Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

What went wrong in Albert Park/Victoria

That was a really fascinating take, thanks for sharing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

That thread gave me a wide on

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

tithin posted:

That thread gave me a wide on

post guy-own wide on

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

bell jar posted:

post guy-own wide on

Auspol December: post guy-own wide on

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I don't think the Libs will split, self interest ends up overriding everything else and there is little chance they will intentionally put themselves in the wilderness for a couple of elections.

At the same time, if things get worse for the government will they really try and drag things out to May? The lack of sitting days before the election is clearly an admission that they have given up and want to reduce the chances of losing votes in parliament, and the more ineffectual they appear the worse they would probably do. At some point you would have some saying it's best to just pull the pin.

A Good Username
Oct 10, 2007

Andy's angry about shoes.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

A Good Username posted:

"fuckin' skirts, amirite?"

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
https://twitter.com/mattjcan/status/1068009000719904768

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
That's some committed bootlicking right there.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

A Good Username posted:

TL;dr: The Liberal's women problem: the women

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

What in the gently caress...

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Australia's Most Read Columnist (is) The Lib's real woman problem

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

A Good Username posted:

That "The Libs don't have many women because they're too delicate for politics" take is surprising even for Bolt.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

When do you think the nationals rank and file are going to remember their balls and start deselecting NINO bootlickers like Canavan and Joyce?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

JBP posted:

*whispers* *SCREAMS* "It's Queensland"

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Cross post from Trump thread but the Lyle in this has to be Shelton, right?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Whitlam posted:

Cross post from Trump thread but the Lyle in this has to be Shelton, right?

It's not real

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

JBP posted:

It's not real

Well there goes that fun.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

This is loving amazing to read.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

This can't be real

I don't think it is - the only way I can think of how it could work from a technical perspective was if he was in a group text with a number that links to a CMS, and only his number was linked to a twitter account - but it looks like he's texting multiple people, and so he'd have to be in multiple group texts.

Also, their website doesn't link to that twitter account.

I hope I'm wrong though because it's fuckin funny as hell

e: you ghost edited while i was debunking

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The only debunking I needed was to tap the tweet and see binary austraya

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Also, 'make male and female bi again.'

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

JBP posted:

Why are you acting surprised? It's what the ALP agreed to. it's 100% the ALP not just allowing this to happen but subsidising it. You disingenuous fucker.

"Oh my heavens how ever did that happen?"

gently caress the ALP in their lying loving faces posted:

Headed by Cameron Milner, a former Queensland ALP state secretary, the lobbying firm Next Level had helped Adani get pretty much everything it wanted — through an extraordinarily intense campaign.

Adani began using Next Level to provide lobbying services in Queensland in February 2015.

Alongside Mr Milner, the firm features David Moore, formerly chief of staff to the LNP premier Campbell Newman.

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk was particularly willing to extend the welcome mat.

The Premier had 10 personal meetings with lobbyists all up. Six of those were with Adani's lobbyists.

The effort was especially intense earlier this year as Adani brokered concessions on mining royalty payments from the State Government.

On five consecutive days at the end of May, as the deal was being hammered out, Adani's lobbyists held meetings with Ms Palaszczuk's chief of staff, David Barbagallo — a notorious ALP hard man.

The fruits of the lobbying effort are there for all to see.

A deferment of mining royalties under a secret deal with the Queensland Government — worth big money to Adani — despite Labor's pledge at the 2015 election not to subsidise the Adani mine.

A declaration that the Adani project was "critical infrastructure" — a status never previously granted to a mining project — which exempts it from a raft of planning controls and potential legal objections.

Adani also used Next Level to lobby members of Federal Parliament on Adani's behalf, but how much contact Mr Milner and his staff had we do not know. The Commonwealth, unlike Queensland, does not require that lobbying contacts be logged on a register.

What is clear is that Mr Milner is familiar with the revolving door between politics and lobbying.

He spent 18 months as Bill Shorten's chief of staff — helping hone the strategy that nearly carried Labor to victory at the 2016 election — moving directly from his role as Adani's lobbyist to the Opposition Leader's office, then back again.

Large sample surveys by reputable pollsters suggest a majority of Australians oppose the project, and a vast majority believe it should not receive government subsidies, such as a proposed $1 billion loan from the Federal Government's Northern Australia Infrastructure Facility.

But in a world where big money and influence-peddling hold sway, that may not be enough to stop Adani.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it's because it's what they thnk Queensland wants

Queensland strong?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

clusterfuck posted:

Why are you acting surprised? It's what the ALP agreed to. it's 100% the ALP not just allowing this to happen but subsidising it. You disingenuous fucker.

"Oh my heavens how ever did that happen?"
[url=https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-23/the-labor-insider-who-lobbied-for-adani/9181648]

It's a weird tweet blending disaster with "but good news, jobs"

Chill out. I don't think Adani is good. The "little Aussie battler" line is the funniest part.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Queensland is not strong simply because Queensland is a mirror land where the rural seats actually roll Labor and the LNP heartland is actually the Gold Coast with Brisbane being a swing city.

Usually in other states the city and the outer burbs would contain Labor heartland but no, quite a few Labor heartlands are near Katterstan and One Nation ground zeroes.

This causes this weird love hate relationship with mining because with Brisbane being a, swing city Labor actually has no metropolitan dense heartland to rely on.

Decentralisation whoo hoo.

Anidav fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 29, 2018

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

"Qld strogg!"
/
:gary:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

But from the bottom of my heart I hope this state one day stops falling in love with mining companies.

An issue not exclusive to Queensland by the way. We just happen to have a reef near this one.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

hambeet posted:

"Qld strogg!"
/
this is pmuch what i meant

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Anidav posted:

But from the bottom of my heart I hope this state one day stops falling in love with mining companies.

An issue not exclusive to Queensland by the way. We just happen to have a reef near this one.

Sever

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Next Level Lobbying.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anidav posted:

Queensland is not strong simply because Queensland is a mirror land where the rural seats actually roll Labor and the LNP heartland is actually the Gold Coast with Brisbane being a swing city.

Usually in other states the city and the outer burbs would contain Labor heartland but no, quite a few Labor heartlands are near Katterstan and One Nation ground zeroes.

This causes this weird love hate relationship with mining because with Brisbane being a, swing city Labor actually has no metropolitan dense heartland to rely on.

Queensland is actually the strongest since the labour movement and Labor itself originated from mainly agricultural and rural worker action.

So really QLD just stayed true and Katter/PHON land is OG Laborland.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hambeet posted:

"Qld strogg!"
/

[railgun noises]

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yeah but it still causes weird stuff like Adani to happen.

Only reason Bill hasn't curb stomped it yet is because he has his greedy eyes on that QLD projected swing and wants to take as many LNP scalps as possible.

Like some sort of serial killer.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Anidav posted:

This only really applies in the State Gov't though.

In Federal regional QLD rolls hard Nationals

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Adani makes similar announcements every few months. You should treat anything they say as horseshit until the government actually confirms it.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Well I mean a more centralised state govt would've said gently caress off forever.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
What's the over-under of a shorten govt coming into power and telling QLD to gently caress off

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

/\/\/\/\true...maybe it is just the latest in Adani horseshit.

JBP posted:

Chill out. I don't think Adani is good. The "little Aussie battler" line is the funniest part.

You might not but you're the ALP cheerleader around here. You have to expect some flak when this:

quote:

He spent 18 months as Bill Shorten's chief of staff — helping hone the strategy that nearly carried Labor to victory at the 2016 election — moving directly from his role as Adani's lobbyist to the Opposition Leader's office, then back again.

-is business as usual for the party you uncritically support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/markdistefano/the-spectator-sarah-hanson-young-slut-shame

https://twitter.com/samanthamaiden/status/1067648283701534720