Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You get that if you lived in a world where the house bill where illegal immigration was a felony was the one that passed you'd be crying "those useless dems! all they had to do was vote for a useless short fence to have stopped this, but they'd rather murder babies I guess! honestly this is what they wanted" or something.

They could have filibustered it dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Chomskyan posted:

Do you ever try to actually contend with facts that threaten your worldview? Or is this "fox news framing" thought-terminating cliche you employ the only coping mechanism you have?

Like you are literally paroting a fox news talking point. Like I know you didn't look through 12 year old bills yourself, you literally found that point by having fox news feed it to you so you could fall hook line and sinker into it's framing, that it was something obama affirmatively wanted instead of the real context that it was a portion of a compromise bill that he denounced.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

eke out posted:

not even close to what i said and you know it

I mean I know what you meant, I just think people should be mad. Every single one of those dollars is going to hurt people, vulnerable, marginalized people. If there is any way whatsoever they could torpedo that money being dispersed, they should do it.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean I know what you meant, I just think people should be mad. Every single one of those dollars is going to hurt people, vulnerable, marginalized people. If there is any way whatsoever they could torpedo that money being dispersed, they should do it.

Again, I'd go as far to say that a stimulus bill using this money that gives 3 dollars and some change to every American would be more favorable to me.

It's money that is actively fueling bigotry

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

MAGA is trying their own late night comedy show

https://mobile.twitter.com/dweckshow/status/1067235162755395589

Featuring Gilbert Godfried

Right wing garbage golems once again proving the universal rule: conservatives have no humor and aren’t funny

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Munkeymon posted:

I understand the point you're trying to make here but I would like to point out that the constitution doesn't give the federal government the power to force states to put random questions on the ballot.

They could pass a law to hold a national nonbinding referendum on any arbitrary date. They could mail it out like they do the census, if they wanted.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Didn't they try to do a Conservative version of The Colbert Report that lasted all of like 3 episodes?

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Like really just think of every underfunded government agency and the idea you're supporting that border fences are more important than all of them

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

an AOL chatroom posted:

Didn't they try to do a Conservative version of The Colbert Report that lasted all of like 3 episodes?

Conservatives aren't funny, and I stand by the idea that it's primarily because they don't put effort in because they think you can say "so those [slur for marginalized group] am I right?" and get laughs. There's a bunch of other reasons too but there's a reason why conservatives aren't popular comedians outside of their own conservative base.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Chomskyan posted:

It's not right wing framing, it's objective fact. And yes, they did vote to support walling off the border my dude.

Obama, Clinton, Schumer

Notably missing: Both Senators from Hawaii.

Hawaii is the best state

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

an AOL chatroom posted:

A conservative version of Colbert is any nightly Fox news show.

But yeah they did an awful Daily Show rip that I want to say lasted a season that was painfully unfunny because like all "conservative comedy" it was just 30 minutes of mean-spirited punching down

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010
Is Red Eye with Greg Gutfeld still going strong?

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

A conservative version of Colbert is any nightly Fox news show.

But yeah they did an awful Daily Show rip that I want to say lasted a season that was painfully unfunny because like all "conservative comedy" it was just 30 minutes of mean-spirited punching down

Yeah, I just found this: https://www.reddit.com/r/cringe/comments/8zii7f/that_time_fox_news_tried_making_a_conservative/

Reddit, but yeah

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

Conservatives aren't funny, and I stand by the idea that it's primarily because they don't put effort in because they think you can say "so those [slur for marginalized group] am I right?" and get laughs. There's a bunch of other reasons too but there's a reason why conservatives aren't popular comedians outside of their own conservative base.

Its really just one reason.

Its hard to be funny when you are stupid.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like you are literally paroting a fox news talking point. Like I know you didn't look through 12 year old bills yourself, you literally found that point by having fox news feed it to you so you could fall hook line and sinker into it's framing, that it was something obama affirmatively wanted instead of the real context that it was a portion of a compromise bill that he denounced.

So your argument is "even true things, once said on Fox News, become lies". Literally a cartoon parody to retcon away previous events, is your serious(?) position.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VitalSigns posted:

So your argument is "even true things, once said on Fox News, become lies". Literally a cartoon parody to retcon away previous events, is your serious(?) position.

Don't be a dick, everyone knows that famous saying "a broken clock is never right, ever"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/ScottMStedman/status/1067916408208580608

interesting.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

VitalSigns posted:

They could pass a law to hold a national nonbinding referendum on any arbitrary date. They could mail it out like they do the census, if they wanted.

Oh yeah good point since the census apparatus under Commerce does all kinds of survey work so that'd fit in pretty well.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The only one that got a laugh out of me was the OJ one, proving once and for all that jokes about OJ Simpson murdering people truly transcend political ideology.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

VitalSigns posted:

My argument is if you hear something by fox news telling you it you should probably look up the context and the way they frame it to see if they are misleading you, because surprise, they are! And "but dems supported trump's wall in 2006" is not the same as 'a fence was part of a compromise bill that obama spoke out against"

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

FlamingLiberal posted:

God the Epstein story is bonkers. It alleges that the Feds may have given a serial rapist a slap on the wrist to protect some of Epstein’s powerful friends, and also so that he would testify in the prosecution of some Wall Street people in the aftermath of the 2008 crash. In addition, the ‘punishment’ he received was 18 months in county jail where he could go for 12 hours a day, 6 days a week to a cushy office as ‘work release’. This doesn’t even get into the fact that the victims were never notified of the plea deal and only learned after the fact.

Google "DuPont Heir Baby Rapist."

The Rich You See, Are Quite Different Than You and Me.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

That is some unfortunate phrasing for a headline.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

corn in the bible posted:

sure sounds like a good reason to vote for the iraq war lol

Voting for the Iraq War at the time was stupid, but given the mood of the electorate I can understand making the cynical choice to vote for it, particularly if you were a woman senator who was having to fight against cultural biases that saw women as being weak and passive. I didn't agree with that vote, I screamed and wrote letters and called congress people, called talk radio stations posted on the loving internet, went to protests and did everything that I to stop it. But the inertia of a bunch of scared people, particularly when it was being stoked and fanned by a sophisticated well funded propaganda system was overwhelming.

It is why I voted for and supported Obama in 2008 primary and election. But even though I don't agree with Clinton or other Democrats who voted for it at the time but I get that they were some of them were making a cynical political calculation and for the most part.

And if I'm being perfectly honest I wasn't particularly happy about voting for her in 2016, but what else was I going to do, vote for Trump?

For what it's worth, you know who did vote against it that the Dems are bad brigade are always making GBS threads on? Nancy Pelosi.

Oh and of the 110 Democrats who voted for the Iraq war in 2002, only 20 were still holding elected office up until this year's midterm. And at least on of those got taken out by AOC. So it's not like they were rewarded for it over the long term.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Munkeymon posted:

Oh yeah good point since the census apparatus under Commerce does all kinds of survey work so that'd fit in pretty well.

i'm pretty sure you're right that you literally couldn't pass a law to do a nonbinding national federal referendum.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

My argument is if you hear something by fox news telling you it you should probably look up the context and the way they frame it to see if they are misleading you, because surprise, they are! And "but dems supported trump's wall in 2006" is not the same as 'a fence was part of a compromise bill that obama spoke out against"

In this case the framing is correct, most Dem legislators are just fine with wasting money on a racist wall, they just don't like Trump personally.

That's why voting for lesser-racist deals is bad, you get no credit from Republicans who will call you a communist no matter what, but they'll bring it up later to call you a hypocrite for cynically triangulating your way to being 27.263% as racist as them and they'll be right!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lol meanwhile in Britain

https://twitter.com/davidshor/status/1067915237431672832

:psyduck:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

eke out posted:

i'm pretty sure you're right that you literally couldn't pass a law to do a nonbinding national federal referendum.
Even if you could, Broward County would gently caress it up.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

So what did Obama say precisely when he spoke out against the bill he voted for?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I went to school in America. Please explain.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

https://twitter.com/trepur349/status/1067917255651012618

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i swear i just stared at this for a full minute

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

MAGA is trying their own late night comedy show

https://mobile.twitter.com/dweckshow/status/1067235162755395589

Featuring Gilbert Godfried

This looks so horrendously awful I eagerly look forward to it crashing and burning

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

That's impressively stupid.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The majority of respondents say they prefer Remaining over May's Brexit Deal, No Deal over Remaining, and May's Brexit Deal over No Deal. Think of it as saying B>A, C>B, but then A>C. Now this can work at all because it's a ranked preference thing but it's still loving lunatic poo poo.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Washington state leg tried to do something similar with a use of force initiative earlier in the year. It wasn’t during a lame duck but they tried to get the initiative off the ballot by passing mostly equivalent language and our courts hit them on the nose and made them put it back. We can’t even have lame duck sessions but I wouldn’t be surprised if they would have tried the same poo poo if we had.

jklfdsa
Oct 30, 2006
blah

The perfect illustration of why putting something like Brexit to the voters is an unbelievably bad idea. David Cameron destroyed British politics.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Retro42 posted:

Ugh, why does Ari Melber even give Corsi air time? Seems like a waste. Not like Corsi is going to say anything truthful or relevant.

Gotta try and get ratings to sell the car commercials.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

The Michigan GOP sprinting to be as evil as possible is might be less than helpful in 2020

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1067917087979507712

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Condorcet paradox is a situation in which the majority collectively prefers choice A over choice B, choice B over choice C, and choice C over choice A. So A>B>C>A>B>C>A...

It's not that people are individually changing their opinion constantly, I mean not necessarily, but more that no one option is well liked by enough people.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Feinne posted:

The majority of respondents say they prefer Remaining over May's Brexit Deal, No Deal over Remaining, and May's Brexit Deal over No Deal. Think of it as saying B>A, C>B, but then A>C. Now this can work at all because it's a ranked preference thing but it's still loving lunatic poo poo.

This is my interpretation, but gently caress if I can take the interpretation and walk it over to an understanding of what in the living hell these people were thinking.