Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

KingKapalone posted:

It's going to be $200 at Target. Is the S4 twice as good? Need to decide too, but probably not.

I personally think so but that’s a killer deal and I’d still go with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Also think about it in terms of how long it’ll last. That $200 might buy a year or two of performance the lesser model doesn’t.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They jumped to 64 bit this year. S3 and older aren't immediately dead but if the migration goes like it did when the phones moved to 64 bit the clock is ticking.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You can take my S2 from my cold, dead hands or just not offer a WatchOS update and then I'll upgrade!!!!

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

KingKapalone posted:

It's going to be $200 at Target. Is the S4 twice as good? Need to decide too, but probably not.

Any thing about the 42mm being on sale for Black Friday anywhere?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Endless Mike posted:

You can take my S2 from my cold, dead hands or just not offer a WatchOS update and then I'll upgrade!!!!

Or trade that bad boy in like I did for $120 while it’s still worth something...

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Alfalfa posted:

Any thing about the 42mm being on sale for Black Friday anywhere?

Their ad says starting at $200 as well as Save $80 so they're obviously referring to the 38mm, but the "starting" part usually implies there's other SKUs at a higher price which could be the 42mm?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Endless Mike posted:

watchOS 5 not being supported on the S0 is what got me to upgrade. With the way I use the watch, it doesn’t really bother me if it slows down slightly with os updates so I plan on keeping my 4 for a while until they introduce more health sensors.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Looking at the apple 3 watch gps version for my wife, but we have a question: she’s a Spotify user and a runner.

Without cellular data, will she be able to load a playlist from Spotify on her watch and go for a run outside?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Nope, and the LTE version won’t help either. You need the phone nearby.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ah thanks-looks like that’s out for now.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

nwin posted:

Looking at the apple 3 watch gps version for my wife, but we have a question: she’s a Spotify user and a runner.

Without cellular data, will she be able to load a playlist from Spotify on her watch and go for a run outside?

Not yet. Spotify says that’s coming tho. Of course, it took them forever to just release the app so ... ?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

About to pull the trigger on the S3 but now I can’t tell, does it reliably charge off Qi or is that a bust? I saw some articles from late 2017 saying it’s hit or miss but that’s about it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

About to pull the trigger on the S3 but now I can’t tell, does it reliably charge off Qi or is that a bust? I saw some articles from late 2017 saying it’s hit or miss but that’s about it.

What are you trying to do?

Like it doesn’t take that long to charge and the battery lasts a long time so IMO just use the charger it comes with and charge it in the shower or something.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I think they are asking if they can put the watch over a regular Qi charger that you’d use for your phone and if it would work.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think they are asking if they can put the watch over a regular Qi charger that you’d use for your phone and if it would work.

Well I guess why would you need to do that? Unless you travel a lot and don’t want to buy a second charger.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

What are you trying to do?

Like it doesn’t take that long to charge and the battery lasts a long time so IMO just use the charger it comes with and charge it in the shower or something.

I just want to throw it down on a charge pad at the end of the night alongside my phone, and not have to fish the end of the Apple magnetic puck back from behind my nightstand or wherever the cat knocked it.

It’s not a dealbreaker, but just seems like a nice to have considering the phones from the same generation also support it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I have one of these which is a good compromise, I think. Your cat won't be able to knock it off.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

I have one of these which is a good compromise, I think. Your cat won't be able to knock it off.

Lol, I was just going to recommend that. I have it sitting right next to the Qi charger for the phone. It's nice because it makes it easy to charge non-buckle straps as well.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

I just want to throw it down on a charge pad at the end of the night alongside my phone, and not have to fish the end of the Apple magnetic puck back from behind my nightstand or wherever the cat knocked it.

It’s not a dealbreaker, but just seems like a nice to have considering the phones from the same generation also support it.

Short answer: No, you can't.

Long answer: See the debacle Apple are clearly in with implementing AirPower, which was their (separate, expensive) charger that's meant to achieve this. It's already a year overdue and there's still no sign of it shipping, while they've stripped most mentions of it from their website.

As the earlier poster mentioned, the watch does fine with a quick charge while having a shower each morning. I'm away from home once every fortnight so I bought one of these to take with me, and leave my proper cabled charger by my bed in one of the stands linked above.

Froist fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 22, 2018

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Is there a go-to watch app recommendation for weight lifting? I just want something to track sets and maintain a running time between them. The Stronglifts app does this but I don't think it works on the watch.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also if you keep an eyes out I’ve seen third party chargers from bestbuy go for cheap.

Hey is there no thanksgiving badge this year??

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Escape Goat posted:

Is there a go-to watch app recommendation for weight lifting? I just want something to track sets and maintain a running time between them. The Stronglifts app does this but I don't think it works on the watch.

Strong is great but it’s absolutely loving infuriating for me on the watch side. Every other workout I have to re-pair the watch in the app or uninstall/re-install the watch app. Otherwise it won’t start the companion mode on the watch and not track your heart data.

When it works it’s really good though.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I love wireless charging on the phone, but it doesn’t seem like it would work on the watch very well. Because of how most bands are either either pretty rigid or fully connected as a complete circle it seems like the back of the watch won’t sit flush with a charging pad very well? Like if I take my watch off and lay it flat with the default rubbery band (forgot the fancy name for it) the back of the watch sits like 1/8 an inch off the surface of the table. And it wouldn’t work at all with the fancy leather or metal bands that you would have to take off the watch every night just to charge it.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Double post.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

MarcusSA posted:

Well I guess why would you need to do that? Unless you travel a lot and don’t want to buy a second charger.

Fun fact, some electric toothbrushes use Qi :D. Friend has one of those with Bluetooth and the charger/base thing clearly says Qi on it but not sure if it has enough juice to charge a phone. My electric one doesn’t say Qi but it’s also induction, so I’m not really sure what it means to be a Qi induction charger vs an induction charger.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Violator posted:

I love wireless charging on the phone, but it doesn’t seem like it would work on the watch very well. Because of how most bands are either either pretty rigid or fully connected as a complete circle it seems like the back of the watch won’t sit flush with a charging pad very well? Like if I take my watch off and lay it flat with the default rubbery band (forgot the fancy name for it) the back of the watch sits like 1/8 an inch off the surface of the table. And it wouldn’t work at all with the fancy leather or metal bands that you would have to take off the watch every night just to charge it.

That’s why I bought a $3 stand. Also you can lay the watch on the side and charge it. The charger is magnetic.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Apple Watch is weird, and I’ve heard it will charge off some Qi chargers but not others.

I assume Apple is using a proprietary wireless charging that is at least loosely based off Qi.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Anyone use Pillow and actually have success with it auto tracking sleep?

Been trying it for a week now and it only says I sleep about an hour or 2.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Alfalfa posted:

Anyone use Pillow and actually have success with it auto tracking sleep?

Been trying it for a week now and it only says I sleep about an hour or 2.

Maybe you are? If you suffer from Apnea, you may actually only be getting 2 hours of “real” sleep.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

Maybe you are? If you suffer from Apnea, you may actually only be getting 2 hours of “real” sleep.

It doesn't even show me laying down from 11pm - 7am though.

~11pm - 3:00am and then it stops tracking.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is there a way to remote play a iTunes video with the Apple Watch on a iPad. I want to watch videos on my iPad and use the Apple Watch to pause the video like the now playing app on the watch for the phone.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Is there a way to disable notification mirroring for Screen Time? I don’t see it the Watch -> Notifications menu.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

Alfalfa posted:

It doesn't even show me laying down from 11pm - 7am though.

~11pm - 3:00am and then it stops tracking.

I upgraded from an S3 to an S4, and now Sleep Watch, the sleep tracking app that was the most accurate of the ones I’ve tried, isn’t even close anymore. I can sleep for a solid 10 hours, and it’ll say I only slept for a restless 1.5 hours. I’m going back to Auto Sleep to see if it works better for me on the S4.

Also, I’ve literally gotten up and danced for 5 minutes after receiving a stand notification and not received credit for it. I still think the S4 is absolutely worth it for the vastly improved screen, but the motion tracking on this thing seems to have taken a step down from the S3, at least for me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Traded in my S2 for a black GPS S4 on a whim today. 44 is definitely going to take a little getting used to. The new expanded screen dimensions with the overall increase in physical size makes this thing feel like it's much larger than it is.

Debating asking in here or the macOS thread but anyone know how to remove my old watch from the "unlock with watch" settings? I mean, I unchecked my old watch but it's still in the list when I pop open preferences. Annoying because I want to give my new watch the same name but then chaos reigns.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Go to appleid.apple.com

Login with your iCloud account. You should see a list of all devices you're signed into. I bet your old watch is in there. Remove it. It should eventually disappear from that stuff in preferences.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Go to appleid.apple.com

Login with your iCloud account. You should see a list of all devices you're signed into. I bet your old watch is in there. Remove it. It should eventually disappear from that stuff in preferences.

You can also do it on your phone if you search the settings for Apple ID.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MarcusSA posted:

You can also do it on your phone if you search the settings for Apple ID.

I just looked and you're right! When did they add that stuff in?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I just looked and you're right! When did they add that stuff in?

:shrug:

I know it was in iOS11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Go to appleid.apple.com

Hey, that was it! Thank you :)