Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
DIO literally becomes a demon, taking in broken, lost, scared, and evil people by telling that all will be fine, all fear will vanish from your heart, if you just listen to him and do as he says

Just like capitalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
the ambitious but selfish working class in their aspirations to rise above their station will misuse powers they cannot responsibly control from the noble social elite and will end up creating a dog with a person head

Jojo is unwoke

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
speaking of Phantom Blood's super hard left turn I wonder what it was like for jump readers when it first started

like for the first few weekly chapters its about these two victorian rivals and then all of a sudden there are vampires and a guy in a tophat who is a lightning ninja

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Expect My Mom posted:

DIO literally becomes a demon, taking in broken, lost, scared, and evil people by telling that all will be fine, all fear will vanish from your heart, if you just listen to him and do as he says

Just like capitalism

That sounds kind of like a cult.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Mel Mudkiper posted:

speaking of Phantom Blood's super hard left turn I wonder what it was like for jump readers when it first started

they were probably like "wow this whips rear end"

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

like for the first few weekly chapters its about these two victorian rivals and then all of a sudden there are vampires and a guy in a tophat who is a lightning ninja

I always wondered that too. It would be neat if someone dug up old Japanese Usenet posts to find out, assuming there even was a Japanese Usenet community discussing shonen manga back then.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hey since I have a knack for opening wounds in this thread, let's talk about the time they made the nazis good guys

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Caesar was a fascist with Nazi allies and his death was deserved

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

When I was getting a friend into jojo I warned him about the good guy nazi

He came to me later on like "it wasnt that bad, he just sacrificed himself with a grenade"

And I replied "its cute that you dont think he is gonna come back as a robot" and my friend just kind of stared at me trying to figure out if I was joking

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I do appreciate that Stroheim outright murders innocent people in his introduction, foreclosing “clean Wehrmacht”-style defenses of him...but a lot of fans forget about that, and I suspect Araki may have forgotten about it too.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hey now we've clearly established araki would never forget about an important plot point

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Stroheim was more useful to Joseph's adventure than Caesar was.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
There is also an amusing irony involving the Nazis in Battle Tendency, which unfortunately revolves around a bit of narration that's omitted from the anime. The narrator talks about how the Nazis believed that Germans were "more evolved" than other humans and therefore had the right to crush everybody else. In other words, according to Stroheim's own theoretical beliefs, Kars is completely in the right.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The OP for Battle Tendency is always amusing to me because it in no way represents the actual story of the arc

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Silver2195 posted:

There is also an amusing irony involving the Nazis in Battle Tendency, which unfortunately revolves around a bit of narration that's omitted from the anime. The narrator talks about how the Nazis believed that Germans were "more evolved" than other humans and therefore had the right to crush everybody else. In other words, according to Stroheim's own theoretical beliefs, Kars is completely in the right.

This and Robo-Stroheim dies in Stalingrad anyway, so :v:

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Expect My Mom posted:

Like the period drama is so JoJo dude.

Heres an anime that opens as a gothic Victorian tragedy, of class and circumstances tearing a family apart and driving a good man to the brink of his morality, he must confront the truth of his brother's betrayal, the brother he has spent seven years learning to love, all while another man toils madly with ancient artifacts, attempting to relieve himself of the shackles of his station, a station that has only brought him misery and taught him naught but how to inflict that misery on others.

And it works, he becomes something beyond himself, and now the good man must become a Great Man, and set out to destroy his brother, practically his own blood.

And a guy named Speedwagon is there.

And that's only one hour of television

...and the a century later, the first brother's great-grandson burns down a house attempting to scan the owner out of money and the other's son drinks a cup of piss to get in with the mafia to eventually take over and eradicate the drug trade in Italy.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
No it was jellyfish

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

do you think Araki came up with the jellyfish tooth to absorb a toxic liquid first or serving someone piss tea first

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

David D. Davidson posted:

...and the a century later, the first brother's great-grandson burns down a house attempting to scan the owner out of money and the other's son drinks a cup of piss to get in with the mafia to eventually take over and eradicate the drug trade in Italy.

Technically, Giorno was both their sons.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

To be fair the Nazis in Battle Tendency weren't ever the good guys. At best they were an "enemy of my enemy" type ally. Stroheim did get off pretty clean for starting off as a pretty scummy dude though.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I find that distinction to be irrelevant when the unironic phrase "Hurray, the SS is here!" is uttered

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I don’t think anyone actually said that

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't remember any indication that Stroheim was a good man or anything. He helps Joseph because Cars would've been a threat to Nazi Germany.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

https://mobile.twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/1068213084702027778

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

what the gently caress

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

So McAfee is running for president again right

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I've read this six times and I have gained absolutely zero information

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
John McAfee and Joseph Joestar have both killed people, this checks out

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Meat Beat Agent posted:

John McAfee and Joseph Joestar have both killed people, this checks out

I can also easily imagine McAfee losing a hand inside a volcano.

About 50/50 if he loses it to the volcano or to some fitness buff in a thong who also happens to be there.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Also both friends to nazis

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Funky Valentine posted:

Stroheim was more useful to Joseph's adventure than Caesar was.

Yeah, Caesar doesn't really do anything aside from introduce him to Lisa Lisa and die.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Joseph didn't even use the antidote he died getting

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

the ambitious but selfish working class in their aspirations to rise above their station will misuse powers they cannot responsibly control from the noble social elite and will end up creating a dog with a person head

Jojo is unwoke

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Hey since I have a knack for opening wounds in this thread, let's talk about the time they made the nazis good guys

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Hey now we've clearly established araki would never forget about an important plot point

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The OP for Battle Tendency is always amusing to me because it in no way represents the actual story of the arc

Mel Mudkiper posted:

do you think Araki came up with the jellyfish tooth to absorb a toxic liquid first or serving someone piss tea first

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I find that distinction to be irrelevant when the unironic phrase "Hurray, the SS is here!" is uttered

I feel like at this point you're just purposefully trying to stir up poo poo or something man

Also phantom blood opens up with a blood sacrifice using the mask so it was always clear it was going to be supernatural and was never something out of left field

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"Run away to Bolivia" also seems to be something Joseph would do if faced with murder charges.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I feel like at this point you're just purposefully trying to stir up poo poo or something man

Also phantom blood opens up with a blood sacrifice using the mask so it was always clear it was going to be supernatural and was never something out of left field

I am genuinely not sure what you find controversial about half of those quotes

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am genuinely not sure what you find controversial about half of those quotes

I just think you're trying too hard, you've gotta be more subtle, you can't just try to jump straight to supermechagodzilla levels without any kind of nuance to it

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

True in the manga but not the anime, IIRC.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

True in the manga but not the anime, IIRC.

Yeah I should've clarified I was talking about the manga there. My bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah I should've clarified I was talking about the manga there. My bad.

we're in the anime thread, kite