Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Delivery missions now give you an ETA along with the direction the target is in and what its name is.

GOTY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Wait, does "directly adjacent" for polearms mean *any adjacent tile* or does it mean, like, adjacent within the enemy's line of battle
It means any adjacent tile.

quote:

Changed polearms to have a -15 chance to hit targets directly adjacent, reflecting how long and unwieldy they are in close combat. Picking the 'Polearm Mastery' perk will remove this penalty.

Changed 'Polearm Mastery' perk to reduce the action point cost for using skills of polearms from 6 to 5. The 'Repel' and 'Hook' skills now always apply the 'Staggered' effect, even without the mastery.
That mastery change is great. Great changes all around.

I can't wait to start a new game later tonight.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm broke and can't buy this until Monday :smith:

quote:

Changed 'Polearm Mastery' perk to reduce the action point cost for using skills of polearms from 6 to 5.

Whoah :eyepop:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

grrarg posted:

It means any adjacent tile.

That mastery change is great. Great changes all around.

I can't wait to start a new game later tonight.

Oh adjacent to the WIELDER not adjacent to the TARGET

oh ok that's better, I was imagining massive tangled-pikes carnage in the line of battle

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Apparently one of the armour mods you can get actually reduces your fatigue penalty, I am really interested to see how far you can get with nimble now especially hybrid builds with the new lower fatigue heavy armours.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah I think Nimble builds are viable now. I didn't consider them so before because a 1-in-20 chance of getting coldcocked *will* eventually happen over the course of not even that many encounters, and when it does, you were hosed. As a percentage-based reduction I can see Nimble Squads becoming very very effective.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Oh hey, they finally made it faster to reroll your start.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I'm relying on y'all to find good seeds for those of us at work

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
FJKGFRYNGD

Here's one with a fairly decent starting team.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I'm on GoG, is fifty cents really the only difference between dlc and dlc supporter edition?

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
I thought that it was a ten dollar difference but maybe I am misremembering.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
I'm pretty sure that's actually the difference between the DLC alone and the 'Support the devs' banner pack - being sold as two separate items similar price. Dunno why they did it like that rather than a double-price version.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I think Nimble builds are viable now. I didn't consider them so before because a 1-in-20 chance of getting coldcocked *will* eventually happen over the course of not even that many encounters, and when it does, you were hosed. As a percentage-based reduction I can see Nimble Squads becoming very very effective.

Apparently it works in a weird nonlinear way and ironically isn't useful with the new mid weight armours which seems like a very strange choice

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
"Overhype" is actually a pretty decent seed,good bros, the archer has eagle eye and iron lung, axe guy has Huge

edit: I had forgotten that I actually named my last group the "Levellers"

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 29, 2018

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Oh god, the spider models are animated :stonk:

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

"Overhype" is actually a pretty decent seed,good bros, the archer has eagle eye and iron lung, axe guy has Huge

edit: I had forgotten that I actually named my last group the "Levellers"

'Levellers' is a great name for a company using the headless king banner. I've had some runs with that.

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

I love the map gen. :allears:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
- magnetboy is a pretty good seed, seems like; iron lungs on shieldbro, short bowbrow (and irrational axebro, which is gonna bite me in the butt someday); bit short on good ports (does have one on literally opposite ends of the known world though) but has a very nice civilized south
- if you take an exploration mission and can't find the place after wandering around a bit, you'll get an event with a tip

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 29, 2018

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

I'm relying on y'all to find good seeds for those of us at work

I'm going to find Hellworld that's just swamp for us hardcore battle brothers

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
just ran into a hexe with an unhold bodyguard with a pretty early-game company

i'm not TOO worried, one unhold isn't a big problem and I can rush the hexe with other melee bros

edit: fun fact, hexen can cast while in melee on at least dudes in melee

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 29, 2018

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Dreylad posted:

I'm going to find Hellworld that's just swamp for us hardcore battle brothers

Please do, I now realize this is everything I need.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

immortal flow posted:

I'm pretty sure that's actually the difference between the DLC alone and the 'Support the devs' banner pack - being sold as two separate items similar price. Dunno why they did it like that rather than a double-price version.
Am I buying Beasts and the banner for $10, or just the banner?

Osci
Oct 11, 2016
A nimble shield bro tank seems very odd, but in theory they should actually work pretty well. They also come online without any gear.

Nimble+dodge+collosus means that you can have a lv7 brother with defence in the mid to high 40's (depending on stars) and an effective hp pool somewhere between 300 and 400. With a fatigue neutral weapon he also gets to keep his dodge bonus through the whole fight.
Compared to what you might normally have at that point it seems a bit excessive.
A full plate tank might still be more survivable in the late game, and he actually gets to use his fatigue, but that requires some pretty expensive gear.

I'm going to restart anyway so I might try a run where I go all in on nimble.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Jackard posted:

Am I buying Beasts and the banner for $10, or just the banner?

just the banner, they're separate on steam and presumably separate there

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Best seed I've found so far is GPFOPWUZKZ

Starting bros have okay starting perks. 2h bro has athletic and nightowl, ranged bro has nightowl and tough, tank bro has superstitious and swift.

The trade good circuit is nuts. Four towns in a cluster, one of which is the starting town with copper + salt. The other three are a port town with amber, one with dye, and another with lumber. Another town nearby those four has a gem mine and more salt.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I'M SO loving EXCITED TO DIE AGAIN :black101:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

BB was already really good so I'm amazed they managed to make it so much better.

I am now even more of a packrat, what if there's something craftable that needs JUST ONE MORE unhold bone, I can't afford to sell my five

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I'm really not a fan of these sorts of "hidden" crafting systems, it just makes you use spoilers or trial and error everything, neither of which is particularly fun

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm really not a fan of these sorts of "hidden" crafting systems, it just makes you use spoilers or trial and error everything, neither of which is particularly fun

i personally enjoy discovering it the first time round

especially since you don't have to mash different combinations together to see if they work, just have the stuff in your inventory

one of the early unhold hide things is better doggo armor :3:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I'm trying to unlearn my hiring habits and try out different backgrounds. Being able to find out if a miner is going to be a cholicy baby is helpful, and the low resolve on some farmhands seems to make them a liability more than anything now.

also maybe because I'm so used to paradox-priced DLC but this seems pretty drat reasonable for 10 bux

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 30, 2018

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
In my quest for the perfect Hellworld, I've noticed that it seems like your archer bro has a decent chance of getting Dexterous/Sure Footing with the nickname "The Wolf." Makes him a pretty good xbow/pikeman since he usually ends up with 61 Melee attack/51 ranged attack to start.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

lol got TPKed by a 7-alp (the nightmare monsters) fight

positioning is very important

it was going well until it abruptly wasn't

always follow the buddy system, and remember, while it's tempting to hold hands with your buddy, don't do that

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 30, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

so far i love all of the nu-enemies i fight (and the little updates to non-nu ai)

- Spiders are a mildly interesting new earlygame enemy - they're not very threatening under normal circumstances but I can see them being problematic in larger numbers etc.
- Alps are really fun and require you to bring your positioning A-game.
- Unholds are fun for the opposite reason of Alps - they're going to gently caress up your plan and your positioning and you're going to be presented with interesting new tactical decisions as a result of their big stompy bullshit.
- Hexen are goddamn dreadful and it's great. I forgot what their Hex debuff does and lost a brother.

i'm still pretty early game so the only combo pack i've faced (outside of some orc hunters running into a big ol' spider pack and me joining the festivities) was 1x hexe, 1x unhold, which wasn't terribly threatening but i can see 5x unhold, 2x hexe or so being nightmarish for a first-crisis-ready company.

I just fought 3x unhold as a company that's not yet fully 110-chainmailed up, which was a little bit unpleasant. Lost a brother.

alp/anything else combo packs are going to be amazing if they're in the game

also, once you figure out how to handle them, kill every alp you see and take every alp-defense contract you see, their bits are used for a trinket i'd absolutely 100% keep available in Old Endgame

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 30, 2018

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
ORCWORLD has one of the best harbor spreads I've ever seen and a trade route that goes village with gems -> village with salt -> village with dyes -> harbor city. And lumber in the starting village.
Starting bros aren't good and it has a few too many mountains but it's not too bad.
Only one trapper and one hunter's cabin, but who knows if that's still as big a deal as it was? e: And the starting village is in a forest, so you can definitely find ranged recruits there. I hired an amazing Hunter on day 1.

Now to see if there actually are Orcs close enough to civilization to run into them early on.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 30, 2018

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I already see myself spending more time rolling maps than actually playing the DLC I was looking forward to so badly.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Of course my first really good melee recruit in ORCWORLD would have that trait. How could he not? :v:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Cool, I started doing some explore missions and stumbled across a landmark and found The Golden Goose. 15 crowns a day and it's worth 3k if I want to sell it..

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
That's pretty cool. Just 15 a day, though? I'd sell it in an instant.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i personally enjoy discovering it the first time round

especially since you don't have to mash different combinations together to see if they work, just have the stuff in your inventory

one of the early unhold hide things is better doggo armor :3:

I guess I should have added my problem is with the fact that if you really don't know what stuff you can make you need to keep like half your total inventory space full of monster parts, which is the real problem. Without spoilers you never know if a pickup is useful or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
So I learned that if you go up against alps in forests with an early-mid game company, you simply just die. Those fuckers can kite you around for ages.

One thing I'm not really liking about the alp is how there's no visual indication of the area of effect on their sleep attack, making it unnecessarily frustrating to figure out how to fight them.