Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

alienating young voters earlier and earlier in their lives. Good strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Shorten really rubbing in the Victorian election result now

https://twitter.com/billshortenmp/status/1068320033229533184?s=21

He’s just out there partying with the gangs?!

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/kevinbonham/status/1068304788134088704

libs might be losing another seat at this rate, maybe 56-57 seats for labor after all. a bit lower than the abc prediction of 58 on election night but pretty good!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Mr Chips posted:

sounds like the same attitude to info tech and data analysis that I keep encountering in the senior management caste in both the public and private sector.

It absolutely is and I often wonder wtf they learn in their MBAs that predisposes them to it.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Canavan is like some Clarke and Dawe caricature of a Liberal.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Is that a real not made up quote from Canavan?

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Is that a real not made up quote from Canavan?

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/climate-change-protest-will-lead-to-dole-queue-minister-tells-students-20181130-p50jbt.html

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Claims ABC told to hire more 'rightwing commentators' to win funding
Sarah Hanson-Young turns to a consultant, Andrew Maiden, who was working alongside the ABC’s chief financial officer, Louise Higgins.

Guthrie says Maiden wrote “papers for the board”. His role was to help make the case for more government funding during negotiations.

Hanson-Young asks Guthrie if she was aware that Maiden had suggested that one way to succeed in those negotiations was “that the ABC needs to hire more rightwing conservative commentators to ease political tensions”.

Guthrie: I subsequently became aware of that, yes.

Those suggestions were not made while she was present, but she was told about them.

Hanson-Young asks if she was aware that the proposal for more “rightwing commentators” was “in a draft proposal to the board that was then revised”.

Guthrie was not aware. Asked about the relationship between Guthrie and Milne, she says they had “worked together in the past”.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Kids are cool, especially when they have grown adults shook enough to say something that stupid

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
So a group of future voters are telling the politicians what actions they want the government to take and his response is to tell them they’ll all grow up to be dole bludgers? Nice.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
its okay everyone will be dead from climate change by the time those kids reach a majority of the voting population

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

fiery_valkyrie posted:

So a group of future voters are telling the politicians what actions they want the government to take and his response is to tell them they’ll all grow up to be dole bludgers? Nice.

[img - Seymour Skinner "Am I wrong or are the kids wrong?"]

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
my enormous son will save us

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Reclines Obesily posted:

But Resources Minister Matt Canavan says he wants children in school learning about how to build mines, do geology and how to drill for oil and gas, "which is one of the most remarkable science exploits in the world". 

Rather than trying to change the status quo these kids need to get started early on being financially invested in not changing the status quo.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
When I was younger I was attending protests for same sex marriage and making fun of the guys who showed up there dressed as V with Anonymous signs and the SAlties trying to coopt the movement. But sure being told I'll grow out of it and same sex marriage isn't going to be a thing the olds then were proven right.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Liberals sleepwalk to an electoral calamity but can they be roused to save the furniture?

The Morrison government is sleepwalking to an electoral calamity. Can the Liberal Party be roused from its slumber in time at least to save the furniture?

This week the Victorian Opposition leader Matthew Guy tendered his resignation. He spoke to the Liberal state administrative committee warning the federal parliamentary party faces an existential crisis. He is said to have expressed a view Labor may be looking at a 60-seat majority in the federal parliament after next year’s election.

That figure is no idle speculation. It’s probably where we are now.

Labor could easily pick up 30 seats at the next federal election and nudge the ton. Add 10 or so on the crossbenches and that would leave the Coalition with a seat count somewhere around the low 40s. Given the Nationals might only lose one or two, the LNP in Queensland say, eight, the Liberals (I’m counting those in the LNP who sit in the Liberal Party room) might only be able to rustle up a couple of cricket teams in the next parliament. No 12th man to help with the fielding. Last man gets his tucker.

A Liberal Party room meeting could be held comfortably in a cloak room. That is, until the brawling broke out. Then it might look like the climax of the Mark Brothers’ state room scene from A Night at The Opera.

If these numbers were realised, it is hard to see the Liberal Party in its current form and structure surviving the post-election internal recriminations amid the white-hot factional argy-bargy. The prospect of an enduring schism is real.

Political parties come and go. Nothing in politics is forever. Prior to Sir Robert Menzies founding the Liberal Party in 1944, right-leaning centralist and conservative parties fell by the wayside every decade or so after federation. The Labor Party, the once broad church of the left, could not bear the stresses of a vast ideological divide within its ranks and split in 1954-55.

The government has lost control of the lower house. Executive government has all but ended and come next year, both houses of parliament will only sit for two weeks prior to an election being called some time in May. Put aside three days for the passage of supply bills and that doesn’t leave a lot of time for passing legislation.

If you listen carefully, you can hear the sound of Martha and the Vandellas’ hit playing in the background. “Nowhere to run to, baby. Nowhere to hide…” Good thing Phil Spector is not running around, eh?

Elaborate furniture saving exercises will be dreamt up. This morning the notion of a Julie Bishop leadership tilt was put about. It was a media construction to be sure but don’t think some Liberal MPs have not thought about it. jhristopher Pyne poo-poohed the idea, saying, “We have a leader, it’s Scott Morrison. We are not changing the leader again.”

Even slow learners catch on eventually.

While a similar state of chaos might have the Shorten Labor Party salivating, it will not be good for our democracy. Good government requires a solid opposition to keep it on its toes. Conversely, if the Liberals engage in factional brawling to the point of blowing the party up, Labor will do as it pleases, and this means bad policy and bad law will get through the parliament without scrutiny or effective amendment.

The quiver is not entirely bare. The Morrison government has a budget which we are told will be a surplus budget, largely on the back of increased company tax receipts. The surplus itself is a selling point, speaking of sound economic management. The economy is spluttering along, rather than purring. The major concerns lie in the property market and this might play against Shorten’s policy to curb negative gearing and capital gains tax exemptions.

The word is the Morrison government will take a leaf out of Dan Andrews’ playbook and spend up on schools, hospitals and infrastructure. That is sensible. A tax cut across the board detailed in a budget some six weeks before an election and thus likely to have little or no hip pocket impact, will look like a piece of Oprah Winfrey-ism — “Everybody gets a car!”

If handled delicately and well, the government might just be able to save some furniture but when we hear stories of the collapse of cabinet government with ministers spending more time contemplating their careers post-politics than attending to their ministerial duties, one wonders if they can pull it off.

Two weeks ago, I went to a barbecue and spoke with a couple of dyed-in-the-wool Liberal voters. One said the Liberal Party deserved to be consigned to opposition. The other wanted Tony Abbott’s political career roughly terminated at the ballot box. Neither will be voting Liberal next year.

It’s a tiny sample size for sure but I was taken by their vehemence and their conviction. I’d suggest there’s very little possibility they will come back to the Liberal fold any time soon. It came after the predictable loss in Wentworth, or at least I thought it was predictable. Some analysts and commentators put the blame on Wentworth’s voters. But then we had the Victorian results where huge swings against the Liberal Party occurred in blue ribbon seats like Hawthorn, Sandringham and Brighton.

Forget the Wayne Goss voters on their verandahs toting baseball bat metaphor. My best guess is voters have already made up their minds and are going to the shed to get the old Gray Nicks out (I’m more of a Gunn & Moore man myself).

The only question that remains is will the punters have nails sticking out of them or not?

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/op...e=TheAustralian

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Here I am thinking a Liberal calamity is a necessary step to saving the future

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

I'm sorry

The MARK brothers?!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Was going to say in retrospect but honestly this was true at the time and is just more true now.

If Turnbull was going to be rolled and Anyone But Dutton had to happen they should've backed Julie Bishop not Morrison.

She's managed to cone out of this unscathed relatively and as Morrison has shown he was nowhere near prepared to be a real person in charge instead with this affectation of what seems to be an RSL impersonator of what they think Bob Hawke was like through just watching footage of Australia II.

Also ignoring Hawke was always like that and you can't do a seismic shift in personality without everyone catching on. It's why Julia is the only one of the last decade to have an iota of respect - her personality didn't change. She may have taken on politics that were anathema to satiate the right but people can still think they knew who she was and what she was. Contrast with Rudd, Abbott, Turnbull before they started looking to turf him, it's a bunch of people playing pretend in what they think voters want.

Lid fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 30, 2018

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Reclines Obesily posted:

its okay everyone will be dead from climate change by the time those kids reach a majority of the voting population

Most of these kids will be voting in 2-3 years. These kids won't be waiting to enrol to vote, or fail to re-enroll when they jump from rental to rental like my generation did, unless there is a massive sweep-out of right wing parties across the anglosphere and they become complacent, like the late 2000s. I think there's enough to keep the energy up.

When I was in high school, activism among secondary students was unpopular, and while I wouldn't say I was ridiculed for it, people didn't really get it and weren't really interested in politics. Most were of the opinion that they were two sides of a lovely coin, and to be honest this was the Beasley era so they weren't that far off. Most of the people I organised with and rallied with were my sister's friends, undergrads for the most part. These kids are far more active than we were.

It's not the first time it's happened though. Back when I was a Resistance member, their handbook had a newspaper clipping from the 70s or 80s with a broadsheet front pager making GBS threads its pants because high school students said "gently caress" during an anti-nuclear war protest. Stark contrast against my generation.

If Shorten can pull off a half-way decent campaign for his second term, based on progressive principals that actually resonate with people under 40, there's a good chance these kids' votes will actually keep the inevitable supermajority going when the millennials start to slip into their 40s and become stupid, rather than the typical 2nd term hung parliament poo poo we've had for the past two second term governments. That's pretty meaningful if you want to see this shitboat start to turn around.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Lid posted:

It's why Julia is the only one of the last decade to have an iota of respect - her personality didn't change.

this is potentially one of the least correct things i've read today

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

The Real Julia™©

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
How many parliamentary moments can you recall since the misogyny speech?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Lid posted:

How many parliamentary moments can you recall since the misogyny speech?

If you want “parliamentary moments” why don’t you go wank yourself to death watching Paul Keatings neoliberal zinger hour

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
The Pope cartoon about the misogyny speech was pretty good

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Literally the same day she made that speech she gutted welfare for single mums. Gillard was probably the best PM since Whitlam but that’s for lack of competition and the idea that she was some kind of “stick to her core principles” PM is laughable

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Solemn Sloth posted:

If you want “parliamentary moments” why don’t you go wank yourself to death watching Paul Keatings neoliberal zinger hour

New thread title

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I didn't say she stuck to her core principles I said as a personality she didn't change when she got the job. Compare with Rudd trying to hide hes a sociopath and Abbott's literally everything and Morrison discovering hes a bogan.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Lid posted:

I didn't say she stuck to her core principles I said as a personality she didn't change when she got the job. Compare with Rudd trying to hide hes a sociopath and Abbott's literally everything and Morrison discovering hes a bogan.

bell jar posted:

The Real Julia™©

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I couldn't tell the difference between The Real Julia and what she was like before.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I couldn't tell the difference between The Real Julia and what she was like before.

same but tony Abbott as well

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Lid posted:

I'm sorry

The MARK brothers?!

I'm jhristopher Pyne in the article

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Lid posted:

Compare with Rudd trying to hide hes a sociopath

when did this happen?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

28766f69642a2930 posted:

when did this happen?

All of 2007-8 and most of 2009, publicly.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
tiny mp or giant scooter

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008