Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Coxswain Balls posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-privatization-forest-fire-service-1.4925541

Our provincial forest firefighting service just got privatized. Just in time for climate change to start burning down more of our poo poo.

How the hell could forest firefighting ever turn a profit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah that’s the part that’s so ridiculous to me. The only “client” they’d have would be the province... meaning that it’s still taxpayer funded but now it’ll cost more because the service has to turn a profit rather than just cover its costs.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

sitchensis posted:

Sir I'll have you know that this isn't about turning a profit but rather getting the best possible service for the least amount of money. That's how capitalism and the free market are supposed to work, right?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
The Metis trying to carve out a land claim/homeland for themselves is fairly troubling. Especially when it's encroaching on the land of actual FN people with their historic roots and people intact. Like the Metis are premised around being a group of people who've accepted mixing with French Canadians historically, why are they claiming homeland over traditional territories of first nations that haven't been apart of that culture? I get that the Metis are a melting pot of people and groups in some ways, but that doesn't mean they should take precedence over other groups that existed and continue to exist.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

sitchensis posted:

No you see now we can pay this company 100 million a year to run the water bombers we own instead of operating a government department at who knows what cost!(much less than that)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

This is somehow even better. Just lie about everything to everyone all the time. No one knows what the truth is because in fact there is no truth.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

infernal machines posted:

Just lie about everything to everyone all the time. No one knows what the truth is because in fact there is no truth.
Conservatives have been doing this since I began paying attention to politics in like 1999. Bush and his people did it, Harper did it. It's nothing new tbh.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Toalpaz posted:

The Metis trying to carve out a land claim/homeland for themselves is fairly troubling. Especially when it's encroaching on the land of actual FN people with their historic roots and people intact. Like the Metis are premised around being a group of people who've accepted mixing with French Canadians historically, why are they claiming homeland over traditional territories of first nations that haven't been apart of that culture? I get that the Metis are a melting pot of people and groups in some ways, but that doesn't mean they should take precedence over other groups that existed and continue to exist.

That being said my main complaint is that First Nations and other Indigenous people in Canada need to work together synergistically to advance their issues and be an advocate to end colonial and unjust practices (better living conditions/infrastructure, stopping systemic racism). This is just going to be another wedge issue that puts indigenous people against each other, and make other bands and the Metis more defensive and self interested, I feel.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

(Whether or not she quit or was pushed out is kinda immaterial, the writing was on the wall yesterday when the PCs initially denied her unanimous consent to speak on the NDP's motion, and then later also denied her unanimous consent to have her vote on the motion recorded because she missed the right moment to vote.)

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

Vous comprenez pas. Ford avait l'air tellement sincère quand il a promis d'apprendre le français.

e: I have never met Amanda Simard so I trust Pinterest Mom's opinion. It's hard to not see her as an opportunist though. All the signs were there that Franco-Ontarians would not get any sympathy from the Conservatives.

Oh tbc I wasn't offering myself up as a character witness, we were I think a year apart and not anything resembling close.

Taking a principled stand and resigning from the caucus is good, and it speaks to her commitment to her constituents.

The fact that she thought francophones in Ontario weren't one of the minorities that would get hosed over by the PC platform, on the other hand, raises some questions about her judgement. Like, in this instance she's somewhat less sympathetic than that UBI recipient who voted PC and then had a tearful interview with the CBC after it was cancelled.
Yeah, absolutely. She gave a tearful speech in the legislature yesterday remembering going to rallies to save the Monfort hospital as a kid, and like, what did she expect.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

This is somehow even better. Just lie about everything to everyone all the time. No one knows what the truth is because in fact there is no truth.

*Staffers continue applause to drown out questions*

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pinterest Mom posted:

(Whether or not she quit or was pushed out is kinda immaterial, the writing was on the wall yesterday when the PCs initially denied her unanimous consent to speak on the NDP's motion, and then later also denied her unanimous consent to have her vote on the motion recorded because she missed the right moment to vote.)

lol? She's surely been an MPP long enough to do a few votes by now. Was she waiting for the rest of the people around her to stand up?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

sitchensis posted:

You sit down with your old school chum or former and/or future work colleague or brother/sister in law who happens to oversee who gets that government contract and you perform the art of the deal.

So pretty much the same way you turn a profit in any industry in this country.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Toalpaz posted:

The Metis Nation is not just people of mixed heritage. It is a distinct group of people that are connected by a shared culture, kinship, and political history, and centered around a geographic area. Sure the word metis means mixed, but someone being mixed heritage does not make them Metis. The Metis Nation fought against the Canadians to have their rights recognized, and as a result signed an agreement with the government (which was then promptly ignored by Ottawa, in true Canadian fashion).

Of course the Metis Nation should do everything they can to work with other indigenous groups to ensure that they are not unfairly or unjustly competing for resources, land claims etc.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Stan Rogers would have turned 69 today.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nice

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

sitchensis posted:

You work on a 100% profit margin and bill work plus to the government duh

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Privatized firefighting? I guess I was a little pessimistic about that hazard pay for post disaster cleanup jobs. It's happening already.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Toalpaz posted:

Umm pretty sure the Metis are "actual" first nations people. This isnt some people LARPing

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Métis and First Nations are two separate groups. Both could be called aboriginal and it’d be accurate.

:goonsay:

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

zapplez posted:

Umm pretty sure the Metis are "actual" first nations people. This isnt some people LARPing

Lol, if we're talking about accurate use of the word 'First Nations' then that categorically excludes Metis. What you're thinking of is 'indigenous' or 'aboriginal', those words include both First Nations and Metis. My intent when I wrote 'Actual' was to stress that there are actual people in those lands with treaties that have been implemented unfairly by Canada, and who also with a legal history of ownership to the land and are not Metis.To have Metis paint over a huge swath of land as their homeland has weird and bad connotations imo. But upon looking at the Natural Geographic apparently this has been referred to the Metis home land before. I just hope they don't end up competing in public consciousness.

E: Yeah.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Métis Scrip was handled by the Canadian government in exactly the way you would expect. There are historical grievances there for sure.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
bad argument to get in to

xtal fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 30, 2018

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

I thought my neck of the woods was quiet but now the cops here are shooting each other

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news-story/9058620-police-officer-shoots-fellow-nrp-cop-during-argument/

Even weirder, the one who got shot was the one with a history of suspensions for violent behaviour

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Helsing posted:

But shitheads like you who appropriate the language of identity politics poison the well by twisting it into a defense of someone who supported Doug Ford.

radical centerists have done an excellent job of weaponizing intersectional theory. 'bernie bros' etc. same way they've been hollowing out marxist terminology over the decades... labour becoming 'human capital', a tool to be deployed as opposed to actual people who create. there should be a book out soonish by phil mirowski that goes into detail on the latter, but the former is a bit outside his wheelhouse, so I dunno if he's gonna touch on it.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2018/11/29/police-officer-seriously-injured-in-shooting-near-niagara-siu-says.html

who does the police union back up in this kind of case?

aw, beaten

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I will never forgive the Metis for swap.avi.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

McGavin posted:

I will never forgive the Metis for swap.avi.

:eyepoop:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Tochiazuma posted:

I thought my neck of the woods was quiet but now the cops here are shooting each other

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news-story/9058620-police-officer-shoots-fellow-nrp-cop-during-argument/

Even weirder, the one who got shot was the one with a history of suspensions for violent behaviour

My brain is about to explode. If all cops are bastards then what is a cop that shoots another cop? Does it cancel out or is he a double-bastard?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Tochiazuma posted:

The abusive arsehole got nailed five times and is only in critical condition. Methinks someone needs more range time.

Not sure if I agree with the death penalty for beating up cyclists and pepper spraying restrained, confined individuals but my sympathy gland is definitely not functioning this morning.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Coxswain Balls posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-privatization-forest-fire-service-1.4925541

Our provincial forest firefighting service just got privatized. Just in time for climate change to start burning down more of our poo poo.

Let's make forest fires profitable to business. What could go wrong?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

InfiniteZero posted:

Let's make forest fires profitable to business. What could go wrong?

Look, no one wants forest fires, but if they're gonna happen, we may as well make a little money off them, no?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

So the supreme court ruled against VICE, the RCMP is allowed to have their reporter's documents relating to an interview with a now dead alleged ISIS member.

https://news.vice.com/en_ca/article/qvqzvv/supreme-court-rules-against-vice-in-press-freedom-battle-against-the-rcmp

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Triple threat

Continuing the longstanding tradition of making only the most corrupt Toronto police head of the OPP:

https://twitter.com/CBCQueensPark/status/1068273982585982976

This is the guy Bill loving Blair circumvented when investigating Rob Ford because he was considered compromised. But yeah, a close friend of the Premier just got appointed to head up the provincial police, NBD.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Don't care, electricity is cheap now. Switched over to fossil fuel heating anyway.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Don't care, electricity is cheap now. Switched over to fossil fuel heating anyway.

I guess the good news is it's no longer possible for the government to commit crimes. No more scandals!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Guys which PR system do I vote for in BC they're all so much better than FPTP I can't decide

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

jfood posted:

radical centerists

Is that actually a thing you can be?

"I will go to any length to ensure that nothing changes for better or for worse. There is no level of obstructionism and obfuscation too extreme to maintain the status quo. "

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Eej posted:

Guys which PR system do I vote for in BC they're all so much better than FPTP I can't decide

MMP => RUP > DMP

also uh. might wanna get on that today champ.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

The Butcher posted:

Is that actually a thing you can be?

"I will go to any length to ensure that nothing changes for better or for worse. There is no level of obstructionism and obfuscation too extreme to maintain the status quo. "

No man it's calculus. With the current set, things are improving at a pretty good rate and us militant centrists are pretty satisfied with the current rate of things getting better or don't think that your proposal to make things better even faster will actually deliver over our tried and true current implementation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

THC posted:

MMP => RUP > DMP

also uh. might wanna get on that today champ.

Yeah I was gonna hand in my vote but then it looks like the deadline has been extended to Dec 7 so heck, I can just drop it off next time I'm in Brentwood Mall.

MMP's like the standard across the world, why did we have to go invent two new Canadian First versions to make things more complicated