Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

every time I think about Ben Jacobs, I warmly remember how he promised not to sue in exchange for an on-the-record interview, and then Gianforte just never actually did the interview and managed to string Jacobs along for over half a year with vague hints of an intervies before Ben finally caught on and threw a Twitter tantrum over it

https://mobile.twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/902703339045101568

hahahaha I never knew that part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 18 days!)

StashAugustine posted:

Gonna guess that its pretty much 100% that the older person is the rich and powerful one

that's the definition of a sugar momma/daddy

Solkanar512 posted:

Ok, don't mean to derail, but I think the story is worth it.

Former CEO of my company cheats on wife #1 with his much younger secretary #1. Divorce happens and CEO marries secretary #1, who then quits her job to live the good life.

Former CEO of my company cheats on wife #2 with his much younger secretary #2. I believe he may have married her as well but at that point the board wanted someone new to run the company and all that resulted was endless training for the rest of us.

It does put things into perspective knowing that you're working to pay off somebody else's alimony.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/maxwelltani/status/1068162757877473281?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1068168429415424001

https://twitter.com/mattzarb/status/1068183462643929088

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

that's the definition of a sugar momma/daddy

It does put things into perspective knowing that you're working to pay off somebody else's alimony.

God damnit.

:allbuttons:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao

https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/1068199168353681408

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
It's funny this is happening the same week sbnation is releasing its hyper leftist MMA documentary with chapo

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

If anybody wants to join me on the crazytrain, thread belle Bari Weiss has a new editorial

Meanwhile, Friedman.

We Need a High Wall With a Big Gate

Opening: some kabuki shadow play horseshit like you'd read in a 1996 Newsweek op ed

Tommy concedes "ICE seems to have a bad culture" but "are not the KKK"

This opens into a fever swamp of the center analysis of immigration, with democrats being the "adults in the room" to "GOP using immigration as a wedge issue"

Concern here is: the flow of cheap labor, both "high energy, low education" workers and "STEM nerds who can be exploited by high tech"

This is "the core of the American dream"

And wow, hahaha, CSPAM, the toilet just exploded and the sewage is flowing down the stairs:

quote:

During the 19th and 20th centuries, the world shifted from being governed by large empires in many regions to being governed by independent nation-states. And the 50 years after World War II were a great time to be a weak little nation-state.

Yeah Friedman goes onto talk about what lucky little duckies small weak nations were to be pawns in the cold war

He then describes some of the problems these lucky duckies developed, and then decides that because the internet allowed the browns to see how nice America was, this caused an explosion in market demand for human trafficking, which in Friedman's mind is like uber but less cool as it doesn't pay dividends to white investors

He also cites the end of the cold war as America being so over its weak nation paramours, as the only thing they could get from them "is a bill."

Once again friedman classifies non-whites as living in the 'zone of disorder' and whites as living in the 'zone of order'

BUT HEY, friedman was in Argentina last month and is in Peru now, and both nations are for some reason concerned over the mass exodus of refugees from Venezuela for some reason!

The conclusion: western nations need to start investing more into stabilizing nations in the zone of disorder so they don't become vortexes of chaos like Venezuela. Which is true, but is very much like Dick Cheney suddenly stating "THE KURDS SHOULD FORM THEIR OWN NATION"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It's funny this is happening the same week sbnation is releasing its hyper leftist MMA documentary with chapo

if publishing leftist content while maintaining hyper-capitalist business practices was a problem jacobin would have gone out of business by now

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Nebakenezzer posted:

If anybody wants to join me on the crazytrain, thread belle Bari Weiss has a new editorial

Meanwhile, Friedman.

why do you do this to yourself

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
loll god i hope she is dead soon

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

jfc

https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1068248624574984192

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i wonder how mic was getting its money; my guess if it's like a lot of media operations is investor funding. now that spigot is starting to run dry

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
ah

quote:

Mic generates revenue through advertising known as "branded content". Digiday.com reported in November 2014 that "brands like Microsoft, Cole Haan, Cadillac and most recently GE have all tapped Mic in the last few months in the hopes of using its millennial expertise to reach the site's audience of educated 20-somethings".[23]

The New York Observer positively reacted to the company's financial practices in 2014, claiming that Mic had not made a profit and "is in the increasingly rare habit of actually paying each one of its contributors".[24]

As of April 2017, the company had raised $52 million[12] in funding from investors, including Lightspeed Venture Partners, Lerer Ventures, Advancit Capital, Red Swan Ventures, The John S. and James L. Knight Foundation,[25] Time Warner Investments, Kyu Collective and You & Mr Jones.[12] The company has not disclosed its valuation,[7] though The Wall Street Journal reported in April 2017 that it was “in the range of the ‘mid hundreds of millions’ of dollars.”[12]
lol

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

why do you do this to yourself

I like to contribute (and I'm not on twitter lol)

But with Friedman I'm sorta asking myself that too, I mean unlike preston brooks where you can laugh as you underline how awful his arguments are, Friedman is just bloviating and vague gesturing and even if you agree with points he makes, he makes them so dumbly and incompetently you still wanna fuckin' slap him

These mediocre white men and their feeble op-eds are what the NYT is all about

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
you earn your keep around these parts

your selfless sacrifice and stiff upper lip are much appreciated

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/1068257027657539584

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

zegermans posted:

hahahaha I never knew that part

it's a perfect sum-up of the modern media

getting beaten up by a fascist, and then immediately forgiving it in exchange for the promise of access

later, when the promises are broken, the media publishes a letter accusing the fascists of grave breaches of decorum for abusing the media's trust and naivete

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/tabletmag/status/1068157084221489153?s=19

love when they tell you who they are

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Tablet is an American Jewish online magazine founded in 2009 by Jewish non-profit Nextbook

What the gently caress is even going on anymore

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

#bothsides

https://twitter.com/negativedunks/status/1068200899041009664?s=21

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

:eyepop:

:popeye:

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Tablet is an American Jewish online magazine founded in 2009 by Jewish non-profit Nextbook

What the gently caress is even going on anymore

Tablet posted:

Since I was 12 I've had an unappealing, didactic distrust of people with the extreme will to live. My father's parents were Holocaust survivors, and in grade school I received the de rigueur exposure to the horror--visiting geriatric men and women with numbers tattooed on their arms, completing assigned reading like The Diary of Anne Frank and Night. But the more information I received, the less sympathy the survivors elicited from me. Each time we clapped for the old Hungarian lady who spoke about Dachau, each time Elie Wiesel threw another anonymous anecdote of betrayal onto a page, I eyed it askance, thinking What did you do that you're not talking about? I had the gut instinct that these were villains masquerading as victims who, solely by virtue of surviving (very likely by any means necessary), felt that they had earned the right to be heroes, their basic, animal self-interest dressed up with glorified phrases like "triumph of the human spirit."

I wondered if anyone had alerted Hitler that in the event that the final solution didn't pan out, only the handful of Jews who actually fulfilled the stereotype of the Judenscheisse (because every group has a few) would remain to carry on the Jewish race--conniving, indestructible, taking and taking. My grandparents were not excluded from this suspicion. The same year, during a family dinner conversation about Terri Schiavo, my father made the serious request that should he fall into a vegetative state, he would like for us to keep him on life support indefinitely. Today he and I are estranged for a number of other reasons that are all somehow the same reason.

Here, now you know all you need to know about Tablet

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

megalodong posted:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

megalodong posted:

This guy is sick in the head.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

i like that both sides are walls with barb wire

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

On one side we make lots of money off them, but on the other they're dangerous criminals. That's some balanced-rear end reporting right there

Also apparently the Daily Mail now has an American tv show? Wtf Britain

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

megalodong posted:

What the hell is this

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
love my pro nazi jewish magazine

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

megalodong posted:

if only this guy had a time machine, he could tell Hitler he got the wrong Jews

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

megalodong posted:

loving hell

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Guess who likes it!
https://twitter.com/nytdavidbrooks/status/1068299229997801479?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1068299229997801479

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

if you’re only half Jewish I guess you don’t qualify for Judensceisse

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

megalodong posted:

we joke about brokebrains a lot online but whoever wrote this has a severe mental illness and is a danger to society

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Nazi York Times at it again!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Guys like Brooks make me depressed. The insane outsized influence that these brainsick weirdos have and there are always more of them.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

megalodong posted:

what
WHAT

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
David Brooks is Joe Rogan but you replace "Chimpanzees" with "People with net worth under 10 million"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Zeroisanumber posted:

Guys like Brooks make me depressed. The insane outsized influence that these brainsick weirdos have and there are always more of them.
it's just capitalists handing people like him a giant microphone while putting giant gags on people who aren't like him