Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The TMNT movie kinda owns though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I'm extremely mad this movie doesn't come out for two more weeks, I've been hyped as hell for it since the first trailer came out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PierreTheMime posted:

I never really read his relationship in the first film with Vanellope as a parent/child, and it certainly doesn’t come off that way in the second.

The movie really isn't too subtle about them mostly bonding over their shared experience as outsiders, there's far more of a simply platonic friends (and maybe brother and sister) deal with them. Ralph is still pretty immature and all, his whole deal being he has stunted social skills and a horrible temper.

And I'm not too surprised on Spider-verse being pretty good, it seems like it's an interesting clean break from the kinda stagnant comic book movie status quo (see also Venom) and has plenty of fun with the convoluted comics lore by simply presenting it as is rather than constantly trying to justify it. Movies are more fun when they're not ashamed of their own premise, who'da thunk it.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The TMNT movie kinda owns though

There are parts of the TMNT movie that own, yes, and even more parts of the sequel that owned harder... but they were attached to movies that did not own, and are in fact boring, drab slogs that did not have the same courage of conviction that the own-y bits did. This and the acting of the live action characters... or perhaps the acting direction, not sure which.

And some reviewers are good, it's just a matter of following the ones that suit your taste and make sound arguments.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So not only is Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse getting rave reviews. It just won best animated film in the New York Film Critics Circle, beating Incredibles 2.

Might Disney for the first time in forever not take home the best animated Oscar?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Let me see, the last time Disney or Pixar didn't win would have been... I'm going to say Rango? I'm pretty sure it won. Don't know how long ago that was, though. Ten years?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Wheat Loaf posted:

Let me see, the last time Disney or Pixar didn't win would have been... I'm going to say Rango? I'm pretty sure it won. Don't know how long ago that was, though. Ten years?

2011 apparently, and the last time before that was Happy Feet in 2006.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Kind of funny that the first ever animated movie Oscar was won by Shrek.

Edit: And the other two nominees that year were Monsters Inc. (probably what people expected to win) and... Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shrek deserves it over that competition and Incredibles 2 is half a good movie and half a dull one and the dull one involves a super villain and fighting crime somehow.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure I saw all three of them in the cinema. I laughed the most at Shrek but in retrospect I've liked Monsters Inc. better when I've watched it again.

I saw Shark Tale in the theatre but not Finding Nemo.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Shrek gets crapped on for some reason but the original is really good and was needed at the time. Much like Annie Hall really did deserve the oscar over Star Wars, so did Shrek over whatever else was up.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Pick posted:

Shrek gets crapped on for some reason but the original is really good and was needed at the time. Much like Annie Hall really did deserve the oscar over Star Wars, so did Shrek over whatever else was up.

Shrek is pretty bad tbh although it's not that bad. It mostly suffers from being ugly (how ironic).

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Shrek is good

Monsters Inc. is better, but Shrek is good

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

People's opinion of Shrek has been tainted by time and and the trends it inspired, but it remains a decent movie now and a great movie at the time. It has great vocal performances and is full of memorable line deliveries. It doesn't look any worse than anything else released at the time. Most of monsters inc. takes place in blank grey corridors so it is pretty ugly looking on rewatch.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Shrek is what forced Disney to stop doing the problematic poo poo they were doing and start doing new problematic poo poo but it was a useful callout for the former.

It's a model that has been refined since its release since almost every animated film since then has been to some considerable degree inspired by it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Pick posted:

It doesn't matter, they'll cancel it anyway. The blurb and single teaser poster they put out will just be to deflate the accurate accusation that they only re-tread sequels now. By 2022, we'll all be safely looking forward to Monster Babies, Inc. and A Bug's Life 2.

They’ve been working on a movie featuring elves for a long rear end time now. Before it was based on a Phil Dick story but someone at that studio clearly thinks that what is missing from modern animation is some Lord of the Rings-rear end elves. (As opposed to some Santa’s Workshop-rear end elves, of course)

Edit: I have been informed that King of the Elves was a WDAS project, but if you think all that concept art for “vaguely modern elves” didn’t get shipped up to Pixar you’re crazy

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 30, 2018

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Pick posted:

Shrek is what forced Disney to stop doing the problematic poo poo they were doing and start doing new problematic poo poo but it was a useful callout for the former.

It's a model that has been refined since its release since almost every animated film since then has been to some considerable degree inspired by it.

Maybe the new Shrek could be a call out for modern cgi. At the very least take the piss out of small screaming cgi things.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I laughed like an idiot when Ralph opened the box and a bunch of bees went out and there was a bee pun. The desperation to get likes and views. The stupid poo poo to do so.

:( I missed the after credit stuff but oh well.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Ya know it occurs to me that the end credits song from the first Wreck-it Ralph would've fit really well for the second movie

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Gatts posted:

:( I missed the after credit stuff but oh well.

When will you see it again?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked Shrek fine when it came out (one of maybe three movies I've seen twice in the cinema), I just think it's funny that it won the award that seems like it was created just to be given to Pixar.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

theblackw0lf posted:

So not only is Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse getting rave reviews. It just won best animated film in the New York Film Critics Circle, beating Incredibles 2.

Might Disney for the first time in forever not take home the best animated Oscar?

Heh

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

:hmmyes:

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
If Disney loses this year, it's more likely that Smallfoot will take the win.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'd give it to Smallfoot but that's no surprise.

I'm not super keen on the non-main yetis, aside from the Stonekeeper design, but aside from that it's a visual treat, story's good, songs are good, theme is good, good movie. The animation itself is off the chain, too, reminds me of the good aspects of Hotel Transylvania (artistically).

What really struck me is actually the use of lighting in particular.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
But Oscar voters don't have time for that cheap Chinese crap!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Smallfoot was good, but I won't go to bat for it the same way I would with Trolls. I enjoyed WIR2 more, though the songs in Smallfoot were generally pretty good. WIR2's story/theme hit me way harder than anything in Smallfoot.

I dunno why that one Yeti, smeech or whatever the gently caress, didn't get left on the cutting room floor though because god was he an awful character

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Trolls is better, but then again I contend that Trolls is loving top-tier for the last decade and it's probably in my top 20 films ever. Probably going to be hard for it to bump off Network but I think it's stellar.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Macaluso posted:

Ya know it occurs to me that the end credits song from the first Wreck-it Ralph would've fit really well for the second movie

I remember watching the credits and for some reason the Batman Theme was in there. I have no idea when they used the Batman Theme in the movie.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I remember watching the credits and for some reason the Batman Theme was in there. I have no idea when they used the Batman Theme in the movie.

My roommate said it was the Adam West TV show theme?

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Madagascar 3 is on TV at work and I looked up just in time to see a small child get lodged headfirst and waist deep up an elephant's anus.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
i would like a cartoon about me having sex with an ancient fig tree

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Does disney really need Pixar as a separate entity anymore

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
I actually ended up enjoying WIR2 a bit more than I thought I would, though I did often go from "this is actually kinda enjoyable" to "dear god this is already so dated". I can't wait to see how it holds up ten years down the line, it'll be like watching a movie where the characters are like "Woah, it's Myspace!! Wow, Geocities!!"

I do have to say I wasn't expecting to feel so sad after watching it :smith: I have a fair few good long-distance friends who I only get to see for a few days once a year, so Ralph waving Vanellope off made me think of having to say bye to my friends at the train station knowing that I'll still be able to talk to them on Discord and play games with them, but won't get to physically hang out again until the following year.

Also, I didn't go into the movie expecting to laugh much, but goddamn that visual gag of the player characters in Slaughter Race moving so jerkily was hilarious to me

ThermoPhysical posted:

My roommate said it was the Adam West TV show theme?

It's from when the Disney princesses get custom shirts made for them and it does the old Batman transition screen but with the Disney castle logo instead of a bat

I don't think that really needs spoilering, but just in case :shrug:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Butt Detective posted:

I actually ended up enjoying WIR2 a bit more than I thought I would, though I did often go from "this is actually kinda enjoyable" to "dear god this is already so dated". I can't wait to see how it holds up ten years down the line, it'll be like watching a movie where the characters are like "Woah, it's Myspace!! Wow, Geocities!!"

to be fair, they did pretty much use only websites that have pretty strong legs. like, ebay is the only real plot critical website that is also a real website, everything else is either made up or owned by Disney. even Pintrest will hold up cause even if the site itself disappears, the actual visual of the pin wouldn't be affected since it's divorced from the function of the site, so you don't need to know what it's used for to get the joke.

it's actually fairly interesting how they get the functions of various websites across through visual language. like, ebay is a huge auction floor where everybody can browse and bid on whatever they want, while twitter is a bunch of birds that will echo the latest big tweet, Gmail is a baggage train presumably delivering messages around, and comments on YouTube are dumped into a huge empty void that nobody reads

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I guess Slaughter Race would have to change its ESRB rating now that players are violently gunning down a candy-themed nine year old girl in the game?

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
I want to know what the Slaughter Race devs would think about a new character suddenly appearing and becoming part of their game that they themselves did not add, you can't present to me a world where people recognise Ralph as an old arcade game character but won't recognise Vanellope and also have her inclusion go viral across the internet <:mad:>

I also want to know how Felix was covering for Ralph in his game

I ALSO want to know how Ralph's videos actually appeared to the people watching them, did he look like a CGI character to them? Did he just look like someone made a near-realistic Ralph model and animated him near-realistically??

The answer is probably "don't think about it too hard"

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Oh yeah, the whole thing breaks down in the first movie when you ask yourself if every game has its own Ralph.

Which sounds like a better premise for this movie, really.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Give me a short about Felix and Calhoun. Such precious little screentime for them. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Ask me about my idea for a Wreck It Ralph world in Kingdom Hearts WHAT IF sora donald and goofy visit the wreck it ralph world and there's a smaller kingdom hearts world within the wreck it ralph world which also has its own wreck it ralph world

Butt Detective posted:

Did anyone else notice Geocities was in the movie :grin: