Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Replacing loving Adams with Cletus Van Damme would be so loving amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

gently caress now I wanna rewatch The Shield again too

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Speaking of awesome Olyphant shows everyone needs to go watch Santa Clarita Diet right now.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
When I first started watching Deadwood on Netflix DVD in 2007 my first thought on seeing Olyphant on screen was "Hey, it's the scummy bad guy from The Girl Next Door!"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

*fistbump

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Wait for the blu-rays. Out on December 18th.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Wait for the blu-rays. Out on December 18th.

Oh thank God I can finally get rid of my mismatched, differently sized DVD season cases.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

When I first started watching Deadwood on Netflix DVD in 2007 my first thought on seeing Olyphant on screen was "Hey, it's the scummy bad guy from The Girl Next Door!"
I thought "hey, it's that giant ham from Scream 2."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The cool dude drug dealer (who turns out to not be quite as cool as he seems) from Go

Go was such a fun film.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Rewatching Deadwood now that I'm done my True Detective rewatch. What a wild change, going from Season 2 of TD where the lines are often bizarre to DW where each line is perfect

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Go seemed like it was 4 hours long when I watched it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Go was such a fun film.
It's not Amway, J-Ru. It's confederated products!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

It's not Amway, J-Ru. It's confederated products!

God that whole scene was so incredibly unsettling, William Fichtner is fantastic as a creepy dude.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

The cool dude drug dealer (who turns out to not be quite as cool as he seems) from Go

Go was such a fun film.

I saw Go during an all-night mystery movie screening* back in August. I’d never heard of it before and it was surprisingly good, even if describing it to someone would make it sound like Pulp Fiction Jr.

* so the idea was we had no idea what any of them would be until they started. the other four were After Hours, The Odd Couple (dude had just died), Rollerball, and Rumble in the Bronx

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I saw it when it first came out and while the Tarantino influence was pretty clear, unlike a lot of stuff that came out trying to ape his style at the time you could tell the movie could stand on its own two feet. Probably helped by having Doug Liman directing.

Edit: I haven't been to a mystery movie marathon in years but God we used to have the best time - the movies were almost always deliberately chosen to be terrible or weird but you'd get the odd gem in there as well. That's how I first saw The Story of Ricky which is a life-changing experience :allears:

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/ianfrisch/status/1066502294961823744?s=21

He left after S1 but still: gentlemen, watch the felt.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Awww man, goddammit 2018 you piece of crap.

Gonna rewatch The Heist in his memory.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

A lot of people from this show are dead now

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Brian Cox is still kicking, bless him.

Bummer about Ricky Jay. He was always compelling on screen. Go see House of Games if you haven't already.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
There's a terrific Ricky Jay documentary called Deceptive Practice that you can stream on Amazon Prime.

RIP. He was one of my favorite celebrities -- a magician par excellence, character actor, writer, historian, raconteur. Fascinating guy. I always wished I could have seen him perform live.

More information here: https://deadline.com/2018/11/ricky-jay-dead-magician-boogie-nights-deadwood-david-mamet-deceptive-practices-1202508394/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I finished Deadwood last night, I forgot how abruptly it ends.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

"Should've said something pretty" is still a great ending line to me even though things were abrupt. It is a really important and warm character development for Al

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Speaking of endings, I just finished the Season 1 finale. It's insanely good, and I think the best finale to a season I've ever seen.

I think I watched this show for the first time too young. I wanted blood and back-stabbing, the show appeals to me more now.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Professor Shark posted:

Speaking of endings, I just finished the Season 1 finale. It's insanely good, and I think the best finale to a season I've ever seen.

I think I watched this show for the first time too young. I wanted blood and back-stabbing, the show appeals to me more now.

I think this may be TV’s Don Quixote for how well the rewatches hold up.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

That Spanish guy... he fought the windmills?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Alright, fine, you all got me to rewatch Deadwood after a decade. I guess I wasn't planning on doing anything productive for a while.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Rocksicles posted:

That Spanish guy... he fought the windmills?

The anecdote goes that you read Don Quixote as a young man and it's a comedy. Read it in middle-age and the first half is funny, but the second half is sad. Read it when you're retired and it's a tragedy.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Alright, fine, you all got me to rewatch Deadwood after a decade. I guess I wasn't planning on doing anything productive for a while.

I seriously think I need to before the movie.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

I really, really need to echo these statements.... I've still barely begun to watch the second season of Deadwood yet, in part because the entirety of season 1, and the ending especially, was just honestly so much better and deeper and more complete and more meaningful. Threads in the story that seemed a little bit "scattershot" to me the first couple times I watched the show like 10+ years ago are now revealed as being utterly precise and integral to the story as a whole.

And you also notice certain quiet moments of beauty that break your heart on this show. Watching Jewel fall in the thoroughfare, and then pick herself back up again.. Or the moment that passes late in the season in the morning sun betweem Al, swigging whiskey to hide his eyes going red-rimmed, on the balcony and a severely dilapidated Reverend Smith halfway between a fit and some sort of religious terror/bliss. Tons of little amazing moments like that.

There's also the fact that when I first saw this show I was in my early twenties and was a lot more ignorant about 19th century American politics, and significantly I did not remotely understand just what a shattering, traumatizing, horrifying thing The Civil War actually was for America. I didn't truly understand a whole lot beyond the basic facts, which is like nothing. Since then I've seen documentaries and read books and listened to lectures (not that it was a passion of mine but I just hadn't quite 'gotten there' before in terms of having a solid grasp on the gravity of the events).

Even though there's almost no direct mention of the Civil War in all of Season 1, it definitely looms over the characters and the events the entire time. Kinda like Al's picture of Lincoln, it's always there and yet everyone very pointedly has no loving interest in talking about it. And I do think the reference to the picture of Lincoln which before was only shot in the background a bit blurrily before that scene (and almost forever after that scene) is Milch making a direct reference to the way the show handles the Civil War - as in the background and always there (Al can't take it down even if it does make the sale of oval office go down).

There's a lot of other cool stuff I noticed about season 1, but this post is too long already. I will say that I've been watching Westworld for the first time since I finished Season 1 of Deadwood, and boy does that vision of the west seem totally antiseptic and bizarrely clean compared to Deadwood; but then I guess that's the point, and what they were going for. Leastways I hope it was.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

The anecdote goes that you read Don Quixote as a young man and it's a comedy. Read it in middle-age and the first half is funny, but the second half is sad. Read it when you're retired and it's a tragedy.

My post is the Simpsons.

Homer: This is my quest. I'm like that guy. That Spanish guy. You know, he fought the windmill...
Marge: Don Quixote?
Homer: No, that's not it. What's-his-name, the Man of La Mancha.
Marge: Don Quixote.
Homer: No!
Marge: I really think that was the character's name. Don Quixote.
Homer: Fine! I'll look it up! [heads off and consults a reference]
Marge: Well, who was it?
Homer: Never mind.

Personally, I've never read it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rocksicles posted:

Personally, I've never read it.

You should, it's very good (wow, controversial take there from me, huh?)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm still waiting for the Terry Gilliam movie

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm still waiting for the Terry Gilliam movie

But uh, The Fisher King came out like... at least 25 years ago, right? I really thought that was about as perfect as a Terry Gilliam take on Don Quixote could be, and Williams had the perfect combo of manic/frightening comedic energy that keeps him moving forward always, combined with the sort of unspeakable sadness and sense of trauma and lost dreams that belie the character.

Anyway I mean, I couldn't really think of a more perfect Quixote than Williams and it's kind of a relief that he already made a Quixote-ish film with Gilliam already. I doubt this new Gilliam Quixote flick will be like, better than The Fisher King - either as a rough Quixote adaptation or a film in general. Which is honestly a bit sad.

edit: Quick pronunciation question: I know that Quixote is pronounced "Key-Ho-Tay" (more or less, anyway) but what about the word 'quixotic'? I always pronounced it as "Quick-Sot-Ick" (again more or less) but now I am wondering whether the odd (for English) pronunciation holds true; maybe it's "Key-Hot-Ick" or something..

kaworu fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 29, 2018

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote came out like 6 months ago and no one really liked it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

kaworu posted:

edit: Quick pronunciation question: I know that Quixote is pronounced "Key-Ho-Tay" (more or less, anyway) but what about the word 'quixotic'? I always pronounced it as "Quick-Sot-Ick" (again more or less) but now I am wondering whether the odd (for English) pronunciation holds true; maybe it's "Key-Hot-Ick" or something..

I always assumed it was "key-hot-ic," but my 1901 Webster's Unabridged Argument Settler says your way is right.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

kaworu posted:

Basically, the difference the Quixote (key-HO-tay) and quixotic (QUICKS-ah-tick) is mostly down to English being a silly language that steals words from other languages because it’s too lazy to make its own!
:eng101:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Quixote is Spanish, so it's "key ho tey." Quixotic is an English word created by mashing the Spanish word and an English suffix so you can pronounce it however the hell you want because it will never make sense because both parts come from different languages.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Now if only they'd bring back Carnivale.

Like, I'm not even joking, no other show has made me fiend for another season more than that one. That cliffhanger was absolutely brutal.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 30, 2018

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Cojawfee posted:

Quixote is Spanish, so it's "key ho tey." Quixotic is an English word created by mashing the Spanish word and an English suffix so you can pronounce it however the hell you want because it will never make sense because both parts come from different languages.

This blew my mind.

kaworu posted:

cool stuff

I want to hear more of this, if you'd like to share. I just did a rewatch a couple months ago and I was amazed at how many cool moments I remember were packed into that first season, but I don't get much of the Civil War context aside from Racist Steve and Hostetler. I don't think I've ever noticed Al's picture of Lincoln, or thought about where the characters are supposed to hail from. I guess people from Montana fought for the union? What was so utterly horrifying about the Civil War, anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Uh, as the Doctor screams at God during his "evening prayers", a lot of people died terribly for no reason.