Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

TotalLossBrain posted:

I imagine any crafty attorney would immediately question why you'd do that.

"May it please the court to not have to hear me badly singing along to the 1980s classic "Take On Me" by A-Ha, including the high parts."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Magnus Praeda posted:

"May it please the court to not have to hear me badly singing along to the 1980s classic "Take On Me" by A-Ha, including the high parts."

:emptyquote:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'll be gone in a day or two

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Nitrox posted:

If examined by a highly paid investigator, yes. By anyone else, no.
The only time it will become important, when submitting evidence in court, and being called out on it. So basically if you commit vehicular manslaughter and trying to cover up yourself screaming "Die, racial slur, die" before plowing into a group of people.

The guilty never have dashcams :v:
(unless they're too drunk, dead, or arrested to remember to grab it off the dash...)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

chrisgt posted:

The guilty never have dashcams :v:
(unless they're too drunk, dead, or arrested to remember to grab it off the dash...)

I’m not so sure about that, have you seen some of the motorcyclists who smash mirrors over the smallest perceived slight by a motorist, almost assuredly precipitated and made worse by the motorcyclist driving like a retard?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
My KDLINKS X1 is starting to get weird on me. I tried pulling some video the other day and some of the files seemed to be missing. It appends numbers to each file every time it boots up, and my files were like 1, 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, etc, so there were a bunch of 3 minute gaps in the footage. Additionally I almost got squished by a truck yesterday and when I went to pull tape the last file was corrupted, though this may have been caused by my turning off the car almost exactly when the camera was trying to roll over to a new file.

Regardless I'm not real confident in my cam anymore. I see some recommendations have just been thrown around recently, are any of them particularly good with nighttime vision? That's usually when I do most of my driving and my current cam can't really pick up details like license plates.

In other news, my local subreddit delivers again. Something something truck driver dumps a huge load right into the camera something something.

https://streamable.com/bs2cb

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Takes No Damage posted:

In other news, my local subreddit delivers again. Something something truck driver dumps a huge load right into the camera something something.

I watched it a few times but I can't see where the trash bin comes from. Did it get kicked up from the road?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nocheez posted:

I watched it a few times but I can't see where the trash bin comes from. Did it get kicked up from the road?

I think it might come out of that trailer?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
That's what you get for listening to and/or singing along with Rhinestone Cowboy :colbert:

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Takes No Damage posted:

Regardless I'm not real confident in my cam anymore. I see some recommendations have just been thrown around recently, are any of them particularly good with nighttime vision? That's usually when I do most of my driving and my current cam can't really pick up details like license plates.

Not sure what your budget is, but my DodTech LS470W+ has excellent night capabilities.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I thought it was from the trailer too, but I think it rolls into the trailer, which kicks it up. It's amazing though, I've watched it repeatedly.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

MomJeans420 posted:

I thought it was from the trailer too, but I think it rolls into the trailer, which kicks it up. It's amazing though, I've watched it repeatedly.

god drat

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That express lane with no shoulder whatsoever seems really dangerous, I would not like driving in it. I guess if you had to you'd just plow through the cones to get out, but doing that at like 70 seems like a poor idea too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MomJeans420 posted:

It seems like it's moving too smoothly to have been kicked up directly. Like it just loving levitates up.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Leperflesh posted:

That express lane with no shoulder whatsoever seems really dangerous, I would not like driving in it. I guess if you had to you'd just plow through the cones to get out, but doing that at like 70 seems like a poor idea too.

There's a reason most of the poles are missing and the rest of them are damaged...

I hardly ever use the one-lane express lanes like in the video, but last year I got stuck for 90 minutes on the new two-lane LBJ Express since a tractor trailer managed to tangle with a pickup and completely block the entire roadway.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Welcome to Dallas, worst highway system and suburban sprawl outside of Houston!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

It seems like it's moving too smoothly to have been kicked up directly. Like it just loving levitates up.

I've been trying to watch it frame by frame and I honestly have no idea where it came from. Did it roll down the offramp? If so, what did it come from, the offramp seems empty at that time.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I wonder if that can was hooked to the side of the truck. And the air from the passing the box truck finally unhooked it and flipped it up. Because I see no other place for it. It is further back than the trailer and the box truck starting to slow down makes me wonder. Basically, random debris while mowing people's lawns tossed in it for disposal later. Except someone forgot to put it back in the truck bed secure before heading off. And the driver's mirrors are too faulty to not see it there.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

It comes off the trailer, for sure. It looks like they tried to wedge it into the corner with the wheelbarrow.

Yeah, trucks with cargo tend to make me nervous. I don't trust people to property secure their things, and the scene from Final Destination keeps running through my mind whenever I'm behind them.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

are we sure this happened on 635 and not in the middle of Dealy Plaza?

There was a second pickup! :tinfoil:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Takes No Damage posted:

My KDLINKS X1 is starting to get weird on me. I tried pulling some video the other day and some of the files seemed to be missing. It appends numbers to each file every time it boots up, and my files were like 1, 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, etc, so there were a bunch of 3 minute gaps in the footage. Additionally I almost got squished by a truck yesterday and when I went to pull tape the last file was corrupted, though this may have been caused by my turning off the car almost exactly when the camera was trying to roll over to a new file.

Think it might just be the memory card? I've read cheaper ones die with massive overwriting eventually.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
Here's a crazy one from Flagstaff, AZ. My apologies for it not being embedded; I couldn't figure out how to do that with BBCode.
https://twitter.com/Arizona_DPS/status/1068592307031568384?s=20

Ninjaedit: oh, it's automatic.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Tex Avery posted:

Here's a crazy one from Flagstaff, AZ. My apologies for it not being embedded; I couldn't figure out how to do that with BBCode.
https://twitter.com/Arizona_DPS/status/1068592307031568384?s=20

quote:

The wrong-way driver’s two-year-old daughter was in the backseat of the vehicle and was not physically hurt.

loving hell.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm thankful for modern engineering that that is survivable with minor injuries.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Dang. I watched that full screen without reading the caption first and got thrown off completely. Didn't notice the flashing lights either, so I thought this guy was trying to make it into the construction site.

Then it hit [the cop car]. :O

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

LloydDobler posted:

Think it might just be the memory card? I've read cheaper ones die with massive overwriting eventually.

That is another possibility, I noticed it only seemed to be saving enough video files to fill up 4gb of an 8gb card. I reformatted it a few days ago and it seems to be saving more data now. Are there any recommendations for SD cards specifically built to survive constant overwriting?

In other news, my current cam did at least capture some ~*INSTANT KARMA*~ the other day... too bad it was on me :( I mis-judged the number of cars stacking up at an intersection and ended up blocking cross traffic's right lane for a few seconds; the universe's correction was swift and brutal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBRHBWo0160

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Takes No Damage posted:

Are there any recommendations for SD cards specifically built to survive constant overwriting?

High Endurance cards, such as this one, are generally considered the go to for constant record systems like dashcams and security cams:

SanDisk High Endurance Video Monitoring Card with Adapter 64GB (SDSDQQ-064G-G46A) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00V5Q1N1I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_0mPbCbACS1BS4

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

insert your movie jokes here. Blyatman Begins for instance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAW0LcCs35s

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

This thread title is cancer, lovely reddit memes shouldn’t be here

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
Is it a Reddit meme? I just assumed it was left over from the Halloween-themed thread name changes...

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Geoj posted:

^
Is it a Reddit meme? I just assumed it was left over from the Halloween-themed thread name changes...

You are correct.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nocheez posted:

You are correct.

It can be both hth

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

insert your movie jokes here. Blyatman Begins for instance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAW0LcCs35s

I'm not ready to revisit the cannibalism of The Road movie

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Can someone recommend a 12v to 5v hardwire power adapter that doesn't blast out a bunch of EMI?

I've tried 2 different ones now attempting to hardwire my dashcam, and they both blast out so much EMI crap it completely swamps all AM/FM reception.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 8, 2018

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Fo3 posted:

These are regarded as the best current value cams with decent reviews and comparisons. The top 3 front only and top 3 front/rear cams if you scroll down.
https://carcamcentral.com/guide/best-dash-cams-car-dvrs-black-boxes-of-2018
Looking this over - if I need parking mode, is it pretty much BlackVue only, or are there others I should look at?

stevewm posted:

Can someone recommend a 12v to 5v hardwire power adapter that doesn't blast out a bunch of EMI?

I've tried 2 different ones now attempting to hardwire my dashcam, and they both blast out so much EMI crap it completely swamps all AM/FM reception.
Are you going to 2 wire 5v, or USB? I've got this and haven't had problems - though, full disclosure, I rarely listen to broadcast. (I definitely didn't hear interference when I did, but I don't regularly listen to it.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 14, 2018

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Do you guys feel that your driving changed after getting a cam? If I see dash cam vids on YouTube, I often have the feeling that cam drivers are much more aggressive and even let accidents happen rather than, say, make room for someone who did something wrong

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Do you guys feel that your driving changed after getting a cam? If I see dash cam vids on YouTube, I often have the feeling that cam drivers are much more aggressive and even let accidents happen rather than, say, make room for someone who did something wrong

If anything, I am marginally calmer after witnessing something stupid or dangerous.

There is no reason to shake my fists in impotent rage...I've got it on camera.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I pretty much completely forget it's there and generally don't drive like an rear end in a top hat unless I'm in Massachusetts...

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I don't change the way I drive just because I have a cam. But I've also never been in an accident my entire life. Some close calls, but avoided any attempts by others to hit me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

chrisgt posted:

I pretty much completely forget it's there and generally don't drive like an rear end in a top hat unless I'm in Massachusetts...

When in Rome...