cargo compartments are like giant resonating chambers for noise. They put that carpet in there to try and damp them

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Dogchat: We use the Kurgo Tru-Fit Crash-Tested harnesses on our dogs, and have a 4knines cover on the back seat along with their door panel covers to keep the seats nice. Works great.

Mazdarearsuspensionchat: Mazda's whole thing nowadays is building excellent cars that don't look like they stack up on paper so I'm going to expect the twistbeam to be excellent until proven otherwise. You have to wonder if they'd switch it out on a hotter one, though. there won't be a hotter one

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 30, 2018

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

If there's anyone I trust to make a twistbeam rear not suck, it's Mazda. I hope they didn't gently caress it up though, which is totally possible.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
We have that same Kurgo harness for our dog. I don't know if it would save her in a crash but it would hopefully stop her from killing us too at least. The problem i have with the seat protector is it has little holes for the seatbelt to come through, and a ton of dog hair gets through there. I ended up just paying to have my car detailed at the end of the summer and haven't had the dog back in it since. Her hair like threads into the seat cloth and my handheld Dyson can't even pick up a lot of it. Dog life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

ExplodingSims posted:

We can only hope.

I tried so hard to buy a BMW 2-er with the cloth interior, but even through BMW Individual you can't get the cloth interior in the USA.

Damned shame.