Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

mp5 posted:

Who else in this thread has a 970 video card? I want to see how it performs with someone else as a guinea pig (though i'm still buying it anyway)

I have an i5 6600, 16gb ram, and a 970. I'm not overly worried about it but definitely still going to wait and see what people say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

You mean swappable weapon and turret mounts? Yes. Most station parts also come with places you can mount guns if you want.

Also uh, apparently you can build stations 40km long???

Meaning more like hitting certain parts of bigger ships to cripple them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Leal posted:

Meaning more like hitting certain parts of bigger ships to cripple them.

Oh then yes I think so, shields, weapons, engines, turrets etc were physical objects on the surface in Rebirth and this is also how they're modeled in X4, I assume you can disable them the same as you could in Rebirth. One of the really good additions Rebirth made to the simulation.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

mp5 posted:

Who else in this thread has a 970 video card? I want to see how it performs with someone else as a guinea pig (though i'm still buying it anyway)

4GB 970 GTX/i5 4670k and 24GB RAM here, I'll let you know

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Hexenritter posted:

godspeed spaceman

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Hexenritter posted:

god bless

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
According to the benchmarks I'm looking up, a 970 is actually a pretty fast card? Or at least way faster than my 1050ti which plays everything I throw at it in 1920x1080 with close to max settings with no trouble maintaining >30 FPS

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Hexenritter posted:

I'm at an R9 280x and i5-4590 with 8GB RAM, so I will also be posting performance impressions.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Oh then yes I think so, shields, weapons, engines, turrets etc were physical objects on the surface in Rebirth and this is also how they're modeled in X4, I assume you can disable them the same as you could in Rebirth. One of the really good additions Rebirth made to the simulation.

Goooooood. I disliked how it felt combat was an all or nothing thing when it came to capitals. It either fought at the same strength between 100% to 1% or it was dead.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

i5 6600k 970 and 16GB, will let you know tomorrow evening.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

rt4 posted:

According to the benchmarks I'm looking up, a 970 is actually a pretty fast card? Or at least way faster than my 1050ti which plays everything I throw at it in 1920x1080 with close to max settings with no trouble maintaining >30 FPS

With nvidia cards the second half of the number indicates how powerful the card is, with the first half being the series. So a 1050 is a mid range series 10 while a 970 is a high end series 9. Generally the high end of the previous series can outperform the mid range of the next series in terms of raw power while the series increments can bring improvements in architecture, power efficiency, and support for new graphical techniques.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 30, 2018

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

We 970 goons should start a club. A cool club.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I'm down. We just need a cool name and a logo

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I'm going to try running it over steam link as well, my PC runs rebirth super smooth that way so I'm optimistic.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
RX-480 superiority. Where my Radeon bros at?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The 10 series is STILL too god drat expensive club.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

big nipples big life posted:

one day I'll upgrade :smith:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm glad I grabbed mine before bitcoins took off.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

big nipples big life posted:

:smuggo: 1080.

Irony is that i play CMANO and roguelikes at blistering framerates.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Just checked on Steam and it's 15 hours-ish until we can start being spaceweed dealers.

On the one hand that means it's going to hit in around noon my time, but on the other hand that means it's going to hit around noon my time.

Also apparently it's a top seller, so that's pretty neat!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its looking like its gonna unlock as soon as I get off work :unsmith:

Sadly I work 3 am saturday morning :smith:

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I expect a full book report from all of you by 7PM central tomorrow so that way I can technically not have preordered

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Ofc I have an interview an hour after it launches :argh:

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
unless they changed it I believe they said it was just a placeholder time anyhow

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I have to drive across the continent and then work for six days before I can maybe play this.

Plus side I'll know how solid it is by then. :v:

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

mods changed my name posted:

unless they changed it I believe they said it was just a placeholder time anyhow

This one seems pretty legit; they've got a countdown timer for the Collector's Edition going right now, so...

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
slowly accepting the fact that i'm still gonna have my EVE market alt logged in while i play this game for the next month because I'm a broke brain

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Dr. Snark posted:

This one seems pretty legit; they've got a countdown timer for the Collector's Edition going right now, so...

Wait, what countdown timer?

I need something to hit F5 repeatedly on for the next few hours.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Airspace posted:

Wait, what countdown timer?

I need something to hit F5 repeatedly on for the next few hours.

Steam store page. It'll count down in real time even, so you don't even need to get RSI through F5 abuse!

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
If any of you pre-order maniacs are using a HOTAS setup please let me know how it behaves. Between that and my 970 I am concerned that I should not have pre-ordered

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

At this point I don't think you're really "preordering" so much as "getting the key early so I can download it the second it's officially released."

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Dr. Snark posted:

Earlier today on their forums they said to ignore it:

quote:

As we've said in several threads asking this already, we don't have an exact time yet, and you should not take too much noticed of the Steam countdown for an exact time either.
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=400484&sid=deeedeec703f5671accbef7662bdd9a7&start=390#p4755427

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The 970 thing is because that first streamer had a 970 and had OBS horrifically misconfigured so it was at like 30 FPS right?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

hobbesmaster posted:

The 970 thing is because that first streamer had a 970 and had OBS horrifically misconfigured so it was at like 30 FPS right?

It's the minimum requirement

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Oh I thought that was the recommended requirement

edit:

quote:

MINIMUM:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
OS: Windows 10 (64-bit), Windows 8 (64-bit), Windows 7 SP1 (64-bit)
Processor: Intel i5-4590 3.3GHz or AMD equivalent
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 780/970 or AMD equivalent (Vulkan support required)
Storage: 12 GB available space
Additional Notes: These estimates may change until final release.

RECOMMENDED:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
OS: Windows 10 (64-bit), Windows 8 (64-bit), Windows 7 SP1 (64-bit)
Processor: Intel Core i7-6700 or AMD equivalent
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1070 or AMD equivalent (Vulkan support required)
Storage: 12 GB available space
Additional Notes: These estimates may change until final release.

I thought my 1070 would be overkill for years with my 60 hz screen.

My cpu may finally be an issue for more than capping frame rates at like 150

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 30, 2018

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

pulled the drat trigger, gently caress it

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
The last one was fine for me with a 970 and an amd bulldozer cpu that was hot garbage for gaming. I would think a game like this will hit the cpu hardest. When i upgraded to a 980 this is one of the first games i tested and it really didnt change anything but getting rid of my amd bulldozer did slightly improve performance so id guess your cpu is whats gonna make the difference. Those amd bulldozers were so poo poo im not sure thats a relevant anecdote though that cpu made a lot of games stutter it was hot garbage.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Aw dangit I hope that my 960 can run it :( It worked decently with Rebirth.

Don't look at me like that.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
How can they not have an unlock time nailed down yet? It's already release day there.

Push the drat button you cowards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Popete posted:

How can they not have an unlock time nailed down yet? It's already release day there.

Push the drat button you cowards

An earlier post references a developer saying to a stream that they had to leave to go render the end credits.

So they probably want every last possible minute they can get before pushing The Button.