Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

corn in the bible posted:

I genuinely wouldn't be particularly surprised if SCOTUS up and rules that the President is inherently allowed to do everything Trump has done. Maybe stick something in about how this doesn't set precedent, like they did with Bush Jr. becoming president, just in case there's a Democrat up for trial someday

Most likely they'll rule that it's not their place to enforce those standards as some sort of twisted separation of powers thing given that the constitutional remedy for a runaway executive is Impeachment. Which is honestly probably the right call. The problem is that our political system is a broken partisan mess with a minority party that has gerrymandered themselves into sufficient power to block any attempt to apply that constitutional remedy and a public that has been lied to to the point that close to half the public actually supports this criminal behavior.

I have no hope left for any sort of spontaneous uprising by the people so pretty much our only hope is that the good or at least not worst Dems in the house manage to maintain sufficient control to block the worst urges of the Republicans while we work to build up a national movement to purge those evil fuckers from any position of power in 2020.

So which of you Dems are a waste purists have a clean enough closet to actually run for office?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lote posted:

Avenatti did troll Michael Cohen into the whole Mueller fiasco so he’s pretty competent on that end. The defamation lawsuit that got SLAPP’d though was bad.

yeah, avenatti was a useful monster, but he has outgrown his usefulness. now he can gently caress off into oblivion.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

https://twitter.com/PreetBharara/status/1068187117115719680

Lmao forever if Whitaker agreed to be Trumps stooge only to take one look at the case Mueller has made and go “umm, never mind.”

With all the legal wrangling surrounding Whitaker in mind, I first read this as saying that his job title was "Presumably Acting AG".

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

eke out posted:

as a friendly pedantic correction, domestic emoluments are also barred by the Constitution and the subject of multiple major lawsuits right now - while operating a business domestically isn't illegal in itself, profiting from it because of your status as president is. (and, as we're seeing with his hotel in DC, it's very hard to extricate normal business from people who want to stay at your place to curry favor with you - the court is about to set a discovery schedule in this case, so we'll hear much more on this topic in 2019)

but like with foreign ones, it's another situation where there is literally no case law because no president has ever brazenly refused to divest before

It probably depends on the business. If you, say own coca-cola (and it was a private company), you could probably credibly argue that your status as president is not significantly impacting coke's profits, and to the extent someone could prove your profit was X+Y instead of X, then you could donate Y to charity or something.

A hotel in DC or New York is very problematic because important people lobbying you for something will obviously stay in your hotel, and tell you they stayed in your hotel to try to gain favor. If you owned a hotel in Lincoln, NE though, then eh, who cares.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Rigel posted:

It probably depends on the business. If you, say own coca-cola (and it was a private company), you could probably credibly argue that your status as president is not significantly impacting coke's profits, and to the extent someone could prove your profit was X+Y instead of X, then you could donate Y to charity or something.

A hotel in DC or New York is very problematic because important people lobbying you for something will obviously stay in your hotel, and tell you they stayed in your hotel to try to gain favor. If you owned a hotel in Lincoln, NE though, then eh, who cares.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/824314914105917444?s=20

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Rigel posted:

Flake reportedly doesn't think he can support Farr even if his Mueller issue is resolved. Collins, Scott, and Murkowski are all undecided. They were willing to vote for cloture, but they don't know if they'll vote to confirm him.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/29/senate-confirms-farr-judicial-nominee-1027236

If he fails to pass, will Trump reappoint him once more chuds are sworn in the Senate?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

corn in the bible posted:

I genuinely wouldn't be particularly surprised if SCOTUS up and rules that the President is inherently allowed to do everything Trump has done. Maybe stick something in about how this doesn't set precedent, like they did with Bush Jr. becoming president, just in case there's a Democrat up for trial someday

If you are talking about the whole emoluments thing, there is no defined punishment. The constitution just says "please don't do this", but there is nothing in the law or the constitution spelling out what happens if you do it anyway. We relied on hundreds of years of presidents reading the constitution and going "gee, I guess I can't do that. OK then." MAYBE we can take his hotels to put an end to the emoluments, but even then we'd have to sell them or figure out a fair market value and pay Trump off.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Groovelord Neato posted:

https://twitter.com/The_Law_Boy/status/1067898072603258883

i feel like stormy could've found a much better lawyer for a lot less.

Do you think he charges for Twitter time

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Ague Proof posted:

If he fails to pass, will Trump reappoint him once more chuds are sworn in the Senate?

I don't think the turtle will allow a failed vote. If he finds out that he doesn't have 50+1, then he'll just reschedule the vote for February or something, so a reappointment won't be needed.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol

https://twitter.com/McNaughtonArt/status/1067963448493957120

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

"Yep, it's Mueller."

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

This thread used to move a page a minute about a year ago. With today's bombshell news I expected it to be moving much faster.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I have to give ol'Jon some credit, he doesn't try to make Trump look unhideous

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

arbybaconator posted:

This thread used to move a page a minute about a year ago. With today's bombshell news I expected it to be moving much faster.

Today's news doesn't really change the equation much.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I like the subtle highlight of 'God'.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
starting to think this trump guy might not be on the level
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1068175340646948870

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

"You're obviously not a skin man." The Donald later reiterated the point, pounding the table and saying, "which is okay... I wish I wasn't."

Some Putin fanboy must have been so hurt by this photo which makes him look weak that they had to photoshop in the tie-holding:
https://twitter.com/NanaB2U2/status/1068135827413319682

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 29, 2018

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

aaaaahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahahhahahahahahahah, i needed that, thanks

no but seriously, it's been established by the Roberts Court that bribery is not a thing that exists without a signed confession that money is being exchanged for political favors

2019: "In a five four ruling written by Chief justice Roberts... the court finds that the money must also be exchanged in a big sack with a dollar sign on the side"

2020: "... the dollar sign must be green"

2021: "... the dollar sign must have been hand painted on"

2022: "... the dollar sign must have two vertical bars"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

I have to give ol'Jon some credit, he doesn't try to make Trump look unhideous

yeah but i still don't get how anyone can see trump as this inteliigent "alpha" male badass who cares about people and christ. i know its stupidity and toxic masculinty/bigotry/etc but christ.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/DustinGiebel/status/1068196428479119360

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rigel posted:

If you are talking about the whole emoluments thing, there is no defined punishment. The constitution just says "please don't do this", but there is nothing in the law or the constitution spelling out what happens if you do it anyway. We relied on hundreds of years of presidents reading the constitution and going "gee, I guess I can't do that. OK then." MAYBE we can take his hotels to put an end to the emoluments, but even then we'd have to sell them or figure out a fair market value and pay Trump off.

competitors to eg Trump Hotel DC are alleging harm to their interests, so the obvious outcome there is "make the trump organization pay money"

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Not shown in painting: the stilts Trump has to be standing on to make that framing work.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Sundae posted:

Not shown in painting: the stilts Trump has to be standing on to make that framing work.

Y'know, I'd probably be willing to bet he wears lifts in his shoes

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah but i still don't get how anyone can see trump as this inteliigent "alpha" male badass who cares about people and christ. i know its stupidity and toxic masculinty/bigotry/etc but christ.

Team politics is a hell of a drug.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Rigel posted:

They did something that’s illegal and it caused financial harm to other businesses. Keep launching civil cases until Trump and his companies are broke.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

arbybaconator posted:

Sometimes we all just sorta go "welp"

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Groovelord Neato posted:

did we already have a chuckle over another mccain meltdown?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5upLfVseRnI
Not a single person actually LOOKS at McCain because she's got that intense crazy gaze and WANTS you to start yelling at her to justify her own freak out.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah, because an ex-Marine is totally going to allow someone to hold him by the tie like that, lol.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Team politics is a hell of a drug.

yeah but a decent amount of my GOP aligned relatives hate him. they are more the small business types(aka millenials are lazy) or super Catholics mixed with FYGM. but even they see through trumps bullshit.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

They did something that’s illegal and it caused financial harm to other businesses. Keep launching civil cases until Trump and his companies are broke.

Did you make this post from an alternate reality where the law actually applies to rich people?

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Just add these crimes to the crimes pile.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Groovelord Neato posted:

did we already have a chuckle over another mccain meltdown?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5upLfVseRnI

When your only remaining meal ticket is being Whoopi’s punching bag.

Omnitrix
Aug 14, 2008

Jacob likes air cooled VW's

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Outrage fatigue

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Did you make this post from an alternate reality where the law actually applies to rich people?

I presume there are other rich people who either hate trump or want his money.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

arbybaconator posted:

"Michael Cohen put in a guilty plea and is cooperating with the Mueller investigation!"
- News that was more exciting the first time.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

When your only remaining meal ticket is being Whoopi’s punching bag.

Buddy she is rich as hell. She has no financial need whatsoever to do this.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Given today’s news this has already aged so well

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Given today’s news this has already aged so well

not shown: 3 seconds later, Trump flinches in extreme agony, as mueller's pinch grip crushes every bone in trump's elbow

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/John_Hudson/status/1067985740099919872

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Rent-A-Cop posted:

That's this reality, where the law only exists to protect rich people. See also Madoff, Bernard going to jail vs nobody at Citibank getting so much as a slap on the wrist for illegally stealing people's homes.