Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Supersonic Shine posted:

That's what I meant. I was trying to illustrate the difference between Jotaro being unable to rely on his cards and seeking other avenues to victory and the manga presenting everything with utmost confidence, no matter how unbelievable they are. My metaphors may need a bit of work.
oh lol, I just read your post wrong oops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
It's cool. Jotaro bluffing his way through the poker game is easily one of the best moments of the series. It's always satisfying to see somebody win a poker game through some good old-fashioned mind games and poker faces as opposed to some good old-fashioned luck.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Dragonwagon posted:

So I guess all of Araki's earlier work shows up in Jojo in some way?

I hadn't even noticed...

This makes Koichi being such a fan even funnier

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

somepartsareme posted:

i thought he just didnt look at his cards cause he didn't want to know if they were bad

Not looking at the cards was part of the psychological fake out.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Jotaro vs. D'Arby the Gambler is still my favorite Stand battle from all of Part 3.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
It's even better when you realize he was unknowingly making D'Arby think "oh poo poo can his Stand stop time too?"

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Funky Valentine posted:

Oh poo poo is Lisa Lisa okay.

Even with ripple users having slowed aging I doubt she's alive by the time of Part 4/5.

EDIT:

Expect My Mom posted:

josuke's grandma got hit by the same car twice in one day!

By the way, while this theory is really funny I think it's very unlikely Josuke was referring to his paternal grandmother considering how disconnected he was from that family. He was probably talking about his maternal grandmother, if he wasn't making the story up.

vvvv: Joseph just says(in Part 3) that he talked to her about the Joestar birthmark at some point, not that it was recent. I think she was probably still alive in Part 3 though.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 29, 2018

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

RatHat posted:

Even with ripple users having slowed aging I doubt she's alive by the time of Part 4/5.
She was certainly alive as of part 3, wasn't she? I think even in part 4 Joseph said he consulted with her. Considering she actually practiced the ripple instead of quarter-assing it like Joseph "I Left A Part Of Myself In Japan" Joestar, she might be alive but strongly resembling Enyaba.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nessus posted:

She was certainly alive as of part 3, wasn't she? I think even in part 4 Joseph said he consulted with her. Considering she actually practiced the ripple instead of quarter-assing it like Joseph "I Left A Part Of Myself In Japan" Joestar, she might be alive but strongly resembling Enyaba.

No there is no mention of her in part 3 or 4.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Joseph mentions her right at the start of Part 3 when talking about the Joestar birthmark.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

RatHat posted:

By the way, while this theory is really funny I think it's very unlikely Josuke was referring to his paternal grandmother considering how disconnected he was from that family. He was probably talking about his maternal grandmother, if he wasn't making the story up.

vvvv: Joseph just says(in Part 3) that he talked to her about the Joestar birthmark at some point, not that it was recent. I think she was probably still alive in Part 3 though.
oh yeah im sure he's talking about Tomoko's mom, but it's still very funny. I want to believe that was an intentional callback

Reference because I feel like that line was cut from the anime but maybe not

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Would D'arby the Gambler be a good episode to show someone who has never watched the series? Even though the stands are mostly ancillary to the action I think it's one of the purest distillations of Jojo's story dynamics.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

D'Arby is probably the single best chapter in all of animated Jojo

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dragonwagon posted:

So I guess all of Araki's earlier work shows up in Jojo in some way?

Is that the Polnareff pose?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Sockser posted:

D'Arby is probably the single best chapter in all of animated Jojo

Oingo Boingo was better. :colbert:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Is that the Polnareff pose?

No, the Polnareff pose is the one where he is standing at like a 10 degree angle from the ground rather than diving sorta parallel to the ground

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Pomplamoose posted:

Would D'arby the Gambler be a good episode to show someone who has never watched the series? Even though the stands are mostly ancillary to the action I think it's one of the purest distillations of Jojo's story dynamics.

D'arby the Gambler was my first episode of JoJo and it got me hooked on the series

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Pomplamoose posted:

The Lovers is also a strong one. And shows a bit more action.
D'arby is a perfect example of why Jotaro is such an incredible badass.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I started from Red Hot Chilli Pepper, which I think is better because it is a very good conventional "Stand Fight" episode.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
the best episode to start from is the one where there is a stand which is an electrical outlet that makes you buttfuck your friend

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pomplamoose posted:

I can say from first-hand experience: Yes it is

Mel Mudkiper posted:

the best episode to start from is the one where there is a stand which is an electrical outlet that makes you buttfuck your friend

the best episode to start from is the one where a blonde English boy jumps out of a carriage and then glares smugly at the screen with a choir sting and Japanese characters framing his face

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
[both sincerely and overly smugly] start with episode 1

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
The first two arcs of jojo are weird because you have to watch them to grasp what happens later on but nothing really identifiable as jojo really comes until part 3 outside of the posing

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The first two arcs of jojo are weird because you have to watch them to grasp what happens later on but nothing really identifiable as jojo really comes until part 3 outside of the posing

I don't think so. Larger-than-life characters and clever fights won through outsmarting the other side rather than brute force, together with strong one-liners, exist in Part 2 already (and to a lesser extent in Part 1).

The only thing Part 3 really introduces to the formula is Stands, which are obviously heavily important since they're the main method of fighting in the show, but the bases for the rest already existed.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pomplamoose posted:

As someone who's first experience with Jojo was the OVA D'arby episode: yes.

Expect My Mom posted:

[both sincerely and overly smugly] start with episode 1

If you want to get into Jojo for the sake of getting into Jojo, then doing that makes decent enough sense.

But if someone wanted me to introduce them into Jojo, or if I were hoping to get someone else into the series, I would start with part 2.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Uhhh no?

Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency are both pretty identifiable as jojo. If you're reducing jojo down to just stands and posing then there is a whole lot else you're missing. If you think Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency aren't really identifiable as being jojo then I don't really know what to tell you because it's pretty obvious imo that they are totally jojo as hell

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

Pomplamoose posted:

Hell yeah.

Especially good if that someone rolls their eyes at the prospect of "ugh great another shonen thing where people just punch and scream at each other" and you show them something that's all tension, no fighting.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Schwarzwald posted:

If you want to get into Jojo for the sake of getting into Jojo, then doing that makes decent enough sense.

But if someone wanted me to introduce them into Jojo, or if I were hoping to get someone else into the series, I would start with part 2.
I'm someone who likes Part 1 a lot more than Part 2 and idk, I don't like treating someone like they're a child who needs Joseph acting like a clown to be entertained

Yes JoJo undergoes changes throughout that will appeal differently to people but the things I like in JoJo are still very much there in Part 1 and I have no problem starting a friend there. Like im not gonna be the JoJo Police and arrest someone for starting with this new season, hell this is a great starting point, but I'm always going to say that starting at the beginning is the best.

That's why it's called Part 1 Episode 1

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Not particularly. There was a Stardust Crusaders OVA that worked pretty well, even if DIO's presence wasn't wholly explained.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't think so. Larger-than-life characters and clever fights won through outsmarting the other side rather than brute force, together with strong one-liners, exist in Part 2 already (and to a lesser extent in Part 1).

The only thing Part 3 really introduces to the formula is Stands, which are obviously heavily important since they're the main method of fighting in the show, but the bases for the rest already existed.

FirstAidKite posted:

Uhhh no?

Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency are both pretty identifiable as jojo. If you're reducing jojo down to just stands and posing then there is a whole lot else you're missing. If you think Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency aren't really identifiable as being jojo then I don't really know what to tell you because it's pretty obvious imo that they are totally jojo as hell

I am not just referring to stands.

I am referring to stuff like art design, character types, plot structure, etc. which all aren't really present in the first two arcs.

Plotwise, the first two arcs have a sort of dragon ball style arc about getting strong enough to beat the big bad. Later seasons are more about working through a rogues gallery to find the villain.

Artwise, like, just look at a picture of Johnathan from the first arc and compare it to GioGio.

Hell even compare Jotaro part 3 to Jotaro part 4.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Wrong thread

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
The first two and a half episodes of part 1 are basically a period drama with no supernatural elements and I don't think that's a very good representation of Jojo as a whole. So if someone asked me to show what's so great about Jojo I would probably recommend an episode from one of the later parts to watch.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Phantom Blood being a period drama for the first two episodes makes the weird poo poo hit super hard, along with the added tension of the stone mask lurking in the background.

Also Speedwagon is there and I wouldn't miss that for anything. :colbert:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdAnKt2jTTY

There needs to be a French, Chinese, Hindi, and Arabic dub of Stardust Crusaders

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Dragonwagon posted:

The first two and a half episodes of part 1 are basically a period drama with no supernatural elements and I don't think that's a very good representation of Jojo as a whole. So if someone asked me to show what's so great about Jojo I would probably recommend an episode from one of the later parts to watch.
really now?

part 1 owns

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
God, Dio being such a dickish 12-year-old and then getting that beatdown is so good.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

If you think about it the moral of all of Jojo is dont be nice to poor people

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Like the period drama is so JoJo dude.

Heres an anime that opens as a gothic Victorian tragedy, of class and circumstances tearing a family apart and driving a good man to the brink of his morality, he must confront the truth of his brother's betrayal, the brother he has spent seven years learning to love, all while another man toils madly with ancient artifacts, attempting to relieve himself of the shackles of his station, a station that has only brought him misery and taught him naught but how to inflict that misery on others.

And it works, he becomes something beyond himself, and now the good man must become a Great Man, and set out to destroy his brother, practically his own blood.

And a guy named Speedwagon is there.

And that's only one hour of television

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FirstAidKite posted:

Uhhh no?

not enough dad rock names in part 1 or part 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If you think about it the moral of all of Jojo is dont be nice to poor people

Being nice to Speedwagon made the world an objectively better place.

The difference is that Dio thinks of himself as "not rich yet," so fully falling for the siren call of Capitalism that he becomes a physical manifestation of it.