Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I like king of the hill, and it is a good show. Fight me.

:colbert:

Edit: it is by no means perfect. The portraying of certain 90's tropes are a bit much, but the show itself is good natured and treats people well.

KotH is legit decent. I somewhat regret coming late to the party. It's actually remarkably consistent in quality pretty much all throughout, which is insane considering how long the show was running.

Though Bobby definitely sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

theflyingorc posted:

Don't laugh because you have a real basic lack of understanding of language lol

I mean I disagree that it's about linguistics, when it's actually about ideology. The decision to frame American politics in terms of "liberals versus conservatives" is an ideological choice that I think is bad.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't think I would agree with this. It's just that the things the right satirizes either don't really exist as such or aren't problems in the way they claim they are. For example, I would characterize Demolition Man as right-wing satire, but what it satirizes (namely "political correctness" and the "feminization of culture") either doesn't exist or isn't a real problem.

You're putting too much thought into this. Good satire cuts both ways, intentionally. You have to let the audience laugh at itself as it cracks up about something much more funny. All of the conservative satire I've ever seen is simply "we're always right because we're better, point and laugh at these lesser people." That might work for a few minutes, but as good humor, it's flat as hell, and boring after the third joke.

VVV
Fair enough.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 29, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

KickerOfMice posted:

You're putting too much thought into this. Good satire cuts both ways, intentionally. You have to let the audience laugh at itself as it cracks up about something much more funny. All of the conservative satire I've ever seen is simply "we're always right because we're better, point and laugh at these lesser people." That might work for a few minutes, but as good humor, it's flat as hell, and boring after the third joke.

I mean this is an argument that right-wing satire is always bad, which I agree with. The thing I disagreed with was that it doesn't exist.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

King of the Hill did an episode about visiting Wichita Falls, Texas, which means it's the greatest show ever and also I have exclusive rights to discuss the program because I lived there for a while.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
I've always liked king of the hill. I think Alex Jones saw an episode focusing on Dale and realized: "yes, this is my calling!" :v:

Gay frogs...

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

1glitch0 posted:

And I'm sure the tear gas company just randomly opened their checkbook one day and picked a name out of the air and gave them 5 grand. Maybe it'll be me next!
This is such a weird sentiment, because that's basically exactly how it works? There's 5-700 people at any given time that are good candidates for donations, and you pick from that list. If you want the bribes, run for office and look like you might be in a position to possibly win and possibly influence legislation that impacts a company. Companies (that are not complete shitgibbons) often bothsides campaigns just to be sure they've given to the winner, because it's about connections and networking with the people in power more than exactly which people are in power.

Five grand might be a lot to you or I, but it's worth zilch in modern campaign expenses. That's a "we wanted our name on your donor list", not "Hello, senator, we'd like a moment of your time" amount.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

KickerOfMice posted:

I've always liked king of the hill. I think Alex Jones saw an episode focusing on Dale and realized: "yes, this is my calling!" :v:

Gay frogs...

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Harik posted:

This is such a weird sentiment, because that's basically exactly how it works? There's 5-700 people at any given time that are good candidates for donations, and you pick from that list. If you want the bribes, run for office and look like you might be in a position to possibly win and possibly influence legislation that impacts a company. Companies (that are not complete shitgibbons) often bothsides campaigns just to be sure they've given to the winner, because it's about connections and networking with the people in power more than exactly which people are in power.

Five grand might be a lot to you or I, but it's worth zilch in modern campaign expenses. That's a "we wanted our name on your donor list", not "Hello, senator, we'd like a moment of your time" amount.

Democratic politicians should probably not accept money from corporations at all, but they definitely shouldn't accept money from the MIC.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lightning Knight posted:

Democratic politicians should probably not accept money from corporations at all, but they definitely shouldn't accept money from the MIC.

The guy donated, not the company, is there any politician that audits or does employment checks on personal donations? That seems crazy. If it was a six million dollar business investment they should know who it is, but who is going to investigate one name on 178 pages of donations to know if each person has good or bad employment?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The guy donated, not the company, is there any politician that audits or does employment checks on personal donations? That seems crazy. If it was a six million dollar business investment they should know who it is, but who is going to investigate one name on 178 pages of donations to know if each person has good or bad employment?

quote:

The couple is socially active in New York and Aspen. The two are listed as “President’s Society” donors at the Aspen Institute, where Booker is a fellow. Several Aspen Institute members belonged to the Booker fundraiser host committee along with the Kanderses. Warren Kanders is also a vice chair of the Whitney, where his wife, Allison, has co-chaired the museum’s annual gala, where she has been photographed with celebrities such as Sting.

From the article.

I do expect a sitting US Senator to know who is giving him money, since they have to keep track of that stuff anyways for campaign finance laws. But it's not like these are two random people Cory Booker has never heard of.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Crabtree posted:

The aliens that visited us died out when they elected their own Trump. The death drive often visits sapient species in the guise of a regressive shitfuck elemental that often takes the form of Trump across the universe.

Make The Filter Great Again

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Lightning Knight posted:

From the article.

You’d think the Tear Gas people would be able to get support from more of The Police.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Lightning Knight posted:

Part of me is genuinely curious if the fact that Trump hasn't blabbed about aliens means they don't exist or if the CIA just didn't tell him about the aliens. :tinfoil:

Since he won't read past the first three lines of a bullet-point list, all they'd have to do to keep something secret is bury it in the middle of a big report.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lightning Knight posted:

Part of me is genuinely curious if the fact that Trump hasn't blabbed about aliens means they don't exist or if the CIA just didn't tell him about the aliens. :tinfoil:

personally i lean towards the first one, rand paul's best comment in his entire life notwithstanding

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

haveblue posted:

Make The Filter Great Again

:stonklol:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

personally i lean towards the first one, rand paul's best comment in his entire life notwithstanding

Please enlighten me here. :allears:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lightning Knight posted:

Please enlighten me here. :allears:

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/944593625597599745

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 29, 2018

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Esplanade posted:

Gonna steal this concept for a new spy movie franchise:

Brownfinger
Thunderbutt
You Only Wipe Twice

Thunderpants already exists.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Crabtree posted:

The aliens that visited us died out when they elected their own Trump. The death drive often visits sapient species in the guise of a regressive shitfuck elemental that often takes the form of Trump across the universe.

you're almost right - the Great Filter is Ted Cruz, and it's as baffled as the rest of us right now

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lightning Knight posted:

From the article.

I do expect a sitting US Senator to know who is giving him money, since they have to keep track of that stuff anyways for campaign finance laws. But it's not like these are two random people Cory Booker has never heard of.

Can you name anything ever that does a person by person check of the political alignment of each minor personal donation to make sure it aligns with the campaign?

Like for big two way deals absolutely, but has there ever been anything that picks and chooses to accept or reject individual personal donations at that low a level?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Can you name anything ever that does a person by person check of the political alignment of each minor personal donation to make sure it aligns with the campaign?

Like for big two way deals absolutely, but has there ever been anything that picks and chooses to accept or reject individual personal donations at that low a level?

Even if we accept this premise for a moment and that it's impossible for them to track things like that, which I don't believe we should, he should now return every cent they gave him and not accept any more.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Lightning Knight posted:

Making less lethal weapons is, if not a good, then a neutral activity, morally. Of course they are misused on nonviolent protesters by lazy/bored cops, but I bet that, for example, the Kent State Massacre wouldn't have been a massacre if tear gas, pepper spray and whatnot was readily available instead of rifles and bayonets.

Anyway, it's a small thing compared to Booker's friendliness with the parts of his constituency who are in the finance industry, which is a much more likely source of counterrevolutionary ideas :commissar:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Harik posted:

I'm aware that's how it works, what is your point?

And it's a bit more than some rando giving money since:

Lightning Knight posted:

From the article.

quote:

The couple is socially active in New York and Aspen. The two are listed as “President’s Society” donors at the Aspen Institute, where Booker is a fellow. Several Aspen Institute members belonged to the Booker fundraiser host committee along with the Kanderses. Warren Kanders is also a vice chair of the Whitney, where his wife, Allison, has co-chaired the museum’s annual gala, where she has been photographed with celebrities such as Sting.

While you're correct that 5k isn't a lot of money in the grand scheme of things I think you're mistaken in how much it takes to bribe a congressperson. They usually aren't doing it for a pallet of a hundred dollar bills unloaded on the docks, but for a lettuce and shrimp lunch. Someone else can probably post one of the many articles where a congressperson basically sold out the country and committed serious crimes for like 75k. I, personally, wouldn't take any contribution from a weapons manufacturer and having them be on my fundraising host committee, but I guess that's why I'm not preparing to run for president in 2 years.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Munkeymon posted:

Making less lethal weapons is, if not a good, then a neutral activity, morally. Of course they are misused on nonviolent protesters by lazy/bored cops, but I bet that, for example, the Kent State Massacre wouldn't have been a massacre if tear gas, pepper spray and whatnot was readily available instead of rifles and bayonets.

Anyway, it's a small thing compared to Booker's friendliness with the parts of his constituency who are in the finance industry, which is a much more likely source of counterrevolutionary ideas :commissar:

I think this is hugely overly charitable to policing as an institution and the military-industrial complex and buys into the idea that something being less than lethal legitimizes the use of force by the state against civilians otherwise. I am not arguing that Booker took a significant amount of money from them, just that on principle he should accept zero from them. If he can't pre-screen them, then he should return their money once it is brought to his attention. If he truly believes tear gassing civilians on the border is bad, he should not accept money from the people making the tear gas.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Munkeymon posted:

It's not necessarily good or neutral in the long run. The Kent State massacre was horrific and a mass shooting by the government on protestors has not been authorized on a college campus since. Meanwhile a college kid was shot with electricity (Don't taze me, bro!) and it has been a meme people on all sides of the political spectrum have giggled about for over a decade and the behavior has continued because enough people find it acceptable or actually funny. Giving fascists non-lethal means of controlling people just normalizes the behavior of suppressing dissent and diffusing the outrage it should bring.

It's the same reason I thought the proliferation of drone use was so terrible. The only possible way to decrease the amount of unnecessary death in needless wars is American sons and daughters coming back in body bags. Once they could just drive to work, play a glorified video game, and be home for dinner, there's not much incentive for a lot of people to stop it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I wouldn't really disagree that my ideal candidates would reject money from the likes of weapons manufacturers (lethal or nonlethal). Holding them accountable to reject every small personal donation seems a little harsher but at the very least if its a small donation it shouldn't be much for him to return it and make a statement.

But I think linking it to the border assaults is intellectually dishonest at best. If its a problem its a problem because of the broader issue of where you get your money, not because it gives Booker some kind of culpability in gassing children at the border.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

STAC Goat posted:

But I think linking it to the border assaults is intellectually dishonest at best. If its a problem its a problem because of the broader issue of where you get your money, not because it gives Booker some kind of culpability in gassing children at the border.

I don't think him taking money from the manufacturers makes him in any way responsible for what happened at the border, but I think if he expects to score political points for commenting on it and condemning it, he shouldn't be taking that money or he just looks silly. This goes for all Democratic politicians, because I'm sure Cory Booker probably isn't the only one doing this. God knows what Mark Warner's loving donations look like.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

The fact that UFO sightings didn’t massively increase once everyone started carrying cameras around with them at all times pretty much confirms that alien UFOs never existed.

Eh... if there were actual aliens visiting, wouldn't they just be more careful, so as to avoid being photographed?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't think him taking money from the manufacturers makes him in any way responsible for what happened at the border, but I think if he expects to score political points for commenting on it and condemning it, he shouldn't be taking that money or he just looks silly. This goes for all Democratic politicians, because I'm sure Cory Booker probably isn't the only one doing this. God knows what Mark Warner's loving donations look like.

Well like I said, if they were small personal donations then he should probably not have a huge problem returning them and saying something (although I'm still confused of how much money he actually got/returned from that article). Its not really a make or break thing for me but I'd totally understand that criticism.

But like I'm not sure I consider it dishonest or hypocritical or anything to say "I oppose gassing refuge children at the border" but not oppose the existence, sale, or use of tear gas itself. Even if I would probably prefer he (or whatever candidate I theoretically am supporting) probably do both. I guess. I don't know. The merit of non-lethal weaponry existing at all seems like a can of worms and a huge other debate that I'm not even sure I know where I stand on.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

FBS posted:

King of the Hill did an episode about visiting Wichita Falls, Texas, which means it's the greatest show ever and also I have exclusive rights to discuss the program because I lived there for a while.

I've been living in a hotel on this stupid airbase for 6 months. Plus side: Met a lot of really good taxi drivers who hate the everloving gently caress out of Cruz.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Charlz Guybon posted:

Eh... if there were actual aliens visiting, wouldn't they just be more careful, so as to avoid being photographed?

if they can be careful enough to avoid being photographed now, with cameras literally everywhere, then why were they not careful 60 years ago?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Look, earth has some really good weed and lead in its gas and - things got a little funny.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
The biggest problem with aliens is that if there are some cosmic intelligent beings that can travel across the vastness of space and visit billions of stars and worlds then why would they give a poo poo about us? Either we are all alone in the universe and very very unique and special, or there is lots of life all over and we are hopelessly boring and common. If it is anywhere in between that, and there are a few other instances of life scattered around the universe, then we will never know or communicate with another one anyway so its no different from there being zero.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

STAC Goat posted:

Well like I said, if they were small personal donations then he should probably not have a huge problem returning them and saying something (although I'm still confused of how much money he actually got/returned from that article). Its not really a make or break thing for me but I'd totally understand that criticism.

But like I'm not sure I consider it dishonest or hypocritical or anything to say "I oppose gassing refuge children at the border" but not oppose the existence, sale, or use of tear gas itself. Even if I would probably prefer he (or whatever candidate I theoretically am supporting) probably do both. I guess. I don't know. The merit of non-lethal weaponry existing at all seems like a can of worms and a huge other debate that I'm not even sure I know where I stand on.

I respect this opinion.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
If we really wanna make a big impact on the universe, we should just start launching probes full of the hardiest bacteria and extremophiles we can find all over the loving place at every big rock we can see. Then maybe in 10M years there will be aliens.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Lightning Knight posted:

I'd be a little miffed! I want to know the answer to the Fermi Paradox!

The answer is global warming of course but what can you do?
I strongly suspect that the answer to the paradox is that there is no other intelligent life.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

thegalagakid posted:

I've been living in a hotel on this stupid airbase for 6 months. Plus side: Met a lot of really good taxi drivers who hate the everloving gently caress out of Cruz.

Where on earth are you taking taxi rides to?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

I strongly suspect that the answer to the paradox is that there is no other intelligent life.

See this doesn’t make sense to me unless there’s something glaringly wrong about our understanding of science and evolution.

I choose to believe it’s the Mass Effect/Dead Space solution and there’s an incomprehensible galactic apex predator that factory farms life as it develops space travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

See this doesn’t make sense to me unless there’s something glaringly wrong about our understanding of science and evolution.

I choose to believe it’s the Mass Effect/Dead Space solution and there’s an incomprehensible galactic apex predator that factory farms life as it develops space travel.

IIRC, mitochondria happened exactly one way, one time.

Probably loads of single celled whatevers though.