Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlowableSlampiglet
May 24, 2017
https://twitter.com/StephenDFisher/status/1067807771406540802

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Lightning Knight posted:

Conservatives aren't funny, and I stand by the idea that it's primarily because they don't put effort in because they think you can say "so those [slur for marginalized group] am I right?" and get laughs. There's a bunch of other reasons too but there's a reason why conservatives aren't popular comedians outside of their own conservative base.
They're not funny because jokes about how put-upon your boss and landlord are, can not possibly ever be funny. I mean that's the primary reason, not that they're not putting in the effort (some of them do, and they still aren't funny).

Libertarians can occasionally be funny when they're making fun of politicians, even if it's coming from a place that abhors the very existence of a society. PJ O'Rourke was funny once upon a time, for example, before he became an ordinary conservative dickhead.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Can someone ask a UKer if remain is functionally the same as no deal? Maybe there is some missing context.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Imagine 4 deals on the edge of a cliff. Brexit works the same way.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Wow!

Lol I remember reading about that problem and thinking "ok but when would that ever come up"

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

TGLT posted:

Condorcet paradox is a situation in which the majority collectively prefers choice A over choice B, choice B over choice C, and choice C over choice A. So A>B>C>A>B>C>A...

It's not that people are individually changing their opinion constantly, I mean not necessarily, but more that no one option is well liked by enough people.
Thanks, but I think I felt better when I didn't understand it.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

PJ O'Rourke was funny once upon a time, for example
Someone's going to give me red text over this, aren't they.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Can someone ask a UKer if remain is functionally the same as no deal? Maybe there is some missing context.

Remain means stay in the EU, no deal means Brexit but also zero sweet heart arrangements or any of that poo poo. It's also referred to as a hard Brexit. edit: I'm fairly certain, I ain't from the UK and really only read about Brexit when I want to read about people making worse decisions than me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lightning Knight posted:

Conservatives aren't funny, and I stand by the idea that it's primarily because they don't put effort in because they think you can say "so those [slur for marginalized group] am I right?" and get laughs. There's a bunch of other reasons too but there's a reason why conservatives aren't popular comedians outside of their own conservative base.

Yeah, there's a million reasons why conservative humor generally isn't funny but the gist of it is that they're really not putting in the effort. Its not comedy from a political view point or with a political slant. Its political rhetoric vaguely disguised as jokes. And I think you can find stuff like that on the left too, that's just dry and only really speaks to the people who feel super strongly with the rhetoric. But that's like all conservative humor is.

I mean, the first 90 seconds of that video doesn't even try and tell a joke and just complains about being the victim of comedy and making a bold stand for comedic... american values? Its satire that doesn't even know its satire.

Giggy posted:

Is Red Eye with Greg Gutfeld still going strong?

I think it got cancelled this year. He hadn't hosted for a few years but now he has his own Sunday night show that is basically the same thing with less sex and drug jokes.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Lightning Knight posted:

I totally disagree that this is an accepted given and accurate description of the world and that's a big part of the issue. There's evidence to suggest that politicians can shape the opinion of the electorate and that the electorate responds to "what Democrats ought to believe" when prominent Democrats argue for a given policy.

Edit: wow gently caress everyone who voted for that guy over Barbara Lee. Woooooooow.

I'll grant that it can work that way as well. But the good poo poo? The stuff that actually makes the loving world better, that tends to happen when the people get rowdy and demand it. What, do you think that the politicians back in the early days of the labor movement just decided to pass a bunch of laws to protect workers rights and safety? No they did it because it because the workers demanded it. They got rowdy and made it clear that they either get that or there would be hell to pay.

People talk about how there is all this support for progressive ideas. The problem is that there is a difference between people offering vague support for a thing and people demanding a thing or else. Until people start doing that you are correct the politicians are going to do what ever they think is right and ignore the voters.

That's why I say if you really want to change things, the way you do it isn't complaining about the current Democrats it's by getting out and putting better ones in office. And yeah I get it. the game is rigged, it's not fair, the establishment is going to fight back. No loving poo poo! Power has never surrendered willingly it's only when they feel that they have no choice.

The thing is that the American electorate isn't together on this stuff. They aren't demanding a certain thing they are demanding multiple contradictory things and the ones being most vociferous and active about it aren't the left, and it's not the young. It's the right. If you really want to see progress towards a better and more just world you need to be doing whatever you can to encourage people to get engaged. To buy into better ideas. To get better politicians elected.

Kind like what the DSA and the "Justice" democrats are doing.

Because as long as you continue to wait for some savior to come and inspire people. you're going to be disappointed with the process and the progress. Which is kind of the establishment's trick, convince you that nothing will change, both sides are the same and your voice doesn't matter. And if you accept the premise that change only comes from the top down they're right. So don't accept that premise, it's bullshit, it's demonstrably bullshit. LBJ didn't force the Civil Rights Act down the throats of a racist congress because he was some sort of enlightened saint, he did it because he knew that if he didn't get it done the country wasn't going to tear itself apart because black people were done putting up with that level of injustice and had organized themselves into a force that couldn't be silenced.

Skex fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 29, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

They're not funny because jokes about how put-upon your boss and landlord are, can not possibly ever be funny. I mean that's the primary reason, not that they're not putting in the effort (some of them do, and they still aren't funny).

Libertarians can occasionally be funny when they're making fun of politicians, even if it's coming from a place that abhors the very existence of a society. PJ O'Rourke was funny once upon a time, for example, before he became an ordinary conservative dickhead.

yes minister is still my go-to for Good Conservative-Leaning Comedy, although that's arguably coming from as much the libertarian angle as anything

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Thanks, but I think I felt better when I didn't understand it.

I suspect the problem is that Hard-Brexiteers who prefer No Deal out of the three would still prefer Remain to May's Deal (May's Deal includes all the stuff about the EU they hate like movement of people and commercial regulations but the UK loses its say over them.)

So you've got Remainers who would rather get something (May's Deal) than nothing (No Deal)
But then you have Hard-Brexiteers who would rather get nothing (Remain) than something (May's Deal, which to them is worse than nothing).
Then you've got the middle who support May's Deal but don't want to Remain and are willing to take No Deal (in other words they want to leave and don't care how)

So Remain > May > No Deal
And May > No Deal > Remain
But also
No Deal > Remain > May

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 29, 2018

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1067852638509772800?s=21

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I also want legal immigration. I just want that legality to be just showing up to a post office and registering and then if you don't break the law for five years BAM citizenship.

I didn't and probably won't read but I don't see how accepting money from the teargas lobby means you can't criticize said product being used on kids. Isn't it more shocking he did speak out instead of being like YEAH GAS THE KIDS SELL MORE GAS THEY GIVE ME MONEY

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, there's a million reasons why conservative humor generally isn't funny but the gist of it is that they're really not putting in the effort. Its not comedy from a political view point or with a political slant. Its political rhetoric vaguely disguised as jokes. And I think you can find stuff like that on the left too, that's just dry and only really speaks to the people who feel super strongly with the rhetoric. But that's like all conservative humor is.

family guy and south park are frequently extremely conservative humor and I'm not going to say they are funny and I feel like I'd rather die than watch family guy at this point but they are popular and well liked, even among nominal non-conservatives. They are mainstream at least.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

family guy and south park are frequently extremely conservative humor and I'm not going to say they are funny and I feel like I'd rather die than watch family guy at this point but they are popular and well liked, even among nominal non-conservatives. They are mainstream at least.

tbh I think they're more libertarian than conservative, which doesn't make them better, but it definitely explains why they're popular.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, the first 90 seconds of that video doesn't even try and tell a joke and just complains about being the victim of comedy and making a bold stand for comedic... american values? Its satire that doesn't even know its satire.

I think it got cancelled this year. He hadn't hosted for a few years but now he has his own Sunday night show that is basically the same thing with less sex and drug jokes.

Yeah, when they unveil "the Antifa" in a cage I was like... isn't this what you do when you're making fun of people that hate Antifa?

Bondii
May 31, 2003
King of The Cider Farm

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

family guy and south park are frequently extremely conservative humor

LOL at the idea that they are "EXTREMELY" conservative humor. They're center-right.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Tough Crowd was funny a lot of the time and while I'm sure a lot of those guys considered themselves apolitical, the way that manifests in men, especially white men, especialy comedians, tends to just be conservatism.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

The guys who shot the gas were probably even wearing clothing and drove there in cars!

I bet they even eat food in their spare time!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

In theory I think taking money from people you hate and using it to implement policies that hurts them owns, but I also don't trust him to do that lol

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Family Guy is generally agreed to be liberal on balance, tho of course that's center right politically it's not "conservative," they just sometimes have weird lovely social opinions.

South Park is basically the platonic ideal of douchebro "lol I called him a slur, laugh at my amazing humor." The only episode of South Park I ever liked was the one about World of Warcraft.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I haven't watched either in forever but like I wouldn't necessarily dispute that. And like there's plenty of comics out there who are conservatives. And you can probably find plenty of conservative or "centrist" or "liberal" or "succ" or whatever themes and jokes in plenty of comedy if you're looking.

But like this stuff that tries to be a counter to The Daily Show isn't that. Its just rhetoric trying to even the odds. And like, whatever you think of Stephen Colbert and John Oliver they were comedians first and the politics came out of it, or just worked their way in as they became more and more relevant. That's not what that trailer is doing. Or Crowder or Gutfeld or Watters or whoever. They're just trying to "even the sides"and that trailer out right spends 75% of its time saying as much instead of trying to make you laugh.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lemming posted:

In theory I think taking money from people you hate and using it to implement policies that hurts them owns, but I also don't trust him to do that lol

ehh, i have no particular reason at this exact moment to believe Booker is Bad On Immigration

and his pharma/finance problems run considerably deeper than "received thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars in donation money"

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

How do you figure Family Guy as conservative? For comparison, SNL is much more conservative, both in the jokes, and in the direction by its creator, and it gave us Adam Sandler, Victoria Jackson (:eyepop:), Norm MacDonald, Dennis Miller and probably some other 90s white male cast members I'm forgetting about. Yes there are also plenty of liberal voices and jokes on the show, so its general them over time is as a "truth in the middle" thing even more than South Park, which takes some stands no matter how college sophomore libertarian they are.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 29, 2018

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1067950048162529280

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

stop

talking

i mean, don't actually stop talking, i hate you mr corsi and everything you have ever stood for, and your suffering and flippability fill me with joy

but gently caress, how goddamn stupid can you be

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Shockingly, I could not find as much as I thought by trying to google Chevy Chase's presumptively horrible political opinions.

Also, Rob Schneider apparently became a Republican in 2013, so thank God for that.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Speaking of Comedy

They have their own Onion

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheBabylonBee/status/1059482977892102145
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheBabylonBee/status/1060199048030826496
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheBabylonBee/status/1060290801249456130
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheBabylonBee/status/1063144603358883840
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheBabylonBee/status/1063469245328224256
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheBabylonBee/status/1064669654185054208
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheBabylonBee/status/1065303835772481536
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheBabylonBee/status/1067191269854797824
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheBabylonBee/status/1067531007128088576
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheBabylonBee/status/1067568763535482880

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Yeah, its gonna be fun to see if this is legit

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lemming posted:

I kind of have a question about how deep you can reasonably hold a politician accountable for what's done not by the people who donated to him but by people who used the product the donator made. I mean, if you want to criticize Booker for taking donations from a weapons manufacturer (or something) at all I think that's fair game and I'd probably get on board. But like, he certainly had no reason to imagine they'd be used against refugee children at the border. But maybe he thought they'd be used against protestors or to quell revolutions in foreign countries or something so... I dunno. The framing just feels very opportunistic and misleading.

I'm also kinda confused by the reporting. It reads like Booker already refunded most of what was donated but there's no indication of when or why. It just all feels kind of disjointed and without any real effort to figure out what was going on?

I'm not really defending Booker here. I'm open to the idea that maybe he should at the very least refund donations and make a public statement. But like... I'm really not sure. Has he already? And like, what the hell is Safariland? It sounds like maybe they're some kind of cleverly worded weapons manufacturer? I probably don't want my politician taking their money, even if I don't really see a direct line of criticism to the border.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ok I actually laughed at this one.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Isn't... isn't that kind of the moral of the movie?

You know... with out all the sexist words.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
But doing shameworthy things doesn't mean you should shamed, ugh!

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lightning Knight posted:

South Park is basically the platonic ideal of douchebro "lol I called him a slur, laugh at my amazing humor." The only episode of South Park I ever liked was the one about World of Warcraft.

They just did a two-parter that brought back Al Gore and Manbearpig that basically picked on themselves for getting the climate change thing wrong however many years ago they did the first Manbearpig episode

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Lightning Knight posted:

Ok I actually laughed at this one.

:thermidor:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

They just did a two-parter that brought back Al Gore and Manbearpig that basically picked on themselves for getting the climate change thing wrong however many years ago they did the first Manbearpig episode

Yeah but they don't get credit for this because when they did the original they were way more culturally relevant. :colbert:

it's me, I'm the baddie.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

For the sake of argument could you argue that's the relative equivalent of the ever popular these days "hey, everyone was kind of a racist nazi on the internet 10 years ago" thing?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Family Guy loves to make a rapist likable and use rape in general as a punch line or a gag, among other 80s style punching downwards humor on racial stereotypes and random shock violence. It'll try to pretend its better than it is with like some weird melodramatics over a dog staying dead for a while or dumb time travel plots, but its not so vile ren and stimpy kind of humor for aging gen Xers and adult swim stoners that made it a perfect rebound on Fox.

It may have loved to rag on Dubya back in the day, but this is the same show that said the world would die in some kind of right wing apocalypse if 9/11 didn't happen. Too bad he thought the ring leader would be W.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

This is one of those things that I'm pretty sure it's extremely hilarious but it's also so insane I'm questioning what I have to be missing

You wouldn't just go on tv and do this right?? He's just incredibly stupid and this is hilarious right?????