Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

Project Fi is now officially Google Fi and the increased phone compatibility is official.

https://fi.google.com/compatibility

huh! I had no idea this was happening. I checked my version phone and while it would work, it wont switch between networks. Not sure that is workable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Just a reminder that we have a Fi thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747918

Thanks!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

A caseology ambassador (?) sent me a 20% off code for any of their products on amazon. No idea if it actually works but here it is X94XFPOW

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
i ordered a pixel 3 on thanksgiving and poo poo hasn't even shipped yet i'm mad

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

A caseology ambassador (?) sent me a 20% off code for any of their products on amazon. No idea if it actually works but here it is X94XFPOW

i used this, thank you friend

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I guess it's multi-use as I used it also thanks.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

ugh whatever jeez posted:

How awful is the MIUI skin on Xiaomi phones these days? Thinking about getting Mi 8 (Pixel isn't sold here in this euroland)
It's fine on my Mix 2S. Nothing I really dislike about it and I've never seen an ad (but I don't use any of Xiaomi's apps besides the dialer). And I really like their gestures implementation

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
One of assistant's suggestions was "tell me a joke." I went ahead and set it up as a subscription so I could get a cornball joke to tell my coworker every day. It worked correctly until couple of days ago when it started doing this:

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

butt dickus posted:

One of assistant's suggestions was "tell me a joke." I went ahead and set it up as a subscription so I could get a cornball joke to tell my coworker every day. It worked correctly until couple of days ago when it started doing this:

I think one of the most annoying things about Google services is the inconsistency of their behaviour. I'm working on integrating some software I'm working on with the Google Place Search API at the moment, and I've been using the same search string to search for the same known location repeatedly during testing. Once every few days, I search the same string I always do, and get zero results back. Then, I have to search a slightly modified version of the string in order to get the result I’m looking for. The next day (or sometimes 5 minutes later), the other search string is returning results again. The same happens with Google Home/Assistant, stuff that works will suddenly stop working, or the specific phrasing you’re using will stop working, and you have to try saying it different ways to get it to do you what you want.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I didn't type anything,, though. It was one of the starting suggestions in the bubbles at the bottom. It also has a custom notification with a smiley face and "get ready to laugh."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

chippy posted:

I think one of the most annoying things about Google services is the inconsistency of their behaviour. I'm working on integrating some software I'm working on with the Google Place Search API at the moment, and I've been using the same search string to search for the same known location repeatedly during testing. Once every few days, I search the same string I always do, and get zero results back. Then, I have to search a slightly modified version of the string in order to get the result I’m looking for. The next day (or sometimes 5 minutes later), the other search string is returning results again. The same happens with Google Home/Assistant, stuff that works will suddenly stop working, or the specific phrasing you’re using will stop working, and you have to try saying it different ways to get it to do you what you want.

I feel like they must have engineered every product they have to just sometimes not work. That's the only explanation I can think of for why swiping left on the home screen on my old phone would sometimes just not work at all. And then a few minutes later, it would work fine and I get the news stories Google thinks I'm interested in.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've been having some odd issues with Google Assistant and especially Android Auto.

Me driving: Hey Google, text my wife.
Google, male voice: OK, what would you like it to say?
Me: What do you want for dinner?
Google, female voice: What would you like your message to say?
Me frustrated: What do you want for dinner?
Google, male voice: Your message says... do you want to send it or change it?
Me: Send it.
Google, female voice: OK, message sent.

Also, after I do voice activated "Hey Google" for the first time while driving with Auto it will no longer let me use the activation phrase for the rest of the drive. It's a one time thing per drive. I can hit the button on my steering wheel, but still.

Apple Car Play is really a ton better and I miss it but jeez Louise I didn't realize how far behind Auto was.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Google is quicking losing me for poo poo like this. I have similar problems as iddqd discribes:

Me: OK Google send a hangouts message to Olivia, I am on my way home.

Google: Who do you want to send it to? (while displaying the message I just dictated, correctly showing that it is ready to send to my wife)

Me: Olivia SoDium

Google: OK, got it. Do you want to send it or change it

Me: Send it

So I try being a little smarter

Me: OK Google send a hangouts message to Olivia SoDium I am on my way home

Google: OK, got it. (Sends a message to my wife that says "SoDium I am on my way home")

Sometimes I just lose my poo poo with it

Google: Who do you want to send it to?

Me: Oh, I don't know. Maybe Olivia SoDium. The only Olivia in my contacts. The only person I regularly send messages to this way, this time of evening. My MOTHER loving WIFE YOU STUPID PIECE OF poo poo!

Google: ...

The worst part is when it was just Google Now, it works perfectly. Once it became the google assistant, it has become an unreliable garbage heap.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Google: [Friend] says the table is ready for you when you get here. Do you want to reply?
Me: Yes.
Google: Okay, what's the message?
Me: Thank you.
Google: You're welcome! *ends prompts*

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Okay Google hasn't worked for me for a week now. Neither at home nor when using Auto. I go to retrain my voice and it gets stuck at a screen saying "please wait".

I like Auto when it works, but half the time there's some weird issue I'm dealing with. Just play my music and alert me of traffic!

Edit: ^^^I laughed when that happened to me. ^^^

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
(Don't Marry Her by The Beautiful South is playing thru Android Auto)
"OK Google," *bloop bloop* "what year was this song released?"
September is a song by Earth, Wind & Fire, and was released as a single in 1978.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Sometimes I just lose my poo poo with it

Google: Who do you want to send it to?

Me: Oh, I don't know. Maybe Olivia SoDium. The only Olivia in my contacts. The only person I regularly send messages to this way, this time of evening. My MOTHER loving WIFE YOU STUPID PIECE OF poo poo!

Google: ...

I've tried getting angry. It said I'm sorry. I'm learning all the time. and then I felt bad for getting angry.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I'm still getting my unfunny jokes every day at 10:30AM

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I'd laugh at the Google rear end results more if Siri weren't so feeble minded. A co-worker uses Bixby :thunk:

This is the result for saying "Hey Siri, laundry in 40" as in I need to move my laundry over in 40 minutes:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

In all fairness to Siri, I can't parse that sentence either.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Made sense to me :shrug:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It doesn't make sense without a poo poo ton of context your phone doesn't have. I just said "Hey google, remind me to get my laundry in 40 minutes" and it handled it just fine because it had a complete sentence to work with.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

It doesn't make sense without a poo poo ton of context your phone doesn't have. I just said "Hey google, remind me to get my laundry in 40 minutes" and it handled it just fine because it had a complete sentence to work with.

I think it not working was less the issue than what it came up with instead. "Fukuoka Shi" does sound like "40" sort of but it had the word 40 spelled out and then just took it in another direction. "Laundry in 40 minutes" worked and was what I was shooting for but :effort:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

If you'd have said that to me as an actual real life person my response would have been

What now?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd expect any assistant to parse that properly.

e: I'm not suggesting Siri isn't a trash fire, either. It has a habit where I'll say "hey Siri, navigate me to The Pizza Place on Nearby Avenue" and it'll respond with "okay, The Pizza Place, which one do you want?" and present me with a list that doesn't contain the one I asked for. Said place exists, is closer than the rest of the locations it gives me, and is listed correctly in Maps.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 29, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Deep dive into the P3's updated portrait mode including a chronenberg case that held 5 phones for different perspectives.

https://ai.googleblog.com/2018/11/learning-to-predict-depth-on-pixel-3.html?m=1

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
This conversation is making me laugh because all these posts are why I'm abandoning ios and siri now that I use a voice assistant almost every day.

:negative:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Y'all are verbose. But well understood.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Sure would be NEAT if Google would ship my phone that was ordered 7 days ago. Or have any semblance of customer service.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Zigmidge posted:

This conversation is making me laugh because all these posts are why I'm abandoning ios and siri now that I use a voice assistant almost every day.

:negative:

Google Assistant actually works surprisingly well, but it is still best for simple obvious things. "Set an alarm for 6am", "remind me to check the oven in 20 minutes", "what's the weather today" all work flawlessly every time in my experience. More open-ended things are more hit or miss.

candide
Jun 16, 2002

The Tipping Point

nerve posted:

Sure would be NEAT if Google would ship my phone that was ordered 7 days ago. Or have any semblance of customer service.

Google shipped my phone a week earlier than the initial estimate but it's been sitting in a FedEx facility in my city for 2 straight days :) :) :) :) :) :))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
My 3 XL is supposed to be delivered tomorrow according to FedEx. Fingers crossed.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

bull3964 posted:

Deep dive into the P3's updated portrait mode including a chronenberg case that held 5 phones for different perspectives.

https://ai.googleblog.com/2018/11/learning-to-predict-depth-on-pixel-3.html?m=1

This is cool, thanks. I love reading stuff like this.

I have been really impressed with portrait mode on my P3. Took a wide angle selfie while on a hike with my wife that is one of our best pictures together, and we ended up using it for our Christmas cards this year. While visiting family for Thanksgiving I snapped portrait pictures of a bunch of the kids that look really great.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

sourdough posted:

Google Assistant actually works surprisingly well, but it is still best for simple obvious things. "Set an alarm for 6am", "remind me to check the oven in 20 minutes", "what's the weather today" all work flawlessly every time in my experience. More open-ended things are more hit or miss.

It still seems to get caught up on needing precise phrasing to get what you need to hear. "OK Google what's the next item on my calendar" gets a 'I don't know how to help with that' response, for example, but say "good morning" and it'll read out the news, weather and your agenda for the day.

Android Auto will happily intercept Facebook Messenger notifications, read them aloud, and ask if you want to respond. Say "OK Google send a facebook message to (group chat)" and you get a 'I don't know how to help with that" response.

It's an assistant to help you get stuff done, except when it's stupid and it's a voice-control interface, or when it's even stupider and it dumps out a sentence from a Google search result. Who knows which of the three results you'll get!

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
My Pixel XL (1) is being stupid. Any time a WiFi has an indicated strength less than ALL OF IT (and sometimes even then) it refuses to connect, just saying "saved" immediately. Sometimes it does connect and works okay for a bit, but then drops to mobile data and the WiFi network had been disabled. Every other phone/device in my home works fine, and I've had this happen at various places, so the problem is not my router. I've tried forgetting the network, power cycling everything, and today I did a factory reset, none of which helped even temporarily. I'm guessing it's hosed somehow. I am approximately two weeks out of warranty. Any ideas on things I can still try, or should I just contact my retailer, hope they're nice, and get a new phone if they're not?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

Google: [Friend] says the table is ready for you when you get here. Do you want to reply?
Me: Yes.
Google: Okay, what's the message?
Me: Thank you.
Google: You're welcome! *ends prompts*

Can't even get mad when this happens.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
I ordered a Pixel 3 XL on Black Friday and it delivered today. It shipped out on Monday. Hope yours gets processed soon.

Edit: FedEx must be getting backed up, they estimated it would be here yesterday on Monday. As a truck driver that has run FedEx loads, it's amazing anything gets anywhere on time. Packages falling out of trailers and off the loading docks onto the pavement as drivers pull off and seal the trailers. Guess they just scoop them up and put them on the next trailer.

mem fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 30, 2018

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
My least favorite Google Assistant behavior is when I tell it to send a Hangouts message to [wife's first name], it always asks which one. There's only one on my contacts. She's also the only person I ever message on Hangouts. It always asks if maybe I meant [male name which could conceivably be shortened to her name] because some rear end in a top hat with that name sent me email 4 years ago.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

5TonsOfFlax posted:

My least favorite Google Assistant behavior is when I tell it to send a Hangouts message to [wife's first name], it always asks which one. There's only one on my contacts. She's also the only person I ever message on Hangouts. It always asks if maybe I meant [male name which could conceivably be shortened to her name] because some rear end in a top hat with that name sent me email 4 years ago.

Does it still happen if you find and delete that person from https://contacts.google.com/ ?

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Nalin posted:

Does it still happen if you find and delete that person from https://contacts.google.com/ ?

I just did that. That did fix it. At least until somebody with that name emails me again.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Looking for a phone in the less than flagship range price wise. On AT&T/ GSM in SC, USA. Was looking into the Pocophone F1, but seems like I'll only get 2G speeds here. Finding Samsung galaxy s8's for ~$240, but they have LCD shadow. Has anyone ever used one of those apps to reset them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

S8's have an OLED screen, so it's burn-in and there's no way to fix that.

Anyway, just get a Nokia 6.1.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 30, 2018