Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

All those black lines are where Tae's parts will be, I just know it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I just want Tae to graaraagh as backing vocals.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
anime of the year

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
It should be like Suzumiya Haruhi-chan, where Yuki provided backup vocals for the entire OP in her usual monotone.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I might be getting into :tinfoil: territory, but those lyrics sound less like a theme song than an evocation.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It is called 'adabana necromancy'

Does adabana mean anything beyond just being fun to say?

Also, what if... Tae died of throat cancer and even when she awakens she still just graaarghs?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Elfface posted:

A flower that fails to bloom, and its used as a metaphor for something that fails to meet its fullest potential.

So you can either read it as 'they failed to meet their full potential, than necromancy happened' or you could read it as 'necromancy that won't actually accomplish anything'

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Dzhay posted:

I might be getting into :tinfoil: territory, but those lyrics sound less like a theme song than an evocation.

reviving saga, is literal

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The giant necromancy powered soil golem will be the final tip off that this is a very well disguised Macross tie in.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dzhay posted:

Hahaha, it really does. That is awesome.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I want the unflappable Yugiri to have a meltdown when the girls find out that she's 19 and is smoking

What do you mean I cant smoke and drink!?
The legal age of adulthood in japan is 20 yugiri san!
This country has gone to hell in a handbasket!

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Elfface posted:

Adabana means a flower that fails to produce any fruit before it wilts, or figuratively, something that may appear impressive, but has no substance to back it up.

UnintelGen
Sep 5, 2018

Wonderful 100, Capitalism fails again!

Team, engaging Unlimited Funds!

Dzhay posted:

I've had the same feeling regarding Awaken Returner/Dreamer! ...Dumb theory, and I hope it isn't true mind you, but Kotaro using necromancy to bring about an apocalypse (either a true 'zombie land' uprising or awaken a sleeping cthulhu-esque monster under Saga) seems like it makes sense, if a bit generic story wise. More sense than using necromancy to exploit unpaid labor, anyway.

Speaking of which, it's been making me wonder about Kotaro. Guy's an rear end in a top hat. A drat good one, but still. I was signed onto this show believing it to be a satire and critique of Idols and their business practices, with Kotaro eventually having sinister motives that the girls would have to turn on him. (And save the Saga!) But, obviously, the later episodes have softened this idea. And the show being, now, an obvious Saga funded commercial makes me question how critical of the idol industry they can really be. Or if it was meant to be. I mean, it's been pointed out to me because.. Idols aren't really my thing and thus the nods and references often go over my head, but someone on this show clearly really likes idols. I mean, they'd have to but the amount of which idol culture is examined and references to idol-related-things show up far exceeded the what was necessarily needed for a goofy show about an undead idol singing group. And that's the thing. Zombies.

I know it's not a revelation or anything.. But the show's plot gimmick of 'zombies' really gave me (and I assume a lot of other people) the impression that this show was going to tear in real hard on the exploitative nature of the industry. And, it kinda does. What with the zombies requiring to put on constant makeup to go outside means that effectively means they have no life outside of their performances. They can have no relationships, and they exist purely for 'you.' And being undead means they can sing to 'you' forever, in an industry that's known for have a short shelf life and having a common and creepy unspoken contract regarding what the talent can and cannot do. And if that isn't enough, there's Kotaro himself. He holds these girls effectively hostage, and can abuse and overwork them however much he wants. Which he is quick to point out. They are really the 'ideal' idols in a sense, just prettied up. I might be stretching here, but Tae might just be the perfect idol with this show's logic. She can, with training, mimic and pantomime the other's performances but without the critical thinking skills that the other possess. Her final challenge might just be singing.

OK, those were just some dumb opinions I've had mulling about but haven't bothered to write down. Now, some dumb predictions before the show's final episodes play out.

- If Tae is going to seriously wake up at some point, I expect it to have some plot significance. Specifically, it would reveal that Kotaro is some kind of hosed up god and responsible for all of Franchouchou's deaths (except Sakura) and she caught him in the act. I feel it's too late at this point for a dramatic twist so Tae's probably never waking up.

- Our friendly, trigger happy Policeman A... Is Sakura's brother! He's just really, REALLY dumb and thick. His comment about Sakura in episode 3 isn't some connection between his zombie encounters, he just vaguely remembers his dead sister. Because he's dumb. Like, really dumb.

- If we get a Yugiri episode, it will kick off a Franchouchou controversy focused episode where she lets slip something about her sordid past to a crowd. May end up being an episode of sex positivity, considering Lily's recent episode which was really touching. I think the show can double dip in progressive topics and come out on top.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

UnintelGen posted:

More sense than using necromancy to exploit unpaid labor, anyway.

I thought that was kind of the point of necromancy.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Daxing Dan posted:

Adabana means a flower that fails to produce any fruit before it wilts, or figuratively, something that may appear impressive, but has no substance to back it up.

Endorph posted:

A flower that fails to bloom, and its used as a metaphor for something that fails to meet its fullest potential.

So you can either read it as 'they failed to meet their full potential, than necromancy happened' or you could read it as 'necromancy that won't actually accomplish anything'
Indeed. Specifically, Adabana is written like this:「徒花」 (funnily enough, is quicker to type "to" in the IME and just scroll down a couple of entries to get that first kanji; curse you, windows IME! :argh:)

The first kanji is often used for a couple of meanings, but the one used here is akin to "failure", "in vain". So Daxing and Endorph are basically going with the "Fruitless Flower" reading, which is most likely the intended meaning by the song's lyricist for the final result to be something like "Fruitless Necromancy". :eng101:

The second kanji is the fairly common "Hana" (which is sometimesabbreviated like "ka"), which means flower in most cases. Unless you want to make puns/wordplay/read it like a translation of its Chinese counterpart. Yay.

e: To quote the two posts since other posts happened in the interim.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 28, 2018

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I don't think the necromancy was fruitless, but rather that it was used on something (girls whose lives were cut short) that would've been fruitless. Performing necromancy on the Adabana, rather than the necromancy itself being Adabana

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, that probably makes more sense... though now that I've read the posts above mine and the ones on the SSSS.Gridman thread that often brim with speculation and theories, I now can't remove my :tinfoil: completely. Speculation about a currently airing can truly be a double-edged sword.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I don't think the necromancy was fruitless, but rather that it was used on something (girls whose lives were cut short) that would've been fruitless. Performing necromancy on the Adabana, rather than the necromancy itself being Adabana

Yeah, that's how I interpret it as well given what Kotaro said to Junko.

In other news obari is going to make a super robot for the girls

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 28, 2018

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah, that's how I interpret it as well given what Kotaro said to Junko.

In other news obari is going to make a super robot for the girls

Obari already worked on Precure for Happy Robo episode!

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?
It seems reasonable to me that the zombies themselves are the adabana. The singers seem to be singing about themselves, which would mean that they're calling themselves adabana in the first chorus.

By the way, you don't have to derive the meaning of adabana from first principles when it's a pre-existing word with an established definition that you can look up in a dictionary

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Helter Skelter posted:

I thought that was kind of the point of necromancy.
yes

edit: also to everyone expecting significantly more "deconstruction" I'm sorry to tell you but even from the get go this has just been a very standard, albeit very good, idol show with a few zombie related jokes thrown in. The stuff you were seeing as satirical was still pretty standard.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 29, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Western Anime fans feel really obsessed with the idea of things they like being some sort of own or counterargument against some imagined issue of anime that exists almost entirely in their own head. I blame that meme of miyazaki saying 'anime was a mistake.'

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

edit: also to everyone expecting significantly more "deconstruction" I'm sorry to tell you but even from the get go this has just been a very standard, albeit very good, idol show with a few zombie related jokes thrown in. The stuff you were seeing as satirical was still pretty standard.

Anime Rule 1: It is never a deconstruction.
Anime Rule 2: Fanservice is never satirical.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I mean in context Miyazaki was still right. Just like western nerd medias a lot of anime is poisoned by people whose whole media consumption was thing they are now making. As a result stuff gets more self referential and incestuous (in anime's case both metaphorically and literally). Which leads to stuff that would be normal in a previous era being praised as "breaking the mold". Hence the people thinking ASoIaF's take that "feudalism sucked" is somehow new or inventive for a fantasy series.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 29, 2018

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i mean he literally never said those words, is the main problem. his core criticism actually had an element of nuance regarding the insularity of some anime that is entirely lost just to be a meme that shits on the entire medium. it's why the meme is bad

where basically on the same page but whatever

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Agreed memes suck.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Memes were a mistake

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
The meme tricked me and now I'm upset at it. It didn't effect my opinion of anime but it did effect my opinion of Miyazaki. It's frustrating how easy it can be to just unquestioningly absorb things you're told, and I wish I fell prey to it less.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

A translation of the actual full quote if anyone is interested

"You see, whether you can draw like this or not, being able to think up this kind of design, it depends on whether or not you can say to yourself, ‘Oh, yeah, girls like this exist in real life. If you don’t spend time watching real people, you can’t do this, because you’ve never seen it. Some people spend their lives interested only in themselves. Almost all Japanese animation is produced with hardly any basis taken from observing real people, you know. It’s produced by humans who can’t stand looking at other humans. And that’s why the industry is full of otaku!."

tldr nerds ruin media

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I saw someone point out once that probably the reason anime is so full of otaku is because huge fans of the medium are some of the only ones willing to put up with the lovely conditions and I think there's probably some truth to that. As the video game industry has pretty lovely working conditions as well, I think the same is true there.

Nerds don't ruin media, lovely working conditions do.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah, but complaining about capitalism all day makes people tune you out.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Captain Cappy posted:

Anime Rule 1: It is never a deconstruction.
Anime Rule 2: Fanservice is never satirical.

isn't there a lot of satire that is satire while also being the thing being satirized (e.g. Edgar Wright)

So can't blatant horniness both be blatantly horny while also be comically so?

Speaking of which good on this show for being relatively light in terms of how horny it is. Then again now that I think about it, in terms of capital I idol shows, they're usually relatively wholesome compared to... the rest of anime. Probably because a lot of it is for kids.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

OnimaruXLR posted:

No.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Daxing Dan posted:

It seems reasonable to me that the zombies themselves are the adabana. The singers seem to be singing about themselves, which would mean that they're calling themselves adabana in the first chorus.

By the way, you don't have to derive the meaning of adabana from first principles when it's a pre-existing word with an established definition that you can look up in a dictionary
Hey neat! More resources. :dance:

I kinda want to see what more the show does as far as presenting idols, since the only two shows I've seen about it are Idolm@ster and Love Live and those have their own things going on.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Nov 29, 2018

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Their songs are really growing on me. I hope whatever OST is eventually released has one or two extra songs.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Zombidols continue to save Saga
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2018-11-28/zombie-land-saga-real-house-draws-1000-visitors-in-single-day/.140077

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Regarding the opening sounding like an invocation, I now have the mental image of Kotaro chanting it over the girls' bodies. Possibly while doing his dance from the op too.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Maybe the Returner song is some kind of resurrection spell and his final goal is to revive the girls? Watch Kotaro actually be an angel or something send down to help these girls revive.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I watched p 8. It was good imo. I love every punk and delinquent idol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

A translation of the actual full quote if anyone is interested

"You see, whether you can draw like this or not, being able to think up this kind of design, it depends on whether or not you can say to yourself, ‘Oh, yeah, girls like this exist in real life. If you don’t spend time watching real people, you can’t do this, because you’ve never seen it. Some people spend their lives interested only in themselves. Almost all Japanese animation is produced with hardly any basis taken from observing real people, you know. It’s produced by humans who can’t stand looking at other humans. And that’s why the industry is full of otaku!."

tldr nerds ruin media
counterpoint: miyazaki is an abusive father and has made one and a half good movies in his entire life. for real though his view of what 'acceptable' animation is is really narrow and he seems to get disdainful towards anything that couldn't pass for a major disney release. obviously anime getting overly self-obsessed, as an industry, is bad, but there's a difference between that and just having a sincere love and respect for what came before you. and again, miyazaki of all people talking about 'interested only in themselves' and 'humans who can't stand looking at other humans', chidingly, is moronic.

edit: wait i thought this was the season thread

edit 2: while im dragging this thread wildly off topic

OnimaruXLR posted:

Satire is inherently critical, it's not just 'that thing, but funny.' So if a show is actually making a coherent argument about horniness/fanservice, only using those things enough to make its point, it's satire. If it's just comically horny, or exaggeratedly so, it's a parody.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 29, 2018