Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Dick Trauma posted:

So that's intentional? I see that all the time and wonder when the hell the driver is going to start reversing.

Yes and its maddening.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yes and its maddening.

:negative:

wait seriously?

What was the reasoning behind this?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Solar Coaster posted:

wait seriously?

What was the reasoning behind this?

Probably "make your car easy to find after unlocking it by illuminating all the lights."

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Using the reverse lights for anything other than "this vehicle is about to move backwards" is a lazy loving design decision that dilutes the meaning of what is a pretty important indicator.

Also not a fan of motorcycle lights that flash in a way that imitates emergency vehicles. I get the visibility thing, but like GM lighting up the reverse lights when you hit the unlock button, it's lazy. I've seen better setups that do what can be considered a "blink" of the light, and it accomplishes the same thing without being obnoxious.

On the subject of running lights, in heavy daytime rainstorms I bet a third of the people on the road are only using their running lights, and therefore have no rear illumination. Front-facing running lights have gotten so effective and widespread that people don't feel the need to turn on their headlights even in downpours when visibility is terrible. I don't live in a region that gets serious snow storms but I suspect the situation is similar.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Easychair Bootson posted:

Also not a fan of motorcycle lights that flash in a way that imitates emergency vehicles. I get the visibility thing, but like GM lighting up the reverse lights when you hit the unlock button, it's lazy. I've seen better setups that do what can be considered a "blink" of the light, and it accomplishes the same thing without being obnoxious.

First car I ever got with that feature, I went out of my way to turn it off.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

*looks back and forth, then at the grenade in her hand*

gently caress it

*pulls pin, throws grenade*

These are the bikes you share the road with:
https://twitter.com/stevenrmitch/status/1067550933108674560

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

idgi

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I posted that in the bike commuting thread but I’m not sure why it should be in here, seems rather hamfisted as it doesn’t fit the content of this thread

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I posted that in the bike commuting thread but I’m not sure why it should be in here, seems rather hamfisted as it doesn’t fit the content of this thread

Shush. I'm trying to bait people into going "BIKES ARE THE PROBLEM".

I failed :downs:

Alternately get people to ride bikes more but alas

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

iospace posted:

ew no

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Damnit! I'm here to buy large, gas-guzzling American cars and bitch about everyone else on the road. Get out of here with those reasonable transportation alternatives.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Protocol7 posted:

Damnit! I'm here to buy large, gas-guzzling American cars and bitch about everyone else on the road. Get out of here with those reasonable transportation alternatives.

Well GM and Ford are here to provide! One even gives you free auto activating reverse lights!

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

iospace posted:

Well GM and Ford are here to provide!

ew no

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Dick Trauma posted:

So that's intentional? I see that all the time and wonder when the hell the driver is going to start reversing.

It's called "approach lighting" and is trivially easy to disable if you scroll through the car's settings but people are dumb.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wallaka posted:

It's called "approach lighting" and is trivially easy to disable if you scroll through the car's settings but people are dumb.

GM is dumber for making it a feature at all.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

xzzy posted:

GM is dumber for making it a feature at all.

I can see a couple niche uses for trucks or work vans, but making it standard and default on for every vehicle...

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
After 2 days of freezing temperatures and snow, warm moist air has settled in, creating dense fog (school was delayed 2 hours this morning).

Surely no one would be driving without any lighting in these conditions :downs:
only about half of them, including the oft-mentioned DRLs with no rear lighting

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Dagen H posted:

After 2 days of freezing temperatures and snow, warm moist air has settled in, creating dense fog (school was delayed 2 hours this morning).

Surely no one would be driving without any lighting in these conditions :downs:
only about half of them, including the oft-mentioned DRLs with no rear lighting

Don’t you live in Sweden?
When I lived there (admittedly it was 18 years ago) it was the law to just run your headlights all the time and the car we had didn’t even have a way to turn off the headlights outside of pulling the fuse.

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
I seriously hate the "click the fob and it turns in the reverse lights" thing. I've slammed my brakes many, many times thinking some geriatric is going to back into my car. poo poo should be illegal. There should never be a reason for the reverse lights to be on unless you're loving in reverse gear. It's been pissing me off since I learned how to drive.

Also, Illinois has a law that if you're using your windshield-wipers, you must have your headlights on. Guess how many gray cars I've seen who don't obey that law.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

GutBomb posted:

When I lived there (admittedly it was 18 years ago) it was the law to just run your headlights all the time and the car we had didn’t even have a way to turn off the headlights outside of pulling the fuse.

Don't know about the person you quoted, but about ten years ago cars here in the EU started having the rear lights off in day time. I imagine it was pushed through by the manufacturers to ale the car go a few feet longer per litre/gallon.
The first generations of those cars didn't have light sensors, so they'd have rear lights off at night. Newer cars do, but they rarely go on in heavy rain. On other cars I've seen them suddenly turn on as they go under an underpass or into a tunnel, acting much like a brake light u til you register that it's weaker and only two lights. I don't know which is worse.

At least always-on rear lights are coming back. Is it just because LED are efficient enough that it doesn't matter, or has the number or rear end collisions gone up measurably?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

GutBomb posted:

Despite my name/av/text, I actually live in Ohio, USA.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

iospace posted:

Shush. I'm trying to bait people into going "BIKES ARE THE PROBLEM".

I failed :downs:

sorry i don't want to deal with lovely weather nor do i want to get run over by a car.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

GutBomb posted:

More backstory/current situation:
Traditionally, it's been the law that cars had to have low beam + rear light on at all time. This due to the many months of short and dark day and poor visibility. This is why we always used to get flashed when going on car vacations in Europe. I guess they thought we were retards that forgot to turn our lights off or something. Then cars started to get LEDs and have DRLs and EU in all their wisdom recognized that yes DRLs are good for visibility and safety, but we'll only require the them at the front of the car. This of course "overrules" our Swedish laws, making a loophole if you will where car manufacturers don't have to have the rear lights light up in DRL mode. Of course people never read their manual, so their just assume that it's been like it always has. That's why we now have idiots driving around in low light/fog/snow (even seen a couple of idiots in the dark) with only front DRLs on.

I've always liked our law about lights. :(

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dagen H posted:

Despite my name/av/text, I actually live in Ohio, USA.

You have my empathy and condolences.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
It's not the worst place, just the worst people.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Double post, deal with it.

Hey you. Yes, you in the Toyota Highlander with the Christmas tree on the roof. Do you realize you're doing forty loving miles per hour (65fkph) on a heavily-traveled state route during Friday evening rush? I, and the 16 people behind me, think you should secure your load in a confidence-inspiring manner, get the gently caress out of the way, or some combination of the two.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/qWP0h7r.mp4

:stare:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Anecdotal of course, but one thing I've notice is a marked decrease in motorcycle riding in my neck of the woods.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Saw a temporary sign last night (one of those LED text signs) that said "1 out of 4 accidents are caused by phone use". It probably should have also said "2 of the other 3 also were but they lied about it".

I've been in 2 collisions my whole life, the first was the woman who ran a red while looking at her GPS, and the second was a girl who didn't outright admit to using her phone but accidentally said "I just looked up and traffic was stopped". Fortunately she was in an STI with the beefy brembos and just tapped me hard with no damage to either car.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's crazy to look at that and go "I think the motorcyclist came out on top on that crash" :stare:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Colostomy Bag posted:

Anecdotal of course, but one thing I've notice is a marked decrease in motorcycle riding in my neck of the woods.

There's so many aggressively douchey videos on YouTube about millennials being pussies that don't ride motorcycles.

Like not only do they poo poo on the people they want to convince to ride, they miss the point that accidents are happening at faster speeds to forces completely out of their control, and older riders blame millennials for being more dangerous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGy6yqX2DqU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I decided a few years back to start riding a bicycle. I decided to buy a mountain bike because the only thing in the woods to hit are trees and it's your own drat fault if you do. A road bike is loving insane. Not only would I be playing chicken with 3000 pound machines, putting my safety completely out of my own control, I'd be pissing everyone off operating them.

I feel the same way about motorcycles. I'd buy a dirt bike before a road bike. Am I unreasonable? It depends who you ask, but I absolutely do not see the other side of the coin on this one.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

As an owner of a corner lot with probably 25 or so 40' oak trees I assure you trees can kill you if you are standing in the wrong place at the wrong time. :v:

Only bring that up because my son's car (new to him) was about a foot away from being a causality when a smaller one fell.

But yeah, all in jest. I understand what you are saying.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 1, 2018

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

um excuse me posted:

I decided a few years back to start riding a bicycle. I decided to buy a mountain bike because the only thing in the woods to hit are trees and it's your own drat fault if you do. A road bike is loving insane. Not only would I be playing chicken with 3000 pound machines, putting my safety completely out of my own control, I'd be pissing everyone off operating them.

I feel the same way about motorcycles. I'd buy a dirt bike before a road bike. Am I unreasonable? It depends who you ask, but I absolutely do not see the other side of the coin on this one.

I did 50 miles on the road bike today and it was completely fine. One person honked, maybe at me? Hard to tell.

Every time you’re on the road you’re putting your safety in the hands of others. Your car isn’t going to do anything if you get smashed by a semi, so you take active measures to avoid getting plastered, just like you do on a bike.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I'm assuming getting plastered before getting on a bike is a bad idea.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

There's so many aggressively douchey videos on YouTube about millennials being pussies that don't ride motorcycles.

Like not only do they poo poo on the people they want to convince to ride, they miss the point that accidents are happening at faster speeds to forces completely out of their control, and older riders blame millennials for being more dangerous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGy6yqX2DqU

Perfect choice of video because that's the dipshit who torpedoed his bike into a Porsche last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh8jhgRNmV4

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I did 50 miles on the road bike today and it was completely fine. One person honked, maybe at me? Hard to tell.

Every time you’re on the road you’re putting your safety in the hands of others. Your car isn’t going to do anything if you get smashed by a semi, so you take active measures to avoid getting plastered, just like you do on a bike.

Well that's the thing isn't it? It's always fine until it suddenly isn't. Id be far too stressed about other drivers to actually enjoy what I was doing. But everyone has a different definition of what acceptable risk is.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

um excuse me posted:

Well that's the thing isn't it? It's always fine until it suddenly isn't. Id be far too stressed about other drivers to actually enjoy what I was doing. But everyone has a different definition of what acceptable risk is.

I had a revelatory moment a few years ago while I was riding with a group of 20-or-so cyclists on a two lane, 50mph-speed-limit wooded road near Chicago (Willow Springs Road by Little Red Schoolhouse for the locals). I asked myself what I'd do if some rear end in a top hat driver decided to pass while coming the other direction and the answer was - die. At that moment I got over my concern about the safety of motorcycles. I now put about 800 miles a year on my Roubaix and 4000 on my Ducati. At least on the Ducati I can accelerate out of trouble.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ausgezeichnet posted:

I asked myself what I'd do if some rear end in a top hat driver decided to pass while coming the other direction and the answer was - die.

Death isn't the scenario that scares me the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

"There's always risk, therefore bikes and cars are equivalent" is terrible logic. I'm not saying don't bike. I'm not even saying it's more dangerous. But what you've posted is sophistry and makes my eye muscles twitch.