Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
You either uninstalled all UWP apps, are on LTSB or something messed up during install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
his os sounds like a real pos imo

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shaggar posted:

shift-windows-s is pretty good but they need to add a box highlight selection tool
I've always thought that that the snipping tool is pretty terrible because although it theoretically allows you to do basic annotations but (as far as I know) it doesn't have undo. I don't know why they've never bothered to just add undo to it. It's really annoying having to take another screenshot if you add a highlight and then want to change it.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
MS 2018: hey seems like colour might actually help object recognition

edit: looks like the tiles are slightly rounded even, lol metro is basically completely excised at this point (good)

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

metro was colourless?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mystes posted:

I've always thought that that the snipping tool is pretty terrible because although it theoretically allows you to do basic annotations but (as far as I know) it doesn't have undo. I don't know why they've never bothered to just add undo to it. It's really annoying having to take another screenshot if you add a highlight and then want to change it.

the new one has undo.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

SRQ posted:

metro was colourless?

It used to be; white icons on a single-color background.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

instant snipping shortcut is good, i use it all the time on my mac so glad to see windows finally copying something useful for once

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

what's up with those office icons though

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

SupSuper posted:

all the built-in app icons are different too. that's gotta be an insider preview build or something

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
way late but why the gently caress would you want Netflix on a switch? you literally already own a million better devices to play videos. Nintendo succeeds cycle after cycle because they stick to their core competency (selling you accessories) and whizzbangs like video apps are very not that

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I like how in Windows 10 there's an outbound firewall rule for calc.exe by default

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

same

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

SRQ posted:

metro was colourless?

absolutely, and win10 largely still is - albeit as with everything MS, gently caress consistency

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

SupSuper posted:

they changed outlook from yellow to blue which is word's colour. loving dumbasses

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

edit: looks like the tiles are slightly rounded even, lol metro is basically completely excised at this point (good)
cool now we can have yet another level of design language on top of the others that still exist within the os

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

hopefully, apple will be next to rediscover color

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Phoenixan posted:

cool now we can have yet another level of design language on top of the others that still exist within the os

in its final form windows will have a completely different ui style for every window

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Chalks posted:

in its final form windows will have a completely different ui style for every window

honestly you're not far from that if you use some older apps right now

or steam/spotify and such that demand their own

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

infernal machines posted:

all the built-in app icons are different too. that's gotta be an insider preview build or something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YplAU5myNP4

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

jit bull transpile posted:

way late but why the gently caress would you want Netflix on a switch? you literally already own a million better devices to play videos. Nintendo succeeds cycle after cycle because they stick to their core competency (selling you accessories) and whizzbangs like video apps are very not that

I have a 32gb iPad and a switch with a 256gb memory card in it, a switch version might come in handy if I want to dl a bunch of shows before I go on a trip or whatever :shrug:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

I have a 32gb iPad and a switch with a 256gb memory card in it, a switch version might come in handy if I want to dl a bunch of shows before I go on a trip or whatever :shrug:
If only nintendo would make an SD card adapter for your iPad.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

you're incredibly late because the 3ds has had these apps for years and the switch has had a hulu app basically since launch. also nintendo isn't forgoing selling you poo poo because there's a netflix app, what sort of backwards thought process is that? the primary demographic for the switch is kids, it might be useful for parents to have the device that the kid is glued to also does shows.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
nyt has an interesting look at msfts renaissance under satya: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/29/technology/microsoft-apple-worth-how.html

mostly confirming what yospos has been saying (dumping poo poo that doesnt work like winpho and concentrating on core enterprise growth) but nice to see collected in one place

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

absolutely, and win10 largely still is - albeit as with everything MS, gently caress consistency

the colorless tiles worked great for windows phone where they were slightly transparent against ur background. it worked really well but then you'd have like Netflix as just a sold dumb block

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
do not sign!

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

finally a groverhaus app

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lol do you think nintendo is developing the app and not just saying "yeah sure put netflix on our thing whatever"

mystes
May 31, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

lol do you think nintendo is developing the app and not just saying "yeah sure put netflix on our thing whatever"
Is netflix seriously going to bother developing an app for the switch itself considering what a pain it probably is to develop for compared to other platforms since it's Nintendo?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
netflix isn't just going to ignore a platform that is growing insanely rapidly in user base and is basically just a tegra tablet with novel input devices

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

SRQ posted:

metro was colourless?

the new one is outside so it'll be pretty

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Stymie posted:

netflix isn't just going to ignore a platform that is growing insanely rapidly in user base and is basically just a tegra tablet with novel input devices

they probably will. I doubt they saw many users from the other Nintendo consoles, so why would they spend the effort here

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

My Linux Rig posted:

they probably will. I doubt they saw many users from the other Nintendo consoles, so why would they spend the effort here

the wii had faster adoption of netflix watchers than the 360 my dude and they're only shutting down access to it next year despite the wii being 12 years old

also what effort? it's a tablet with a mobile processor, not some hacked together abomination like the ps3

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

mobile processors have historically demonstrated that theyre really good at playing 4K or even HD video...

...NOT

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
which is fine because 4k is for chumps and nintendo knows that

however i will grant that netflix might be dumb enough to ignore a massively growing market out of apathy in keeping with their terrible business decisions

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Stymie posted:

which is fine because 4k is for chumps and nintendo knows that

agree on that one

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ya i dont honestly care for 4K or anything, im not even sure whether this piece of poo poo monitor is 720 or 1080

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Krankenstyle posted:

mobile processors have historically demonstrated that theyre really good at playing 4K or even HD video...

...NOT

the switch has a 720p screen. in 2018 a potato has enough processing power to play 720p video

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

windows server 1809 (semi-annual channel) is available in visual studio subscriptions (MSDN) but the provided product key doesn't work. it lists the same key as for 1803 which is what you'd kinda expect but apparently it's a "server 2016" key and 1809 is "server 2019" so it doesn't work.

basically microsoft hosed up pivoting to this new service channel arrangement much like everything else they've done in recent memory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

But you're paying it as a service

And getting nothing in return