Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Aces High posted:

out of curiosity does this mean burrow is viable now?
I think the early burrow exploits the lack of early detection from a 1/1/1 opening and wanting to get vultures out of the base, so yeah it seems viable there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Usually the ASL finals are a wet fart but that one was great even if it meant putting up with Rapid's teenage girl shrieking.

Dancer posted:

I apologize for being a noob, but can someone give me a few hints on how to find vods (for example, for this seemingly exciting competition that just ended)? I checked the OP and the only indicator I found was teamliquid.net, but I haven't been able to (easily) find them there. Ideally spoiler-free :v: .

For ASL I use https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCK5eBtuoj_HkdXKHNmBLAXg?videos or http://www.afreecatv.com/?hash=staffpicks_42 if JD's Kelly Clarkson song nukes the youtube vod.

For KSL I use https://www.twitch.tv/starcraft/videos/archive

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Rain vs Last is about to go down on the Official StarCraft twitch! SC2 showmatch to cap off the first round of the SC2 global finals!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The KSL was back on last night, here's the uncut twitch vod. It'll probably be uploaded to YT within the next week.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

gotta say that was kind of a disappointing turn out for Zerg when compared to ASL, then again this isn't the quarters yet so there is still hope

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Light vs Action Game 2:

Rapid - "These firebats are going to be a liability when the muta and lings spill in because they can't shoot up."

*Firbats massacre all the zerglings in seconds and the remaining marines shoo away the mutas*
:cmon:

Game one was extremely good despite the Rapid cast though.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

AtillatheBum posted:

Light v Action g1 was seriously great. I think the part I hated the most about that cast was in G3 where he was busy implying that there was basically no difference between 2h muta and 3h muta or something. I wish he'd let G-Clef take the lead, I get the feeling he knows BW pretty well.

-----

Group B Winners and Elim matches, still G-Clef and Rapid.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

AtillatheBum posted:

Light vs Action Game 2:

Rapid - "These firebats are going to be a liability when the muta and lings spill in because they can't shoot up."

*Firbats massacre all the zerglings in seconds and the remaining marines shoo away the mutas*
:cmon:

Ugh, honestly I think all interest I have in Brood War would instantly erode if Tastosis ever retire, if it means being stuck with that guy forever.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I actually hate that Rapid has gotten a lot better at casting BW. I liked hating on him for a long time but he's starting to grow on me, especially when paired with noregret

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

this year it feels like his partners have way more knowledge on BW strats but he still seems to dominate the commentary, which is a huge detriment for the watchers because he gets a lot of calls wrong. He could certainly do well to not do that and instead let his partners do some more talking to explain strategies and such

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I actually hate that Rapid has gotten a lot better at casting BW. I liked hating on him for a long time but he's starting to grow on me, especially when paired with noregret

I didn't know he had an account on here.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Aces High posted:

this year it feels like his partners have way more knowledge on BW strats but he still seems to dominate the commentary, which is a huge detriment for the watchers because he gets a lot of calls wrong. He could certainly do well to not do that and instead let his partners do some more talking to explain strategies and such

I suspect that as he was getting put with people with literally zero casting experience he was feeling pressure to kinda carry the cast and fill air time. Once he and noregret got some barebones synergy it became like 50x more listenable. Also if noregret keeps up with casting he has a lot of potential as his level of insight into SC2 meta is always super on point

Fanatic posted:

I didn't know he had an account on here.

I just watch enough broodwar that he's hard to miss as he's been around the BW scene for absolutely fuckin ever and imo he's a pretty solid second tier caster. I've also made fun of him directly before and he just was chill and rolled with it so idk, I've got no animosity to the guy for not being literally tastosis. Oh yeah, and he did a good enough job with the hype AF recent ASL finals that I'm unusually inclined to not poo poo on him

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Group C Winners/Losers

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

This was a good, close set of games. standout for me was larva/bermuda g4, but it was honestly just an overall good set of games

Group D Winners/Losers

Dancer
May 23, 2011
OMG Heartbreak Ridge is still a thing :3: . Not quite my favourite "hosed up" map, but it's up there.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Game three of Light vs Where today has one of the nicest bits of misdirection I've seen, it's a really neat game.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Heavy_D posted:

Game three of Light vs Where today has one of the nicest bits of misdirection I've seen, it's a really neat game.

That wasn't a bad series I'm disappointed and surprised by Light losing, but Where planned that series excellently

I thought today's Mini vs Soulkey series was really neat, especially game 2.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/339179467

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Watching Tasteless & Artosis' reaction to the Modesty v Leta clown fiesta was gold

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Somehow still a better series than their first series, game 2 of that first one is probably the worst game of professional starcraft I've ever seen.

E: Sharp vs Jaehoon was all right, although Sharp should figure out that he's allowed to sneak vultures into the protoss base before falling way behind

Elyv fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 28, 2018

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ro8 d1

I'm only part way through game 1 but holy poo poo nukes I've literally never seen nukes in pro starcraft

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Elyv posted:

Ro8 d1

I'm only part way through game 1 but holy poo poo nukes I've literally never seen nukes in pro starcraft

the first set was pretty bad. second set was actually pretty good; sharp's army movement killed mind's early advantage every game.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

a cow posted:

the first set was pretty bad. second set was actually pretty good; sharp's army movement killed mind's early advantage every game.

I despise Leta's never attack playstyle and think it leads to boring as poo poo games but nukes are something legitimately new to me and that's really rare so that's exciting.

E: I haven't gotten to set 2 yet but I would not be surprised if it were better since TvT owns and both Mind and Sharp are willing to move out with more than a single dropship

Elyv fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 30, 2018

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Mind and Sharp was a really loving cool series and just oh my god the micro in so much of that series was insane

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

Elyv posted:

Ro8 d1

The last time Nukes worked in pro starcraft was Boxer vs Baxter/Killer in the GomTV Classic quite a while back. It was mostly just Boxer clowning on the relatively new Baxter, though.

I'll try to hunt down the VOD for it, but it's surprisingly hard to find for a "Boxer nukes some scrub" video.

EDIT: Found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFdYOK3vH3g

Kibibit fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 30, 2018

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Elyv posted:

Ro8 d1

say what you will about some of the players in KSL but I've now gotten my chance to see every unit combination. Except Scouts, but Scouts suck always

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Aces High posted:

say what you will about some of the players in KSL but I've now gotten my chance to see every unit combination. Except Scouts, but Scouts suck always

back in june during the 13 hour deathstream there was a scout in a match https://www.twitch.tv/videos/279514436?t=10h17m14s

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

sort of reminds me of Larva's recent manner hatch

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ro8 Day 2

Last vs Where g1 was pretty great Just one too many attempts to break the main, I think. Also I felt like Where had no confidence in his ability to go macro against Last(which, well, makes sense).

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Rain vs Sharp Semis are up, pretty exciting series besides that one build order win...

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

That was a good series, it really felt like the first time this KSL that we saw two really good players go at it rather than the cool plays being some sort of weird goofy poo poo.

E: Maybe Mind vs Sharp too actually

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Heavy_D posted:

Rain vs Sharp Semis are up, pretty exciting series besides that one build order win...

Pretty good series. I'm always thinking pvx are going to be fun because protoss can be tricksy, but Rain was mostly "haha! tricked you into a macro game!" They were great macro games to be sure, but I would have liked some more variety.

Elyv posted:

That was a good series, it really felt like the first time this KSL that we saw two really good players go at it rather than the cool plays being some sort of weird goofy poo poo.

E: Maybe Mind vs Sharp too actually

If this is a dig on effort's world class burrow zerg I will not be happy.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

a cow posted:

Pretty good series. I'm always thinking pvx are going to be fun because protoss can be tricksy, but Rain was mostly "haha! tricked you into a macro game!" They were great macro games to be sure, but I would have liked some more variety.

If this is a dig on effort's world class burrow zerg I will not be happy.

wasn't that ASL

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Elyv posted:

wasn't that ASL

Huh, I didn't even think about there being two leagues. I guess that means you won't recommend any of the early rounds? I kinda bounced off Rapid's commentary pre-ro16 or whenever it was tastosis came back.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

a cow posted:

Huh, I didn't even think about there being two leagues. I guess that means you won't recommend any of the early rounds? I kinda bounced off Rapid's commentary pre-ro16 or whenever it was tastosis came back.
There were definitely good games, good matches, and good play(although I'd have to review what to recommend exactly), but it didn't feel like elite play, if that makes sense.

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Elyv posted:

There were definitely good games, good matches, and good play(although I'd have to review what to recommend exactly), but it didn't feel like elite play, if that makes sense.

Yeah, I've definitely thought that about a lot of new brood war. There seem to be fewer players who are consistently top class through a season, or even through a game. The absolute best might be even better than the old days though, so it's exciting to see how things turn out the coming year.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

So nice of Last to throw the series so we dodge a TvT final :v: but in all seriousness, Sharp will have his work cut out for him if Soulkey plays this well in the final. Soulkey has Flash and Light as training partners too :aaa:

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 8, 2018

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Fanatic posted:

So nice of Last to throw the series so we dodge a TvT final :v: but in all seriousness, Sharp will have his work cut out for him if Soulkey plays this well in the final. Soulkey has Flash and Light as training partners too :aaa:

TvT owns :mad:. Last's build choices were so strange, that was a super disappointing series. Also I get the impression that all the top pros are willing to be practice partners with like any top player who is in a tournament so I imagine we're going to find out that sharp is playing with effort and larva or whatever

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

a cow posted:

Yeah, I've definitely thought that about a lot of new brood war. There seem to be fewer players who are consistently top class through a season, or even through a game. The absolute best might be even better than the old days though, so it's exciting to see how things turn out the coming year.

I feel like the ASL has been pretty consistently entertaining. What I've watched of the KSL has felt hit or miss, like it wasn't a priority for some of the players. Moving to loser picking the next map this season was a good idea though. Who's bright idea was it in s1 to have winner pick the next map? What tournament does that??

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
KSL finals: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/349305829 I thought games 4 and 5 were pretty fun. mindgame 3rd hatch+drones in game 4 was awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

a cow posted:

KSL finals: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/349305829 I thought games 4 and 5 were pretty fun. mindgame 3rd hatch+drones in game 4 was awesome

Agreed on the spoiler. I thought it was interesting Sharp didn't really use the 1-1-1 build that's been so popular recently, is it falling out of favour now?