Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

geeves posted:

One of our VPs recently told us a story how his former COO used to hold phone conference meetings from home. In the bathtub.

This is awesome and I would love to do it too, though? As long as there's no camera and the sloshing is minimised why should you care how I luxuriate in my own home?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Volmarias posted:

This is awesome and I would love to do it too, though? As long as there's no camera and the sloshing is minimised why should you care how I luxuriate in my own home?

Yeah the one thing that got me about that anecdote was that it probably had a terrible echo.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

geeves posted:

One of our VPs recently told us a story how his former COO used to hold phone conference meetings from home. In the bathtub.

Hey it was good enough for Winston Churchill.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

necrobobsledder posted:

American business always seems to have standard practices border upon near-criminal and completely rear end in a top hat practices. I’m not particularly convinced that it’s efficient beyond what it looks like on paper.

Welcome to capitalism.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Volmarias posted:

I read this as a response to the masturbation story :gonk:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Volmarias posted:

It's the only place I get good signal!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Che Delilas posted:

It baffles me how blasé our management is about sharing intimate details of our product with the people we're selling it to. No, I'm not taking a screenshot of our goddamned cloud infrastructure or putting together a class hierarchy diagram for a particularly noisy client. They're subscribing to our service, not buying a how-to guide to make their own.

I'm a developer, why am I the gatekeeper of this poo poo?
If your infrastructure is somehow your secret sauce, what benefit are you even getting from the cloud?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I am working on a user story in a specific area of our application that I am familiar with.

There are two user stories left for our team to work on in this area - the one I have assigned to myself, and the other that literally states "To be determined after all other [Application Area] user stories are completed" as the first thing in the description box, bold text and everything. It's even linked as a successor story in Azure DevOps.

Guess what user story got picked up by another dev before I'm done with my user story?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Vulture Culture posted:

If your infrastructure is somehow your secret sauce, what benefit are you even getting from the cloud?

Those were examples of the many things they've asked for, almost as if they want some insight on how to build it themselves.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Che Delilas posted:

Those were examples of the many things they've asked for, almost as if they want some insight on how to build it themselves.
I'm not sure I would sweat that any more than I would worry about another company's engineering team cobbling together a competitive threat from Stack Overflow snippets, personally. If they're wasting all their time fishing for things that are either obvious or unimportant, it's pretty clear they have neither the technical expertise nor the initiative to actually execute this or anything else. It's probably one person on the team who fancies himself the World's Best Critic looking for ways to make themselves feel smart about your product, despite being way too lazy to build anything of remotely the same complexity.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

necrobobsledder posted:

American business always seems to have standard practices border upon near-criminal and completely rear end in a top hat practices. I’m not particularly convinced that it’s efficient beyond what it looks like on paper.
Capitalism is a Paperclip Maximizer

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
How is it that people in TYOOL 2018 still can't use Outlook worth a drat, especially employees at a software development company?

It's kind of a rhetorical question, but why would you reuse a separate email thread to report a new bug ticket, only to have the two tickets inevitably get mixed up in the email thread and confusing everyone involved? The "New Email" button is only like 5 buttons to the left of "Reply All".

TGIF.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

How is it that people in TYOOL 2018 still can't use Outlook worth a drat, especially employees at a software development company?

It's kind of a rhetorical question, but why would you reuse a separate email thread to report a new bug ticket, only to have the two tickets inevitably get mixed up in the email thread and confusing everyone involved? The "New Email" button is only like 5 buttons to the left of "Reply All".

TGIF.

Microsoft's GUI changes are rear end is how

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

dumb question: for a parent--<child data model, when looking for the child in a REST service, is:

/parents/{id}/childs/{id}

more restful, or should I just go

/childs/{id}

I feel like the first is more RESTful but the second makes more sense and I'd like to know your collective thoughts on the matter (doesn't count as bikeshedding if it's an asynchronous conversation :colbert: )

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Microsoft's GUI changes are rear end is how

It is but I imagine the "reusing one thread to talk about something else" thing isn't unique to Outlook.

Edit: The one that gets me is when people use an email from me to open up Skype with that email as the subject line while talking about something else completely.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

ChickenWing posted:

dumb question: for a parent--<child data model, when looking for the child in a REST service, is:

/childs/{id}

I feel like the first is more RESTful but the second makes more sense and I'd like to know your collective thoughts on the matter (doesn't count as bikeshedding if it's an asynchronous conversation :colbert: )

The first one is more consistent:
GET /parents = List all parents
GET /parents/{id} = Get a specific parent
GET /parents/{id}/children = List all children of parent
GET /parents/{id}/children/{childId} = Get a specific child

Of course, you could opt for both consistency and convenience and make
GET /parents/{id}/children/{childId} and GET /children/{childId} map to the same controller action.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 30, 2018

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Of course, you could opt for both consistency and convenience and make
GET /parents/{id}/children/{childId} and GET /children/{childId} map to the same controller action.

This is what I was going to say. If you anticipate a situation where you might have the child ID, but not the parent ID, you might want to have this route available so the parent wouldn't need to be looked up.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

That begs the question, is every child id globally unique or just unique to the parent? And if it is globally unique, do you even call that a parent child relationship, or is it just two associated sets of data?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

i could write a book about things that can go wrong with putting spas in iframes. it'd go like:
chapter 1: wtf is document.domain=document.domain
chapter 2: omg something went wrong in an iframe, how do i get the breakpoint to hit?
chapter 3: onbeforeunload doesn't fire in an iframe, what do I do
chapter 4: trying to figure out when the iframe is loaded
chapter 5: handling localstorage events in iframes
chapter 6: oh gently caress which frame is the code in my event handler running
chapter 7: it's loving webdev just put everything in a try catch.
chapter 8: don't embed pdfs and videos using iframes, use embed/video tags you stupid motherfuckers
etc.

My current employer puts everything in "popups" that are just an iframe inside a div.

I spend more time fighting bugs that must have existed since they started doing this 15 years ago than I do on anything else. My current headache is that querySelectAll run on the parent dom doesn't appear to search inside iframes.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I remember introducing an employer to XMLHTTPRequest in like 2007, rewriting the core part of their product to simply send the relevant data and have the browser do something useful, instead of creating entirely new pages every time. I was apparently some sort of wizard back then, especially since I preferred debugging my local environment via the debugger instead of printing debug logs.

In retrospect there was a lot wrong with that place.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It is but I imagine the "reusing one thread to talk about something else" thing isn't unique to Outlook.

Edit: The one that gets me is when people use an email from me to open up Skype with that email as the subject line while talking about something else completely.

Thank god our company is switching to Teams by the end of next year. Skype for Business is such rear end.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

LLSix posted:

My current employer puts everything in "popups" that are just an iframe inside a div.

I spend more time fighting bugs that must have existed since they started doing this 15 years ago than I do on anything else. My current headache is that querySelectAll run on the parent dom doesn't appear to search inside iframes.

i've seen crazy bullshit like people trying to make context menus and dropdowns using iframes (if you hear the term "iframe mask" from a developer, you should take away commit privileges).

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

Thank god our company is switching to Teams by the end of next year. Skype for Business is such rear end.

We used Teams for a while. Good luck is all I have to say.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

dantheman650 posted:

We used Teams for a while. Good luck is all I have to say.

We haven't had any technical problems with it, but our company is one of the larger companies out there and has some pull with Microsoft, so I suspect we get the primo support.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The best thing I have to say about Teams is that it is an improvement over Skype.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

does teams allow for copying and pasting things that are more than 6 characters?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

does teams allow for copying and pasting things that are more than 6 characters?

I've never had that issue with Skype, though in my experience it is a complete PITA to copy anything in Skype. It is about 90% less of a pain in the rear end to copy anything in Teams.

It retains all formatting and hyperlinks if pasted into Word or something though.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Teams is kinda slow sometimes (on Mac) but 1000% better than Skype.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

ChickenWing posted:

/childs/{id}

How do you deal with the relationships between a grandfather, father, and son?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Protocol7 posted:

TGIF.

I've never used outlook in my life, AMA

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1068569128506728448

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Pedestrian Xing posted:

Teams is kinda slow sometimes (on Mac) but 1000% better than Skype.

I imagine 50% of corporate espionage now is capturing Google searches of IM conversations accidentally pasted into a browser address bar because Skype refuses to just copy the URL.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Vulture Culture posted:

I'm not sure I would sweat that any more than I would worry about another company's engineering team cobbling together a competitive threat from Stack Overflow snippets, personally. If they're wasting all their time fishing for things that are either obvious or unimportant, it's pretty clear they have neither the technical expertise nor the initiative to actually execute this or anything else. It's probably one person on the team who fancies himself the World's Best Critic looking for ways to make themselves feel smart about your product, despite being way too lazy to build anything of remotely the same complexity.

I probably shouldn't give it a thought, they certainly don't have the competence to build a version of what we sell them. I just think it's dumb to drop trou like that, simple components or not.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

vonnegutt posted:

Apparently Amazon, for all their faults, does a written agenda thing and actually sets aside like 10 minutes at the beginning of the meeting for everyone to silently read the agenda together.

That is a fault, that artificially inflates meetings by 10 minutes. You should read the agenda before you accept an invitation to decide if it's appropriate for you to be there, or if someone else needs to be there not on the agenda, or if it's something that can be solved with a one line email.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Hughlander posted:

That is a fault, that artificially inflates meetings by 10 minutes. You should read the agenda before you accept an invitation to decide if it's appropriate for you to be there, or if someone else needs to be there not on the agenda, or if it's something that can be solved with a one line email.

this is what they actually do for document review, not meeting agendas

get together, read document silently, discuss for remainder of meeting

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

TwoDice posted:

Yeah and to be honest it’s way better than it seems.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Janitor Prime posted:

Yeah and to be honest it’s way better than it seems.

i'm not convinced it's better than other forms of document review (doc comments, whatever else you want) but it's not insane

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

TwoDice posted:

Not so insane. Although there's no reason to have to read it in the room unless there's a regulatory/legal element. It's perfectly normal at my company to timebox and bill say .25 hrs to a client for having to take time out of the day to read and respond to documentation.

Like our project managers may hop across a dozen clients across a day and their schedule is close to 100% booked. If the beginning of a meeting has 10mins timeboxed to read documentation (*and people who have read it can do other work while they wait) it's totally sensible.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I did a code walkthrough today for the middletier server I've been maintaining for the last couple months.

I actually feel bad that I made people sit through that and I really should have broken it down into multiple focused meetings instead of one 1h30m bore-a-thon.

Lesson learned :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Love to arrive at a conference room right when a meeting is scheduled to start to find nobody there, so I go to the bathroom and return a minute later to find people wondering out loud where I am and going, "Oh, here he is!" when I walk in!

Also love for the PM to hijack their own meeting with an issue that involves the application we're talking about, but not the project, because the issue happened to the wrong customer. Then, when I say I don't know what's causing the problem, continues to explain the background of the issue for five minutes. Then, ten minutes later, finally acknowledges that I probably could've just sent an email and not come to the meeting that had only two other people in it.

Ugh, this position really shouldn't be full-time and every time I have a meeting, my brain starts chanting, "QUIT! QUIT! QUIT!"