Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

baquerd posted:

Just going to leave it here that you can buy 2700 followers for less than $100, maybe $150 if you insist they are real and American.

Holy crap, dude. I was about to call bologna and say I'd buy 2,700 followers for $150 if you could send me a link, but it's even CHEAPER than that?!

Costs jump up to those prices per month if you want them to be real and engage with your content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

They say money can't buy you love, but it sure buys you likes.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Holy crap, dude. I was about to call bologna and say I'd buy 2,700 followers for $150 if you could send me a link, but it's even CHEAPER than that?!

Costs jump up to those prices per month if you want them to be real and engage with your content.

So how many of these followers do I need to stay in swanky hotels for free? 100k? So for $800/month can I spend a week or two at the Four Seasons?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Residency Evil posted:

So how many of these followers do I need to stay in swanky hotels for free? 100k? So for $800/month can I spend a week or two at the Four Seasons?

No idea on what it takes to start getting free stuff, but the monthly prices only come in if you want them to participate actively. Just following is a one time fee (until the followers get banned for being bots).

MayakovskyMarmite
Dec 5, 2009
Here is a great story about a guy that managed to get his band booked to a large music venue based solely around purchased social media and lies.

https://twitter.com/buzzingbugs/status/1060543770964439041

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

But how well does that get them paid

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Also sorry if your daughter is a minor and I sounded like a pedophile!!!

:chloe:

MayakovskyMarmite
Dec 5, 2009

quote:

Applied Systems is using a $210 million incremental loan to pay its private equity owners $200 million, a third dividend. Hellman & Friedman bought the Illinois-based firm in 2014 in a deal including an investment from JMI Equity.

When combined with two previous debt funded dividends of $390 million in October 2017 and $171 million in the year before, the owners will have recouped their entire initial investment in the firm in two years

I don't even really know who is being bad with money on this one, but I can certainly tell you who is very good at making money. Pieces of the loans will presumably be swept up into some CLO.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-11-28/america-s-heavily-levered-companies-layer-loans-on-top-of-loans

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

MayakovskyMarmite posted:

Here is a great story about a guy that managed to get his band booked to a large music venue based solely around purchased social media and lies.

According to his pinned tweet, he's actually a fake news puppetmaster
https://twitter.com/JeredThreatin/status/1062770023872299008

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I mean, Underworld isn't tiny, and it's moderately famous, being right outside Camden Town tube station, but calling it a "large music venue" may be overselling it a little.

https://twitter.com/buzzingbugs/status/1060927007750586368

Also lol, the venue made the "band" (which is apparently just the one dude and some professional musicians he hired) go to an ATM and pay for staff wages and venue fees before they let them play. It's basically just a lovely pay to play scheme.

(That Twitter thread, in which the music community figure this out and all start cancelling the rest if this guy's tour, is kinda fun, though.)

Edit:

https://twitter.com/TweetTheFridge/status/1061045568158552066

That said, apparently there's no such thing as bad publicity:

https://twitter.com/livinginachaos/status/1061411157142052864

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 30, 2018

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Going to break a rule here, but I felt it's good content fodder- over several drinks, the girl I've been dating a while was having a discussion at me about our future and mentioned something about her willing to go halfsies with me on an engagement ring. Something along the lines of a $20,000 price tag, ideally

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Murderball posted:

Going to break a rule here, but I felt it's good content fodder- over several drinks, the girl I've been dating a while was having a discussion at me about our future and mentioned something about her willing to go halfsies with me on an engagement ring. Something along the lines of a $20,000 price tag, ideally

Sever.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

And probe yourself.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Bird in a Blender posted:

I'm assuming that few million is just part of a much larger advertising budget? Is there any way to determine how much influence these people even have?

Anyway, moving away from "influencers" who all refer to themselves as influencers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a1irzq/inherited_house_cant_pay_mortgage_might_lose/
Inherited house, can't pay mortgage, might lose house before it can sell. Need advice please.

This one isn't too bad. I bolded the plumbing part because I can't understand someone saying that. I guess everyone wants plastic now, except those can have even worse problems than copper. Copper is like one of the best pipes you can have for plumbing in your house, the place probably just had lovely plumbers install it and now she has leaks at joints.

BWM for grandma to go interest only.

Yeah, sounds like OP in that one's going to get an estate lawyer to figure it out and get them at least some of the equity back from the house.

Also in grandma's BWM, though:

quote:

Whatever it is, about 15 years ago the HOA offered to replace pipes in all houses due to issues. My grandmother turned them down because she didn’t want to inconvenience anyone. She was too nice even though it would have cost her nothing. I don’t know the exact details on our plumbing, but ‘gently caress copper pipes’ has been uttered by our plumber several times. Doesn’t help they don’t show erosion until the leaks start springing up. It’s not just the pipes, but the water or something else shortening their use.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

therobit posted:

And probe yourself.

But this is good content

Bad With Money Dutch edition

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

therobit posted:

And probe yourself.
The important thing is to stop probing her immediately.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Murderball posted:

twenty grand, loving hell

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

gently caress how do people live with 20,000 on their hands, sneezing on it, wiping butts.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I mean people have gold toilets right?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

speaking of influencers and bad with money

ANOTHER one

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

You would think the headline would’ve mentioned they settled the charges.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Murderball posted:

You should be spending more than this, honestly.*

*Poster may or may not have serious equity in a diamond mine startup.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Wouldn’t a conflict free diamond cost more anyway? Maybe she wants a 1 carat total weight slightly champagne colored certified guilt-free diamond for $20k?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

get her a ring pop

#gwm

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

Wouldn’t a conflict free diamond cost more anyway? Maybe she wants a 1 carat total weight slightly champagne colored certified guilt-free diamond for $20k?

There is no such thing as a conflict free diamond since purchasing one will prop up the idea of diamonds having value either way.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

There is no such thing as a conflict free diamond since purchasing one will prop up the idea of diamonds having value either way.

Every diamond is a conflict diamond once you're married.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

It feels like Idiocracy when the SEC issues statements like: "Investors should be skeptical of investment advice posted to social media platforms, and should not make decisions based on celebrity endorsements”

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Tomfoolery posted:

It feels like Idiocracy when the SEC issues statements like: "Investors should be skeptical of investment advice posted to social media platforms, and should not make decisions based on celebrity endorsements”

Sure, but who has the time for silly things like “research” and “due diligence” when they’re a busy professional.

You’ll be surprised that they usually want growth, liquidity, and low risk

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Tomfoolery posted:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Nocheez posted:

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Murderball posted:

I don't think you needed to self-probe on this but I admire the integrity.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Nocheez posted:

Lol

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

War never changes.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

I don't even really know who is being bad with money on this one, but I can certainly tell you who is very good at making money. Pieces of the loans will presumably be swept up into some CLO.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-11-28/america-s-heavily-levered-companies-layer-loans-on-top-of-loans

Leveraged buyouts are such a loving racket. "Hey, we're going to buy your company by giving it a loan meaning technically *you* pay *us* for the privilege, and which you, the company we're buying, will pay back on unfriendly terms. Also we'll probably sell that loan to someone else soon".

It's a way for Private Equity to Get Paid up front without having to deal with the pesky aspects of running the business well and collecting profits. They also cut expenses to the bone (firing people left and right) to insure better cashflow for the loan payments - sorry, they restructure the company to streamline operations - and since generally they have 5 year or so timelines, as long as it can limp along for that amount of time it doesn't matter to them what happens after.

These assholes are just taking the game to a new level

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

howdoesishotweb posted:

Sure, but who has the time for silly things like “research” and “due diligence” when they’re a busy professional.

You’ll be surprised that they usually want growth, liquidity, and low risk

PDG is one of the dumbest loving places on the entire internet, and if the MAGA chuds don't get you, the utterly stereotypical simplemindedness about finance will.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
Just spoke with an employee under me who started booking OT hours at 8AM today and will likely have to work 10 hours today and 10 tomorrow. He gets time and a half and doesn't mind the work, but he's bitching that he "did some calculations" after his last OT paycheck to discover that he really only makes $6/hr OT because it bumps him into a higher tax bracket.

I spent a few minutes trying to gently explain that I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen to no avail.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I would love to see his calculations

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Ixian posted:

Leveraged buyouts are such a loving racket. "Hey, we're going to buy your company by giving it a loan meaning technically *you* pay *us* for the privilege, and which you, the company we're buying, will pay back on unfriendly terms. Also we'll probably sell that loan to someone else soon".

It's a way for Private Equity to Get Paid up front without having to deal with the pesky aspects of running the business well and collecting profits. They also cut expenses to the bone (firing people left and right) to insure better cashflow for the loan payments - sorry, they restructure the company to streamline operations - and since generally they have 5 year or so timelines, as long as it can limp along for that amount of time it doesn't matter to them what happens after.

These assholes are just taking the game to a new level

I read an analysis of private equity returns in the 80s that indicated that it was mostly a tax arbitrage, using interest tax shields to juice equity returns, and asset returns were generally not too different before and the leveraged buyout.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I would love to see his calculations
Money :) minus taxes :( equals :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

brugroffil posted:

Just spoke with an employee under me who started booking OT hours at 8AM today and will likely have to work 10 hours today and 10 tomorrow. He gets time and a half and doesn't mind the work, but he's bitching that he "did some calculations" after his last OT paycheck to discover that he really only makes $6/hr OT because it bumps him into a higher tax bracket.

I spent a few minutes trying to gently explain that I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen to no avail.

Maybe he meant he only makes $6 an hour more post-tax than his base rate and he's paid over $12/hr?

Probs not though, people are dumb as hell when it comes to marginal rates