Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Martial law is 30 days and affects only select regions.

Offer void in Nebraska

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Kharkov?

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Yup, you have family there? It goes into effect tomorrow.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

HorrificExistence posted:

Yup, you have family there? It goes into effect tomorrow.

Just a online friend I hadn't heard anything from in a little while but should be fine since it says it only goes into full effect if Russia actually does something.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
It was all Russian hybrid warfare bullshittery; they're too broke to afford a serious push for more Ukrainian territory.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

I was in Chernihiv oblast during Peace Corps training. Surreal to see it on the map as under martial law (lol law in Ukraine).

wetdela
Oct 13, 2012

I CAME BACK AFTER 2 YEARS OF SILENCE SO I COULD AGGRO POST IN THE UKRAINE-RUSSIA THREAD.
Edit

wetdela fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 27, 2020

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah, if Poroshenko wanted to use it to postpone elections, the plan's failed. For now anyway.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Yeah, if Poroshenko wanted to use it to postpone elections, the plan's failed. For now anyway.

So far the response seems adequate, but there will be questions if he tried to extend it.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Bloodthristy Large Adult Sons united

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
totally natural confession you got there

https://twitter.com/Ruptly/status/1067345468953427968

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rufnWLVQcKg

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I, Chief O'Brien formerly confess to committing provocative crimes against the Cardassian people and deeply regret my actions.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Speaking of torture, apparently there are multiple clinics in Moscow and St. Petersburg performing and advertising female genital mutilation "services".

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That's quite an audio clip. :staredog:

It was straight out of peculiarities of national fishing lol.
My country is such a goddamn joke. :(

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Ephemeron posted:

Speaking of torture, apparently there are multiple clinics in Moscow and St. Petersburg performing and advertising female genital mutilation "services".

Are they capitalizing on people from other countries where that's a thing or is it catching on among ethnic Russians?

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BattleMaster posted:

Are they capitalizing on people from other countries where that's a thing or is it catching on among ethnic Russians?

It might be a reverse psychology thing where Russian xenophobes open fake clinics to scare regular Russians. Putin is notoriously anti-circumcision.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

qkkl posted:

It might be a reverse psychology thing where Russian xenophobes open fake clinics to scare regular Russians. Putin is notoriously anti-circumcision.

Or, pragmatically, it is just something appealing to hard-line Muslim minorities in Russia.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

BattleMaster posted:

it's a dagestani thing, not a russian thing. not widespread in the slightest, not even in chechnya.

all parties involved are denying ever performing the operation on minors in moscow (not that that means much).

https://themoscowtimes.com/news/female-circumcision-in-moscow-clinic-sparks-outrage-63627

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
I thought making prisoners video confessions was a war crime, or was that just an idea people threw around when Iranians arrested the british marines? Then again, I think the ukrainians did the same to russian soldiers tourists they caught.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 29, 2018

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Rincewinds posted:

I thought making prisoners video confessions was a war crime, or was that just an idea people threw around when Iranians arrested the british marines? Then again, I think the ukrainians did the same to russian soldiers tourists they caught.

Generally, it isn't. You may not torture or exert presure on prisoners of war to collaborate, but interrogating them should be both legal and is custom among most armed forces. IIRC the depiction of such a confession is slightly more questionable but does not rise to the level of what is legally considered a warcrime. It's probably an offense for the soldier in question to collaborate under whatever internal military law the Ukraine has.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Looks like russia just got away with another military action against ukraine. Gee what happened last time we ignored an aggressor...

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

LeoMarr posted:

Looks like russia just got away with another military action against ukraine. Gee what happened last time we ignored an aggressor...

That agressor didn't have any nuclear warheads, now piss off with your bad analogies you bloodthirsty shithead

disclaimer : No I do not think Putin is cool, no Russia is not in the right attacking a sovereign nation, but armchair chauvinism is super loving obnoxious

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

skipThings posted:

That agressor didn't have any nuclear warheads,

And? You're basically saying it would be fine if America walked up and annexed where ever you lived. After all, we have nuclear weapons too so no one should ever try to stop us.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

skipThings posted:

That agressor didn't have any nuclear warheads, now piss off with your bad analogies you bloodthirsty shithead

disclaimer : No I do not think Putin is cool, no Russia is not in the right attacking a sovereign nation, but armchair chauvinism is super loving obnoxious

Its not armchair chauvinism you loving jackass. A country just seized 3 soverign vessels and walked away without a blink on the world stage.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ukraine shouldn't have given up its nukes no matter what anyone said.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Baronjutter posted:

watch out someone might call you a WAR MONGERING BLOOD THIRSTY MONSTER for sharing such an opinion

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

chesnok
Nov 14, 2014

fishmech posted:

And? You're basically saying it would be fine if America walked up and annexed where ever you lived. After all, we have nuclear weapons too so no one should ever try to stop us.

This post is just beautiful in all the right ways.

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

LeoMarr posted:

Its not armchair chauvinism you loving jackass. A country just seized 3 soverign vessels and walked away without a blink on the world stage.
What's the problem? Your idol gets his orders from said country dude :shrug:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

skipThings posted:

Indeed it is chauvinism which motivates taking action against imperialism. That makes lots of sense.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

IIRC, wasn't most of the necessary (and very expensive and in neeed of extensive renovation) infrastructure for maintaining those back in Russia?

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
If you haven't seen it already I strongly recommend watching Putin's official statement about the incident, which he gave tonight. It's basically laying out the official party line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NYgMUoK1oQ

Note: Russian territory was not violated. His entire premise is flawed, unless he is now claiming the entire Azov coast for Russia. Also Putin looks a little worse than usual.

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008
Not the coast just the water. They can keep the land this week.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

So what is the actual legal status of the Kerch straight and international traffic transiting through? I see Russias case is built over the Ukrainian ships being military vessels, and thus exempt from free transfer rights governed by Russia as the straights owner. A risky precedent, considering Russia is dependent on Turkey for Black Sea - Mediterranean transits.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

LeoMarr posted:

then go out and fight for the sovereignity of Ukraine and leave this messageboard behind, until then it's just you being an armchair chauvinist

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mokotow posted:

So what is the actual legal status of the Kerch straight and international traffic transiting through? I see Russias case is built over the Ukrainian ships being military vessels, and thus exempt from free transfer rights governed by Russia as the straights owner. A risky precedent, considering Russia is dependent on Turkey for Black Sea - Mediterranean transits.
According to international law the landmass and surrounding sea Russia is operating from (Crimea) isn't even theirs, so their claim of defending territorial waters is invalid.

They ignore that, but they also signed the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea just like Ukraine did, so they would have to let all ships through for navigation (Bosporus would be that without the Montreux Convention Regarding the Regime of the Straits).

Now let's ignore silly UN conventions and the status of holy Crimea, but wait: Russia and Ukraine also have an agreement on cooperation in the use of the Sea of Azov and the Strait of Kerch, according to which both the sea and the strait are inland waters (ie. they're not territorial waters and don't have an exclusive economic zone). According to this agreement both countries can freely use the strait and the Azov sea, except it only counts if Russia is moving warships around inside of it, I guess.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

HorrificExistence posted:

If you haven't seen it already I strongly recommend watching Putin's official statement about the incident, which he gave tonight. It's basically laying out the official party line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NYgMUoK1oQ

Note: Russian territory was not violated. His entire premise is flawed, unless he is now claiming the entire Azov coast for Russia. Also Putin looks a little worse than usual.

The entire incident was just a political stunt by an incumbent who is not doing well in the polls. A shame really, but what can you do?

RT saying the same thing with a headline ending in a question mark too.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Randler posted:

Generally, it isn't. You may not torture or exert presure on prisoners of war to collaborate, but interrogating them should be both legal and is custom among most armed forces. IIRC the depiction of such a confession is slightly more questionable but does not rise to the level of what is legally considered a warcrime. It's probably an offense for the soldier in question to collaborate under whatever internal military law the Ukraine has.

I'm assuming you're using the term warcrime to mean violating international agreements on the treatment of military prisoners?

In that case, it is a crime to make a spectacle of captured enemy soldiers.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

The entire incident was just a political stunt by an incumbent who is not doing well in the polls. A shame really, but what can you do?
Yeah, Putin should really stop invading other countries the moment his support takes a little dive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

IIRC, wasn't most of the necessary (and very expensive and in neeed of extensive renovation) infrastructure for maintaining those back in Russia?
Also I can't really see the international community being super excited about creating a new European nuclear power in the 90s.