Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Hey thread, BestBuy is selling two Labo kits for $99 and I am interested in getting them for my nephew. He is turning 5 in January (so I was gonna do one kit for Xmas and one for his birthday). I’m worried it might be too complicated for him in spite of the fact that he’s very advanced for his age. Does anyone have experience with Labo who could advise me? Will he be too young?
If he is as you said advanced for his age and has the patience for spending like two hours on a set he should be fine. The instructions on building have text but it's all fluff like telling you to take a break while the important stuff is all very well visualized. My advice would be that you or a parent sit down with him and help with one or two builds and after that he should get the gist of it.
Take a look at this video of the Giant Bomb guys tooling around with it to get an idea of how it works.
https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/lets-building-with-labo/2300-13004/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Hey thread, BestBuy is selling two Labo kits for $99 and I am interested in getting them for my nephew. He is turning 5 in January (so I was gonna do one kit for Xmas and one for his birthday). I’m worried it might be too complicated for him in spite of the fact that he’s very advanced for his age. Does anyone have experience with Labo who could advise me? Will he be too young?
1. Do you mean actually advanced for his age or every family thinks their kid is a super genius advanced for his age?
2. Will there be close and invested adult supervision?

I really think that a super interested and helpful adult is of paramount importance, as is making "labo time" an always 100% adult involved activity. It's a commitment that you'd be making probably for the parents rather than yourself (if you don't want the thing destroyed in a week) so I'd make sure that they're OK with it. Gifts for kids that make more work for the parents can be pretty lovely.

If yes though, it's pretty drat great.

BisterdDave posted:

Are you saying Nintendo can't be ran better than it currently is?

That would be an insanely stupid position even if you think they are doing very, very well.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I did variety kit with my four year old and vehicle kit with the same child who was now five. I did most of the work on the first one but probably because he was younger. The vehicle kit he really got to help and feel like he was helping. Mostly by punching out the pieces and the holes, doing creases on the easy pieces, and letting him snap tabs into slots.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

KingSlime posted:

Lot of business men are stupid fucks sure but I still don't see what's so controversial about the idea that, in order to maintain the same momentum for next year, Nintendo should release a new sku or offer a price drop.

Maintaining momentum of the fantastic sales they enjoyed this this year is not the same thing as avoiding complete and total doom

When I say call business men dumb fucks every day that includes Nintendo business men

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Bloop posted:

1. Do you mean actually advanced for his age or every family thinks their kid is a super genius advanced for his age?
2. Will there be close and invested adult supervision?

I really think that a super interested and helpful adult is of paramount importance, as is making "labo time" an always 100% adult involved activity. It's a commitment that you'd be making probably for the parents rather than yourself (if you don't want the thing destroyed in a week) so I'd make sure that they're OK with it. Gifts for kids that make more work for the parents can be pretty lovely.

If yes though, it's pretty drat great.

I mean I don’t have any quantifiable test score or something showing his intelligence. He started negotiating with adults by making well-reasoned arguments at like age 2 which we all thought was crazy. He can read a little bit and this could be a chance to help him with that. He is pretty lacking in patience though so that would make it tough. I’m certainly willing to sit down with him and work on a kit but I will for sure ask his parents first. He really loves video games and also crafts and I thought this could be a great way to bridge that gap and make his video game time more educational and creative.

We are also worried about him potentially destroying it but with an adult working closely he should be okay.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
*me, at Codemasters' HQ, staring at a shelf of 360 games*: "Hmm...what 7/10 game from our catalogue would Switch owners pay $40 for..."

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

*me, at Every Single Publisher And Second-Rate Indie Dev's HQ, staring at a shelf of 360 games*: "Hmm...what 7/10 game from our catalogue would Switch owners pay $40 for..."

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

*me, at Codemasters' HQ, staring at a shelf of 360 games*: "Hmm...what 7/10 game from our catalogue would Switch owners pay $40 for..."

Literally all of them, we starvin

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Kins posted:

*me, at Every Single Publisher And Second-Rate Indie Dev's HQ, staring at a shelf of 360 games*: "Hmm...what 7/10 game from our catalogue would Switch owners pay $40 for..." 

*me, at GameStop* ALL OF THEM. ALL OF THEM!!!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I unorincally love overpaying for old ports as long as it means p o r t a b i l i t y

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

TheScott2K posted:

SEVERANCE: BLADE OF DARKNESS WHEN?!?!?!

I actually really like that game.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Imagine if the Nintendo Switch had good games.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Tiger Woods 2012 coming soon to Switch

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Just bring me Timesplitters HD. That's it, that's all. GOTY 2019 - 2022.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/Grimezsz/status/1067964776876134401

Is this a nod to Metroid: Other M? :v:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

:pray:

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Literally all of them, we starvin

Yeah, I mean, I'd rather have any of the Dirts over GRID, but I need cars.

I'm not even a car guy, but a good racing game is just a big piece of the console puzzle for me.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I mean I don’t have any quantifiable test score or something showing his intelligence. He started negotiating with adults by making well-reasoned arguments at like age 2 which we all thought was crazy. He can read a little bit and this could be a chance to help him with that. He is pretty lacking in patience though so that would make it tough. I’m certainly willing to sit down with him and work on a kit but I will for sure ask his parents first. He really loves video games and also crafts and I thought this could be a great way to bridge that gap and make his video game time more educational and creative.

We are also worried about him potentially destroying it but with an adult working closely he should be okay.

Also, I would advice in buying the variety and veichle kits. The robot would probably appeal the most to him but the games that come with it are supposedly really lacking and mediocre.
And keep in mind that all the cardboard crap takes up a lot of space so consider that.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Business isn't a meritocracy. gently caress business men. Say they are stupid fucks every day.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
we wouldn't have a nintendo switch without businessmen

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Timesplitters 2 or Future Perfect would be far better than the original game :colbert:.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I need House of the Dead 2 for Switch ASAP. where the gently caress are my lightgun games. Still waiting for SUPERHOT.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Yeah, I mean, I'd rather have any of the Dirts over GRID, but I need cars.

I'm not even a car guy, but a good racing game is just a big piece of the console puzzle for me.

got some bad news for you, sport

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Over There posted:

it's a tempting trade-off

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Over There posted:

Nintendo are not business men they are all elderly toymakers in a workshop who spend all day crafting video games out of love and all night wishing to the blue fairy they were real

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

TheScott2K posted:

got some bad news for you, sport

Let me revise that to "a decent racing game."

I actually like GRID. :iiam:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Let me revise that to "a decent racing game."

I actually like GRID. :iiam:

I was actually stupidly into Grid 1 and if that was the one being ported I'd loving preorder it.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

TheScott2K posted:

I was actually stupidly into Grid 1 and if that was the one being ported I'd loving preorder it.

Oh dang, I didn't realize this was a 3rd GRID. Did they gently caress it up? I thought the first GRID was lots of fun.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Switch is basically the GBA2... lots of ports from previous gen home consoles that we're happily (re)buying for the shear ability to play on the toilet.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

My god... we've had the Switch since March 2003

(I refuse to recognize non-backlit GBAs)

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Oh dang, I didn't realize this was a 3rd GRID. Did they gently caress it up? I thought the first GRID was lots of fun.

They took Grid 2, put cockpit back in (good), got rid of the hilarious ESPN FMVs (boooo), and gave the whole thing a more "sim-lite" vibe. I'd put it somewhere between Grid and Grid 2 quality-wise.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Not a Children posted:

(I refuse to recognize non-backlit GBAs)

Seeing what you play is overrated

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Andrast posted:

That's why I play DOOM on the Nintendo Switch. The low res protects me from the horror

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

zenintrude posted:

Switch is basically the GBA2... lots of ports from previous gen home consoles that we're happily (re)buying for the shear ability to play on the toilet.

I got the GBA warrioware game the day before I got a horrible stomach bug.

I’m pretty sure I completed that game entirely on the toilet.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

zenintrude posted:

Now I'm just thinking about how great WarioWare Twisted would look and play on Switch.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

when we were kids we used attachable lights on our game boys AND WE LIKED IT damnit!!

also these things. they even magnified the tiny screen! :krad:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Reminder that the 3ds was $50 more than the switch on release

e: $50 less. Still

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Then after you use those lights for a while you buy the afterburner kit and add the drat light yourself.

Never should have let my roommate's kid have that one, stupid me.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Asking mom to keep the lights on in the car so you could see your GBA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Not a Children posted:

Reminder that the 3ds was $50 more than the switch on release

e: $50 less. Still

what did they end up doing to stimulate sales of the 3DS I can't remember