Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Plutonis posted:

I'm at a local RPG event and man I've been out of touch with the local scene. I'm playing some grog wargames with people and I think i'm joining their weekend group since they play not too far from my neighborhood!

Historicals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

LeSquide posted:

Historicals?

Yeah, just got done playing a round of No Retreat! N. Africa Front.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Dr Snofeld posted:

Anyone use a Fire 7 tablet for tabletop gaming stuff? I have some gift cards and it's incredibly cheap right now, but I dunno how it handles PDFs and such.

It's not bad, but you'll have to spend a day ripping out as much Amazon software as possible so you can put in generic Android stuff. If you have more time or tech skills than money, it's a good idea. But otherwise, you might want a tablet that is walking adware.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Just less than fifty people on a saturday... Cripes, i guess its because the RPG people gather on the suburbs instead of the beach but still I've been to shittier anime cons with bigger attendances and these dudes managed to rent half a floor of a shopping center with a lot of space. Lotta cool tables though, made some wargamer friends, whacked people with swords and found out that a lot of books I never expected to be localized not only were but got physical copies!

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 25, 2018

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
That looks like a pretty decent setup even if the attendance numbers weren't that high, I dunno, I tend to prefer events where it's not super crowded anyway.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Okay I'm pretty sure that says "The strange" but just briefly I thought there was a storage RPG. Maybe you go into dungeons, automatically defeat whatever weaklings have the treasure, then play Diablo loot tetris and develop your character around what sort of things they just can't throw away.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Okay I'm pretty sure that says "The strange" but just briefly I thought there was a storage RPG. Maybe you go into dungeons, automatically defeat whatever weaklings have the treasure, then play Diablo loot tetris and develop your character around what sort of things they just can't throw away.

I swear I remember hearing something about a board game which was all about playing inventory tetris to try and make off with as much loot as possible but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was called or if it even exists.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Doesn't Torchbearer have that or am I getting confused with Mouseguard's write your inventory in a little box system.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
IIRC Torchbearer has a simplified form of inventory tetris where you have everything stacked in bags and it's possible to get a hole in the bag and have stuff start falling out the bottom (i.e. in the order it was put in the bag)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

golden bubble posted:

It's not bad, but you'll have to spend a day ripping out as much Amazon software as possible so you can put in generic Android stuff. If you have more time or tech skills than money, it's a good idea. But otherwise, you might want a tablet that is walking adware.

my kindle fire hd shows an ad on the lock screen. And that's all. It's highly ignorable and not some kind of ad apocalypse device.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Leperflesh posted:

my kindle fire hd shows an ad on the lock screen. And that's all. It's highly ignorable and not some kind of ad apocalypse device.

The UI is not great and a storefront first, but it's also not very hard to change without even rooting the device.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So, after using this story several times, I wrote it up as a one-shot Christmas adventure for Nobilis, if anybody wants such a thing.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Kai Tave posted:

I swear I remember hearing something about a board game which was all about playing inventory tetris to try and make off with as much loot as possible but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was called or if it even exists.

Pack n stack.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

So, after using this story several times, I wrote it up as a one-shot Christmas adventure for Nobilis, if anybody wants such a thing.
This is delightful.

Last year for my nobilis group I ran a scenario in which Niall retired from the role of Santa Claus and passed it on to former child actor now prosperity gospel huckster Kirk Cameron. "Saving Christmas From Kirk Cameron Saving Christmas."

In a true masterwork of scorched earth politics and design by committee, my jerkass players managed to keep the holiday away from Cameron by convincing the utterly terrifying Power of Destruction to become Santa instead. There was a lot of collateral damage.

So while I'm not sure I'll manage to adapt Destroying Christmas into this year's followup adventure for our table, the naming scheme obligates me to at least try!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Lambo Trillrissian posted:

This is delightful.

Last year for my nobilis group I ran a scenario in which Niall retired from the role of Santa Claus and passed it on to former child actor now prosperity gospel huckster Kirk Cameron. "Saving Christmas From Kirk Cameron Saving Christmas."

In a true masterwork of scorched earth politics and design by committee, my jerkass players managed to keep the holiday away from Cameron by convincing the utterly terrifying Power of Destruction to become Santa instead. There was a lot of collateral damage.

So while I'm not sure I'll manage to adapt Destroying Christmas into this year's followup adventure for our table, the naming scheme obligates me to at least try!

There's no way I can disapprove of this.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Kai Tave posted:

Is it Pack the Pack? I forgot I played that game until you reminded me.
http://www.gamesbyplaydate.com/pack-the-pack/

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The Storage is probably written by the same team as The Laundry.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Keep us posted on the Santapocalypse.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

This is delightful.

Hey I'm gonna steal this, thanks.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
If you haven't already, I highly recommend watching Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas beforehand as research, it's so stupid and insane you can't even really get mad at it. One of the best hatewatch movies of all time.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

No thank you.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

If you haven't already, I highly recommend watching Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas beforehand as research, it's so stupid and insane you can't even really get mad at it. One of the best hatewatch movies of all time.

I read a summary already and yeah... gonna have to watch it. The quote about surrounding your nativity scene with nutcrackers to represent the Soldiers of Herod is uh...

That's certainly an idea! (An idea for a combat encounter imo)

Vaguely related, I'm thinking of ductapping Gumshoe and Valor/Strike together for Superheroics and didn't know if anyone had any thoughts on that?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

My podcast did an hourlong examination of Saving Christmas a while back. That motherfucking movie is a bad, weird thing.

https://systemmasterypodcast.com/2016/12/14/movie-mastery-saving-christmas-2014/

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

So I've gotten this far, and I felt I should share it:

"Every Drow in the North Docks liked Danmas a lot...
But the Aelfir, who live up in Amaranth, did NOT!

High elves hated Danmas, and cancelled the season!
And we all know why: Oppression’s the reason.
It could be their goal was to crack down on the Knights,
It could be, like they said, to stop riots and fights.
But our Ministry knows that to control the drow,
The aelfir suppress worship of holy Danmou."

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'm going through some old books, and look at this:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

That Old Tree posted:

I'm going through some old books, and look at this:

He's a dimension hopper, he really gets around.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's clearly Mark Collins.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

That's clearly Mark Collins.

I'm gonna need the backstory on that clip.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

mllaneza posted:

I'm gonna need the backstory on that clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSZ9xkiBywc

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Blood Debts.

Best of the Worst covered Blood Debts, among others.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Having System Mastery covering Renegade Legion recently gave me a good cringe as I thought of that coming fairly close to being the very first Star Wars RPG.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Having System Mastery covering Renegade Legion recently gave me a good cringe as I thought of that coming fairly close to being the very first Star Wars RPG.

I love that show but occasionally they cover some really awful space nonsense like that and I just can't stay interested. It's like the Manos episode of MST3K.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Does anyone have any recommendations for RPGs that play well with 2? My wife and I have an itch to play pen&paper but my schedule makes it difficult to play more than just the two of us.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

berenzen posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for RPGs that play well with 2? My wife and I have an itch to play pen&paper but my schedule makes it difficult to play more than just the two of us.

Scarlet Heroes is specifically designed for 1 player 1 GM and is generally really well written to boot

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Pope Guilty posted:

I love that show but occasionally they cover some really awful space nonsense like that and I just can't stay interested. It's like the Manos episode of MST3K.

Renegade Legion is, at least, a more interesting game with historical context. It's easy to forget it had three video games, five different board games, novels, etc. FASA originally developed it to be their Star Wars game, but couldn't get the license, so they did an "original" setting instead and published it. FASA was good at pushing properties but their attempt at a spaceship equivalent of Battletech never quite caught on. Some of the spaceship rules were later recycled in Battletech products as well.

To be fair, the attitude they had for Renegade Legion is pretty much how I feel about Battletech (despite having played it a fair deal) - but then, I've probably never really gotten the appeal of most of FASA's output. They always put out products with high production values for their time, but I always felt there was kind of a uninspired, mechanical feel to most of what they did.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

FASA's Trek stuff had some pretty balls-out crazy moments as they tried to integrate the wildly disparate segments of canon into a single setting.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Scarlet Heroes is specifically designed for 1 player 1 GM and is generally really well written to boot

Sweet! Thanks, I'll take a look.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Pope Guilty posted:

I can sit through Manos, but holy poo poo The Starfighters.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

theironjef posted:

I can sit through Manos, but holy poo poo The Starfighters.

This guy gets it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Renegade Legion is, at least, a more interesting game with historical context. It's easy to forget it had three video games, five different board games, novels, etc. FASA originally developed it to be their Star Wars game, but couldn't get the license, so they did an "original" setting instead and published it. FASA was good at pushing properties but their attempt at a spaceship equivalent of Battletech never quite caught on. Some of the spaceship rules were later recycled in Battletech products as well.

I had an active college gaming group when RL came out. Interceptor had some interesting ideas like the flowchart damage systemm and the weapon templates; but it broke down badly in favor of whoever won initiative for a turn (we kept records, I won initiative 28/30 turns and then we quit). Centurion was a big deal. Anti-grav tanks and APCs with exotic weapons ? That signed 8 people up fora company on company battle. it was so loving tedious we didn't finish the game. Then someone did the math and discovered that the most powerful weapon in the core set needed multiple shots to kill the weakest vehicle. That killed interest in the game; it was bad at tanks. After the first supplement was published, we discovered that the biggest possible gun in the game couldn't one-shot the weakest possible vehicle in the game. That left the whole line buried in a shallow trench a couple of miles outside of town.

I've never managed to play Leviathan or Prefect. I wouldn't be surprised than no one has. By the time they came out, there was no reason to trust RL games with a whole session of play, and nobody wanted to spend the time to prove that another RL game was broken.