Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

eke out posted:

as an outsider, this whole process looked like any number of examples I can think of where a corporation/university/website/whatever finds out they're involved with some kind of bigot, reacts poorly, then does the right thing in a way that leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth.
and said right thing only happens after a lot of external pressure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Violently Car posted:

You're not seriously suggesting that people as well-connected as GDQ leadership were unable to ask around about where they could find more information about a person who's been in the community for at least half a decade, are you?

fishmech didn't bring up gdq leadership, he brought up the people who initially reported the discord logs

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
It's cause it started as a dumb slap fight between a pedo and a nazi, and got retweetes from there

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

fool_of_sound posted:

It's cause it started as a dumb slap fight between a pedo and a nazi, and got retweetes from there

Yeah it wasn't done properly at the start because it was just poo poo-slinging.

The extra drama could have been prevented if someone had realized discord screenshots are worthless and dug up the forum posts immediately... but that's hindsight.

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.
Matts post about lack of trust shows a pretty fundimental lack of understanding about what his position is, or why people dont trust stuff from a company. Disapointing he still hasnt learned that after all these years.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
what i'm confused about is why this guy accepted in the first place/took this long to get banned when he's been posting crazy poo poo about muslims for what seems like a long time on a public forum

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the forum stuff got dug up pretty fast anyway, just not fast enough for gdq to not put its foot in its mouth

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

DisDisDis posted:

what i'm confused about is why this guy accepted in the first place/took this long to get banned when he's been posting crazy poo poo about muslims for what seems like a long time on a public forum

I forget how many places it's been mentioned already because I'm following this in like 5 places, but it boils down to "bystander effect". Like, the ban happened and several people were like "oh yeah I knew about that for years that's just how they are" and nobody thought to bring it up to GDQ as "hey these guys are being shitheads"

That is likely as much on GDQ for previously having whatever that "we won't ban people for stuff outside of the event" thing that may or may not be still in effect? Or maybe there's some confusion about the difference between "banned from attending" and "we won't let you stream"? :iiam:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
im not super plugged into this stuff but i've heard poo poo talk about whitegoose/the elite for a while so it kinda seems like it's an open secret that this guy sucks and the only reason anything got done is because the discord stuff blew up on twitter.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

axeil posted:

GDQ needs to just pre-emptively ban all incels/alt-right/hateful ideology people. There's no excuse for allowing them into spaces that are intended to be open for all people.

I'm sure they wouldn't let in KKK members because their mere presence there indicates a tacit endorsement of their views because their view is that only people like them should exist.

They need to be hyper vigilant because gamer culture in general is trash and if GDQ really wants to be an inclusive space they have to go above and beyond in taking out the trash.

edit: To clarify, one of the reasons I love GDQ/speedrunning is because its the antithesis of most toxic gamer culture. GDQ has to proactively maintain that because the nazis are actively trying to destroy it like they destroy everything they touch.

In addition to everything you just said, the guys that run GDQ really need to understand that when they put on these events they not only have to put the best foot forward for themselves, but for the charities they are raising money for. Both Doctors Without Borders and Prevent Cancer can't be associated with a bunch of incels that joke about checking for adams apples on girls or talk openly about "the Jewish question" during a run. At best it will force the two charities to sever their relationship to GDQ (and keep in mind -- Prevent Cancer at least does a lot of behind the scenes work for the event) and at worst cause them to not accept any money raised. So you HAVE to take a no tolerance policy on this kind of poo poo, or else it will really lead to trouble down the road. Not to mention that any nazis at the event making things much less safe for everyone involved.

Basically GDQ needs a PR guy, and they need one fast.

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 28, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

DisDisDis posted:

im not super plugged into this stuff but i've heard poo poo talk about whitegoose/the elite for a while so it kinda seems like it's an open secret that this guy sucks and the only reason anything got done is because the discord stuff blew up on twitter.

They already knew about RWhiteGoose and his :barf:, the other guy graviton was the subject of investigation.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

They had a non-racism reason to ban grav too I'm pretty sure. He went to SGDQ 2016 without a badge, and like, just held his hand up all the time as if he was holding it. They weren't as strong on badge enforcement and people knew who he was.

Studio fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 29, 2018

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
I've recently discovered Ori and the Blind Forest rando and it is amazing, when this drama dies down I'm going to link the crap out of some super cool runs.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I also set a new WR in Max Payne 3 the other day so I'll post when I'm streaming recording commentary on it. It hasn't been submitted yet since I had problems rendering it but I got it sorted.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Axiom Verge got a TAS and it's pretty cool

Starts out normal enough with just perfect movement and stuff and then once he gets the brown coat and drone swap and just goes completely mental.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

CJacobs posted:

They already knew about RWhiteGoose and his :barf:, the other guy graviton was the subject of investigation.

I'm saying if people knew about Goose and this guy is reasonably well known and has racist posts all over Goose's forum you'd think people would have already known (and if not, should have)

Idk I'm glad they banned him at all though

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Oyster posted:

I've recently discovered Ori and the Blind Forest rando and it is amazing, when this drama dies down I'm going to link the crap out of some super cool runs.

Can you hit me with some now?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
speedrunning hiring a proper PR rep/company
oh no the run got mercykilled.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

if someone makes a chat thread for PWUP next week (i probably will if no one else does) please subtitle it 'I love my dead gay speedrun' tia

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

UraniumAnchor posted:

Keeping most enforcement discussions internal to GDQ makes us look a lot less active than we actually are. Even in this thread there's a lot of either outright incorrect information (not lies, just people getting stuff wrong) or speculation about things that I can't address. I have to be careful even discussing things that I think are 'public knowledge'.

Your PR as an organisation sucks, including this post. When one of your staff members has inadvertently put explicit racism, sexism and transphobia down to "difference of opinion", you might want to consider whether it's right to wade in here going "oh everyone's got the wrong end of the stick due to stuff I can't discuss".

Y'all need to shut up, apologise and start publicly taking this poo poo seriously or your event is going to die on its rear end.

E: I mean come on look at this poo poo! Why is he still talking! https://twitter.com/matt_merkle/status/1067872907190243329

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
PUWP:W hype post
Friday evening will be a run you don't want to miss

If you've never heard of this game don't feel bad, I hadn't either until this runner did it for one of my marathons earlier this year.

I don't want to spoil too much, just know that it's completely perfect in every way.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

KennyMan666 posted:

Starts out normal enough with just perfect movement and stuff and then once he gets the brown coat and drone swap and just goes completely mental.

This is a ridiculous run. Seriously check it out.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

KennyMan666 posted:

The movement tech is ridiculous but I'm honestly surprised there's as few significant skips as there are-- one savewarp to skip getting the grapple beam, and one damage boost to skip the address bomb seems to be the majority of it (to my eye that hasn't played the game in a fair while)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mfcrocker posted:

E: I mean come on look at this poo poo! Why is he still talking! https://twitter.com/matt_merkle/status/1067872907190243329
This is embarrassing to read

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

mfcrocker posted:

Your PR as an organisation sucks, including this post. When one of your staff members has inadvertently put explicit racism, sexism and transphobia down to "difference of opinion", you might want to consider whether it's right to wade in here going "oh everyone's got the wrong end of the stick due to stuff I can't discuss".

Y'all need to shut up, apologise and start publicly taking this poo poo seriously or your event is going to die on its rear end.

yeah, like. it's a genuine issue that gdq needs to confront. y'all can't have it both ways with coolmatty being all 'oh woe is me no one trusts us' all in the open and wading right into the bog himself while also trying to basically front what is and has been a full organization for years now. gdq genuinely used to be pretty much a handful of friends getting together to goof off and have fun for a few days for a good cause, but it's no longer that. this isn't some dumb 'oh gdq isn't fun anymore' bullshit, it's just the truth.

either tighten poo poo up and take responsibility for things or eventually watch it implode due to tweets like that going on. there's a reason why organizations have some sort of public relations branch. once it moved to being a full 'thing' it lost the ability to be all buddy-buddy with every random person that comes along and have people in charge just directly telling people with legit grievances 'sorry that would involve doing something on our end, which we can't' which is outright a lie.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

KennyMan666 posted:

This is fantastic. I tried my hand at speedrunning this game, but could never get the grapple hook jump trick you need to be good at to be consistent. Also shout out to the TASer for leaving the baller as hell soundtrack in the run.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

given past trends with gdq and the people related to it i already have a feeling that this well-meant advice will fall on deaf ears anyways, so whatever

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Coolmatty has been the defacto or dude for a few years now and he's terrible at damage control. Guy needs to step back and find someone else who can do that.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

fool_of_sound posted:

Coolmatty has been the defacto or dude for a few years now and he's terrible at damage control. Guy needs to step back and find someone else who can do that.

matt plz

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

everyone involved with gdq needs to be telling matt to stop tweeting about this immediately

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
If your support for LGBT+ is conditional on you never being criticised then you don't support LGBT+. Easy.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Brother Entropy posted:

everyone involved with gdq needs to be telling matt to stop tweeting about this immediately

Brother Entropy posted:

Brother Entropy posted:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

yikes...

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

because they've literally never ejected people from the event for things that aren't illegal, like "not having a badge on"

what is he even smoking right now matt shut up

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

because they've literally never ejected people from the event for things that aren't illegal, like "not having a badge on"

https://twitter.com/matt_merkle/status/1067952666637152256

this is rapidly moving from 'oh my god stop posting' to 'you prob should delete your account'

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

peaches can get barred from participating because he vomited on a pair of shoes but a person doing actual vile poo poo apparently can't be told 'hey maybe don't show up'

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

unban peaches

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Is he claiming that removing people for reasons other than breaking the law would be the end of GDQ?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

speedrunning burning any goodwill i had to the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

mp5 posted:

unban peaches

freeze peaches