Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

has there ever been a good close combat clone that wasn't company of heroes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
Team Fortress Classic was better than both TF2 and Overwatch

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Saints Row series are better games than GTA because they understand that the fun in GTA is causing mayhem and being an rear end in a top hat, not shoehorning you into terrible scripted missions non-stop.

See also: Just Cause, where you literally advance the plot by blowing poo poo up in inventive ways, like tethering your car to an enemy helicopter, driving it off a cliff, and parachuting to safety while the weight of the car drags the helicopter into the side of said cliff

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The scripted missions in gta are just car chases and shooting galleries, the gently caress is wrong with that?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The very often have annoying restrictions like set paths or weapons, and if you deviate from them in any way you lose. Give me more "rob this bank here, and get to this safehouse without going above 3 stars. How you do it is up to you."

I think my ideal game would roughly be Grand Theft Dragon's Dogma

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Saw this game mentioned in the other thread and it reminded me Chrono Trigger is god awful anyone who pretends its some kind of masterpiece has the biggest rose colored glasses.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The very often have annoying restrictions like set paths or weapons, and if you deviate from them in any way you lose. Give me more "rob this bank here, and get to this safehouse without going above 3 stars. How you do it is up to you."

Metal Gear Auto

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Hako posted:

Saw this game mentioned in the other thread and it reminded me Chrono Trigger is god awful anyone who pretends its some kind of masterpiece has the biggest rose colored glasses.

"Rose colored glasses" is kinda the point though. It absolutely was a masterpiece when it first came out. The fact that game development has progressed to a point where it sucks by today's standards doesn't retroactively make it bad. It's like how Miami Vice is a super corny show to watch now but it was revolutionary television in the 80s.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

is pepsi ok posted:

"Rose colored glasses" is kinda the point though. It absolutely was a masterpiece when it first came out. The fact that game development has progressed to a point where it sucks by today's standards doesn't retroactively make it bad. It's like how Miami Vice is a super corny show to watch now but it was revolutionary television in the 80s.

i'd still rather play chrono trigger than 99% of the garbage released for phones today. CT is superior to about 85% of modern AAA games too, just for lack of aggressive monitization and online activation.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

LCs were great fun when everyone was chilling, they became less fun when goons obsessed with winning began treating it like a pro CS GO alternative

Here lies Atlantis, killed by bad map rotation. Pepperoni and cheese

Credit where credit is due the Halloween event this year was pretty cool, and there were a ton of Halloween accessories you could get easily via the contract system they added.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Chrono Trigger is good but Terranigma is the best game on the snes.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Thursday Next posted:

Breath of the Wild was boring and empty
Overwatch isn't good and it never was
Fortnight is crazy fun to watch (I've never played it, but watching my buddy's 10-year-old daughter play it was hilarious)
WoW isn't bad, but it's going to die soon
ESO is a very, very, very good game

I was with you up until "ESO is very good"

Small correction; it is awful trash. A truly awful MMO. The core of it is rotten because the gameplay itself feels like poo poo

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

LOTRO was the best mmo before it became freemium anyway. It had interesting mechanics and a well made world.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Sardonik posted:

Here lies Atlantis, killed by bad map rotation. Pepperoni and cheese

Credit where credit is due the Halloween event this year was pretty cool, and there were a ton of Halloween accessories you could get easily via the contract system they added.

Didn’t you use to play demoman? If you’re the guy I’m thinking of, you were amazing :)

Good times, still miss that game, shame Valve decided to go make an operating system instead

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

Robotrek is a really fun game that nobody seems to have played

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
G4 TV pre tech TV merger was good and Portal was funny.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Mordor She Wrote posted:

TechTV featuring Serial Perv Leo LaPorte was also good

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
G4 was crap. G4-Tech TV however was great.

It was a fantastic channel (for its time) during the transition, but once the transition was completed it didn't take long to turn to poo poo.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Twisted Metal PS3 was a fantastic game that people refused to give a shot for really dumb reasons, and vehicle combat genre needs a come back.

It was a great TM2 homage in terms of physics, etc, but the heart and soul of a TM game (co-op story) just wasn't very well designed.

The bosses were really bad and the player stories were pretty much missing altogether.

That being said, I wish it had been more successful because I miss that genre.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Nintendo Power made that game look so cool but I was never able to find it anywhere.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Shibawanko posted:

no game with a forced out-of-genre stealth section can be the best anything

Snow Cone Capone posted:

robotrek was cool but the endgame was a huge slog

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Didn’t you use to play demoman? If you’re the guy I’m thinking of, you were amazing :)

Good times, still miss that game, shame Valve decided to go make an operating system instead

Yep that was me, thank you! Met a friend recently that got me back into it.

Hopefully Artifact fails hilariously and Valve can go back to making core games.

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Portal was weird as all hell. It had a real machinima vibe to it.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It was a great TM2 homage in terms of physics, etc, but the heart and soul of a TM game (co-op story) just wasn't very well designed.

The bosses were really bad and the player stories were pretty much missing altogether.

That being said, I wish it had been more successful because I miss that genre.

I think it would have been better off if it was sold half price as multiplayer only, not that I didn't enjoy Sweet Tooth, Mr Grim's and Dollfaces' stories but like the heart of the game was the online.

Sardonik posted:

Portal was weird as all hell. It had a real machinima vibe to it.

Portal felt like a lovely MST3K meets MMORPG RPing, and partial fever dream, all those old G4 shows were charming in their shittiness.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

Dragoon castle wasn't the high point of the game or anything but it was okay and I really liked how much attention to detail went into each city. Yunkou really felt like a city in China, there are villages in the Gobi desert that look just like Louran, and they took the time to make spritework just for that one Buddhist temple in Lhasa where you can save your game.

Terranigma rules because besides the pointy haired teenager protagonist it basically bucks every RPG cliche and is just a cool romp through real world locations with a weird original story.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Saint's Row is pretty bad at the missions being totally linear frequently though. For all the goofy poo poo and crazy plot the game doesn't give you a lot to do with it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Oh man I had never thought about this but the medic's heal gun also heals clothing

I wonder if it can like put back together broken mugs and poo poo

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
saints row got lovely after the second one, volition would be better off making a new red faction game

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The White Dragon posted:

If you got lucky and had the punch lady with you when they spring that section it isnt forced.

Still way overrated. I played it for the first time recently and the bosses are all giant hp sacks that are complete non threats. Especially late game the fights just dragged on and on with 0 tension.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

a bone to pick posted:

saints row got lovely after the second one, volition would be better off making a new red faction game

nah the third one was very good sorry that you hate fun

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

QuarkJets posted:

nah the third one was very good sorry that you hate fun

you're wrong and the city was boring / ugly

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Saints Row might make a better visual novel because most of what is good about it is actually dialogue

Though certain sequences are fantastic

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Undertale has some bits that are drawn out and not funny at all

Red Faction Armageddon was a pretty good game and its major crime was that it wasn't more Red Faction Guerilla

Hitman Absolution did quite a few things to modernize the Hitman franchise in terms of fluidity and controls.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

A friendly reminder that Just Cause 4 is out in 5 days and it is the #1 "wander around and blow everything up" simulator series

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

blackguy32 posted:

Undertale has some bits that are drawn out and not funny at all

Red Faction Armageddon was a pretty good game and its major crime was that it wasn't more Red Faction Guerilla

Hitman Absolution did quite a few things to modernize the Hitman franchise in terms of fluidity and controls.

Armageddon was a solid game with the Red Faction name slapped onto it because it takes place on Mars

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I felt like it was really shallow though. I liked it but it was no first game.

Red Faction!

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Anyone who says "Hearts of Iron IV = worst game in the franchise" is a grognard who hates fun. Sure, it's been vastly simplified from the previous games, but that only makes it more fun and not everyone has the time to stare at NATO-style counters for hours at end.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Red Faction is a weird series with two good and two bad entries and both bad entries are immediate sequels looking at the preceeding good entry and going "lets make this all about the shooting and the color brown"

Im not including the cell phone (non smartphone) or n-gage versions in here because I nor anyone else ever played them.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

TheScott2K posted:

I truly do not understand people whose biggest problem with GTA 4 was car physics. That poo poo ruled.

Because they hold the accelerator down the whole time and never touch the brake except to reverse because they rammed into a wall again

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Away all Goats posted:

Because they hold the accelerator down the whole time and never touch the brake except to reverse because they rammed into a wall again

But that's how driving works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Barudak posted:

Red Faction is a weird series with two good and two bad entries and both bad entries are immediate sequels looking at the preceeding good entry and going "lets make this all about the shooting and the color brown"

Im not including the cell phone (non smartphone) or n-gage versions in here because I nor anyone else ever played them.

I played the n-gage one