Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sab669 posted:

So I just looked over the "Organized Play" section of the OP. Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else have zero interest in letting random nerds at a game store play with their deck?

I know they need to be sleeved, and I realize I'm being hyperbolic but I just don't want Cheetofingers McLardAss to be grubbing up my stuff. And if someone accidentally (or intentionally) damages a card the deck is literally irreplaceable. If I accidentally tear something, or spill something, I'll be mad at myself but I'll get over it. But if another person does... it would be harder to get over it, I think.

I have no problem casually swapping decks with friends, but more-or-less total strangers at a tournament? No thanks.
:agreed:
Totally reasonable. The events happening near me don't have that style of tournament and I imagine this is why. Lots of tcg types also have really annoying habits that I'd rather not entrust them with my property for an extended period of time. Even something like constant flicking of a corner is not only annoying but it has the potential to uniquely mark your cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
It seems neither reasonable nor charitable to me, but it's probably a pretty common opinion that would have to be accounted for. I'm not sure fat people are actually more likely to destroy your possessions, should they happen to come into contact with them? The existence of Cheetos notwithstanding.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Eghh, gently caress nerds. I played enough Magic that I have zero faith in nerds having hygiene or being decent people. Even getting assholes not to riffle shuffle a $4,000 deck was a trial half the time

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
bought a deck and instead of a cool name it's just a bunch of nonsense words strung together. very disappointing. also i still don't know how to play

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

^^ If you want to learn how to play I'd be down to teach over either thecrucible.online or via Tabletop Simulator!

I'm going to a free funsies tournament this weekend and I'm a bit disappointed that it's just going to be standard Archon (bring your best deck) format, no chain bidding or adaptive or any of that.

I'm thinking of bringing this deck, I hope that it will be strong enough: https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/f5d8aa7c-f69b-4cd1-b51f-fd5ac3c51ed7

CuddlyZombie fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Nov 29, 2018

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

little munchkin posted:

also i still don't know how to play

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

You forgot the second page!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

This is great. When I get home it's all definitely going in the OP.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

CuddlyZombie posted:

You forgot the second page!

Oops! Thanks. Didn't realize it was two images.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Karnegal posted:

Eghh, gently caress nerds. I played enough Magic that I have zero faith in nerds having hygiene or being decent people. Even getting assholes not to riffle shuffle a $4,000 deck was a trial half the time

"BUT I KNOW HOW TO SHUFFLE CARDS THE RIGHT WAY! I PLAYED CARDS IN THE MARINES/SEALS/VEGAS PROFESSIONALLY AND I KNOW HOW TO SHUFFLE CARDS!!!!"

My first MtG tournament the guy permanently stained the sides of my cards with the chocolate he was eating, and then he tried to walk off with the enchant creatures I put on his stuff. Nerds loving suck.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
What are the "special" rarity cards, what do they do and why do they exist?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/dde67894-00d7-4de2-b359-19ffe9b485a9

2-0 with this playing online against randoms so far, and I had 2 friends play with this deck against another one of their decks and it won that too. Obviously 3 games isn't a serious sample, but it feels really strong.

Old Bruno is hard to get off the board, Bait and Switch can be devastating if you play a weak round or two, Nerve Blast + Finishing blow can be a 3 Amber swing while killing something. I think the Halacor maverick is the weakest part just because I almost never get to Fight with this deck, so far. But there's just lots of Elusive and Steal and lots of board control.

Play back, let them get Amber, then steal it all.

Also - thecrucible.online is impressively smooth AND my two matches have been very pleasant opponents. A shame that having a polite game is refreshing :( But hey at least we've got it. I hope FFG doesn't try to shut the project down, but I suppose they probably will?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

UltraRed posted:

What are the "special" rarity cards, what do they do and why do they exist?

Those are cards that have to be included because another card relies on them / synergizes with them specifically.

For example, there's a rare card called Time traveler (2 power Logos creature, play: draw 2, action: shuffle time traveler into your deck). If you get Time Traveler as one of your deck's cards, then you will ALWAYS get the special rarity card Help From Future Self (Logos action, play: Search your deck and discard pile for a Timetraveller, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Shuffle your discard pile into your deck) no matter what.

This helps ensure that you will never get one card without the other. The Four Horsemen work the same way - if you get one, you will always get the other three. If you were to get two Time travelers in your deck, you'd also get two Help From Future Self cards.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
For what it's worth, they look the other way about both OCTGN* and jinteki.net. I think there may have been a corporate take down notice sent to Jinteki once, but it got resolved somehow. Now, if they have their own digital Keyforge in the works, as has been suggested, it's possible that changes.

FFG wants people to play (and stream!) their game, and services like Tabletop Simulator exist in a legal gray area. Basically, it only gets squirelly when someone from legal has to make it.

Edit: the defunct predecessor to jinteki.net

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Basically, it only gets squirelly when someone from legal has to make it.

Yea of course. I'm not super familiar with FFG's practices and was just saying I hope they leave it :shrug: Or if they are making their own.. They should just pay this dude to do it, because I feel like most "Official" products are often not as good as lovingly-made fan solutions. It's just contracted-out jank from a random software studio (see reference poor usability in the official app right now)

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Sab669 posted:

https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/dde67894-00d7-4de2-b359-19ffe9b485a9

2-0 with this playing online against randoms so far, and I had 2 friends play with this deck against another one of their decks and it won that too. Obviously 3 games isn't a serious sample, but it feels really strong.

Old Bruno is hard to get off the board, Bait and Switch can be devastating if you play a weak round or two, Nerve Blast + Finishing blow can be a 3 Amber swing while killing something. I think the Halacor maverick is the weakest part just because I almost never get to Fight with this deck, so far. But there's just lots of Elusive and Steal and lots of board control.

Yea that's a pretty good deck. It doesn't seem to have all that much house synergy, but it's just 12 good cards from 3 good houses. I mostly play Logos/Shadows and both of those lists are super enviable. The Halacor maverick is almost on theme with Logos. Definitely seems like it could be a very successful deck.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

ZorajitZorajit posted:

For what it's worth, they look the other way about both OCTGN* and jinteki.net. I think there may have been a corporate take down notice sent to Jinteki once, but it got resolved somehow. Now, if they have their own digital Keyforge in the works, as has been suggested, it's possible that changes.

FFG wants people to play (and stream!) their game, and services like Tabletop Simulator exist in a legal gray area. Basically, it only gets squirelly when someone from legal has to make it.

Edit: the defunct predecessor to jinteki.net

The official KeyForge Facebook page shared the Crucible site the other day with a "great job designers!" so it's basically sanctioned.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

LifeLynx posted:

The official KeyForge Facebook page shared the Crucible site the other day with a "great job designers!" so it's basically sanctioned.

That was supposedly done on a fan page masked as the official page. FFG wouldn't endorse an online client not made by themselves. Opens up all kinds of issues.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't know much about that ADHD deck analyzer tool, but keyforge-compendium.com ranks that deck I linked yesterday like so:

I'm not exactly sure what the numbers are supposed to represent?

But yea, 11/36 of the cards Give an Amber just for playing it. A good number of them also Steal. Very easy to combo things like Nerve Blast or Poison Wave with Finishing Blow for some big Amber swings.

I'm 4/0 with the deck so far, although 2 of the games were against the same opponent.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

I don't know much about that ADHD deck analyzer tool, but keyforge-compendium.com ranks that deck I linked yesterday like so:

I'm not exactly sure what the numbers are supposed to represent?

But yea, 11/36 of the cards Give an Amber just for playing it. A good number of them also Steal. Very easy to combo things like Nerve Blast or Poison Wave with Finishing Blow for some big Amber swings.

I'm 4/0 with the deck so far, although 2 of the games were against the same opponent.

I'm also not sure how "accurate" that deck analyzer is, but the numbers are an arbitrary value that cards are given in those fields. The numbers to pay attention to in theory are the ones in parentheses, since those are compared to data from a few thousand other decks. The numbers are just set by the creator as far as I know, so take them with a grain of salt. While it is debatable how accurate the scores are for any given card, you can theoretically compare your deck to the average using the parenthetical numbers.

That being said, it can't take into account card combos or synergies, so take the analysis with an even larger grain of salt.

agscala
Jul 12, 2008

For what it's worth, you guys should check out the deck analyzer I put together:

https://burgertokens.com/pages/keyforge-deck-analyzer

It's very unopinionated-- it really just gives you a breakdown of the various types of cards in your deck.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
How long do we think before the 4 horsemen market crashes? I sold that deck last week for $80 BIN, and they still seem to be going in that range. I would guess until the first actual tournament is run maybe? Like once organized play has some results with decklists, I would imagine that unless there are a few top performing 4 horsemen decks they'll drop out of favor a bit.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

agscala posted:

For what it's worth, you guys should check out the deck analyzer I put together:

It's very unopinionated-- it really just gives you a breakdown of the various types of cards in your deck.

I want to check out your tokens but they are always sold out!!!!

Edit: But seriously, your analyzer is really good, and I like it a lot!

CuddlyZombie fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 1, 2018

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
I opened a deck with 22 creatures, 12 actions, 2 upgrades, and 0(!) artifacts.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

agscala posted:

This analyzer rules and is much more consistent than the ADHD one, since it only shows where your deck sits in relation to others.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

CodfishCartographer posted:

This analyzer rules and is much more consistent than the ADHD one, since it only shows where your deck sits in relation to others.

Both these analyzers are pretty awesome. Small sample size but Williams is up 3-0 in games against Stefamatch.

Williams, Bexwyke's Brass Sentinel (Mars, Shadows, Dis)
ADHD Rating
Aember: 14.33 (-3.23)
Board: 14.0 (-4.24)
Aember Control: 10.33 (+4.83)
Efficiency: 11.0 (+3.61)

Stefamatch, the Inventor of the Pub (Shadows, Brobnar, Sanctum)
ADHD Rating
Aember: 18.0 (+0.44)
Board: 20.33 (+2.09)
Aember Control: 7.33 (+1.83)
Efficiency: 6.67 (-0.72)

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Cool Stuff Inc is now selling decks for 12 dollars. That's kinda scummy.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Gorefiend posted:

is that more or less scummy than opening decks, repacking them and selling them for $15-$200 based on their contents

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Gorefiend posted:

Not really. If they were looking inside the packs and then upselling the ones that had "good cards" and then resealing others, that would be scummy.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

6-1 with Slayer Ozric Cirvate after an event today. Lost to another Shadows-Logos-Brobnar deck.

I made 2 major misplays, including Wild Wormhole -> Poison Wave when I wanted to Coward's End the next turn and... I forget what the other one was :v: but it was a close and long game due to all the Steal from dual Shadows.

My LGS is constantly out of stock of this game, it's nuts how fast it's flying off the shelf and I'm super happy to see a sizeable community for it.

I heard an interesting ruling today; someone was trying to say if you name House Dis to activate Dominator Bauble you can only Use a Dis creature :stare: They were basing it off this section of the rules, but like, what would even be the purpose of the Bauble if you had to use a Dis creature :wtc:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

It literally dominates a creature from another house, lol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

that person needs to be smacked lol

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Quidthulhu posted:

It literally dominates a creature from another house, lol

I wasn't even paying attention to the card name when at the store - I wish I just said this.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I got a couple of decks to play with a friend and one of the decks is pretty decent: https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/1454c6e7-3a92-4afe-abc2-6b64dda62828

It plays pretty decently. It has really good amber generation with three dust pixies, full moon and hunting witch, as well as other untamed heavy hitters. Lots of steal with bait and switch, dodger, noddy, nerve blast, neuro syphon and batdrone. There's a bit of direct damage with the seeker needles, positron bolt, nerve blast and special delivery. And masterplanning the Strange Gizmo gives me a board clear if the situation is getting out of control. Some of my other logos cards aren't great but there's a huge number of tools in this deck.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Tekopo posted:

I got a couple of decks to play with a friend and one of the decks is pretty decent: https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/1454c6e7-3a92-4afe-abc2-6b64dda62828

It plays pretty decently. It has really good amber generation with three dust pixies, full moon and hunting witch, as well as other untamed heavy hitters. Lots of steal with bait and switch, dodger, noddy, nerve blast, neuro syphon and batdrone. There's a bit of direct damage with the seeker needles, positron bolt, nerve blast and special delivery. And masterplanning the Strange Gizmo gives me a board clear if the situation is getting out of control. Some of my other logos cards aren't great but there's a huge number of tools in this deck.

That looks really strong.

Masterplan + Strange Gizmo wouldn't use the ability though, it would just put the artifact into play so you'd still need to be able to forge a key on your next turn to activate it.

I love that you have some powerful repeatable artifacts in each house though; Special Delivery is a great card and this deck is a perfect example why having a source of purge is so important. 3x Seeker Needle with a lone copy of Bad Penny is also perfect. Artifact control is also something that I'm really looking for in decks now.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

PaybackJack posted:

That looks really strong.

Masterplan + Strange Gizmo wouldn't use the ability though, it would just put the artifact into play so you'd still need to be able to forge a key on your next turn to activate it.

I love that you have some powerful repeatable artifacts in each house though; Special Delivery is a great card and this deck is a perfect example why having a source of purge is so important. 3x Seeker Needle with a lone copy of Bad Penny is also perfect. Artifact control is also something that I'm really looking for in decks now.
Oh yeah it just means I can activate Strange Gizmo while choosing whichever house I want and frees my hand from actually having to hold Strange Gizmo until I want to use the nuclear option and have set up for it. It just makes the card much more flexible than it is.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Tekopo posted:

Oh yeah it just means I can activate Strange Gizmo while choosing whichever house I want and frees my hand from actually having to hold Strange Gizmo until I want to use the nuclear option and have set up for it. It just makes the card much more flexible than it is.

That's fair, it does let you get the Gizmo "on the board" without locking you into the house when you decide you're going to want to pop it. It does give you some flexibility as to when you can use it too.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

What happens if you play Wild Wormhole and hit an upgrade card with no creatures on the board? I'm assuming it just goes directly to your discard, but I'm not completely certain.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm sure it goes to the discard pile, yea. Wormhole says PLAY the card, so it's not like it would go to your hand if you don't have a target for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agscala
Jul 12, 2008

Kaethela posted:

What happens if you play Wild Wormhole and hit an upgrade card with no creatures on the board? I'm assuming it just goes directly to your discard, but I'm not completely certain.

It goes back onto the top of your deck actually. Cards that can't be played (including Kelfi Dragon) go back on top of your deck.

You can read more about it here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2094960/kelifi-dragon-wild-wormhole-and-bad-penny-v-steale