Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They managed to gently caress up like half the included titles by running the 50Hz PAL versions while the device outputs 60Hz, so they're literally forced to look bad. On every device in every territory, even the ones that never used PAL or 50hz at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

No SOTN on that machine is an unforgivable omission

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

univbee posted:

Yep. If you have a PS3 you can get all games except Revelations: Persona in usable form without spending much (and with a PSTV/Vita/PSP, that version is only $20), just get the actually decent games a-la-carte that way. As a bonus you can get a ton of must-haves that aren't on the Classic for like six bucks each digitally. I go into more specifics in the mini-console thread (the NES/SNES Classic thread I keep meaning to poke VG about renaming but :effort:)

I think you'd want to do it pronto tho, aren't they shutting down a lot of PS3 store functionality soon?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Zenimax are never going to get rid of Bethesda Game Studios, while EA can easily kill off Bioware or just give the name to an unrelated studio.

They already did the second

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

76 problems seem like major design decisions over the studio loving up the execution.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

No SOTN on that machine is an unforgivable omission

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I think you'd want to do it pronto tho, aren't they shutting down a lot of PS3 store functionality soon?

No? They are going to stop giving PS3 games on PS+ and a few specific online game servers are shutting down, but there are no plans to kill the store otherwise. Hell, you can still get them on a PSP even.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

haveblue posted:

They managed to gently caress up like half the included titles by running the 50Hz PAL versions while the device outputs 60Hz, so they're literally forced to look bad. On every device in every territory, even the ones that never used PAL or 50hz at all.

Not to mention why would anyone want Twisted Metal and Destruction Derby over their amazing sequels, not to mention a PSX without a Wipeout title.

Hmmm, maybe I should grab a pstv.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Not to mention why would anyone want Twisted Metal and Destruction Derby over their amazing sequels, not to mention a PSX without a Wipeout title.

Hmmm, maybe I should grab a pstv.

Bad news they're going for like $250 now.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

univbee posted:

No? They are going to stop giving PS3 games on PS+ and a few specific online game servers are shutting down, but there are no plans to kill the store otherwise. Hell, you can still get them on a PSP even.

Okay, well that's good.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I bought Driver 3 when I was on holiday in America and for some reason American games were still coming in enormous boxes on CDs instead of the cultured European DVD cases.
It was a massively buggy piece of poo poo and I felt scammed because all the reviews said it was good. The gaming press can suck a fat one
Oh, huh, I was also on holiday in America around when Driver 3 came out and the chump grandson of the lady we went to stay with bought Driver 3 on the Xbox and played it all day and it looked so loving bad. I'd read all the impressions in these very forums already so I wasn't surprised.

To be fair he was having a good time. Somehow.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A PSTV is great especially with limited space to work with, but a PS3 is a lot better (and it seems cheaper if the PSTV is going for like $250 :stonk:) particularly for PS1 stuff since they'll work with any disc that's the same region as the PS3, and also cooperate with multiple account regions so you can do physical+digital North American NTSC games as well as some digital Japanese games which lets you avoid a lot of headaches for a few games which have no language barrier.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

One of you nice boys or girls should buy my OG Vita that rests in a cabinet somewhere. Isn’t that how all the cool kids play old PlayStation games?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
If you bid on them you can probably get used PSTVs for decent prices but ebay is flooded with assholes who bought them in bulk at $25 trying to offload them for $200+

Keep in mind that you have to also get the PSVita memory cards which are idiotically expensive (like $75+ for 16 gigs )

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Keep in mind that you have to also get the PSVita memory cards which are idiotically expensive (like $75+ for 16 gigs )

At least you can sort-of do infinite-ish storage using the Content Manager, letting you move games and saves between the device and a PC.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

univbee posted:

A PSTV is great especially with limited space to work with, but a PS3 is a lot better (and it seems cheaper if the PSTV is going for like $250 :stonk:) particularly for PS1 stuff since they'll work with any disc that's the same region as the PS3, and also cooperate with multiple account regions so you can do physical+digital North American NTSC games as well as some digital Japanese games which lets you avoid a lot of headaches for a few games which have no language barrier.

I passed up a PSTV for like $40 a couple years ago. What a time to be alive.

But yeah, I still have a solid-as-rock PS3 Slim, so no worries.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I got one of those sweet white Vita TVs for hardly anything from PlayAsia years ago, that thing is a good looking tiny console.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's amazing that the vita was perfectly capable of doing TV out but instead of making an early version of the Switch they decided that a set top box was a better move

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it's amazing that the vita was perfectly capable of doing TV out but instead of making an early version of the Switch they decided that a set top box was a better move

The PSP did that and no one cared

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

PSP was just way too far ahead of its time, rip

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

beep by grandpa posted:

PSP was just way too far ahead of its time, rip
RIP? It had a good run, some great games. Ran for 10 years before being discontinued.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

Why do you hate it? I think they're great especially if you know how to mod them. My snes class has like 200 snes/genesis/nes/gba games on it and it rules.

Because they're cynical cash-ins. These things are often the only way to play classic games on hardware that you can actually buy new, which is a problem created by the very same companies putting out classic consoles. Your SNES Classic was arbitrarily hobbled to play a select handful of games in order to protect the value of Nintendo's library, and it's why we don't have a virtual console on Switch. The nostalgic form factor is the candy shell over this poison pill. You rightly freed it from its chains, but this was against its maker's intentions, and done with ROMs that I'm gonna guess are illegal copies, since you can only legal way to obtain them is by somehow getting old cartridges and having the technical expertise necessary to dump them.

The SNES Classic was actually well made, which makes it difficult to make that argument, it's like pooping in the punch bowl. So I'm glad the PS Classic is flaming garbage. It really puts a fine point on it when Sony forces all regions to take the PAL ROMs that no one wants, and runs them on an open source emulator that is worse than the one they themselves developed for their other hardware. Lazy and cynical.

I have a Raspberry Pi 3+ with tens of thousands of ROMs, gently caress the police, including a bunch of PSX games that run better than they will on a PS Classic. ~$150 total including case and bluetooth controller.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Akuma posted:

RIP? It had a good run, some great games. Ran for 10 years before being discontinued.

It was still getting games in Japan like 2 years ago, and I even got a UMD version of Summon Night 5.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You had me freaking out there cos I still love my PS3. The only thing I'd buy for it is a new controller cos mine are so old and grubby. What a great machine. The UI is still infinitely better than the PS4. It's a shame that the store is such total rear end on it now but I mean you just gotta roll with the punches and use a PC to buy games I guess

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The XBM was a great UI and I never understood them killing it on the Vita and PS4.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

You had me freaking out there cos I still love my PS3. The only thing I'd buy for it is a new controller cos mine are so old and grubby. What a great machine. The UI is still infinitely better than the PS4. It's a shame that the store is such total rear end on it now but I mean you just gotta roll with the punches and use a PC to buy games I guess
I hardly bought any games for the PS3 but I still have what feels like hundreds of quality titles because PS+ was been so good (overall) for PS3 games over the years. With a 1tb drive I could fit all the ones that didn't overlap with the 360.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Akuma posted:

I hardly bought any games for the PS3 but I still have what feels like hundreds of quality titles because PS+ was been so good (overall) for PS3 games over the years. With a 1tb drive I could fit all the ones that didn't overlap with the 360.

Nearly all of my PS3 library is physical, I never really had good internet back when it first came out and my model only has a measly 120GB HDD on it. I hope it never dies because I actually find it way better to play stuff like Blu-Rays on, and it does PS1 classics which is great. It also has Demon's Souls :worship:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Man, why doesn’t anyone appreciate the awesomeness of bag phones.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

VideoGames posted:

Man, why doesn’t anyone appreciate the awesomeness of bag phones.

Technically 1991, but whatever

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Further adventures in PS4 hardware fuckery

I'm pretty sure it's the loving HDMI port on my TV that's doing something. Switching to HDMI 3. If this works I'm going to be hella-mad.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

FO4 was a massive red flag for me, I HATED it and it's the first Bethesda game I found flat-out bad on both technical grounds and substance. Skyrim on PS3 was one of the worst ports I've ever played but there was cool stuff in the game. Not touching 76

I tried to return FO4 but due to having to play it for so long to get into the game part and understand you had wasted money meant that Gaben told me to eat poo poo

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

univbee posted:

Further adventures in PS4 hardware fuckery

I'm pretty sure it's the loving HDMI port on my TV that's doing something. Switching to HDMI 3. If this works I'm going to be hella-mad.

I have had multiple hdmi ports go bad on TVs over the years. Its happened

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
My dad had a briefcase phone I thought he worked for the CIA.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

JBP posted:

My dad had a briefcase phone I thought he worked for the CIA.

All dads and uncles work for Nintendo. And they told me...

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

I have had multiple hdmi ports go bad on TVs over the years. Its happened

Go bad by sending a loving EMP to whatever's plugged into it randomly?

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!

beep by grandpa posted:

Agreeing with this. After everything that happened with Andromeda there's no way they'll let the game's basic presentation/functionality be anything below your typical AAA fare, with some room for launch week hiccups.

But yeah its biggest crime I think will be it being absolutely unremarkable in any way. Just avg 7.5/10 AAA game that a few game journalists might try to prop up as the next coming of jesus cause of past loyalties to BioWare. What's sad is given EA's trackrecord it's very possible Anthem will be BioWare's last game :canada:

Best case may be that ME3 had surprisingly good multiplayer, and they built on that for ME: Andromeda which also had really fun co-op multiplayer. So while the single player was sort of pants, if they can make super Iron Man Happy Fun Time multiplayer, that might be cool. I certainly won't pre-order, but having hope isn't beyond reason.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
my family didn't get into cell phones until the Motorola StarTAC era

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I have a PS4 Pro and a 4K TV (LG C8), and the PS4 is plugged directly in. When games switch to HDR, I get a little HDR logo in the corner and everything looks great, including the PS menu.

If I play a game that isn't HDR, or turn off the PS4 and turn it back on again, the menu goes to non-HDR 1080p. Is there a setting to force the menu to stay at 4k/HDR?

I have all the video setting set to Automatic, but I've tried different combinations of settings there and can't figure out how to get it working.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

highmodulus posted:

Best case may be that ME3 had surprisingly good multiplayer, and they built on that for ME: Andromeda which also had really fun co-op multiplayer. So while the single player was sort of pants, if they can make super Iron Man Happy Fun Time multiplayer, that might be cool. I certainly won't pre-order, but having hope isn't beyond reason.

All this makes me wish that ME2 was on PS4.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Also just started chapter four. That was a brutal cutscene!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

EC posted:

I have a PS4 Pro and a 4K TV (LG C8), and the PS4 is plugged directly in. When games switch to HDR, I get a little HDR logo in the corner and everything looks great, including the PS menu.

If I play a game that isn't HDR, or turn off the PS4 and turn it back on again, the menu goes to non-HDR 1080p. Is there a setting to force the menu to stay at 4k/HDR?

I have all the video setting set to Automatic, but I've tried different combinations of settings there and can't figure out how to get it working.

The homescreen goes in whatever color mode your game or app is in. Presumably so you can pull it up without your TV swapping modes.

I have not seen a setting to have it default hdr when its coldboots. The 1080 sounds weird though. You can set the resolution somewhere in the menu.