Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Gavok posted:

The best thing about Setting up a Room is the "trailer" they released. It does a better job explaining the short more than a highlight reel would.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI0uJfpKUPM

Thank you for this.

Talk about my dream job, I want nothing more in life than to drive those around me into insanity with bizarre films that shouldn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Keromaru5 posted:

I figured Kinga just liquefied them for archival purposes. Like when my dad digitized his record collection.

Anyway, I'm rewatching Killer Fish right now, and while Gypsy's piña colada is a nice touch for her Nessie costume, it's the cowboy hat that really completes it.
Both of those visual gags went over my head.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

LadyPictureShow posted:

He does it in Mitchell and I just lost it the first time I saw it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c8kUgHsKWJc

ahh you're right, during setting up a room he screams "WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

Both of those visual gags went over my head.

Are you saying you missed seeing them, or you think they went over your head?

Because I assure you it didn't go over your head, it's just a little absurdist comedy. Because, well why wouldn't Nessie wear a cowboy hat while drinking a piña colada?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Mac and Me: I think this show is so much better when you've seen the movie before.

LesterGroans posted:

Atlantic Rim was made up of parts of what they think movies should have. Like the love triangle plot that never resolves.

I was expecting a Devil's Triangle. Disappointed.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Nov 28, 2018

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The concepts song was a standout. I don't know if any episode reached the upper echelons this season.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Breadallelogram posted:

New season was pretty nice. I like that they are including more of the crew in the riffs and the host segments, but most of the Growler, Waverly, and Phibes stuff has fallen flat for me so far. Killer Fish was my least favorite episode, mostly because Growler's interruptions just weren't funny. Maybe it's just that the new characters don't have 30 years of history like Tom, Crow, and Gypsy.

The Growler jokes didn't really work for me because they had nothing to do with the movie; the gag was that he was trying to be helpful and interrupting the riffing.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Is something going on with the people who run mst3kinfo.com? Last year they had tons of content about the new season but this year they’ve been dead silent other than linking to a few reviews.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I don't know about recently, but they were really weird about posting stuff for season 11 before it was released.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Just watched the last episode and I was really expecting to enjoy Ator more than I did.

What a joyless, by-the-numbers sworcery movie that was.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Our cowtown puppet show made this list and Joel was of course flattered, although he wondered why they used a still from a movie no incarnation ever riffed.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Not Operator posted:

Just watched the last episode and I was really expecting to enjoy Ator more than I did.

What a joyless, by-the-numbers sworcery movie that was.

Yeah, being related to Cave Dwellers made me expect great things.

All I got was great disappointment. :(

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The third Ator film retcons basically everything from the first two and pissed off the original director enough he came back to make a fourth one which retconned the third one

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Barudak posted:

The third Ator film retcons basically everything from the first two and pissed off the original director enough he came back to make a fourth one which retconned the third one

Doesn't the second movie ignore everything that happened in the first after the summary?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

Doesn't the second movie ignore everything that happened in the first after the summary?

It does in a general sequel sense, not in a "Ators 50 words in the film are mostly talking about the brother he grew up with alongside his biological parents and the events of the first two films didnt happen at all"

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Easily my favorite host segment of the revival. GypsyGrimace :stonk:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Just starting the Gauntlet and holy poo poo "When visiting Bakersfield: reconsider" just about destroyed me and my wife.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Easily my favorite host segment of the revival. GypsyGrimace :stonk:

I think overall the host segments in S12 are miles ahead of the ones in S11.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/MST3K/status/1067911230021500928

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think overall the host segments in S12 are miles ahead of the ones in S11.

They really have seemed to settle down and find their flow, but history has shown it generally takes a season after a big change for the show to get back its footing (and it's never bad until then).

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The article posted:

Patton Oswalt, who plays TV’s Son of TV’s Frank, on top of being one of the world’s great Geek Overlords, said we need to be on the lookout for two movies, Atlantic Rim and one which has the chance to become a Torgo-level classic. “Killer Fish. Oh my god. Killer Fish was the one they found this season that reaches the levels of Manos and Beast of Yucca Flats where you’re like this is literally not a film. How is this a movie? How was this released? Is this a movie? What are we watching? It’s really that level.”

That's surprising. I actually thought Killer Fish was the best actual movie of the season. Granted, that's a pretty low bar, but I thought it bordered on downright watchable.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Powered Descent posted:

That's surprising. I actually thought Killer Fish was the best actual movie of the season. Granted, that's a pretty low bar, but I thought it bordered on downright watchable.

in terms of being shot maybe but i had a hard time following what was going on in terms of a narrative structure, versus just characters making decisions that make little sense and then just accepting this sequence of decisions

like, lee majors jumping into the lake to go gently caress up bad heart guy's boat - in what world does this decision make any sort of sense at all? thank god he had plot armor

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also how the bad guy dies because the piranhas just happen to attack the boat itself. Which would mean that everyone left on the boat would actually be screwed if they were doing that.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this! posted:

Also how the bad guy dies because the piranhas just happen to attack the boat itself. Which would mean that everyone left on the boat would actually be screwed if they were doing that.

iirc there's a reveal that the inflatable boat valve is in majors hand. so he swam to the boat, got conked on the head with an oar a few times, ripped the valve off the boat with his bare hands, then swam back because it was necessary for the true villain of the movie to receive vengeance

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That was very poorly conveyed because I saw the valve but I had no idea if that was supposed to be what sank the boat.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Proteus Jones posted:

Are you saying you missed seeing them, or you think they went over your head?

Because I assure you it didn't go over your head, it's just a little absurdist comedy. Because, well why wouldn't Nessie wear a cowboy hat while drinking a piña colada?
Yeah, I assumed there was more to it than absurdity.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

That was very poorly conveyed because I saw the valve but I had no idea if that was supposed to be what sank the boat.

I swear they showed a fish bite the raft too. It's funny that Patton's favorites are the ones I found least interesting. It was only 6 episodes though, so I guess there was a decent chance of that occurring.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Something like 40 minutes of Killer Fish had to get hacked out so it could fit into the episode. There's probably a lot of missing goofiness and scenes that explain things.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Something like 40 minutes of Killer Fish had to get hacked out so it could fit into the episode. There's probably a lot of missing goofiness and scenes that explain things.

You're probably right, but part of me hopes what was excised was actually several more barely relevant side plots.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The Shield of Mordor? Where's the lawsuit?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Are we going to get another season, Jonah escaped :ohdear:

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

oh yeah, so the live tour that just happened takes place after season 12?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Chokes McGee posted:

Are we going to get another season, Jonah escaped :ohdear:

Pff, that's nothing, last season he died.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Pff, that's nothing, last season he died.

Well yeah but that was different, he was alive afterwards!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

luxury handset posted:

like, lee majors jumping into the lake to go gently caress up bad heart guy's boat - in what world does this decision make any sort of sense at all? thank god he had plot armor

That part ruled. The guy going "gently caress it, I HAVE to go kick this guy's rear end" and then the villain's panic as he realizes he's gonna make it to him.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wait, are we supposed to believe he actually has a bad heart? I thought that was supposed to be another con.

And yeah, I think youre supposed to assume Lee Majors character ripped the valve off the dingy with his bare hands.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Breadallelogram posted:

oh yeah, so the live tour that just happened takes place after season 12?

That's how I'm head-canon-ing it at the moment.

I hope they actually show Kinga and Max doing a few riffs next season. I liked the mirror-universe Clay and Frank thing and the time when Pearl riffed with the bots.

I've found MST3K is an easy thing to put on in the background during the baby's fussiest "Need all the attention" hours, so I threw on The Crawling Eye last night. I can see why people don't like season 1, but I still like how charmingly goofy things like RAM chips and Dumb Dragon Gypsy, whose puppet is so loud you can't hear what she's saying. It's also fun to watch the way the show has grown.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I like going back to the old shows and finding riffs that didn't stand out but are now hilarious for some reason. Today's example was The Leech Woman and the Great White Hunter our leads hire shouts what is clearly gibberish at his native porters. Mike: "Clearly, he speaks African."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Real Africa....HOLLYWOOD AFRICA!