Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

beep by grandpa posted:

I just REALLY hope this fo76 disaster marks the end of reviewers always giving them a free pass on dumping buggy messes of barely functioning poo poo on customers and getting 9/10 scores while if it was any developer they'd be docked/poo poo on massively for it.

This is one of my favorite patch note excerpts:

Forgive my memory here faithful gamers but I think even World of Warcraft eliminated all debuff durations the not exceed 15min in like 2007 and then to 5min max not too long after except for special cases lmao
I'm pretty sure all the diseases last one real world hour. I'm not sure if the clock ticks when you're not logged in but I definitely had bone worms for an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Akuma posted:

ESO is okay but it does feel quite heavily dumbed down, especially in conversations - I don't think you're ever given a conversation choice in the entire game, you just choose them all to get all the information.

Wasn't dumbed down conversations a problem in FO4 as well? If this is the trend, I'm seriously concerned for ESVI.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Azran posted:

I'm out of the loop. What happened with F: 76?

Instant Grat posted:

The collector's edition was advertised as including a canvas bag, but the bag people actually received is made out of cheap, lovely nylon. When contacted about it, customer support responded (paraphrasing) "yeah it turned out the canvas bags were too expensive to make. We're not planning on doing anything to rectify this. Enjoy your game."

They've now changed this to "We will give you $5 worth of smurfberry monopoly money microtransaction currency as recompense for lying to you about what the collector's edition contained."

Note that this doesn't actually cost them anything.

Also note that this lovely gift of 5$ worth of digital money is to address complaints by people who spent 200$ on the collector's edition.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Excited to play some more Yakuza0 this evening! :D
I have been thinking about it all day since it was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

BisterdDave posted:

Wasn't dumbed down conversations a problem in FO4 as well? If this is the trend, I'm seriously concerned for ESVI.
I didn't play it so I don't know, but in FO76 they just turned them into one sided conversations so there's not even the illusion of choice.

Bring back Daggerfall conversations so you can ask literally everyone about literally anything. Actually just bring back everything from Daggerfall.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

beep by grandpa posted:

I just REALLY hope this fo76 disaster marks the end of reviewers always giving them a free pass on dumping buggy messes of barely functioning poo poo on customers and getting 9/10 scores while if it was any developer they'd be docked/poo poo on massively for it.

This is one of my favorite patch note excerpts:

Forgive my memory here faithful gamers but I think even World of Warcraft eliminated all debuff durations to not exceed 15min in like 2007 and then to 5min max not too long after except for special cases lmao

Fallout 76 seemed like a real world experiment on how bad a Bethesda game actually needed to be before it got a Metacritic below 90

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

VideoGames posted:

Excited to play some more Yakuza0 this evening! :D
I have been thinking about it all day since it was mentioned earlier in the thread.

It's the best Yakuza game probably, though I personally like 5 and K2 more.

I really hope Yakuza 5 gets remastered, even if it's maybe the longest game in existence. The platinum trophy for Yakuza 5 requires some kind of brain disease to get.

Anora posted:

They already made a PS5witch guys, it was called the Vita, it was good, but unsupported.

remember the original model with the video out port and the tv scaler that went completely unused lol

i can't believe people though "second screen" was the way to go, Microsoft did that poo poo too and even Nintendo went full press on it before realizing nobody loving wanted a second screen. they wanted a mobile device that could easily send video out to the TV.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 29, 2018

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
All the Yakuza platinum trophies are exclusively for people who think it's a good idea to keep playing a game long after you're no longer having fun with it - that doesn't stop the games from being wonderful. Trophies are incredibly stupid and your Gamer's Life will improve immensely once you turn trophy notifications off and stop giving a poo poo about them.

(I think the ending card told me I had 75+ hours played in Yakuza 5 when I beat it, and I was nowhere near a platinum trophy. Instead, I had a lot of fun)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Instant Grat posted:

All the Yakuza platinum trophies are exclusively for people who think it's a good idea to keep playing a game long after you're no longer having fun with it -

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I literally learned the rules of mahjong to get trophies in Yakuza and am now part of a local club which is a good indication of my brain worm level

(not shogi though, I hate chess and just used a computer for those challenges)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's better for a game's trophy list to be replete with bullshit so you just flat-out reject it on a visceral level than appear to be doable only to reveal 1-2 bullshit achievements that get in the way of 100%.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
The alternative is Bloodborne, where the platinum trophy is just "do all the stuff there is to meaningfully do in the game".

Trophychievements are either inconsequential or ridiculous. And then there's, like..... 3 games, ever, that have done unique and interesting things with them (Stanley Parable, NieR:A, maybe one or two more)

Feels Villeneuve posted:

(not shogi though, I hate chess and just used a computer for those challenges)

See this is my point, what is even the idea behind doing this just to make a badge no-one else will ever look at pop on a server somewhere. How is that engaging

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Dead Rising 1 had the best achievements. That just nailed the mix of being actually difficult poo poo that made you play the game in unusual but entertaining ways (except Zombie Genocide, gently caress that one)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I really hope Yakuza 5 gets remastered, even if it's maybe the longest game in existence.

It's getting one on PS4 (albeit mostly an upscale of the PS3 version with higher crowd density).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Horizon Zero Dawn and Hellblade had really easy achievements, those are the only two games I've ever gotten all the trophies for. And I guess AC Odyssey too now, which is surprisingly forgiving for a game of its size.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

univbee posted:

It's getting one on PS4 (albeit mostly an upscale of the PS3 version with higher crowd density).

I mean, yeah but they still haven't announced the Western release. It's the same engine as Y0 so as long as they still have assets for higher rez textures it should look fantastic (Y0 is a great, great looking game even on a PS3 engine)

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
The original Mirror's Edge also had some nifty "do this complicated karate move"-achievements (kick off one wall, then kick off another wall, then do a backflip somersault kick - that sort of thing) - they only took a few seconds to actually perform, but required a bunch more time to actually get into your muscle memory. And then you just had that in your repertoire for the rest of the game. That was cool.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

exquisite tea posted:

It's better for a game's trophy list to be replete with bullshit so you just flat-out reject it on a visceral level than appear to be doable only to reveal 1-2 bullshit achievements that get in the way of 100%.

Exactly. It's frustrating to be one trophy away that consists of painstakingly following a guide to collect 50 useless things across the map. I've even done this a few times but it's dumb to do

BBs plat trophy is funny since you can cheese it by savescumming.

Oh and speaking of yak2, I constantly dominate any and every hostess championship in both 0 and 2. Last night I only did two rounds in the top league, said eh I have the same number of fans as the opponent, and went in. I won by 200k out of 7m earnings, solely due to the oil baron at the end :sweatdrop:

What happens if you lose one of those?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Agreed and I also hate when there're things to unlock by playing games on the hardest difficulty, backwards, no saving, pacifist, no alerts. I'd love to play around with some of the cool things you added to the game but damned if I'm gonna devote three hours to solving a mid game encounter because I can only survive- with 10% of my health remaining- one enemy looking at me before getting shot around a corner by one of his friends behind a bus.

Anyway, I bought remastered Last of Us and the Evil Within 2 and what is this bethesda account nonsense? As if Origin and windows live weren't bad enough!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I hate achievements

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Instant Grat posted:

See this is my point, what is even the idea behind doing this just to make a badge no-one else will ever look at pop on a server somewhere. How is that engaging

I like it when the number goes up and my brain worms get happy.

(also Yakuza achievement chasing literally got me into playing a board game I actually really like so hey)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Over There posted:

I hate achievements

first thing i do on every new console is turn them off cos they are the most immersion-breaking poo poo ever

( :goonsay: muh immersion!!! :goonsay: )

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I bought my brother in law horizon zero Dawn and he still hasn't played it, he instead spent months getting every trophy in every uncharted game which is the least fun thing possible. I'm still mad

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

mastershakeman posted:

What happens if you lose one of those?

If it's like Y0 you lose a percentage of your fans and have to get them back iirc. Also your A-team will probably have lovely moods and need to be rested which is annoying as poo poo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Steam lets you display your top 'cheeves when people click on your account so you can say you're one of the .002% who did some crazy obsessive achievement no person in their right mind would attempt.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

exquisite tea posted:

Steam lets you display your top 'cheeves when people click on your account so you can say you're one of the .002% who did some crazy obsessive achievement no person in their right mind would attempt.

people mainly ended up doing this to showcase all the achievements they had gotten with "69" or "420" in the title

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BisterdDave posted:

The problem with Fallout 4's conversations was the options stated could vary quite wildly from what'd actually be said, or even contradict it. Some of the more popular mods on PC just replace it with the actual spoken dialogue that will be said and it looks no different layout-wise.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
You shouldn't shame others for wanting to get trophies/achievements. If you don't like it, so be it. Don't worry too much about how others enjoy video games. Unless it's Fallout 76, then you can worry all you want.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BisterdDave posted:

You shouldn't shame others for wanting to get trophies/achievements. If you don't like it, so be it. Don't worry too much about how others enjoy video games. Unless it's Fallout 76, then you can worry all you want.

Anyone with the Fallout 76 Plat is scary indeed.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah I mean they're dumb but on the other hand they got me to try a bunch of poo poo in the Yakuza games that I'd probably not have touched otherwise (mainly the gambling games), and those ended up being really fun lol.

I really hate that most of the gambling games are still not ported into the new engine, hopefully that's fixed by Judge Eyes. I wanna play baccarat!!!

(also the pink numbers on the tiles in the dragon engine are truly hideous. who thought this was acceptable)

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 29, 2018

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
played nothing but yakuza since june i think? will have to check my 0 trophy list but i had a quick break with spider-man in early september then and a chapter or two of rdr2 october but lol its all in baby, 0 twice, kiwami, kiwami 2, ps2 versions, yakuza 3 right now and 4,5 & 6 wait for me and not even a hint of burnout. you should get ready for the incredible poo poo that is awaiting you in yakuza 3. rear end quills!

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 29, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Akuma posted:

For me it's only been busted in the usual Bethesda ways, and I barely see other people, when I do they're just doing their own thing, I've played it completely solo. But you play games with your significant other, right? I'd imagine that would be great. I'm sure I'm going to play with my friends eventually and I'm looking forward to that, but it doesn't feel (yet) like I'm missing out by being alone - in fact the excellent soundtrack really plays into that isolated, lonely feel. It's on the streaming services so I'd recommend that for some flavour of the game.

I just got near the end of a quest chain (I think) where some voice I heard on the radio was blocking me from getting where I needed to go to find some fairly important (in world) information - to get there she was forcing me to find something and install it in a big radio array. I found the overseer's (lady you're basically chasing in the footsteps of the whole game) thoughts on this NPC and she rightly characterises her as a total dick.

So I found the things I needed (one of which was on a crashed train that was guarded by a bunch of Mr Gutsys - talking about dicks...) and installed it, then she revealed to me that I'd helped her take over the emergency radio system, that she was a piece of poo poo raider, and she was going to use it to attract like minded individuals and gently caress up everyone else because lol.

And I was like oh :(

But of course, there's no NPCs in the game...
ESO is okay but it does feel quite heavily dumbed down, especially in conversations - I don't think you're ever given a conversation choice in the entire game, you just choose them all to get all the information.

I don't regret finishing the main campaign and the Morrowind expansion, though.

We live together and swap off or do couch coop so unfortunately F76 wouldn’t work for us. I’m glad you seem to be enjoying it! I love the main Bethesda games to death (gf does as well) so I’ll eventually try it but not for a while. I’ll buy it the day it gets a pure solo mode tbh.

The lonely isolated feeling that they went for seems so good. It’s hard to figure out why they combined it with an online only game. Who knows. Fuckin’ Todd. You beautiful insane boy, Todd.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem with Fallout 4's conversations was the options stated could vary quite wildly from what'd actually be said, or even contradict it. Some of the more popular mods on PC just replace it with the actual spoken dialogue that will be said and it looks no different layout-wise.

*Shove forcefully*

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I remember one review pointing out the dialogue option of "compromise" which gave you zero clue as to what compromise you actually would be proposing

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/screencuisine/status/1067985020336230401?s=19

I love video game trainwrecks so, so much. I think this has far surpassed Andromeda and even Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric at this point in the last 5 years of bombs but I think I might be forgetting one more...

Edit: Battlefront 2. I think this is probably on par but not worse just yet.

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 29, 2018

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Fallout 76 truly is a blighted hellscape

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Bethesda...Bethesda never changes...

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

univbee posted:

Anyone with the Fallout 76 Plat is scary indeed.

I saw that on Xbox someone spent 2,000 hours to get all the sea of thieves achievements.

That is a broken man.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

beep by grandpa posted:

https://twitter.com/screencuisine/status/1067985020336230401?s=19

I love video game trainwrecks so, so much. I think this has far surpassed Andromeda and even Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric at this point in the last 5 years of bombs but I think I might be forgetting one more...

Edit: Battlefront 2. I think this is probably on par but not worse just yet.

This is a far bigger trainwreck because it's a service game. It's supposed to have a long sustainable lifespan, generating income off microtransactions to pay off whatever money they sank into it for the foreseeable future and turn a tidy profit on top of that.

Between the generally bad reviews, treating their whales like chumps (ie; the people who willingly forked over $200+ for the Collector's Edition), and just plain being buggy as hell, it's gonna be dead and buried within three to six months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
https://twitter.com/yoyinob/status/...887417464692749

https://twitter.com/WalmartCanada/s...887417464692749

walmart canada at it again!